PDA

View Full Version : Dog shot with arrow

topmade
08-19-2010, 07:00 AM
I usually don't start threads like this, but this sickens me. I don't like pets myself, but why would anyone do this.

Taken from http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/2010/08/18/calgary-okotoks-dog-shot-arrow.html

RCMP in Okotoks, Alta., are asking for the public's help in tracking down whoever shot a dog with an arrow earlier this month.

Eddie, a four-year-old Great Pyrenees, undergoes initial treatment after he was shot with an arrow. (Courtesy of the C.A.R.E. Centre Animal Hospital)
Amy Gill, owner of the purebred Great Pyrenees, found her pet on 338 Avenue West near the Honda dealership around 3 p.m. MT on Aug. 8 — with the arrow still sticking out of his rib cage.

After extensive surgery, the four-year-old dog named Eddie survived.

Gill believes he was deliberately shot with a professional practice arrow and describes the attack as "mean and cruel."

"So we're looking for someone who is possibly a professional hunter or an avid hunter," said Okotoks RCMP Const. Kristen Ryan.

Eddie, a four-year-old Great Pyrenees, recovers at his home near Okotoks. (Bryan Labby/CBC)
"And potentially a neighbour who might have seen something or may know who has a bow and arrow in the rural area there."

Gill said the arrow entered Eddie's right side and partially came out on his left.

The arrow hit some of the dog's vital organs and a vet had to remove some of Eddie's lungs during a six-hour operation, which cost Gill $8,500.

Anyone with information on the shooting is asked to contact the Okotoks RCMP at 403-938-7046 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).

Tarrantula
08-19-2010, 07:02 AM
Wow this sucks but good luck tracking down 1 hunter in calgary :facepalm:

This sounds like a Beyond CSI challenge. Fingerprints on the arrow?

bignerd
08-19-2010, 07:47 AM
Lucky the dog was so big or it probably would not of survived. That is one large vet bill!!

Pretty hard to mistake a Great Pyr for anything but a large white dog, although they are fearsome farm protectors they are really great with people, wouldn't mind owning one sometime if they weren't so damn big.

Tik-Tok
08-19-2010, 08:00 AM
:( That poor pup.

This is the last straw though. I think bows and arrows should be registered.

freshprince1
08-19-2010, 08:04 AM
That sucks. But I think the RCMP will have a tough time finding anything through an appeal like that. I bet you a large slurpee that it was some teenager playing around with their Dad's bow. That, or, a neighbor that got tired of the dog barking all night and crapping on his/her lawn. Not that that justifies this in any way. I've know a few dogs I wouldn't mind going "Rambo" on, but I would never actually do it.

D. Dub
08-19-2010, 08:34 AM
The guy who shot the poor dog is simply a waste of flesh.

But spending $8000 to fix a dog is almost as crazy

spikerS
08-19-2010, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by D. Dub

Agreed

While i also agree, for others the cost has nothing do with it. The same way you would rush your child to the doctor in dire need, some people feel the same way for their pets. Cost does not factor in, they just want to get their loved one help. In that light, I could hardly call it crazy.

AndyL
08-19-2010, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by bignerd

Pretty hard to mistake a Great Pyr for anything but a large white dog, although they are fearsome farm protectors they are really great with people, wouldn't mind owning one sometime if they weren't so damn big.
Pyrs are great for a reason. It's not the size that's a problem, it's the friggin coats... Ohmyfuckinggod does ours shed (and she's a cross - the collie/lab tones it down a bit)

But ya gotta love coming home to:
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i277/cgyreefer/DSCF4998CROPsm.jpg

This was friggin hillarious - her intro to sheep, we could watch her jekyll/hyde - one minute she's sitting watching her flock, the next she's tearing after them herding them... Then would cock her head, stop dead and go back to watching over them...
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i277/cgyreefer/DSCF7686.jpg

Poor pup - but yeah, we spent a fortune on ours when she had her FCE - $ never really entered the equation - just make her ok.

jazzyb
08-19-2010, 09:11 AM
$ when it come to familly don't matter you do what you can afford to do.

who ever shot him/her is a sick fuck.

Awd-Tsi
08-19-2010, 10:08 AM
Seriously who shoots a dog for no reason...? Unless it was going to kill
him or something

in*10*se
08-19-2010, 10:22 AM
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/270610/man-kills-unleashed-dog-who-was-at-fault/

here we go again.

revelations
08-19-2010, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by D. Dub

I agree $8k is insane to spend on a dog. Chances are good however that someone will come forward and donate money for this as its getting publicity.

Dont get me wrong, I'm a dog person and I grew up with many dogs - they are not people and shouldnt be treated the same.

My guess is that in a small town like Okotoks, someone will talk to someone, who will report the incident to the RCMP.

Hamann
08-19-2010, 12:06 PM
I heard about this last night, I hadn't heard what type of dog it was though.

I just assumed someone mistook it for a coyote, but it's damn near impossible to mistake a Pyrenees for a coyote, especially at 3 in the afternoon.

Xtrema
08-19-2010, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Hamann
I heard about this last night, I hadn't heard what type of dog it was though.

It's a big yellow lab type kind of dog. There's no mistaking it with any other type of animals.

Whoever shot it is going for a kill shot. But I doubt they will find anyone. Tough time proving it.

Mazstyle
08-19-2010, 12:39 PM
First of all I love dogs, and have owned several but after reading the article the question I have is.

Why was the dog just running around the neighborhood?

I think theres more to the story.... don't you think it's possible the dog wandered onto someones property and perhaps was perceived as a threat to either children or other animals?

This happens all the time in rural settings...

EDIT: just re-read the article and saw Okotoks, and the honda dealership is on the outskirts of town, chances are it wandered onto someones farm/acreage started harassing their livestock and this is the end result, the owner should be thankful it wasn't shot with a shotgun.

Just like to ad, I still don't think shooting the dog is right.

bignerd
08-19-2010, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by Mazstyle
First of all I love dogs, and have owned several but after reading the article the question I have is.

Why was the dog just running around the neighborhood?

I think theres more to the story.... don't you think it's possible the dog wandered onto someones property and perhaps was perceived as a threat to either children or other animals?

This happens all the time in rural settings...

EDIT: just re-read the article and saw Okotoks, and the honda dealership is on the outskirts of town, chances are it wandered onto someones farm/acreage started harassing their livestock and this is the end result, the owner should be thankful it wasn't shot with a shotgun.

Just like to ad, I still don't think shooting the dog is right.

Many many people keep Great Pyrs on their property to chase off coyotes and guard live stock. They are a really large usually pale white shaggy dog (much bigger and different looking than a lab as per pp). They were bred to blend in with herds of sheep to protect them from predators, it is not in their nature to "harass" or harm livestock.

I know someone that had a Great Pyr move into their acreage, their previous owner had sold off her flock of sheep and the Great Pyr moved to the acreage down the road as this lady still had a flock. They took her back several times but finally just let her live with them as she kept coming back to protect the livestock.

It could of been perceived as a threat but Great Pyrs are generally "gentle giants" and you really only need to be worried if you are a coyote.

In the article I read the owner said the dog had escaped his yard and he was un-aware the dog had got out.

D. Dub
08-20-2010, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by spikers

Agreed

While i also agree, for others the cost has nothing do with it. The same way you would rush your child to the doctor in dire need, some people feel the same way for their pets. Cost does not factor in, they just want to get their loved one help. In that light, I could hardly call it crazy.

Nope.... $8K on a dog is still crazy. :D