PDA

View Full Version : Review: Holy Smoke BBQ and Smoke Pit

me_dennis
08-18-2010, 06:12 PM

Name: Holy Smoke BBQ and Smoke pit

Price: $10-15 for a sandwich, drink, and side. They also serve beer.

This place reminds me of the southern BBQ shacks that you would see on Diners Drive-ins and Dives. As soon as I pulled into the parking lot, I could smell the aroma of authentic smokey BBQ. When I stepped inside, people were seated on picnic tables inside, with trays lined with was paper full of BBQ ribs, pulled pork and beef brisket sandwiches, baked beans, macaroni salad, you name it.

I decided to go for a small 4oz pulled pork sandwich ($5.50) with a few pieces of ribs ($1/bone). The large sandwiches were 8oz of meat and were around $9. Along the wall was a wide variety of different BBQ sauces, ranging from smokey hot, original, applewood, tequila, and more (probably about 10 different sauces in total)

Service was quick and friendly. The gentleman at the till was super nice and asked if I had any questions about the menu. Very friendly and pleasant.

The atmosphere is awesome. There were a good mix of office workers and construction workers, which is quite common for the area, much like the crowd you would see at Rocky's Burger Bus down the street. There are spots to sit down inside, which is nice because the meal gets quite messy. Definitely would be messy to eat in the car.

As for the food itself, the pulled pork sandwich had a nice smokey flavor to it. It comes topped with some homemade slaw, on a whole wheat bun. My only complaint was that the bun wasn't toasted, and the juices from the pulled pork made the bun kind of soggy. The sandwich doesn't come topped with any sauce, so you are free to choose from the 10 different sauces previously mentioned.

The ribs were fantastic for $1 a rib! They are smoked dry, with only a dry rub and not slathered in sauce. They are pretty tender and had a nice smokey flavor to it. You can add your own sauce so that the sauce doesn't overpower the flavor of the smoke. It leaves a wonderful smell on your fingers all day long!

Overall, awesome place to grab a quick lunch in the summertime. It does get quite busy during lunch hours, and I'm not too sure what the hours are like.

I will be going back for the beef brisket next time!! They even have something called a "manwich" which is basically 4oz of pulled pork and 4oz of beef brisket. I'll leave that for a hungry day!

thecitizen
08-18-2010, 06:30 PM
That sounds awesome, man! Are they open nights and weekends, or only weekdays?

me_dennis
08-18-2010, 06:32 PM
only on weekdays from 10-4

thecitizen
08-18-2010, 09:24 PM
Too bad they have such shitty hours.

VWEvo
08-18-2010, 09:27 PM
My pregnant wife is addicted to that show and already sent me to BigT's. Might have to tell her about this place.

nj2Type-S
08-19-2010, 11:00 AM
yes! i've been looking for a place like this! 'drive ins, diners & dives' is the best show ever, lol. too bad they aren't open on weekends but i will make it my resolve to try this place out on my next day off. thank for the head's up!

ercchry
08-19-2010, 11:08 AM
i love that place! they now have the manwich and also serve beer... ribs seem to have gotten smaller though... but it might have just been that batch we got last time

Weapon_R
08-19-2010, 11:12 AM
Nice to see a good southern style bbq place in town!

nj2Type-S
08-19-2010, 11:26 AM
how busy are these guys during lunch time??

masoncgy
08-19-2010, 12:52 PM
Sweet, thanks for the review. This place is just down the street from my shop and I pass by it a few times a day but I have never bothered to check it out...

...will stop by for lunch now though! :thumbsup:

sdevils15
08-19-2010, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by nj2Type-S
how busy are these guys during lunch time??

Went there today at lunch and Had no problems finding a seat. Started to get busier around 1230.

