PDA

View Full Version : Laser pointer = charges

C_Dave45
08-17-2010, 06:07 PM
http://www.globaltvcalgary.com/world/charged+with+disrupting+HAWC1+flight+with+laser+pointer/3408492/story.html

BerserkerCatSplat
08-17-2010, 06:12 PM
I'm not sure what part of his brain thought that would be a good idea.

btimbit
08-17-2010, 06:30 PM
Some of the laws regarding laser pointers I find a bit silly, but at a helicopter? What a complete idiot

calgary403
08-17-2010, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by btimbit
Some of the laws regarding laser pointers I find a bit silly, but at a helicopter? What a complete idiot

:werd:

I bet he felt like an idiot when the police showed up.

theken
08-17-2010, 06:49 PM
good, who the fuck has laser pointers anyways, fucking retards...you ruined the fast and furious

InRich
08-17-2010, 06:55 PM
I dont think that was just any old laser pointer though. I think it was a high intensity one, sounded to me like it in the article anywauy

thecitizen
08-17-2010, 07:06 PM
Damn, I can't believe this happened in the NE!

aqure591
08-17-2010, 07:07 PM
maybe he's related to this clown who got busted in ontario a while back. http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/2010/04/06/tor-laser-helicopter.html. I also read somewhere else that some guy in edmonton was also charged with doing the same thing. This is starting to happen more and more, which is quite pathetic. Some people just got nothing better to do these days..

psycoticclown
08-17-2010, 07:09 PM
Those lasers are fucking strong. They can literally pop a balloon in less then 2 seconds. And visible for miles. Same lasers as the ones they use in firework shows. Imagine the damage to your eyes if it can burn through plastic...

diamondedge
08-17-2010, 07:15 PM
Explains why the chopper was flying around. Apparently class 3B lasers require a key/interlock system. The next class of laser can do skin damage.

turbotrip
08-17-2010, 07:48 PM
he got off too easy imo

AndyL
08-17-2010, 08:01 PM
Can we just not lock him in the helicopter - give the laser pointer to the pilots and close the hangar doors? Seems like a good solution to me...

Wait... we gotta disqualify him from AISH first...

derpderp
08-17-2010, 10:24 PM
Those real high powered lasers are cool, hand held burning lasers are fun, to bad morons have to ruin it for everyone else. He should get jail time for doing this. :banghead:

revelations
08-17-2010, 10:39 PM
He must have been a real smart one as it wasnt just a one time show, he went after HAWC on multiple occasions during the same event.

One would think that after you see HAWC conducting evasive maneuvers after the first event that it would come looking for you.

GQBalla
08-17-2010, 10:40 PM
wow what was he thinking?

CUG
08-18-2010, 12:04 AM
Canadian Aviation Regulation and Aeronautics Act is serious business.

RecoilS14
08-18-2010, 07:10 AM
EDIT: my view has changed to due new information. This guy is a moron. I was under the assumption it was a cheap laser pointer not an actual high powered laser.

everyone who posted something negative about this guy needs to go jump head first off a bridge.

Everyone, at one point in time has thought of doing this (or something similar) for shits n giggles, and given the chance would have done this. If your gonna argue with me on this then you need to give your head a shake.

Yes he shouldn't have done it a second or third time. But seriously, who the fuck goes into evasive maneuvers over the city.

Did he think he was about to be locked on by an RPG because he was over the NE?

The only idiots in this story are the guys in the helicopter.

(waiting for the high and mighty with a flame suit on)

08-18-2010, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by RecoilS14
everyone who posted something negative about this guy needs to go jump head first off a bridge.

Everyone, at one point in time has thought of doing this (or something similar) for shits n giggles, and given the chance would have done this. If your gonna argue with me on this then you need to give your head a shake.

Yes he shouldn't have done it a second or third time. But seriously, who the fuck goes into evasive maneuvers over the city.

Thinking about doing something and having the common sense not to are two very different things.

Sure ive thought about flipping the bird to a cop... but ive had the common sense not to.

Who the fuck points anything at a helicopter, police car, officer, etc? thats just straight up retarded.

RecoilS14
08-18-2010, 07:32 AM
He wouldn't have gotten caught if he didn't do it more than once. Would you be saying this stuff if he got caught? No.

