PDA

View Full Version : Exchange Mercedes Benz S320 Diesel in Europe

kizito
12-22-2003, 02:39 PM
Car Exchange (Europe vs Canada)

I am a proud owner of a 2001 Mercedes Benz S-320 CDI (Diesel). Because Canada had rules that prohibits the import of foreign cars unless they are 15 years old, or have been manufactured specifically for canada or the usa, I cannot ship my car to Canada.

I want to push my luck however. What I want is to see if there is an indicidual who owns the same car (or equivalent) who also plans to move to the United Kingdom or anywhere within the European Union. Perhaps there is a possibility of exchanging cars.

The car is in imaculate condition and is a left-hand drive even though I use it in London. It has only 30K miles.

Am I pushing my luck? I would rather exchange the car rather than selling and buying anew once in Canada.

I can provide additional details if there is a possibility for exchange. If you know anyone inerested, or ahve any guidance, that would be greatly appreciated. You can contact me directly if you wish at

[email protected]

Hakkola
12-22-2003, 02:48 PM
I don't think they ever sold the S320 CDI in Canada, what year is the car???? Are you moving here temporarily or long term???

Generally the lowest engine S class sold in Canada is the S430 and it's hard to find a diesel benz unless it is an older model, and from your mileage I'm guessing you have a newer model S-class...

Hope everything works out for you though.

sputnik
12-22-2003, 02:50 PM
I also wouldnt want to put North American diesel into a European diesel motor.

The diesel in Europe is WAY more refined.

/////AMG
12-22-2003, 03:15 PM
Hey, Welcome to Beyond.

First, I want to say you made a great choice moving to Canada from England. You will absolutely love it! I know I did. Once you see Canada and experience it, you will never want to move back to England (except for the reason that the U.K. has a lot more better cars :)).

Canada does NOT have and diesel powered Mercedes-Benz, except for the older models. However, the E-Class in 2004 or 2005 will be a diesel. No current S-class is in diesel, so you will not be able to trade for the exact car. Are going to stay here temporarily like Hakkola said or are you considering immigrating here? It also depends where you are planning on moving, most people eon this board are from Calgary, Alberta. There are a lot of Mercedes-Benz forum, but only few are Canadian.

Check your PM.

/////AMG
12-22-2003, 03:19 PM
Oh, I think you should sell you S-Class for a Mercedes-Benz 190 EVO I or EVO II and ship it here. Since they're so rare, you would have a better chane of finding one there, and you COULD sell it here on eBay for the right price, but If I was you, I would ship it over and keep it. :tongue:

redbaron303
12-22-2003, 04:38 PM
Ya, you're SOL on that car. If it was an 04 model year car but manufactured in 03 you would be able to import it if you recieved written consent from the CAD. gov't.

Sorry to hear about this, but don't try to bring it into the country b/c if it's found out that it doesn't meet the import criteria then they will seize and cut that car in half and that costs SO much.

Can you resell te car back in Europe? Possibly in a European variation of our autotrader?

nismodrifter
12-22-2003, 06:11 PM
you are out of luck here....

the last 2 diesel S-Classes that were made by MBZ for north america are:

1992: 300SD Turbo Diesel - first year of production for w140 style chassis......this engine had lots of problemz
and
1994-1995: S350 Turbo Diesel - I think there were only like around 100 of these sent to north america, and again lots of problems with the engine

there has been no other diesel s-class models since these cars were put out of production......

damn people in north america can't get their minds around the fact that DIESEL IS BETTER!!!!!:guns: :guns:

/////AMG
12-22-2003, 06:21 PM
Don't worry nismo, E-Class will be in diesel within the next 2 years.

nismodrifter
12-22-2003, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Porsche_944
Don't worry nismo, E-Class will be in diesel within the next 2 years.

meh......e-class diesel has been done alreday in every generation...WE WANT BIG BODY DIESELS!!!!

:D :D

/////AMG
12-22-2003, 06:44 PM
lol, BIG BODY EH?

How bout the GST?

EDIT: Wait its not diesel its half gas n half hybrid my bad, still a BIG vehicle.

hjr
12-22-2003, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by Porsche_944
you will never want to move back to England (except for the reason that the U.K. has a lot more better cars :)).
haha, except for the STi !!!