I had the pulled pork and it was decent, next time i will get the manwich. Your first trip there i would get a small sandwich and 4 or 5 ribs. Try all the sauces as well.

nj2Type-S
08-20-2010, 12:51 PM
i tried this place out for lunch today since i love bbq. what can i say? this place is awesome! the staff is super friendly and the food is excellent. i had the small pulled pork sandwich and i ordered some ribs. there were a bunch of sauces on the side so i just started taking samples of most of them, lol.

it's really unfortunate that these guys' hour of operation is so short because i wouldn't mind driving all the way there for dinner. the space is pretty small, though, so if you're planning to go with a large group, it probably wouldn't be the best idea. they do have a couple of picnic tables outside the restaurant.

i called 15 mins ahead for my order so the wait time was under 5 mins. the line up was pretty long (then again, i went at 12pm).

i'd definitely recommend this place! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Idratherbsidewayz
08-23-2010, 02:10 PM
Holy Smokes! This place is gooood. Went there for lunch today, got the small pulled pork, cornbread, and 2 ribs.

Everything was amazing, although one of the sauces (Hot Mama) was a little bit too vinegary for me.

I'm looking forward to going back and trying all of the sauces. Any favorite ones out there?

r3ccOs
08-23-2010, 03:27 PM
Meh...

I've had better :D (my own)

I really should start selling rubs and sauces or cater...

3rd place overall this weekend, cause we got a DQ because my buddy cut the meat wrong causing one judge to pull the entire medallion for the Pork Butt :P

1st Ribs
2nd Brisket
3rd Chicken
0 for Pork

We would've won hands down as we were only 2 points from second (house of Q) and barely away from the Canadian Champ Prarie Smoke & Spice

1st in Ribs is huge, we beat the Canadian Champ on his best game lol, but Rob's a good guy and many people were surprised as we are always well... underrated in our approach

Idratherbsidewayz
08-23-2010, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by r3ccOs
Meh...

I've had better :D (my own)

I really should start selling rubs and sauces or cater...

3rd place overall this weekend, cause we got a DQ because my buddy cut the meat wrong causing one judge to pull the entire medallion for the Pork Butt :P

1st Ribs
2nd Brisket
3rd Chicken
0 for Pork

We would've won hands down as we were only 2 points from second (house of Q) and barely away from the Canadian Champ Prarie Smoke & Spice

1st in Ribs is huge, we beat the Canadian Champ on his best game lol, but Rob's a good guy and many people were surprised as we are always well... underrated in our approach

Congrats! So... BBQ at your place to celebrate?? Ill bring the potato salad. :D

2002civic
08-23-2010, 03:58 PM
nm

r3ccOs
08-23-2010, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by Idratherbsidewayz

Congrats! So... BBQ at your place to celebrate?? Ill bring the potato salad. :D

lol, maybe one day!

Mind u, u might not want to eat our "competition" food... not so good for your health.

Hakkola
08-23-2010, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by me_dennis

WTF? That sucks, I wanna try this place.

nj2Type-S
08-25-2010, 08:29 AM
i might go today for lunch just for the heck of it.

r3ccOs, would you be willing to sell ribs with your recipe for $1/bone? LOL!!!

r3ccOs
08-25-2010, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by nj2Type-S
i might go today for lunch just for the heck of it.

r3ccOs, would you be willing to sell ribs with your recipe for $1/bone? LOL!!!

@ resturant wholesale prices, if we were to start a catering company, sure!

You can get side ribs st.louis cuit for about 79 cents per lb.... thats ridiculously cheap

I like using back ribs (loin back/baby back) and those are still quite cheap at resturant prices

nj2Type-S
08-25-2010, 10:54 AM
^how much would you sell ribs (per bone)? i'm actually reall interested, lol.

r3ccOs
09-03-2010, 04:47 PM
If anyone is curious... tomorrow is BBQ on the bow
Sunday is the judging, and I heard there may be tasting (depending on whether heath & safety will allow it)

I'm not competiting in it this year, but a few good teams I'm aware of are:

Mad Cow
House of Q
BBQ Bob...

Plus a few friends I know who are always willing to chat about the "art"...

if you want to learn something, chat with them on Saturday... but not while they're working their butts off on Sunday :)

thecitizen
09-06-2010, 11:54 AM
If anyone is curious... tomorrow is BBQ on the bow
Sunday is the judging, and I heard there may be tasting (depending on whether heath & safety will allow it)

I'm not competiting in it this year, but a few good teams I'm aware of are:

Mad Cow
House of Q
BBQ Bob...