If you were there with him and he pointed it at the heli and then you saw the heli go into evasive maneuvers you would have laughed your ass off.

Majestic12
08-18-2010, 07:43 AM
He's probably a Canucks fan too.

Tik-Tok
08-18-2010, 07:48 AM
He wouldn't have gotten caught if he didn't do it more than once. Would you be saying this stuff if he got caught? No.

If you were there with him and he pointed it at the heli and then you saw the heli go into evasive maneuvers you would have laughed your ass off.

Friend of Mr.McConnell are you?

How about I point a high powered laser into your eyes, while your driving down Deerfoot at 110km/h, in traffic?
Flying a helicopter isn't as easy as holding down the space bar to up and letting go for down. Being blind for 5 seconds could be enough for the heli to go into a spin the pilot wouldn't be able to get out of.

Yep. Hilarious.

RecoilS14
08-18-2010, 08:06 AM
Hmm let's see. A guy on the ground pointing a laser at a helicopter above him So your telling me that this laser is going to hit him in the eye from this angle?

arian_ma
08-18-2010, 08:20 AM
I just find it amazing that the guy hit a moving helicopter in the sky with a laser.

Tik-Tok
08-18-2010, 08:21 AM
Hmm let's see. A guy on the ground pointing a laser at a helicopter above him So your telling me that this laser is going to hit him in the eye from this angle?

:facepalm:

Do I seriously have to explain this to you? Apparently so.

If the guy was shining the laser at the bottom of the helicopter, somewhat underneath it. They wouldn't have even known there was a laser pointed at them. However since they DID know about it, he was probably shining it while it was off in the distance, at an angle. Do you see the LARGE windows in HAWC1? The windows that the laser could easily point through, even at an angle of 75*? Also, what do you think the pilot is DOING while in the air? Don't you think he might be LOOKING DOWN for suspects?

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/3407818.bin

Mixalot27
08-18-2010, 08:26 AM
"I was playing with it inside the house and it hit a mirror. It's not like I was inside pointing it at them. It's pure coincidence."

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Laser+pointer+incident+injures+HAWC1+crew+members+Calgary+charged/3409375/story.html#ixzz0wy3acfAc

revelations
08-18-2010, 08:27 AM

Idiots in the helicopter ?

I dont have stats in front of me, but I am willing to guess the HAWCs have taken hits from live rounds at least once in their existance.

Many guns have laser sights on them so its reasonable to assume if youre being lasered that youre also in the line of fire.

Thats probably one reason they fly "dark" mode with no lights sometimes at night.....going to a call that involves guns.

Just my guess :dunno:

DayGlow
08-18-2010, 08:28 AM

Laser beams expand the further they are from the source. The beam could over 5 feet wide when it hits the helicopter and illuminate the whole cockpit. If the pilot is looking in direction of the source it will be like being hi-beamed from hell.

If you bother to read the news stories Hawcs was over Franklin LRT and the laser came from Martindale, many km's away.

AndyL
08-18-2010, 08:32 AM
:rofl: Pure coincidence... He's 'playing' with a high powered laser - not your average keychain LED laser, we're talking 3-4 steps above those... I have one in the basement, used for cutting foam on a CNC that's a Class IIIB - it's about a foot long and draws damn near 5amps at 24vdc.

We're not talking your average play toy - and if he was "playing" with it outside bouncing it off mirrors - he should be charged with public endangerment.

Anomaly
08-18-2010, 09:01 AM

A class IIIb laser can cause eye damage off a reflective service...so potentially.

SilverGS
08-18-2010, 09:06 AM

Yes, because he is still an idiot.

No because there is a big difference between a prank you would laugh at and endangering peoples lives and interfering with police business.

Call me high and mighty all you want but if that is what you call fun then you must also enjoy looking for bums to beat up and throwing boulders off bridges at cars.

codetrap
08-18-2010, 09:30 AM

You're just a fucking idiot. You think it's funny to risk permanently blinding 3 people? How about I go borrow a class 3 laser and shine it in your eyes, and you tell me how funny it is? Or how about we go to the firing range, and we can shine the laser dot from some high powered rifles in your eyes. Would you like that?

