View Full Version : Review: Nha Trang Vietnamese Restaurant

me_dennis
08-17-2010, 10:13 PM
Restaurant Name: Nha Trang
Food: 4/5
Ambience: 5/5
Service: 4/5
Value: 3/5

This is a new vietnamese/pho restaurant in the stripmall on Panatella Street. I decided to try this place out because I was craving pho and it was close. Turns out that it is actually a pretty decent pho restaurant that's located in the NW. I got the pho dac biet, and there was plenty of meat, soup wasn't too full salty or anything. Decided to try the pho sate another time, and it is AMAZING!!!

definately check this place out. It's clean, food tastes good. Only downside is that it's a bit more pricey than other pho places, but that's expected out of a place in the NW. Expect to pay around $10-12 per person (no drinks, and after tip)

Definately worth checking out for the pho sate alone!

hampstor
08-18-2010, 08:51 AM
This is the place beside the rexall right?

Have you tried Green Papaya in creekside? if so, can you compare them for me? I need to gauge if I want to try this place out or not. :rofl:

Was the $10-12 for just pho sate or was there spring rolls anything else with it?

Do they have anything else... ie : hu tieu/bo kho/bun bo hue ?

Mibz
08-18-2010, 08:56 AM
Uh, if this is the same Nha Trang that moved from Elbow and Heritage, it's pretty good from a white guy perspective. We used to drive up there from Sundance because we didn't like any closer places that much.

It was mostly staffed by teens and they used to play J-Pop, it was pretty awesome. Their "Soup with sliced beef" and "Not soup with BBQ pork and spring rolls" was always good.

Now it's Bow River Restaurant or something and it sucks.

v2kai
08-18-2010, 09:14 AM
agreed. it's not bad other than they stingy on the eggs with pork chop on rice. but as OP said, for the NW not bad at all. I'd say your review is accurate and fair. The couple extra bucks are worth having pho right around the corner

98type_r
08-18-2010, 09:18 AM
I have to agree with the OP, food is good and the only downside is the prices are a little higher. I've been in the restaurant once on a weekday around 8pm, so it wasn't busy at all, only one other table. So service was good and our food was out quickly. The sate is very good, they don't just throw in hot sauce like a lot of places do.

I've been to the Green Papaya in Creekside, and I really didn't like it. They have really small portions for similar prices as what you would see at Nha Trang. They also share a space with the Indian place, it's not next door, it's all in one open space with a divider down the middle. It's a little different having a bowl of pho and smelling curry from the other side. The service we had was also very slow on the Sunday afternoon we went, it wasn't very busy either.

me_dennis
08-18-2010, 05:53 PM
if i remember correctly, a Large Pho sate was 9.50 or so... but there were other dishes that were over $10.

I believe they also have bo kho and bun bo hue as well.

spring rolls were quite more expensive than other places ($6.50ish) so I didnt try that out.

but once again, the pho sate is worth the trip alone.. the convenience of having a decent pho place in the NW is probably the best thing.

K3RMiTdot
08-18-2010, 06:06 PM
Guys, im not quite picturing where this is, is this near the pizza hut and the macs? Im terrible with my road directions.

v2kai
08-18-2010, 06:16 PM
no its further west tucked up against stony. where you see the on and off ramp from stony trail. right there should be centered in the googlemap

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=51.168338,-114.089584&spn=0.019482,0.038581&z=15

me_dennis
08-18-2010, 06:24 PM
easiest way to get there is to take stoney east from beddington trail, then take the 14th street exit. It takes you right to the strip mall.

There seems to be a new pub called Tudor Rose opening there too. I actually think the grand opening was this week.

legendboy
08-19-2010, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by hampstor
This is the place beside the rexall right?

Have you tried Green Papaya in creekside? if so, can you compare them for me?

I think I could make better pho at home by taking some water out of my salt water fish tank, heating it up, throwing some noodles and meat in

:barf:

Kloubek
08-19-2010, 09:25 AM
I don't mind the Green Papaya. It's close, at least.