Plus a few friends I know who are always willing to chat about the "art"...

if you want to learn something, chat with them on Saturday... but not while they're working their butts off on Sunday :)

This is the biggest sham of a "festival" that i've ever been to. I can guarantee you that there will be absolutely zero tasting whatsoever. These fucktards may as well hold their "event" on private land 50 clicks outside the city. boo! :thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

r3ccOs
09-07-2010, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by thecitizen

This is the biggest sham of a "festival" that i've ever been to. I can guarantee you that there will be absolutely zero tasting whatsoever. These fucktards may as well hold their "event" on private land 50 clicks outside the city. boo! :thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

Whoa whoa... why all the animosities?

Yes there have been years and events that I've participated at, where I've said... well why the hell are we not allowed to sample?

Its not that we're greedy competitive pricks, its that health and safety, depending on the individual in charge, has quite strindgent and strick criteria in regards to sampling.

One way to circumvent this is to have a "people's choice award"
Another way is to donate it, which they did this year. There was a sample booth, that you'd get to taste a good amount of product for a donation.

I agree, some events are bit of a sham... I've been to a couple contests where people were charged admission, and there was sampling, but it all came out of the pockets of the competitors/teams.

Not that this is a problem, but the organizer pocketed everything... for doing nothing

I usually never keep any of my product, as you lose intrest in eating it fast... and will give it away at any event that will let me.

But remember this... its up to the organizer to make the arrangements and accomdoations to allow a team to be able to sample... meaning they have to have full kitchenettes that have hot running water and where food has to be prepped.

To compete, we fork out a registration cost, our own logistic costs, and product costs.

lilmira
09-09-2010, 12:49 PM
Both the pulled pork and beef brisket sandwiches are very good. Ribs are very smoky, could be on the spicy side to some people. I like it.

I have a question for the BBQ people. I tried slow cooking chicken a few times and the skin always got kinda stringy. Should I turn up the heat at some point?

I was so planning on checking out BBQ on the Bow but the weather ruined my plan.

theken
09-09-2010, 12:53 PM
When your chicken is close to done turn the heat on your grill to around 4 450 should crisp up the skin

lilmira
09-09-2010, 01:13 PM
Will be trying it out tonight, thanks.

Mixalot27
09-09-2010, 02:00 PM
^They close at 4, I believe.

ercchry
09-09-2010, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Mixalot27

damn, that must suck having your own kitchen close at 4pm :rofl:

Mixalot27
09-09-2010, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

damn, that must suck having your own kitchen close at 4pm :rofl:

My bad, thought he was referring to the restaurant. Reading > Me. :rofl:

BigDL
09-09-2010, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Mixalot27

They will be adjusting their hours soon, they just got a liquor license. From a email I got from them it would be open 10am to 8pm, Monday to Saturday.

It was so good when I went down there the other day :drool:

jaylees
09-09-2010, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by thecitizen
Too bad they have such shitty hours.

They close down early because all the workers in that area head home to Forrest Lawn, Dover, etc. and have dinner waiting for them.

ornamental
09-11-2010, 11:12 AM
i went the other day and thought ribs are amazing, pull off the bone with a nice bark. a bit spicy for my wife, i didnt think spicy though. brisquit was nice and moist. pulled pork was ok. pecan pie was excellent. corn bread was like a cake, a nice surprize.

I cant wait to go back and try more!!

the owner brought his smoking trailer to the bbq class this year at big rock and the food was enjoyed by the class

ricosuave
09-11-2010, 12:25 PM
I hereby post my slow-cooker pulled pork recipe, to which I have had great success:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using about a 3 - 4lb pork shoulder or boston butt roast, (rule of thumb is ¾ - 1lb per person), trimmed of bone and fat, if present.

