PDA

View Full Version : SAIT Parking!

Pages : [1] 2

black300
08-19-2010, 09:39 PM
So as some of us are already aware SAIT parking is probably the worst out of all post secondary institutions... the cheapest one is $8 which is kind of a rip... Just wondering if anyone has any other suggestions for parking where to look I am willing to pay monthly for a private spot.. does Sears still sell the passes? I am talking about the semester starting September 2010

All help is appreciated thanks guys...hopefully someone can really help me out and help a full time student save some $

K3RMiTdot
08-19-2010, 09:50 PM
i beleive sears isnt allowed to sell passes anymore. At least at the end of last year they werent. What im going to do is just park by the safeway and walk through the mall evreyday. or park down by the earls?

i refuse to pay 8 bucks for the parking unless im late for soemthing really important

bignerd
08-19-2010, 10:35 PM
Works out to be 5.25 a day in the parkade if you buy a month pass at SAIT

Twin_Cam_Turbo
08-19-2010, 10:36 PM
I have my own secret parking near by with no hassles.

AE92_TreunoSC
08-19-2010, 11:18 PM
I just park 15 minutes away in a legal parking spot and walk.

I only have to go for 2 months at a time mind you, but it cuts down on costs and frees up my lunch money :)

Awd-Tsi
08-20-2010, 12:44 AM
Like twin cam I also happen to know a spot where I can walk to sait in about 2 minutes ;)

Cos
08-20-2010, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by K3RMiTdot
i beleive sears isnt allowed to sell passes anymore. At least at the end of last year they werent. What im going to do is just park by the safeway and walk through the mall evreyday. or park down by the earls?

i refuse to pay 8 bucks for the parking unless im late for soemthing really important

Correct SAIT went after sears for profiting from their students. Gotta fill that new parkage under the soccer fields :banghead:

wardpr68
08-20-2010, 08:19 AM
isn't the cost like 12 bucks a day for under the soccer fields?!?!? WHAT STUDENT IS GOING TO PAY THAT?!?!? what a bunch of ra-tards.

G-ZUS
08-20-2010, 08:51 AM
SAIT can suck the big one. Park in the 2 hour zone across the street and go move your car around 10:30-11 and you're good for the rest of the day :D

Gurpy
08-20-2010, 11:28 AM
Just park in the residential areas across 16th and west, by the home depot and such. It's a short walk (10ish minutes,) definitely worth it.

Mitsu3000gt
08-20-2010, 11:59 AM
Get a prepaid credit card with zero balance, unless they are getting wise to that trick, it should let you in and out of the parking lots and it can't charge your card.

G-ZUS
08-20-2010, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
Get a prepaid credit card with zero balance, unless they are getting wise to that trick, it should let you in and out of the parking lots and it can't charge your card.

Does that work? Would it work anywhere you pay to exit?

Mitsu3000gt
08-20-2010, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by G-ZUS

Does that work? Would it work anywhere you pay to exit?

It used to work in S1, the lot down past the C-train station near 10th St as it's fully automated and you just insert your CC as your enter/exit the parking. I'm not sure about the other lots. I finished school there a while go though so maybe someone who still attends can confirm if this trick still works.

K3RMiTdot
08-20-2010, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by bignerd
Works out to be 5.25 a day in the parkade if you buy a month pass at SAIT

Was thinking about getting the pass, but then thats pretty much lunch everyday.

Intent_Fire
08-20-2010, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

Does not work anymore. All the machines do a pre-auth on the spot before they issue a ticket.

b.mm.3wgirl
09-02-2010, 09:32 PM
bump.
Any new ideas for places to park near SAIT?

Phenix
09-02-2010, 09:48 PM
I used to park in the jubilee before they had the new parkade. I always had early classes and it only cost 4 bucks

FraserB
09-02-2010, 10:57 PM
Just park at Sears, after they got screwed by the city and SAIT they are still letting people park there. They were only told that they can't charge for it, not that people couldn't park there.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-02-2010, 11:00 PM
Yeah im going to park at Sears I think, if I get a ticket I will just park further away at Home Depot and forget about the ticket.

b.mm.3wgirl
09-02-2010, 11:25 PM
I guess the mall security only really checks Safeway for the park n ride people, Sears it is!

ericchoweg
09-05-2010, 06:55 PM
ok need to bump this my start date at sait is coming up so fast anyone got some insider tidbits haha

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-05-2010, 07:00 PM
Park at Sears.

