PDA

View Full Version : For those of you who take the C-train

copynpaste
08-17-2010, 10:50 AM
Why does it always smell like an outhouse? Seriously degrading to the citys reputation. I don't take the train often (thankg god) but its like you're paying $2.75 to commute in urinated trains. I mainly take the 301 express and trust me that bus gets packed and it never smells like someone just took a shit in their pants.

dj_rice
08-17-2010, 10:53 AM
I don't think its from the bus, I think its the people on the bus....

dino_martini
08-17-2010, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by copynpaste
Why does it always smell like an outhouse? Seriously degrading to the citys reputation. I don't take the train often (thankg god) but its like you're paying $2.75 to commute in urinated trains. I mainly take the 301 express and trust me that bus gets packed and it never smells like someone just took a shit in their pants.

You have to consider that bum's have been pissing them selves on the old Siemens–Duewag U2 cars since like 1986. They have had 20+ years of filth.

The 301 Articulated buses are basically brand new. If we keep them around for 20+ years I bet they will smell like shit as well.

wardpr68
08-17-2010, 11:12 AM
That and the 18-21 year old losers who think they are bad-ass for pissing on the train....

I remember my first beer.

e31
08-17-2010, 11:16 AM
When I was going to school I never found the trains to be that bad. It definitely is the passengers that reek up the joint though.

Unfortunately during rush hour it's the ethnically challenged people from the NE, and during off-peak its the cracked out bums.

Mitsu3000gt
08-17-2010, 11:22 AM
I regularly watched homeless people pee themselves and on the train when I rode it. Vomit too. Also a large number of people simply have zero personal hygiene. That is why it always smells. It also doesn't help that they don't seem to ever clean the cars - I've been on the first ones out of the train storage place before and they are as dirty as they were when they were put away.

One time I saw a huge fat lady (did not appear homeless, just zero hygiene - you could smell her from anywhere on the whole car) vomit on herself and just leave it there to stew.

Also, something to consider, is that it gets to be well over 40 celcius (I've measured) on the trains in the summer, and everyone is sweating their bags off with the piss poor ventilation. Even the newest trains smell like a bag of shit after 5 minutes in those conditions.

D'z Nutz
08-17-2010, 12:03 PM
Where the fuck do you guys take the c-train to and from?

I've been taking both the bus and train to and from school/work for the last 15 years (14 of them from the NE) and I've yet to see anyone shit, piss, and/or puke on the bus or c-train. I've never really experienced any horrible odours you guys speak of except the odd occasion when a homeless person stumbles on when entering downtown.

I deal with loud ass kids who try to be cool cause mom and dad aren't around more than anything else.

sputnik
08-17-2010, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

I've been taking both the bus and train to and from school/work for the last 15 years (14 of them from the NE) and I've yet to see anyone shit, piss, and/or puke on the bus or c-train. I've never really experienced any horrible odours you guys speak of except the odd occasion when a homeless person stumbles on when entering downtown.

I deal with loud ass kids who try to be cool cause mom and dad aren't around more than anything else.

Agreed. I have taken the train for 10 years and have never seen anything like that either.

I also agree that the kids talking loudly about how much weed they smoked or how many chicks they claim to have fucked on the weekend is FAR more annoying.

kaput
08-17-2010, 12:18 PM

Ukyo8
08-17-2010, 12:28 PM
Thank god I never take public transit

Swank
08-17-2010, 12:36 PM
12 years on the NE and NW line and I've only seen puke once and a dude smoking on the train once, and I ride at all hours. The smell of people drunk on mouthwash gives off a pleasant aroma, tantamount to the little pine tree swinging from the rear-view.

diamondedge
08-17-2010, 12:37 PM

+1
In 7 years riding the train, only once I've seen someone piss into the crack along where the door meets the cab. I think it was on the way back from Erlton station.

From 6am to 8am, it's just mostly people going to work, all dressed nice, thumbing BlackBerries, reading the Metro, or reading some lewd romance novel.

I get that on the way home from Uni. Or on the bus ride home. Standing around acting all hardcore. Or sitting with their feet up. All hardcore. Fight the power.

TimG
08-17-2010, 12:38 PM

This.

copynpaste
08-17-2010, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
I regularly watched homeless people pee themselves and on the train when I rode it. Vomit too. Also a large number of people simply have zero personal hygiene. That is why it always smells. It also doesn't help that they don't seem to ever clean the cars - I've been on the first ones out of the train storage place before and they are as dirty as they were when they were put away.