Basic marinade and breakdown sauce:

* 250ml of apple cider vinegar
* 200ml worcestershire sauce
* 1 tblspoon of paprika
* 1 tblspoon of mustard powder or seeds
* 1 tblspoon of garlic powder
* Salt and pepper to taste
* 1 large, diced onion (red is the variety I use)
* 1/3 small can of tomato paste
* 1/2c brown sugar

To the above, add whatever ‘flavour’ to it, as examples:

* 2 cups of ketchup, bbq sauce, honey mustard, chilli sauce, etc.
* Chilli flakes, turmeric, chilli powder, etc., to taste.

Mix well and put aside.

Stab roast with knife multiple times to create small pockets. If desired, fill some pockets with garlic cloves and peppercorns. If you have the time, you can dry-rub the powder ingredients, and sear the sides of the roast on a frying pan prior to slow cooking.

Place roast in large ziplock bag and pour marinade over top. Seal bag and allow to sit for a day or so in the refrigerator. Turn roast every so often so that all the meat is exposed to the marinade.

Place in slow cooker. Pour about ½ of the marinade over top of the roast, and cover with lid and aluminum foil or dish towel. Keep the remaining marinade for later.

Allow 8 hours slow cooker time, turn roast in cooker and baste every 2-3 hours. The longer it goes, the better it is. Add additional marinade if desired after the first 3-4 hours. (A frozen roast will yield more moisture than a fresh one).

When the roast flakes apart easily with a fork, it is done.

Remove roast and place in a large bowl. Using 2 forks, shred the meat until it is all apart. Remove fat and bone if it is there.

Add additional flavouring (as above) and a small amount of the marinade sauce and mix with meat to moisten.

Marinade sauce alone can also be used as dipping sauce. Serve with potato salad or cole slaw and a cold beer.

Enjoy!

thecitizen
09-11-2010, 03:31 PM
^^pork shoulder is perhaps the awesomest meat known to man. It tastes awesome, AND you can feed like 34593847587435 people for only like $5. :thumbsup:

flipstah
09-11-2010, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by me_dennis

Those are the worst times ever for a restaurant.

Have to take a personal day to try this sucker out lol.

:burnout:

theken
09-11-2010, 06:45 PM
I am doing a pork shoulder tomorrow, i smoked it for 6 hours last week with jack daniels wood barrel chips, gonna slap it on the bbq tomorrow at around 6-630 in the morning at 275. should be done around 5. Homemade bbq sauce gonna be fucking good. this is what my sundays have come down to.

StreetRacerX
09-12-2010, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by BigDL

They will be adjusting their hours soon, they just got a liquor license. From a email I got from them it would be open 10am to 8pm, Monday to Saturday.

It was so good when I went down there the other day :drool:

You better be right, I want to go there next Saturday if thats the case.

flipstah
09-12-2010, 10:44 PM
When the hours change, inform us! Beyond meat bhahahaha!

btimbit
09-13-2010, 02:55 AM
They're doing the Concept 1 Customer Appreciation Day show & shine, can't wait to try it there!

BrknFngrs
10-19-2010, 11:26 AM
Thought I would give this a bump so that people know that Holy Smoke is open on saturdays now. I happened to be in the area last saturday so I dropped in to try the place out. No big surprise based on the other reviews but the food/staff/place was great and definitely worth checking out.

Idratherbsidewayz
10-19-2010, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by BrknFngrs
Thought I would give this a bump so that people know that Holy Smoke is open on saturdays now. I happened to be in the area last saturday so I dropped in to try the place out. No big surprise based on the other reviews but the food/staff/place was great and definitely worth checking out.

Did they extend their daytime hours?

BrknFngrs
10-19-2010, 01:52 PM
I can't say for sure, I was in around 1:30-2 PM last saturday and that was my first time eating there.

Guillermo
10-19-2010, 02:13 PM
Yea, I drove by last saturday during the day, and noticed the open sign was on. Was gonna post it on here but I forgot. I'm gonna try to go this weekend.

Hash_man
10-28-2010, 11:31 PM
Went to Holy Smoke today with a couple of friends, and it was well worth the visit!