HuMz
09-05-2010, 07:14 PM
I usually park at the round about on 16th ave and 8th street. Theres only about 6 spots though and I work at the construction site there so its usually full by 6:15. But if your willing to be at school by 7 then it could be an option.

swak
09-05-2010, 07:24 PM
why not park closer ot the Chili's and Moores, etc....

Lots of parking, pretty stealthy, IMO.

adidas
09-05-2010, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by swak
why not park closer ot the Chili's and Moores, etc....

Lots of parking, pretty stealthy, IMO.

bad idea, got a ticket there once and never parked infront of chili's again.

btw worst restaurant ever lol

vengie
09-05-2010, 08:36 PM
^^ agree ate there this afternoon... :barf:

I never have understood why STUDENTS (usually the poorest people on the planet) are charged PREMIUMS just to park?? if anything parking should be subsidized in some way...

swak
09-05-2010, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by vengie
^^ agree ate there this afternoon... :barf:

I never have understood why STUDENTS (usually the poorest people on the planet) are charged PREMIUMS just to park?? if anything parking should be subsidized in some way...

THIS!

I have strong opinions about this...
I go to MRU and and they sell passes for $300+ /Semester.. AND THEY SELL THEM OUT FFAASSSTTT....

.. and since every pass sold out so quick, im forced to pay $16-$20/week to pay for parking by the day...
Complete BS.

AND, not only do they charge students for parking, but you go to a hospital, and you gotta pay there too.
Its highway robbery.

vengie
09-05-2010, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by swak

THIS!

I have strong opinions about this...
I go to MRU and and they sell passes for $300+ /Semester.. AND THEY SELL THEM OUT FFAASSSTTT....

.. and since every pass sold out so quick, im forced to pay $16-$20/week to pay for parking by the day...
Complete BS.

AND, not only do they charge students for parking, but you go to a hospital, and you gotta pay there too.
Its highway robbery.

I go to SAIT and they want $115/month to park in one of the furthest lots from the school S1 I believe?

which is quite a hike from the Thomas Riley building where the majority of my classes are... I am afraid to ask how much it will be in the parkade which is much closer...

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-07-2010, 02:38 PM
Handing out tickets at Sears today. Looks like the only thing they can enforce is the 4 hour limit. They are chalking tires. I just moved my car a couple spaces over at lunch and never got a ticket.

black300
09-07-2010, 08:08 PM
Any other ideas?

K3RMiTdot
09-07-2010, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
Handing out tickets at Sears today. Looks like the only thing they can enforce is the 4 hour limit. They are chalking tires. I just moved my car a couple spaces over at lunch and never got a ticket.

i saw that today, and i fleed asap. i now need to find another place to park, my car can be spotted a mile away. damn me

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-07-2010, 08:48 PM
Haha white Crosstour? I have the Gold Nissan 180SX that was parked by my buddys EP3 in the morning then my friends Minivan and Cavalier in the afternoon. Parking guy even saw us come back, and he hates us, didnt do shit all cause we moved our vehicles.

K3RMiTdot
09-07-2010, 08:50 PM
Haha white Crosstour? I have the Gold Nissan 180SX that was parked by my buddys EP3 in the morning then my friends Minivan and Cavalier in the afternoon. Parking guy even saw us come back, and he hates us, didnt do shit all cause we moved our vehicles.

haha yes sir, i saw them. i wanted to run them over. ill probably park close to the train station tomorrow. by the HMV enterance

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-07-2010, 08:54 PM
Dont park by Chilis. Its basically 4 hours everywhere so you just gotta move it after a while. My buddy just rolled his car forward 2 feet so the chalk wasnt showing. My other buddy (big blue lifted hilux surf) just rubbed the chalk off hahaha. I would love to catch that guy putting chalk on my tires, I would be like WTF STOP VANDALIZING MY CAR. Try and make a big scene, that guy is the biggest ass ever.