One time I saw a huge fat lady (did not appear homeless, just zero hygiene - you could smell her from anywhere on the whole car) vomit on herself and just leave it there to stew.

Also, something to consider, is that it gets to be well over 40 celcius (I've measured) on the trains in the summer, and everyone is sweating their bags off with the piss poor ventilation. Even the newest trains smell like a bag of shit after 5 minutes in those conditions.

Ive never seen that but i always see people picking their nose and wiping it on the seat or train handle bars like their painting a canvas.

Feruk
08-17-2010, 01:12 PM
I've seen two incidents of people urinating on the train but it was at close to 2 in the morning.

I think you guys are right about the NW line not smelling so bad; it needs an infusion. Today, 4:40pm, I'll be the guy with the backpack and sweaty stanky gym clothes tied to the outside of it.

1barA4
08-17-2010, 02:36 PM
Rotten hot dogs and feet.

That's what it smells like in the summer heat, especially around stampede time, and it's taken me nearly 30 years to pinpoint it's closest analog -- rotten hot dogs and feet...

Thank god I car pool now!

Gibson
08-17-2010, 02:46 PM
Word on the obnoxious youths. I'm not sure if they think it's cool to let everyone hear about their sexual exploits or if they're just completely oblivious to the world around them, but either way I always had to grind my teeth to relieve frustration when one of them was around.

It's one of the reasons I was so desperate to buy a car when I was in high school, I just couldn't take it anymore.

calgary403
08-17-2010, 03:33 PM
A little bit off topic but three stations were shut down today. The train wasn't running from Marlborough to Mcknight. Anyone know what happened?

wardpr68
08-17-2010, 04:08 PM
Apparently someone ran across a crossing trying to beat the train and didn't win..... I am not sure if thats where it took place, but I would assume so.

Mitsu3000gt
08-17-2010, 04:10 PM
I've been taking the bus/train for 14 years and I have more stories about 1-2 hour delays, busses not showing up, piss, vomit, etc than I can even count. I would ride the 56 Woodbine to Anderson station, and then from there train it to school/work all during rush hour times. By far the worst part of my life over those years was taking transit. I envy those who have no experiences like I have to speak of.

I moved downtown the day I could afford to and my 12 minute walk into work every day has improved my quality of life more than I can put into words.

masoncgy
08-17-2010, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by wardpr68
Apparently someone ran across a crossing trying to beat the train and didn't win..... I am not sure if thats where it took place, but I would assume so.

Yep, someone got smoked by the C-Train near the Peter Lougheed, I assume at the crossing on 26 Ave NE.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/2010/08/17/calgary-lrt-ctrain-death-pedestrian-northeast.html

rampagesauce
08-17-2010, 05:06 PM
if anything i hate the people on the c-train more then the smell.

they all act like cattle, get spooked like cattle, gather like cattle, and are too "polite" to say something when something does happen. wether its friends peeling off stickers, talking about their weekends (not even about how many whispering eyes they poked or smoking up, just casual weekends), a rowdy bunch of kids, or a bum pissing himself.

the people are always the first ones to ease drop, whisper when they talk, then act like nothings happening when something is. its fucking public transit, your allowed to talk normally, if you sit in a seat, expect me to sit beside you if their is a space, and if somehting is happening you dont agree with use your voice and speak up, or move to another car, or push the help button.

Majestic12
08-18-2010, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by e31

Unfortunately during rush hour it's the ethnically challenged people from the NE

What does this even mean?

What's an ethnically challenged person? Is it like a mentally challenged person?

copynpaste
08-22-2010, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by rampagesauce
if anything i hate the people on the c-train more then the smell.

they all act like cattle, get spooked like cattle, gather like cattle, and are too "polite" to say something when something does happen. wether its friends peeling off stickers, talking about their weekends (not even about how many whispering eyes they poked or smoking up, just casual weekends), a rowdy bunch of kids, or a bum pissing himself.

the people are always the first ones to ease drop, whisper when they talk, then act like nothings happening when something is. its fucking public transit, your allowed to talk normally, if you sit in a seat, expect me to sit beside you if their is a space, and if somehting is happening you dont agree with use your voice and speak up, or move to another car, or push the help button.

Oh I totally agree! Everyone on the train always try to act so discreet!