We went around 3pm so it was pretty quiet in there, but there were some tunes going, not too loud, and it is a nice small restaurant.

I ordered a large beef brisket sandwich, some ribs, coleslaw, cornbread, and a 7up to drink. The food took a few minutes to be prepared, but while waiting me and my friends kept ourselves entertained with the Slang Flash Cards which we found on our table. These gave us a good laugh for the day.

The food was brought to our table promptly, although being late afternoon they had ran out of ribs and we needed to wait for some more while they were being prepared. There were lots of different BBQ sauces to try with our sandwiches, I think my favorite was the Coke sauce. Coleslaw was excellent, and so was the cornbread. The portion sizing is also very good. My friends had the pulled pork sandwiches, and one had that and the brisket, and commented that they were both equally as tasty.

The ribs showed up a little after finishing our food, and they were worth the wait... May taste a little smokey for some, but with the right sauce they were excellent. I recommend the "rib sauce". The ribs were fall off the bone tender, and quite meaty.

We then got some pecan pie to take home as it looked delicious, and well it was.

This was the only thing I ate all day, and left me very satisfied and full. I highly recommend going and eating their for yourself if you haven't been.

Food - 9.5/10 (only because I found the ribs to taste a little strong initially)
Service - 10/10 - very friendly staff, quick service.
Price/Value - Hard to give this a number value, but I would say it is a good value. Was not a cheap meal, but was well worth the money spent. I believe I spent about $17 before the pecan pie.

redblack
11-11-2010, 09:09 PM
Boy, i was impressed with this place, I had the manwich (beef and porK), 3 ribs, coleslaw and cornbread. The meal came out to about 15 bucks. The sandwich was juicy and flavorful.
The only downside was the ribs were a little on the dry side, it had good seasoning but i am used to ribs that you would get at tony roma's loaded with sauce. I would definately go again.

Hash_man
11-12-2010, 02:57 AM
Originally posted by redblack
Boy, i was impressed with this place, I had the manwich (beef and porK), 3 ribs, coleslaw and cornbread. The meal came out to about 15 bucks. The sandwich was juicy and flavorful.
The only downside was the ribs were a little on the dry side, it had good seasoning but i am used to ribs that you would get at tony roma's loaded with sauce. I would definately go again.

Glad to hear more people are enjoying this place. I personally was not a huge fan of the ribs either, but probably mostly due to the fact that they are so different then ribs I am used to eating.

snoop101
01-11-2011, 01:25 PM
I went to this place after reading about it on DD&D thread. What an amazing little place. I love all the different sauces. I had the pulled pork. So yummy. Corn bread was also very good (got the wife addicted to it).

Again though the open time is a little odd. They need to make atleast two days where their open late. Maybe put on some events then or something.

natejj
03-09-2011, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by snoop101
I went to this place after reading about it on DD&D thread. What an amazing little place. I love all the different sauces. I had the pulled pork. So yummy. Corn bread was also very good (got the wife addicted to it).

Again though the open time is a little odd. They need to make atleast two days where their open late. Maybe put on some events then or something.

The location is terrible though. They need to be on 17th, and then they could pull that off.

redevil
03-09-2011, 06:19 PM
I didn't know about this place, always looking for something like this...subscribed for future visit. :drool:

Weapon_R
03-09-2011, 06:26 PM
I must be the only guy who thought this place was a huge disappointment. I ordered the beef brisket large sandwich and a side.

About 1/4 of the way into the sandwich, it completely fell apart. The beef was full of gristle and had a weird smell to it. The bbq sauce couldn't even save this sandwich.

Judging from the people inside, I'm probably one of the few who disliked this place so much. It was packed but I can safely say that I will never go back. Probably the worst southern smoked bbq sandwich I've ever had, and I have visited a ton of them in the Southern U.S.

taemo
03-09-2011, 06:26 PM
^:werd:

next time I have a day off, I know where to go eat

natejj
03-11-2011, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
I must be the only guy who thought this place was a huge disappointment. I ordered the beef brisket large sandwich and a side.