I'm pretty sure the guys in the hawc's heli didn't know if the laser was from a rifle scope, or just that fucktard playing around, but if I was in their position, I would take evasive action too instead of just sitting there being painted in the sky.

Two Calgary police officers and a civilian pilot aboard the chopper were able to keep the aircraft under control and help find a suspect.

They'll be kept out of the air while doctors determine if they sustained any lasting vision damage during Monday night's scare.

Although Sgt. James Partridge wasn't aboard the chopper, he has been in the cockpit before when someone on the ground aimed a laser pointer.
"It's incredibly distracting," said Partridge, who said the light typically fills the entire cockpit. The crew donned protective eye-wear and began searching for the source of the beam, with help from officers on the ground. While the protective glasses can defend crews against a beam from a laser pointer, Partridge said they're too dark to be worn during normal flight conditions.

GoChris
08-18-2010, 09:51 AM
The guy is a retard, and so is anyone else that is trying to defend him or the situation.

Feruk
08-18-2010, 10:17 AM
Wow did the media ever blow the story out of proportion. Quotes like "were able to keep the aircraft under control " and "They'll be kept out of the air while doctors determine if they sustained any lasting vision damage during Monday night's scare" make it seem like their lives were in great jeopardy. What does the cop say? "It's incredibly distracting." That certainly doesn't sound like a life or death situation. +1 for the media having nothing to write about and blowing the story WAY out of proportion.

Having said that, I also don't believe the guy's story of how he was playing with it in his house and it bounced off a mirror. Once maybe, but three times?? Good defense though. I highly doubt most of those charges will hold up in court.

KLCC
08-18-2010, 10:25 AM
It appears its not the first time he has pulled this stunt. He was convicted before (1998) for pointing a Laser at a police car...

Source: http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20100817/CGY_Laser_police_100817/20100817/?hub=CalgaryHome

mr2mike
08-18-2010, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Majestic12
He's probably a Canucks fan too. :D

Enhance
08-18-2010, 10:40 AM
With all the security around the aviation industry, I can't believe anyone would think shining a laser at any aircraft is a good idea. What a fucking idiot, and three times in the same night? Send the guy to jail, his brain obviously lacks the capacity to function in society.

codetrap
08-18-2010, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Feruk
Wow did the media ever blow the story out of proportion. Quotes like "were able to keep the aircraft under control " and "They'll be kept out of the air while doctors determine if they sustained any lasting vision damage during Monday night's scare" make it seem like their lives were in great jeopardy. What does the cop say? "It's incredibly distracting." That certainly doesn't sound like a life or death situation. +1 for the media having nothing to write about and blowing the story WAY out of proportion.

Having said that, I also don't believe the guy's story of how he was playing with it in his house and it bounced off a mirror. Once maybe, but three times?? Good defense though. I highly doubt most of those charges will hold up in court.

Class IIB laser. Capable of blinding instantly. I imagine it's pretty tough to fly a helicopter blind, or with severely reduced vision. But hey, I could be wrong. Here's an idea, to everyone that thinks that this is being blown way out of proportion. Get a bright flashlight, like one of those 1M candlepower jobby's, then have your buddy stand in your garage, and shine it in your eyes while you try and get your car off the street, into the garage to park it.

Let me know how that goes.

Incredibly distracting..

http://www.pangolin.com/faa/laser-aircraft-animation-and-explanation.htm

http://www.pangolin.com/faa/images/runway-4pics_anim.gif

ICEBERG
08-18-2010, 10:58 AM
$hit... I been using my Polaris Laser Pointer every night pointing at the sky. Maybe should stop using it before i get in some kind of trouble. Sucks..:(

AndyL
08-18-2010, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Feruk
Wow did the media ever blow the story out of proportion.

What does the cop say? "It's incredibly distracting." That certainly doesn't sound like a life or death situation. +1 for the media having nothing to write about and blowing the story WAY out of proportion.

A standard laser pointer is probably incredibly distracting - but we're not talking about that, we're talking a much bigger much more powerful laser here. Love to know the specs and some details on hawc's glazing & whether they're wearing the typical military style helmets/visors. Could relatively quickly workout the exposure - but typical of class 3b lasers 1/100th of a second is all that's needed for permanent damage with the one I use. And I can tell ya - even with a 1/2" of acrylic covered with limo tint - I wont stay in the room when that lasers running - even with the safety glasses those occasional reflections are painful.