But seriously guys - take the time to drive down to Tango... located directly East from Dennys and A&W on the corner of McKnight and Edmonton Trail. (Where the old Tims used to be). The food is good, and the ambience is the best of any Pho rest. I've ever been in.

Another place we really enjoy is Pho Hong Viet - by the newer tall apartment building on Bow. (Across the street from the Walmart). The ambience is ho-hum, but the food is excellent.

n1zm0
08-19-2010, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by legendboy

I think I could make better pho at home by taking some water out of my salt water fish tank, heating it up, throwing some noodles and meat in

this is the dictionary definition for oriental phoenix's pho to the tee, my caucasian friends in college insisted it was THE best they've ever tried :nut:

hampstor
08-19-2010, 10:07 AM

I know... it's awful. I wrote a review somewhere on here about it. :barf:

Stunt66
08-21-2010, 01:50 PM

even with just salt water and noodles the pho would be better at home. I was hoping they'd have decent pho but for what they charge you should be getting something you'd drive cross town for. Their larges are over $10 and I think their salad rolls were over $5.00 for 2. I don't mind payin for good pho but that place is a joke!

D911
08-22-2010, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by me_dennis
easiest way to get there is to take stoney east from beddington trail, then take the 14th street exit. It takes you right to the strip mall.

There seems to be a new pub called Tudor Rose opening there too. I actually think the grand opening was this week.

Tudor Rose opened last monday. not sure if/when their grand opening will be.

Large menu regular pub fare, and they got burgers, sandwiches, steaks, pasta, appies between 8-12 bucks, and entrees $10-20, most around 12-15ish though, food should be pretty good, chefs imported from india lol.

good drink selection, i think 12ish beers on tap. way better pricing on the drinks than flight deck..when it was still around.

clem24
08-30-2010, 10:15 AM
I'll never set foot in that Green Papaya place ever again. First off, service was terrible. We sat at our table, in an EMPTY restaurant, for over 15 minutes before anyone even came to our table. We left without even ordering (and no order taker even showed up) because the smell of the Indian buffet was making us nauseous. Indian food is great when you're actually eating it, but having to smell it in a stuffy restaurant....... :gag

1barA4
09-13-2010, 08:48 AM
Got food poisoning from the Bun Rieu at Nha Trang last Thurs....I was glad they actually had it but regretted it for days :barf:

Sorath
09-13-2010, 11:35 AM
Must try, but most probably will disapoint me, i drive across the city for good pho, usually stick with pho dau bo/basil/pho88

npham
09-13-2010, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by 1barA4
Got food poisoning from the Bun Rieu at Nha Trang last Thurs....I was glad they actually had it but regretted it for days :barf:

Ah really? It's so good with real crab meat....I'm so scared to try it, but I want to so bad.

mikey008
09-13-2010, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
Uh, if this is the same Nha Trang that moved from Elbow and Heritage, it's pretty good from a white guy perspective. We used to drive up there from Sundance because we didn't like any closer places that much.

It was mostly staffed by teens and they used to play J-Pop, it was pretty awesome. Their "Soup with sliced beef" and "Not soup with BBQ pork and spring rolls" was always good.

Now it's Bow River Restaurant or something and it sucks.

Yes it is....they sold the place and relocated to the NW cuz it's only 2 blocks from their house in Panorama!

Well you will definitely find me there, because its my new in laws restaurant! So i'll be there volunteering at times!
Pretty much the staff you see are the kids......and their significant others! haha a good way to save cost on hiring ppl! haha

mikey008
09-13-2010, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Sorath
Must try, but most probably will disapoint me, i drive across the city for good pho, usually stick with pho dau bo/basil/pho88

Kasem....drop by man since you live in the area now! haha

1barA4
09-21-2010, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by npham

Ah really? It's so good with real crab meat....I'm so scared to try it, but I want to so bad.

Real bun rieu is good (like when mom makes it)
This had SOME of the taste of the fried minced crab from the jar (in the egg) but unlike at home, not a lot of crab itself. For a restaurant, decent amount of shrimp.