About 1/4 of the way into the sandwich, it completely fell apart. The beef was full of gristle and had a weird smell to it. The bbq sauce couldn't even save this sandwich.

Judging from the people inside, I'm probably one of the few who disliked this place so much. It was packed but I can safely say that I will never go back. Probably the worst southern smoked bbq sandwich I've ever had, and I have visited a ton of them in the Southern U.S.

Yeah, I sort of agree. I mean, the place and the food and the price, were alright. But I wouldn't make the trip just for the food, maybe if I was in the area. My food wasn't gristly at all though. Just decent.

sputnik
03-11-2011, 11:32 AM
Palomino Smokehouse downtown is far better.

r3ccOs
03-11-2011, 11:53 AM
bbq is simple...

read one of my posts, look online as to how to make a good sauce and rub or BUY a championship rub or sauce...

(In fact my buddy and I may just be doing that soon with our maple bbq sauce, being that we've placed so well in the PNWBA)

You can get away without needing charcoal or a electric box smoker, by using a propane grill, doing indirect heat (one element on low) with foil bags of wet chips, one at a time obviously, over the flame to expose the meat to the smoke...
I'd suggest do that until you get the desired amount of smoke (I'd say 3-4 bags), then use "foil" to wrap the meat. (everyone who wins actuality does and those who say otherwise are usually lying)...

By foiling, you make a "Braise" like a crockpot or dutch oven, which allows the fat and collegine to break down the meat. You can also crank the heat at this point up to the 325-350 until done.
How is it done? stick a fork in it, and if it goes in and out without any pressure... its done, or even easier, turn the fork and if it turns easily, you're done.

You can then just finish it with sauce to add a bark, or not... and just serve with a sauce.

Bark is something that is a myth as it adds nothing to the product, as honestly no judges have ever criticd for not having "bark"...

A high level method which works for pulled pork, brisket and ribs..
times obvious vary based on the product, but I can make a winning pork butt or full packer brisket in 4hrs nowadays.

I can almost gaurantee you, you can make a very authentic product just by looking at recipies all over the place and using this simple method, or ordering some good rubs and sauces.

sputnik
03-11-2011, 12:04 PM
bbq is simple...

That's nice. Can you do all of that _simple_ work and bring me some lunch to my office today?

Thanks.

JZS_147
03-11-2011, 12:25 PM
ridiculously overpriced for what you get.

I find the food has gone downhill since they opened. Link on a bun use to have a wicked andouille sausage with sliced and sauteed onions and peppers. Now it's some dried up sausage with barely any peppers or onions.

I was never a fan of the ribs, they taste like they're drowned in imitation smoke seasoning.

snoop101
03-11-2011, 03:44 PM
Been there a few times since. Im starting to agree with some of the posts that compare to true southern BBQ. The only issue is that here in Calgary we don't have much to choose from.

One thing though is that once you have gone there a few times your just about out of things to try, other then different BBQ sauce's. I would really like to see them do weekly specials that host different items. Chicken would be a big one for me.

Mibz
03-11-2011, 04:09 PM
The only issue is that here in Calgary we don't have much to choose from. Yep. I hadn't had BBQ since Big T's in Heritage closed down so Holy Smoke was new and wonderful.

If there were something better anywhere near me then I probably wouldn't like it as much, but even Fresca tastes good in the desert.

Benny
03-11-2011, 05:25 PM
Been there a few times since. Im starting to agree with some of the posts that compare to true southern BBQ. The only issue is that here in Calgary we don't have much to choose from.

One thing though is that once you have gone there a few times your just about out of things to try, other then different BBQ sauce's. I would really like to see them do weekly specials that host different items. Chicken would be a big one for me.

Funny you should say that. I was there a couple days ago and their special is a pulled chicken sandwich.

And it was awesome. :thumbsup: :drool:

Davetronz
03-12-2011, 07:07 PM
Holy Smoke is awesome. I love that place. Everything on their menu that I've tried is great.