RecoilS14
08-18-2010, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by codetrap

You're just a fucking idiot. You think it's funny to risk permanently blinding 3 people? How about I go borrow a class 3 laser and shine it in your eyes, and you tell me how funny it is? Or how about we go to the firing range, and we can shine the laser dot from some high powered rifles in your eyes. Would you like that?

I'm pretty sure the guys in the hawc's heli didn't know if the laser was from a rifle scope, or just that fucktard playing around, but if I was in their position, I would take evasive action too instead of just sitting there being painted in the sky.

Did I say it was funny? No. I said if you saw it happen you would laugh because of the situation.

I said he shouldn't have done for it the second or third time. And at no point did I say riskin peoples lives is funny. So a giant go fuck yourself to you.

The high and mighty have risen pretty good it seems. But you need to put that thinking to the side and realize what was probably going in in his head at the time. Which usually what goes on in everyones head when they do stupid shit. It seemed like a fun idea at the time.

"Hey I got this laser, let's see if it would reach. Haha oh shut it did, oh snap they're freaking out lmao *runs inside*. Hey I wonder if I can get them to react again. Hahaha yep"

It's really easy to ca someone an idiot for doing stupid shut after the fact, but how many times have you done stupid shit without thinking of the consequences

Then he pushed his lick. Do you really think he was trying to do anything destructive? Most likely not.

RecoilS14
08-18-2010, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by KLCC
It appears its not the first time he has pulled this stunt. He was convicted before (1998) for pointing a Laser at a police car...

Source: http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20100817/CGY_Laser_police_100817/20100817/?hub=CalgaryHome

Well this little bit of news changes my whole outlook. This guy is a moron.

I was under the impression he was goofing arou with a laser pointer you get at walmart.

DayGlow
08-18-2010, 11:44 AM
You seem to fail the grasp of being responsible for your own actions. Not surprising as many people these days don't understand this concept.

It's not about being high and mighty, it's about common sense.

RecoilS14
08-18-2010, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by DayGlow
You seem to fail the grasp of being responsible for your own actions. Not surprising as many people these days don't understand this concept.

It's not about being high and mighty, it's about common sense.

Not at all, I always take full responsibility of my actions. Otherwise I would have erased my previous posts and claimed ignorance after I have had my opinion changed.

ICEBERG
08-18-2010, 12:03 PM
I use my Laser pointer for Astrophotography. It is a finder for deep space objects. I use it for tracking. I have a similar setup on my 8" telescope. Picture below shows the laser pointer on the bottom.

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/attachments/1860717-IMG_1829%20%28Medium%29.JPG

My question is? If let's say a Hawks passes by my laser when i am using it on my telescope, am i in deep $hit?

Xtrema
08-18-2010, 12:05 PM
^ I don't think the class of laser is the same.

EDIT: Telescope and gun sight uses IIIa which is under 5mW

He got caught with IIIb which is over 5-500mW.

Xtrema
08-18-2010, 12:11 PM

I guess you like throwing rocks off Deerfoot overpass and laugh your ass off too? And he's 34, not 14. Should have known better.

I don't see the difference.

derpderp
08-18-2010, 12:12 PM

Have you ever seen one of those before? It would be pretty damn obvious who was doing it because people are going to notice a giant green light stream coming from someones back yard.

8L3k70fi-4Q

And no I would never do this, first you can blind a pilot, second it is a federal crime. Just because I own a rifle doesn't mean I try and shoot buildings and things flying in the sky, just because I can.

Jason John McConnell, 34, has been charged with one count each of obstructing a peace officer and mischief endangering life. "They're blowing it way out of proportion," McConnell said in an interview Tuesday. McConnell said he commonly uses laser pointers in trade show displays and described Monday's incident as an accident. "I was playing with it inside the house and it hit a mirror. It's not like I was inside pointing it at them. It's pure coincidence."