I may go again despite getting vicious food poisoning simply because doesn't seem like I can order it anywhere else...maybe at the one that's on 17th ave se between 68th and 52nd (in the minimall with the gas station on the north side of the street)...

calgary403
09-22-2010, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by 1barA4

Real bun rieu is good (like when mom makes it)
This had SOME of the taste of the fried minced crab from the jar (in the egg) but unlike at home, not a lot of crab itself. For a restaurant, decent amount of shrimp.

I may go again despite getting vicious food poisoning simply because doesn't seem like I can order it anywhere else...maybe at the one that's on 17th ave se between 68th and 52nd (in the minimall with the gas station on the north side of the street)...

That place closed down it's some carribean joint now.

Chandler_Racing
09-23-2010, 03:00 PM
Went here today and had the Satay Beef Soup.

Definitely one of my favorite places and being close to my place does not hurt.

Type_S1
09-23-2010, 03:15 PM
Went here last week.
Our group ordered the Sate beef soupx2, Mixed verm. and stir fried chicken, spring rolls and salad rolls.

Soup was above average but a little stingy. Verm my friend said was good. The stirfried chicken was decent and the spring rolls were actually disgusting. Salad rolls were as usual.

I would give this place a 2.5/5 for food. Way to expensive for quality of food.

Service was really good though even though we had to ask for refills. 3.5/5

This was the cleanest pho place I've ever been in(give it a few years) so atmosphere gets a 4 from me.

My suggestion to this place is make some decent damn spring rolls. Those were complete garabage a took a bite and left it on the plate. Stingy ass people with the meet and filled the whole thing with carrots.

To be honest I went here because on beyond I read it was decent and is only about a 10min drive from the house but for the price and quality of food I won't be going back.

Noodle world and pho thanh for the win.

Sorath
09-23-2010, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by mikey008

Kasem....drop by man since you live in the area now! haha

not yet... next week

hampstor
11-06-2010, 08:02 PM
After a meeting tonight I had a hankering for bun rieu and remembered this place had it (thanks to this thread).

Decided to stop in and get take out bun rieu on my way home.

- Food rating 1/5

The broth did not have a lot of flavour - it was just really salty. It tasted like they dumped a bottle of fish sauce into a boiling pot then added the bun rieu paste you can buy at a store. (Loss of 1 point)

The "rieu meat" was just egg and canned crab meat. No pork mixed in there and not enough egg. When opened it at home it wasn't in large chunks as it should be - mostly flaked, canned crab meat mixed up in the broth with a few pieces of egg in it. (Loss of 1 point)

Additionally, it was lacking the key things that make bun rieu what it is:

- No shrimp paste and chilli garlic sauce provided
- No shreded banana blossoms
- No water spinich stems -> This is a MUST for bun rieu. I'm almost inclined to give them a ZERO because of this alone.

Instead of those key things that come with bun rieu i got:
- Shreded iceberg lettuce
(Loss of 2 points for this)

- Ambience 5/5

It was nice, clean and bright inside while I waited for my food. I gave it a 5/5 because for a Vietnamese resturant, it really is a 5/5 :rofl:

The TV was playing a hockey game tho it wasn't in HD.

I didn't get a chance to checkout the bathrooms (usually most viet restaurants have disgusting bathrooms), however I see no reason to think this place was like other viet restaurants.

- Service N/A /5

It was takeout, couldn't tell what service was like there. For the few minutes while I was waiting for my food, no one complained. :)

Verdict:

Would not go back for bun rieu. Additionally, my bun rieu was a whopping 9.25 + tax. I didn't order spring rolls because I saw the price of 6.25 for an order. That's more than half of my meal for a few spring rolls. Forget that.

If you want Bun Rieu, check out TNK up in Monterey. It's 15-20 minutes down the ring road but well worth the drive.

Edit (7-nov-10): following day report. My body has rejected the 'food'. :barf:

dj_rice
11-06-2010, 09:04 PM
Bun rieu has banana blossoms?Jigga what.......

hampstor
11-06-2010, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
Bun rieu has banana blossoms?Jigga what.......

http://wanderingchopsticks.blogspot.com/2009/12/bun-rieu-cua-tom-oc-vietnamese-rice.html

msommers
11-07-2010, 12:28 AM
Pho Dau Bo. Best pho I've had! Fuck I want some right now!