K3RMiTdot
09-07-2010, 09:14 PM
yeah, i keep meaning to check my tires when i go to my car, but i keep forgetting, is there a specific tire they mark?

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-07-2010, 09:17 PM
Rear tire. Usually left I think.

FraserB
09-07-2010, 09:44 PM
The 4 hour limit might apply only to non mall parkers. I have another thread in the works right now with how to park at Sears, no moving, all day for around $1.50.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-07-2010, 09:44 PM
Buy a pack of gum? Keep receipt, proof.

K3RMiTdot
09-07-2010, 10:04 PM
HAHAHAA

brownboi
09-08-2010, 01:22 AM
i parked infront of the shoppers, my car was there from 8:30 - 4pm an it was good, no marks or n e thing

K3RMiTdot
09-08-2010, 08:33 AM
went to go park by hmv and the guy wrote my plates down, so i went to the 1 hr by petro. should be ok?

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-08-2010, 04:11 PM
I saw you around 11:30 by Sears. We were in my buddys rental van moving it across the lot.

K3RMiTdot
09-09-2010, 02:34 PM
haha yyup

Nekura
09-10-2010, 12:41 PM
I think they're doing more than just the chalk. I was in the parkade this morning and I physically saw a guy get ticketed. The patrol guy watched him from a distance and the students got out and walked towards sait and thats when they handed him a ticket! I use to work at the mall so I still have my parking pass but they follow you none the less. I ended up walking into the mall without my backpack and walking back out to get it, but he saw me so i pretending like i was just looking for something in my car. I just ran into the mall while he was ticketing the other guy.. I hope he didnt notice, I guess I'll find out later.

FraserB
09-10-2010, 01:25 PM
My wheels were not even chalked today. I just buy a drink at Shoppers and im good for 4 hours:D

Sasuke_Kensai
09-19-2010, 09:37 PM
Does anyone know if they patrol the mall parking lot after 6? Taking a night class at ACAD and the instructor said you're allowed to park there after 6. I'm a bit wary though..

logix
09-19-2010, 09:48 PM
If you know that you're staying late at school, park in the new parkade under the soccer field. After 10:30pm the gates come up automatically when you pull up to it.
Worked last year.. should work this year.
Covered parking in the winter FTW :thumbsup:, also forces you to stay at school to do your homework lol

K3RMiTdot
09-22-2010, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Sasuke_Kensai
Does anyone know if they patrol the mall parking lot after 6? Taking a night class at ACAD and the instructor said you're allowed to park there after 6. I'm a bit wary though..

i sayit should be fine

Awd-Tsi
09-29-2010, 02:13 PM
So where and the good places to park then? Even if I have to walk 5 minutes or so that's fine.

DariuszZ
09-29-2010, 02:59 PM
people... park by banff trail station. I've been parking there for last year and a half with NO tickets NO warnings nothing. Its 10 sec from the station + 2min ctrain ride. IT IS a 2 hr only but like i said, nothing happened to me so far. DONT park right by the ctrain station. 20-40m away from it should be good tho. At least it works for me ;) Good luck.

ericchoweg
09-29-2010, 03:39 PM
my luck ran out got ticketed today in the mall parking lot lol

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-29-2010, 03:45 PM
Not surprised. I don't know anyone who continues to park there. Best thing is I walk through the parking lot each morning and sometimes a parking guy will be like hey you can park here (I park somewhere else but they assume I park there), and I just tell them to find my car and give it a ticket haha.

speedog
09-29-2010, 03:48 PM
If I remember correctly, 17th Avenue NW east of 7th Street is not restricted - 4 blocks from the NE corner of SAIT.

DariuszZ
09-29-2010, 03:49 PM
if you park by the mall:
1WALK into the mall first, so that they think you're at the mall (tell them to fuck off if they say anything)
2 walk right out from a different entrance,
3 walk to the school like nothing happened!
4 Enjoy!