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Laser+pointer+incident+injures+HAWC1+crew+members+Calgary+charged/3409375/story.html#ixzz0wz09toKJ

What a fucking child this guy is, honestly I'd expect this from a 8 year old. Yes he claims he managed to hit the helicopter three times all by mistake from pointing a laser at a mirror from inside his house. :facepalm:

revelations
08-18-2010, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by ICEBERG
My question is? If let's say a Hawks passes by my laser when i am using it on my telescope, am i in deep $hit? [/B]

a) how powerful is your laser?

b) you arent aiming it at them with intent to interfere with their operations. They may notice your beam if there is moisture in the lower atmosphere (like fog, mist, smog). But since its aimed in one direction, it shouldnt be a problem.

One more thing...
I'd be willing to be that within the next week there will be a rash of laser now being aimed at the HAWCs by copy-cats.

ICEBERG
08-18-2010, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by revelations

a) how powerful is your laser?

I went to check, and it is a 5mW laser pointer.

I copied this from the instructions:

Customer Note: A 5mW green laser is not a toy and can damage your eyes - even when reflected off another surface, such as a license plate, telescope mirror or windshield. Always supervise your equipment and never aim at aircraft.

topmade
08-18-2010, 12:29 PM
I guess I should stop testing our laser pointers on the court building when we have presentations. Damn that would suck to have cops come up and arrest me in front of everyone :rofl:

But the guy deserved it and apparently has a bit of an obsession with his laser pointing at everyone thinking it's a big joke.

codetrap
08-18-2010, 01:32 PM

Did I say it was funny? No. I said if you saw it happen you would laugh because of the situation.

Actually, by saying that I would laugh at the situation, you're condoning the humor of it. So, you, you're saying that it's ok to risk peoples lives for a laugh.

I said he shouldn't have done for it the second or third time. And at no point did I say riskin peoples lives is funny. So a giant go fuck yourself to you.
By your statement above, you would have thought it was funny to see the heli react. Sorry bud, it's pretty obvious you're trying to backpedal here in the face of overwhelming criticism.

The high and mighty have risen pretty good it seems. But you need to put that thinking to the side and realize what was probably going in in his head at the time. Which usually what goes on in everyones head when they do stupid shit. It seemed like a fun idea at the time.
There's nothing high and mighty about this. It's about "un"common fucking sense. Gee, all these warning here on this laser say "Don't point it at people, or aircraft. It's a crime. WILL Blind you if you look into the light!". Oh wait, I have to peel this safety warning off the front of the case before I can use it that says "Don't point it at anyone, strong enough to burn. Use with caution."

As for doing stupid shit? To be completely honest, the stupid shit I've done in my life has NEVER endangered anyone else. Its usually limited to stuff like "Should I really have tried to launch off that cliff on my snowboard, or maybe I shoulda looked a little closer before I went down that hill on my bike, or, that creek was a fuck of a lot deeper and faster than it looked." Never, "I wonder if it'll hurt if I snort this javex?, or my personal favorite, "Let's put hydrogen peroxide in this water pistol, then if we shoot people, their hair will turn white!" That kindof shit was always self evident to me, so I didn't need to mess with it.

"Hey I got this laser, let's see if it would reach. Haha oh shut it did, oh snap they're freaking out lmao *runs inside*. Hey I wonder if I can get them to react again. Hahaha yep"
By being able to see the humor, you obviously see and agree with it. I don't see the humor in it.

It's really easy to ca someone an idiot for doing stupid shut after the fact, but how many times have you done stupid shit without thinking of the consequences
I can count them on one hand, which oddly enough is a direct relationship to how many bones I've broken. NONE of them endangered anyone else, damaged anyone's property, or harmed anyone else. Contrary to popular belief, it IS possible to grow up and not do stupid shit.

psycoticclown
08-18-2010, 02:23 PM
Wow, people need to learn to read. Like RecoilS14.

It was stated NUMEROUS times before you even began to start posting that this wasn't a normal laser. These lasers can burn through plastic, pop balloons and literally destroy your eyesight in seconds. Same lasers used in fireworks show where they shine the beam into the sky. Those beams you can see from miles and miles away. We're not talking about a tiny dinky Wal-Mart laser. If you own a 3B laser, there is no way in hell you wouldn't know how dangerous they are. They will start shit on fire. You literally have to be a dumbass to shoot one at a plane and be like oh... I didn't know it would do damage. Fuck. It's like owning an air rifle and then shooting it at a passerby and being like oh, I didn't know it would hurt, you guys are just blowing it out of proportion.