Kavy
11-07-2010, 02:27 AM
I live about a block away from here and tried this a few days ago.

Very very clean for a viet restaurant :)

Big fan of the Salad Rolls, had the Nha Trang Deluxe Verm (Bun Dac Biet - shrimp, beef, chicken and spring rolls) and was impressed.

I will agree with everyone else that the prices are a bit high, the 6.75 salad rolls are about 1.25 too much IMO and most of the dishes are 1-2 too high.

I will however be back mostly because the food is good and the place is a 5 minute walk.

legendboy
11-08-2010, 09:44 AM
This place is pretty decent. Its only a few mins from home, which is nice.

Pho is pretty damn good, spring rolls are good to, bit too much carrot.

Green papaya is pure dog shit, horrible salt water pho :barf:

Type_S1
11-08-2010, 09:54 AM

spring rolls are good to, bit too much carrot.

The spring rolls here are the worst I have ever tasted. They are absolute shit and overpriced. Too much carrots? The whole thing is carrots I didn't even taste meat in mine.

redblack
11-11-2010, 09:02 PM
Treid it a few days ago, the food was O.K. but its pricey. Id rather drive to pho thanh or TNK. The only good thing they got going for them is that it's clean

bigbadboss101
04-10-2011, 07:47 PM
Older thread but I would add my two cents. If you are in that area there are a few choices. I don't remember the names of the restaurants but the ones I have been to are:

- Pho Thang? The one in Hunterhorn Plaza. Quite good, lot of customers. Quick service.

- Bobby Choa. I went after work and it was not busy. Pretty good food.

- The one near Sobeys in Coventry Hill. I went a couple years ago and thought it was ok. Went couple weeks ago and found the special noodle soup very good.

- Saigon Pearl by T&T. A bit more fancy looking. Good food but I prefer the other three.

v2kai
04-10-2011, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by v2kai
agreed. it's not bad other than they stingy on the eggs with pork chop on rice. but as OP said, for the NW not bad at all. I'd say your review is accurate and fair. The couple extra bucks are worth having pho right around the corner

I'll update my previous recommendation on this place. It started off semi decent prices were a little up there, but its been going downhill ever since.

Food just tastes horrible. Broth is disgusting. Rice dishes are ...ok. Overall I would not recommend. I live down the street but I'll be making the trek elsewhere for decent food.:thumbsdow

Civic_Drift
06-25-2011, 06:46 PM
I ate here yesterday with a few friends. My rice vermicelli dish was pretty tasty, but $11.50 is definitely pricey compared to other restaurants.

hampstor
06-26-2011, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by bigbadboss101

- The one near Sobeys in Coventry Hill. I went a couple years ago and thought it was ok. Went couple weeks ago and found the special noodle soup very good.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/250449/review-taurus-vietnamese-restaurant/

Gooseberry
06-26-2011, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by hampstor

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/250449/review-taurus-vietnamese-restaurant/

Sounds exactly like the experience i had there so :barf: is right, seems the only good place up north imo would be Pho Thanh in Hunterhorn.

Though for the people raving about Pho Dau Bo i find their Sate to be kinda gross.

[Yu]
07-11-2011, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Gooseberry

Sounds exactly like the experience i had there so :barf: is right, seems the only good place up north imo would be Pho Thanh in Hunterhorn.

Though for the people raving about Pho Dau Bo i find their Sate to be kinda gross.

I am curious to as what about their Sate that you don't like?

Perhaps you could try Basil on 32nd Ave. That place is my favourite.

My top 3 are:

1. Basil
2. Pho Thanh
3. Pho Dau Bo

Only reason Basil is #1 is because of the flavour, but overall in terms of price and flavour, Pho Thanh is my favourite.

Was checking this thread again to see how the reviews are, but so far, no improvement so I will probably pass on this place.

masoncgy
07-11-2011, 11:08 PM
+1 Pho Thanh ... I ate there for years... now I want some!