PDA

View Full Version : Selling a vehicle without declaring accident

hollywood_35
08-18-2010, 05:58 PM
Hey ya'll, it's been a few years since I've been here. But I need a quesiton answered relatively fast and I know you guys are good for it. Here it goes.

In late 2008 I bought a truck from a GM dealership here in town, and I got it during the indoor truck sale, and it seemed like a good deal. It was a 2005 GMC Sierra, and on the second day of having it, I drove it down the highway to work and one of the plastic OEM caps from the bed rails blew off. It was dark out, so I never noticed. Upon seeing the exposed bed rail, it was obvious that the entire side of the bed was replaced and the bedrail was probably put on with busted clips and that's why it took flight. I also later noticed that the rear passenger door never closed properly, and the front passenger door had quite a bit of wind noise on the highway. I took a closer look and realized that the passenger side of the truck had been replaced, both passenger doors, C pillar, and bed side. To boot, it was done very poorly. I was never bothered by it, figured it was my fault for not looking too closely. I am looking at trading the truck in for a newer one at the same place. This truck is very low km and quite pricey, on top of that I have to put 4 grand on top of my current truck to pay out the loan.

Here's my question, I have been going over this idea with co-workers and they mentioned that the dealership could not have sold me a truck with a major accident like that without declaring it to me first. Is this true? If that's the case, instead of legal action, I want to offer them to give me what I owe on my current truck as trade in value, therefor I would just give them my old lemon and buy the new truck, start from scratch. Can anyone back me up here? Do I have a leg to stand on legally? I can throw that in their face when we're dealing on the truck, and see if they're willing to keep my business or just disregard me as a young person. Thanks.

RUQUIKR
08-18-2010, 06:05 PM
If you want to get anywhere go straight to AMVIC and make a complaint. They will tell you if the dealer can be held responsible.

Tik-Tok
08-18-2010, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by hollywood_35
I am looking at trading the truck in for a newer one at the same place.

Why? They fucked you on the first one (deliberately, I'm sure), why would you WANT to buy another one from them?

Do a carfax, or even better, carproof. If there was an insurance claim, they HAVE to tell you. If there wasn't (i.e. previous owner got into an accident, took cash, and fixed it himself, avoiding insurance company), then you're pretty much screwed.

Now unfortunately, they could also say they "didn't know about the accident", which of course would be BS, since every dealership carfax's these days.

X_EVO_X
08-18-2010, 06:14 PM
Dealer had to disclose. Its not your responsibility to ASK they should tell you through out the process at some point. Just as they assume you would tell them if your trade had a hit ( they dont take your word for it, they run a car proof, which next time Id do too!)

hollywood_35
08-18-2010, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Why? They fucked you on the first one (deliberately, I'm sure), why would you WANT to buy another one from them?

Do a carfax, or even better, carproof. If there was an insurance claim, they HAVE to tell you. If there wasn't (i.e. previous owner got into an accident, took cash, and fixed it himself, avoiding insurance company), then you're pretty much screwed.

Now unfortunately, they could also say they "didn't know about the accident", which of course would be BS, since every dealership carfax's these days.

I'm going back because it's really the only GMC dealership in town, and out of all the dealerships I had looking for the exact truck I wanted, they found it. I'm not going to buy this new truck if they have no interest to correct what they did. If they correct it with a price cut on the new one, I'll continue to do business with them. I'll be dealing with the manager this time instead of a salesperson.

If they play the not knowing role... I'll argue that I was 19 years old and could point out every part of the truck that was replaced, but an entire shop full of mechanics couldn't? That's a stretch.

Rat Fink
08-18-2010, 09:18 PM

Zero102
08-19-2010, 10:49 AM
This is 2 years later, you don't have much of a leg to stand on if you want to go argue that it was previously in a crash and you should get a discount on a new truck.

In my opinion you should return the favor. Trade it in and disclose nothing at all about any of the possible past damage to them, and tell them it has never been in an accident when they ask.