And it isn't like he's doing it without thinking about the consequences. Would you shoot somebody and be like "Oh, I thought it was gonna be funny, I didn't know that it wasn't a good idea". And he did it 3 times. The chances that the laser bounced off of a mirror inside the house, then went through a window, then hit a moving target as small as the helicopter 3 times is absolute horseshit.

Fuck, people need to L2read :facepalm:

S13_Ryan
08-18-2010, 02:53 PM
^^ hahaha

RecoilS14
08-18-2010, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by psycoticclown
Wow, people need to learn to read. Like RecoilS14.

Fuck, people need to L2read :facepalm:

You are more than right. If I would have read the full article and what others had said fully I wouldn't look like a complete fucking tool right now.

So I apologize.

AndyL
08-18-2010, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by psycoticclown
The chances that the laser bounced off of a mirror inside the house, then went through a window, then hit a moving target as small as the helicopter 3 times is absolute horseshit.

As small as the Helicopter - 10.2km away as the crow...Erm hawc? flies. Right across the flight path to the rockyview helipad too - What would happen if that was stars not hawc1?

Holy crap - thing couldn't have been more than a spec, did he have some radar targetting gear or a scope connected to it?

TorqueDog
08-18-2010, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by DayGlow
Laser beams expand the further they are from the source. The beam could over 5 feet wide when it hits the helicopter and illuminate the whole cockpit. If the pilot is looking in direction of the source it will be like being hi-beamed from hell.

If you bother to read the news stories Hawcs was over Franklin LRT and the laser came from Martindale, many km's away. This. It puzzled me at first why everyone I talked to about this thought it wasn't as big a deal as it sounded. I guess the vast majority of people don't understand how lasers work.

RecoilS14
08-18-2010, 04:17 PM
[QUNOTE]Originally posted by TorqueDog
This. It puzzled me at first why everyone I talked to about this thought it wasn't as big a deal as it sounded. I guess the vast majority of people don't understand how lasers work. [/QUOTE]

Well I fucked myself by reading that it was a LASER POINTER as stated in the headline of this thread, the linked article headline, and the begginning of the actual article. So most people probably started to think like I did. What's the big fuckin deal.

A high powered laser like buddy was using is far different than a laser pointer.

Grogador
08-18-2010, 04:35 PM
Do not feed moron-troll with poor reading comprehension and confused moral compass. IIIb's are not toys, especially the cheap ones without IR filters. Send this fool to prison.

pPb3Zj8ccaM

TorqueDog
08-18-2010, 04:59 PM
Well I fucked myself by reading that it was a LASER POINTER as stated in the headline of this thread, the linked article headline, and the begginning of the actual article. So most people probably started to think like I did. What's the big fuckin deal.

A high powered laser like buddy was using is far different than a laser pointer. Well even then, high powered laser versus laser pointer, they still behave the same when being shot at something as high up as a helicopter from the ground. Like DayGlow said, imagine being high beamed x100.

alloroc
08-18-2010, 05:42 PM
PmtkIvR6llI

Agent_Oorange
08-18-2010, 06:12 PM
It's people like this that make it hard for those of us who perform laser shows for a living (well part time job for me, 20W lasers are fun), pisses me off everytime I hear something like this, sure high power pointers can be fun, but have some fucking common sense!

AndyL
08-18-2010, 06:37 PM
I was curious, so had to do the math... Now - only real comparison is this is a green class 3b to green class 3b laser. Mine is a .5w - who knows what this dumbass was using.

At 10km out, mine would have a beam diameter of 9.39" , Lets say it was reflected off a mirror, through a window (standard plate glass) 10km through air (at sea level)- then through a tempered window. Lets assume they dont run visors in the cockpit. 0.378 seconds - Before I've exceeded MPE and eye damage is likely.

300-400ms is the typical blink - thus basically blink of an eye - these guys would be at risk of damaged retinas.

But really - it's not that big a deal... It's just a prank, everyone thinks about doing it.

codetrap
08-18-2010, 06:50 PM

You are more than right. If I would have read the full article and what others had said fully I wouldn't look like a complete fucking tool right now.

So I apologize.

