PDA

View Full Version : Please Help!!:do AB residents pay HST on cars purchased and brought back to AB??

jaysas_63
08-17-2010, 09:46 PM
hey guys,

i performed a search, and came up with nothing!

i've purchased used cars in AB, and have never had to pay any sort of sales tax on the cars, now this being said am i exempt from paying any sort of sales tax on a BC car, when i plan on bringing this car back to AB??

any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated!

thanks

EDIT: i'd like to clarify that i am talking about a private sale

revelations
08-17-2010, 10:41 PM
AFAIK you pay where you register your *privately* bought used car.

When you register in BC - you pay GST (now HST as well?).

In AB I've never paid any tax on used *privately* bought vehicles registered here. Which is odd as I thought GST was federal :dunno:

TYMSMNY
08-17-2010, 11:00 PM
If you're buying it in BC and you take possession of it in BC, you pay HST. All provinces have the same rules. Only exemption are private sales.

LEGiiT
08-18-2010, 01:55 AM
Uhh, my rents bought two cars from Weissach (Vancouver), one recent enough for them to pay HST and they did not have to pay the PST on the first and HST on the second, because they're from AB. I also went to test drive the 335IS @ Kelowna BMW for shits and giggles and they said if I bought it I wouldn't have to pay HST, I could even drive it away back home.

LOL @ the spam above.

jaysas_63
08-18-2010, 02:09 AM
great! well thanks all for the help!!:thumbsup:

Luke 96 T/A
08-22-2010, 05:17 PM
Just an FYI - I just bought a motorbike in BC... The dealership had me to register it in Alberta before I picked it up, and I didn't have to pay HST...
not sure if it's the same on private sales... I'd assume private sales would be tax free regardless..

TYMSMNY
08-22-2010, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by LEGiiT
Uhh, my rents bought two cars from Weissach (Vancouver), one recent enough for them to pay HST and they did not have to pay the PST on the first and HST on the second, because they're from AB. I also went to test drive the 335IS @ Kelowna BMW for shits and giggles and they said if I bought it I wouldn't have to pay HST, I could even drive it away back home.

LOL @ the spam above.

How is it spam? Just because the dealer let you (your parents) off the hook doesn't mean they didn't technically need to pay it. You'll need to register it anyways. What's preventing someone from AB buying a car in BC, not pay the tax, and registering it in BC?

You pay the tax from where it is delivered to, not where it was purchased.

boarderfatty
08-23-2010, 12:25 AM
With HST it is charged when registering the vehicle at their registries, not in the purchase, so if you buy privately and bring it strait back to alberta to register it you can avoid HST.

You can also gift an item to avoid HST.

Lastly I have heard that BC is implementing a program to not charge HST on used vehicles from dealerships, only private sales so that dealers can in turn pass the savings onto the consumer...

LEGiiT
08-23-2010, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by TYMSMNY

How is it spam? Just because the dealer let you (your parents) off the hook doesn't mean they didn't technically need to pay it. You'll need to register it anyways. What's preventing someone from AB buying a car in BC, not pay the tax, and registering it in BC?

You pay the tax from where it is delivered to, not where it was purchased.

Actually, there was a spam post above me that's what I was talking about...

Also, there is something preventing you from doing what you said, if you buy, then register a car in BC (or move to BC) within 6 months of purchasing it (if you're from out of province/country) you have to pay HST.

Liam.

clem24
08-25-2010, 12:24 PM
So what happens now when you import a car from the States? It used to be that the Feds would collect GST at the border, and each province would collect PST when it is registered if that province collected PST. So what happens now?

dirtsniffer
08-26-2010, 01:28 AM
I was under the impression you would have to pay hst when you bought it, but when you filed taxes it would be returned

GTO
08-26-2010, 04:07 AM
My friend brought a vehicle up to Ab from BC a few years a go. it was a private sale. we drove it to calgary and didnt have to pay any taxes. we just had to get all the inspections taken care off. We just paid the guy and got a bill of sale and drove back.