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-29-2010, 03:56 PM
^Doesnt work.

Awd-Tsi
10-03-2010, 06:39 PM
How is the traffic up on deerfoot and 16th? Been thinking it might be easier to drive to a c train and then train it to
sait

Goodfella
10-03-2010, 07:02 PM
Just park in the community behind the proffesional center, its an extra 3-4 minute walk from the mall but its worth it

Awd-Tsi
10-03-2010, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by Goodfella
Just park in the community behind the proffesional center, its an extra 3-4 minute walk from the mall but its worth it pics?

bignerd
10-03-2010, 09:41 PM
I was kind of wondering... people are saying on here you can't park at the mall but everyday when I am waiting at the corner to turn into SAIT I see tons of people parking right at the corner of Sears closest to SAIT, and just walking on over, backpacks and all.

Only on one of the first days of school did I see a security guard wave someone away. Even when he wasn't looking people were parking nearby but behind him.

K3RMiTdot
10-05-2010, 06:26 PM
^^ i dont know why people even part there even after cars started getting towed and shit. i just try to paark at the mall, but never do if i have class at 8. because those niggers are everywhere.

worst comes to worst i park at home depot.

Awd-Tsi
10-05-2010, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by K3RMiTdot
^^ i dont know why people even part there even after cars started getting towed and shit. i just try to paark at the mall, but never do if i have class at 8. because those niggers are everywhere.

worst comes to worst i park at home depot. Yeah anywhere it says 2 hour or customer parking I wouldn't risk it

K3RMiTdot
10-05-2010, 07:39 PM
Its also stupid how students park tehre, obviously nobody going to sears is going to park at the edge --______--.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
10-05-2010, 09:29 PM
Don't bother parking at le Depot. They are starting to take notice as well.

K3RMiTdot
10-05-2010, 09:41 PM
fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck seems like the stress isnt even school, its looking for parking.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
10-08-2010, 06:54 PM
K3MITdot PM me and ill tell you where I park. I think you were following me on Crowchild the other day haha.

J-hop
10-18-2010, 06:49 PM

LLLimit
10-26-2010, 03:45 PM
Walked by after lunch and saw 2 cars being towed away from the sears lot simultaneously, an older camry and a new GMC truck. Still had their parking ticket on the window

After crossing the overpass, I saw 2 more tow trucks drive in.

All 4 trucks were City Wide towing. There was also a Bylaw officer sitting pretty in his parking enforcement car - blended into the parked cars. No doubt directing the tow trucks.

AndyL
10-26-2010, 07:16 PM
Daily occurance, but was a lot later today than usual. Why do you guys even bother - costs a shitload more to get your car out of impound than to pay the measly parking fees.

Awd-Tsi
10-26-2010, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by LLLimit
Walked by after lunch and saw 2 cars being towed away from the sears lot simultaneously, an older camry and a new GMC truck. Still had their parking ticket on the window

After crossing the overpass, I saw 2 more tow trucks drive in.

All 4 trucks were City Wide towing. There was also a Bylaw officer sitting pretty in his parking enforcement car - blended into the parked cars. No doubt directing the tow trucks. this bylaw guy sounds like a faggot

Twin_Cam_Turbo
10-26-2010, 07:30 PM
Yup saw them towing a ton of cars today as well. I parked there yesterday for afternoon class after I got my Jeep out of the shop and when I came back they were towing the truck across from mine.

speedog
10-26-2010, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by Awd-Tsi
this bylaw guy sounds like a faggot He's gay because he's doing his job?

AndyL
10-26-2010, 07:42 PM
:rofl: Critical thinking escapes post secondary students I guess...

Yup it's CPA being an asshole - not security calling mall managers (bentall) calling CPA, who come out and chalk tires, then return and issue tickets, tow orders, then call city wide...

It's a milkrun because you guys make it so... Park legally - and you wont get towed. :dunno: Seems pretty clear to me.

vengie
10-26-2010, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by AndyL
:rofl: Critical thinking escapes post secondary students I guess...