Dammit! How dare you derail our troll beating by being reasonable! :thumbsup:

lilmira
08-18-2010, 07:01 PM
He won't spend any time in jail neither. So he may be short a few bucks. No harm done, he should be able to laugh it off, no big deal.

Disoblige
01-06-2011, 12:06 AM
lol. Some moron pointing a green laser onto Global News Chopper and other helicopters in the air.

Hope it's not the guy who got the Green laser on Beyond :rofl:

roopi
01-06-2011, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by Disoblige
lol. Some moron pointing a green laser onto Global News Chopper and other helicopters in the air.

Hope it's not the guy who got the Green laser on Beyond :rofl:

LOL guy responds to 5 month old article as if it were current events.

Disoblige
01-06-2011, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by roopi

LOL guy responds to 5 month old article as if it were current events.
LOL. It was just on Global tonight, as this was another moron doing it.

:thumbsup:

roopi
01-06-2011, 12:41 AM

LOL. It was just on Global tonight, as this was another moron doing it.

:thumbsup:

I was j/k. Didn't realize it happened again.

speedog
01-06-2011, 12:41 AM
LOL at guy who didn't watch the 11:00PM Global news tonight. Interestingly enough, there was a news story on Global's 11:00PM news tonight about their own helicopter being targeted very recently this winter by someone on the ground with a green high power laser. Don't think that Disoblige should be criticized for bumping this thread as something current was on the news.

01RedDX
01-06-2011, 12:44 AM

speedog
01-06-2011, 12:46 AM
What was kind of amusing is that the Global helicopter followed the guy as he got in his truck and drove into an underground parkade at a condo complex - the video was probably good enough for police to figure which vehicle it was in that parkade and possibly even find the guy.

Disoblige
01-06-2011, 12:47 AM
I should have been a bit more clear. Yeah, they had a news story on Global this evening @ 11 pm since it happened so recent (I think ~10 pm-ish). Even showed the video of the green laser pointing @ their Chopper.

That guy must have been a total idiot. Didn't he know the last guy who did it got caught and arrested? :rofl:

FraserB
01-06-2011, 12:56 AM
Thank you for bumping this, some of the earlier comments are pure gold.

Anyways, group buy anyone?

NRGie
01-06-2011, 01:03 AM
How much do these laser pointers usually cost? Im assuming around 100-200+?

revelations
01-06-2011, 01:45 AM
I should have been a bit more clear. Yeah, they had a news story on Global this evening @ 11 pm since it happened so recent (I think ~10 pm-ish). Even showed the video of the green laser pointing @ their Chopper.

That guy must have been a total idiot. Didn't he know the last guy who did it got caught and arrested? :rofl:

Maybe he was also pointing it at a mirror in his house and accidentally blinded the aircrew.... accidentally.

derpderp
01-06-2011, 03:46 AM
Originally posted by NRGie
How much do these laser pointers usually cost? Im assuming around 100-200+?

Depends, you can get high powered lasers that cost into the $1000s, just google it.

If you're skilled in engineering type stuff you can use google and probably build one yourself.

Originally posted by revelations

Maybe he was also pointing it at a mirror in his house and accidentally blinded the aircrew.... accidentally.

:rofl:

Nah, they followed him outside, he was probably pointing at his rear view mirror of his truck and hit the chopper like three times, totally by mistake.

zieg
01-06-2011, 08:30 AM
Yeah, you can make your own easily enough. The most common way to do it is use a laser from an HD DVD player because they can be found dirt cheap. I think these look purple, so sometimes people prefer bluray diodes which cost more, but actually look blue.

I was looking into building one of my own, but what stopped me was the fact that I was looking at more than $50 for the materials to build the laser (special current regulating circuit, lens to focus the beam, etc), and then a couple hundred for decent goggles, since even looking at the dot reflecting off the wall can damage your eyes.

1barA4
01-06-2011, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by speedog
What was kind of amusing is that the Global helicopter followed the guy as he got in his truck and drove into an underground parkade at a condo complex - the video was probably good enough for police to figure which vehicle it was in that parkade and possibly even find the guy.

QR77 reported this morning that despite them following the guy in his white jeep to the condo complex, police were unable to identify or find the vehicle or suspect.

roopi
01-06-2011, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by 01RedDX

Someone just pulled a Graham_AM ;)

:rofl: Yes I did.