TomcoPDR
07-29-2015, 05:14 PM
Bump for Holy Smoke Blackfoot

This place is still pretty consistent, I love their cornbread. The redneckism posters and décor on the walls pretty neat. This location has it's mixture of blue collar rough workers and office folks around the area.

I suggest they have disposal saucer trays that holds 6-10 sauces at a time...

Don't forget about their North location, 16 Ave and Centre Street in the Eastern Fortune Restaurant mall. (haven't been)

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r95/Tomcompany/Past%20repairs/Random/IMG_0649_zpsj4lsmjh2.jpg~original

Food: 8/10 Very consistent, I don't always eat here but when I do, it feels the same level.

Service: 7.5/10 It's a food joint where I doubt the actual investors/owners are on site. There is a turnover of staff (different visits mostly different faces); but the staff do send a hipsterish chill vibe; feels like HR just drives around California highways picking up anyone with "will work for food" signs

Price: Didn't have to pay. But I find it a little on the high side. 2 small drinks, 2 cornbread, 20 ribs for $40 something... But nothing like 5 ton commercial trucks rolling coal on your food while picnicking 2' table lengths surrounded by Calgary's finest $100,000+ redneck industrial working class, lunchon yyc stare down.

max_boost
07-29-2015, 05:16 PM
Nice rack.

firebane
07-29-2015, 06:06 PM
The 16th ave location has good food. The inside is VERY small and you sit at a bar style with high seats.

The corn bread at the 16th ave is yummy!

ExtraSlow
07-29-2015, 07:57 PM
Food is same at 16th ave location. Personally, while I do enjoy the food, I agree it's 8/10 at best, maybe 7.

Dont think the 16th ave location sells beer, but you can buy it at the manchester one.

CompletelyNumb
07-29-2015, 10:33 PM
Has anyone found better bbq in the city? I love holy smoke.

gwill
07-29-2015, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Nice rack.

i cant get past the wrinkly old hands and a big nasty mole

cancer man
07-30-2015, 04:19 AM
Originally posted by gwill

The ribs look to dry and the rack has cancer.

bourge73
07-30-2015, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by CompletelyNumb
Has anyone found better bbq in the city? I love holy smoke.

I think the Palomino is better than Holy
Smoke. Check it out

killramos
07-30-2015, 08:38 AM
I went to their truck last week and i really liked their smoked chicken sandwich. Smoked chicken is something you don't see nearly as often so it was quite refreshing!

ExtraSlow
07-30-2015, 08:45 AM
I like Palomino more as well.

BenC
07-30-2015, 09:58 AM
I was there yesterday as well. Believe I saw you Tomco.

I love this place tho. Everything tastes great.

max_boost
07-30-2015, 10:13 AM
BenC, are you Ben chow?

killramos
07-30-2015, 10:14 AM
Does anyone else think the palomino smells like the mens washroom of a sleezy club?

Turns me off the concept of eating there as soon as i walk in the door. Havent been there in a few years but that has always been my impression.

:dunno:

TomcoPDR
07-30-2015, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by BenC
I was there yesterday as well. Believe I saw you Tomco.

I love this place tho. Everything tastes great.

Think it was around 1-1:30?

ExtraSlow
07-30-2015, 10:36 AM
A little Bromance in the air today. :love: :love:

Masked Bandit
07-30-2015, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR
Bump for Holy Smoke Blackfoot

This place is still pretty consistent, I love their cornbread. The redneckism posters and décor on the walls pretty neat. This location has it's mixture of blue collar rough workers and office folks around the area.

I suggest they have disposal saucer trays that holds 6-10 sauces at a time...

Don't forget about their North location, 16 Ave and Centre Street in the Eastern Fortune Restaurant mall. (haven't been)

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r95/Tomcompany/Past%20repairs/Random/IMG_0649_zpsj4lsmjh2.jpg~original

Food: 8/10 Very consistent, I don't always eat here but when I do, it feels the same level.