Yup it's CPA being an asshole - not security calling mall managers (bentall) calling CPA, who come out and chalk tires, then return and issue tickets, tow orders, then call city wide...

It's a milkrun because you guys make it so... Park legally - and you wont get towed. :dunno: Seems pretty clear to me.

No, its really the parking companies fault... I don't understand why they charge $8+ dollars to park for the day, with ZERO in and out privileges. Its STUDENT's for god sakes, usually the poorest demographic.

And before you say "The C-train runs right there!" I will say, yes it does, however our transit system is a joke and there is no way you can pinpoint how long it will take to get there, not to mention I work quite far from the train line, therefore I do need my truck there to get to work on time after classes end for the day.

I have a lot more to say but my brain is complete mush right now... Mid-term week...

kaput
10-26-2010, 11:38 PM

FraserB
10-27-2010, 12:02 AM

Chantastic
10-27-2010, 01:25 AM
Guys,

I have been parking in the same spot for 2 years and have never seen anyone else get a ticket there or even a chalk line. You know the big open lot, next to the soccer field? Down the hill (by Riley park) there is a lot there for $3 all day...OR go around the corner in the park parking lot, and it's free! It says 4 hours but I park there sometimes from 9-9 and have never had a single issue. The $3 lot is also come and go as you please, not this one entry bs.

That or the roofless lot I mentioned before has gates that look closed all the time but if you leave after 11pm the gates automatically go up for you when you press the button. Being an starving art student at acad, you learn these things.

Also note that at night (after 5) the Jubilee/ACAD parking lot usually has no attendant in the booth, so you can go right in.

AndyL
10-27-2010, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by vengie

No, its really the parking companies fault... I don't understand why they charge $8+ dollars to park for the day, with ZERO in and out privileges. Its STUDENT's for god sakes, usually the poorest demographic.

Awww muffin - you're going to be in for a hard life... Its their fault you can't get your shit together and take the train, it's their fault you can't afford parking.

8$/day is cheap for parking; wait till you meet the real world where you can pay that for an hour downtown.

:rofl: In and out privileges - WTF? You're bitching about the day rate and you want monthly stall privileges? You wanna come and go - pay for the months rent... it's just that easy.

G-ZUS
10-27-2010, 08:14 AM
I heard somewhere that it was standard parking, the company SAIT outsources parking too who was calling parking control. I used to see the standard parking people riding around with parking control and helping them ticket people.

FraserB
10-27-2010, 11:05 AM
I heard somewhere that it was standard parking, the company SAIT outsources parking too who was calling parking control. I used to see the standard parking people riding around with parking control and helping them ticket people.

If this is true then any ticket issued and any tow conducted is invalid.

I assume it is possible to find out exactly who called the CPA if you fight a ticket.

Awd-Tsi
11-10-2010, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by speedog
He's gay because he's doing his job? yes

Chantastic
11-24-2010, 12:55 AM
yes

yep.

vengie
11-24-2010, 02:33 AM
Originally posted by AndyL

Awww muffin - you're going to be in for a hard life... Its their fault you can't get your shit together and take the train, it's their fault you can't afford parking.

8$/day is cheap for parking; wait till you meet the real world where you can pay that for an hour downtown.

:rofl: In and out privileges - WTF? You're bitching about the day rate and you want monthly stall privileges? You wanna come and go - pay for the months rent... it's just that easy.

It is quite clear you lack the reading skills to comprehend my previous post... Notice how I said "I work quite a ways from any train station therefore need my truck to get to work on time"... THAT is the reason I do not take the train.

$8/day for parking is re-fucking-tarded... do you know Calgary has the 2nd highest parking rates in North America? you have been conditioned to think $8/day is cheap because of the insane amount of cash it is to park downtown... Nenshi has also addressed this problem, wonder why?

I do not see anything wrong with in and out privileges... Mt Royal uses that system, seems to work well? you lose your spot, big deal. I tend to have appointments or things I must leave the school for during the day and am forced to pay ANOTHER $8 to re-park for my afternoon classes, does that in any way make sense? seeing as how I already paid the $8 day rate? or is that a hard concept to grasp as well?

