PDA

View Full Version : License suspension from Ontario

vtecuser
08-18-2010, 12:56 AM
Hey guys I just have a question for my dad, he was recently driving in Ontario and got pulled over going 62 over the speed limit 142 in a 80 zone on the highway. My dad went through the process of having the car seized for 7 days and his license suspended for 7 days. So the question is does he need to get his license reinstated in Alberta to be able to drive again? or can he drive since the 7 day suspension is up?

DayGlow
08-18-2010, 05:38 AM
In Alberta when your license is suspended it stays that way until you reinstate it, except for 24 hour suspensions. No idea how Ontario works. He should contact them to find out.

If his license still shows suspended to a cop on his computer he will receive a mandatory court summons and the vehicle he is driving is seized for 30 days.

Not a good risk to take. Since Ontario would be the place that would input he is suspended they would be the best bet to find out how to reinstate his license.

vtecuser
08-18-2010, 07:59 AM
Thanks for the answer, its probably best to contact them. Do suspensions while in Ontario carry over to Alberta?

DayGlow
08-18-2010, 08:21 AM
Yes, a suspended license any any province carries over across the country.

kamakurakid
08-18-2010, 09:59 AM
You cannot work the system, you did the crime, now do the time. Suspended is suspended right across Canada and into the USA. Why do people think they are not to be held accountable? Frickin' eight year olds on the roads.

cam_wmh
08-18-2010, 10:05 AM
Actually, I have seen the system worked, and it's sad.

An old acquaintance from Saskatchewan received 3.. THREE.. TROIS.. DUI's before he moved to Calgary. He was driving suspended during the 3rd instance. All the DUI's were in Sasky.

He moved to Calgary at 21 or 22 yrs old, and went to Motor Vehicles with his Birth Certificate & Social Insurance ID, and said he was a brand new driver.

Took his class 7 exam, & walked out with it that day. Took his class 5 sometime after, and was registered & insured with a new'ish truck a couple months after arriving.

:dunno:

dexlargo
08-18-2010, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by kamakurakid
You cannot work the system, you did the crime, now do the time. Suspended is suspended right across Canada and into the USA. Why do people think they are not to be held accountable? Frickin' eight year olds on the roads. What's your problem? The OP said that the suspension was in Ontario for 7 days and now the 7 days are up. He now wants to know if anyone can tell him if the license is automatically reinstated or if his dad needs to do something to have it reinstated. I don't see him trying to avoid anything.