Service: 7.5/10 It's a food joint where I doubt the actual investors/owners are on site. There is a turnover of staff (different visits mostly different faces); but the staff do send a hipsterish chill vibe; feels like HR just drives around California highways picking up anyone with "will work for food" signs

Price: Didn't have to pay. But I find it a little on the high side. 2 small drinks, 2 cornbread, 20 ribs for $40 something... But nothing like 5 ton commercial trucks rolling coal on your food while picnicking 2' table lengths surrounded by Calgary's finest $100,000+ redneck industrial working class, lunchon yyc stare down.

Tomco you perv, you were taking a picture of the rack and got some ribs in there by mistake. Don't even try to deny it.

ianmcc
07-30-2015, 12:29 PM
Most people would turn the camera landscape to better show the food.

codetrap
07-30-2015, 12:40 PM

firebane
07-30-2015, 01:06 PM
Well since we were discussing this.. I went to the food truck for lunch.. Now I'm in a food coma. :thumbsup: :drool:

killramos
07-30-2015, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by firebane
Well since we were discussing this.. I went to the food truck for lunch.. Now I'm in a food coma. :thumbsup: :drool:

+1 Brisket :drool:

Env-Consultant
07-30-2015, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by gwill

Hands aren't wrinkly. Breasts are on the larger side, but not uneccesarily large. Mole is seemingly perfectly placed for beauty. Great taste in jewelery (note wrist). Cleavage is showing, but in a classy way. She has an Android based cell phone - is not an isheep. She is about the dive into a huge pile of ribs.

A+++++. Gwill fails on this one. Try being a gentleman someday and you might find yourself waking up in bed each morning to a good looking woman, and not the type you have to pay. Tomco FTW :thumbsup:

http://m.quickmeme.com/img/40/40b96f717103244d7d9dea023de22820619058efade0a529f2938430963ed6c7.jpg

BavarianBeast
07-30-2015, 02:03 PM
Barnyard.... :drool:

ickyflex
07-31-2015, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by killramos

+1 Brisket :drool:

+1

BlackArcher101
08-02-2015, 10:54 AM
After hearing good things about Holy Smoke, I tried their Blackfoot location a few times. Each time I've gone, I've been thoroughly disappointed, not understanding where the praise is coming from.

I found the prices to be quite high for the portions served and the food subpar. The meats I tried were dry with little to none smoke flavor existing with no smoke rings visible. It left me thinking all they do is slow cook the meat with no rubs or seasonings for too long and no smoke, then rely on customers adding sauces to make the food better.

I'll give them one thing though, the sauces are good. Won't be giving them a 3rd chance though.

TLDR: Sauce good, meat bad, smoke non existent

relyt92
08-02-2015, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by BlackArcher101
After hearing good things about Holy Smoke, I tried their Blackfoot location a few times. Each time I've gone, I've been thoroughly disappointed, not understanding where the praise is coming from.

I found the prices to be quite high for the portions served and the food subpar. The meats I tried were dry with little to none smoke flavor existing with no smoke rings visible. It left me thinking all they do is slow cook the meat with no rubs or seasonings for too long and no smoke, then rely on customers adding sauces to make the food better.

I'll give them one thing though, the sauces are good. Won't be giving them a 3rd chance though.

TLDR: Sauce good, meat bad, smoke non existent I used to work not too far from there and had hit and miss feelings on it. I've never been disappointed by the 16th location though.

r3ccOs
08-04-2015, 11:28 AM
people who actually have eaten good bbq or made good bbq, will quickly realize how expensive and unimpressive holy smoke is...

but its a niche and nobody else has jumped on the bandwagon, so they know what they are doing from an opportunistic perspective

CompletelyNumb
08-04-2015, 12:12 PM
Food in Calgary is generally expensive and unimpressive once you've done some travelling.

I wouldn't expect BBQ like I had in Texas when I lived there for three months. Holy Smoke is good for Calgary.

btimbit
08-04-2015, 04:46 PM
^Agreed. It isn't amazing, but it's good for what we've got. I enjoy Holy Smoke. Not as good as when it first opened imo, but still like it

J.M.
08-04-2015, 06:47 PM
The Blackfoot location is definitely a hit or miss. I haven't tried any of the other locations yet though.