Its not about being able to afford the cost or not... I am fine for money (thanks for the concern ;) ) its more so the extremely flawed system that I do not understand and will continue to rant about.

speedog
11-24-2010, 07:39 AM
yes So can the same logic be applied to you?

calgarydub
11-24-2010, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by speedog
So can the same logic be applied to you?

yes

K3RMiTdot
11-24-2010, 03:52 PM
one of the lots by the train tracks will allow reentry, but prior to leaving u have to ask the guy whos looking after that shit. also depends on his mood too.

bignerd
11-25-2010, 02:38 PM
The city has two lots , on on 16th and one on 17th ave I think, they have spaces available now for SAIT students and it is $52.50 a month, I just switched from SAIT to here. You get a reserved numbered stall, surface parking.

As per the SAITSA website:

New Monthly Parking Option for SAIT Students
Tuesday , November 9, 2010 by admin
We’ve worked with the Calgary Parking Authority to secure 20 new monthly passes for SAIT students.* Availability: Dec. 1st, 2010 LOT 17: 820-16th Ave NW $50.00 + GST per month LOT 18: 1740-9th St NW $50.00 + GST per month

Call city parking authority and have them fax you a contract, it is direct debit not on your credit card but at less than half the price of SAIT it is a much better deal, and almost the same distance to walk depending on where your classes are on campus.

I cannot attach the contract but could email it, you fax back the contract, void cheque and copy of Student ID to 403-537-7001 ATTN Pina Biondo.
**and it is a re-entry lot as you just need to park in your numbered stall and display your pass. **

AndyL
03-12-2011, 12:10 AM
Got a laugh from some of you tonight...

Seriously? There's an app for that? Is it based on user reports or what? Kinda funny to see an iphone on the seat - beeping like mad and flashing tow truck on the screen... as its getting towed...

:rofl:

Guess he forgot his phone... :rofl:

sdiep
03-12-2011, 03:24 PM
Is parking cheaper in the evenings? Or is it the same ridiculous rate as the daytime?

I'm thinking of taking a night course at SAIT.

manny18
03-13-2011, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by sdiep
Is parking cheaper in the evenings? Or is it the same ridiculous rate as the daytime?

I'm thinking of taking a night course at SAIT.

if youre taking night courses park at the sears parking lot. they dont ticket at night

AndyL
03-13-2011, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by manny18
they dont ticket at night
:rofl: Yes they do and tow too...

Chantastic
03-13-2011, 09:28 PM
What time at night? You can usually sneak into the Jubilee lot after 6 as there is no attendant, unless there is a show going on. Or, after 10:30pm, at the big lot with no roof, you can get out for free as the gates go up after that time when you drive up to them.

G-ZUS
03-13-2011, 09:30 PM
If you are taking evening courses, park in the residential area. There is no time restriction after 6 I believe.

manny18
03-13-2011, 11:08 PM
well.. then youre telling me ive been lucky every single day this semester and last semester when my truck is parked at sears lots from 745 am to around 8 pm..
i move my truck before 12 pm ( the 4 hour period when they chalk) after that they dont bother.

manny18
03-13-2011, 11:10 PM
ive had one ticket since last semester.. and it was parking at loco lous for under 2 hours

sdiep
03-19-2011, 08:42 PM
If you are taking evening courses, park in the residential area. There is no time restriction after 6 I believe.

I think I might do that, thanks!

Twin_Cam_Turbo
03-19-2011, 08:46 PM
Watched 4 cars get towed on Tuesday this week while I was standing around waiting for a ride.

manny18
03-19-2011, 11:33 PM
Watched 4 cars get towed on Tuesday this week while I was standing around waiting for a ride.

me too lol.. people should not park there if they dont feel like moving their vehicles before the 4 hr mark

Chantastic
03-20-2011, 12:49 AM

where?

Twin_Cam_Turbo
03-20-2011, 01:01 AM
Sears

Chantastic
03-20-2011, 01:17 AM
that sucks. Day or night?