PDA

View Full Version : Beginner Meat Smoker....

Nufy
08-19-2010, 10:52 PM
So my wife bought me this for my B-day...

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/2/OutdoorLiving/2/BBQsAccessories/CharcoalBBQ/PRD~0851019P/Deluxe%252BCharcoal%252BGrill%252B%25252B%252BSmoker%252B.jsp?locale=en

Maybe it was all the hints I dropped after working in the US and absolutely loving the southern smoked meat I could get in Missouri.

Anyway I'm wondering how this is for a beginner smoker.

I normally wouldn't think of Crappy tire for a BBQ supply place.

Thoughts ????

thecitizen
08-20-2010, 01:25 PM
That's a great smoker for a beginner! Way better than the shitty Brinkmann Smoke n' Grill water smoker than I started out with. That will work decent for you, especially to learn on. It looks to be made with cheaper materials, and won't last forever, but that's what you want when you're learning anyhow! Once you've got some experience, then you'll get pickier about what you like/want, and then you can build or buy a better one!

Good luck man! :thumbsup:

Nufy
08-20-2010, 03:22 PM
Txs for the info.

I was gonna try the old chips & foil with indirect heat on the BBQ first to see if I could get the hang of it.

Gotta find me some good rub recipes first.....

HHURICANE1
08-20-2010, 06:25 PM
Try this:
http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and_brines/meatheads_magic_dust.html

Though next time I use it I'm going to add some cayenne pepper and some crushed chilies. I like it a bit spicier.

Pollywog
08-20-2010, 10:02 PM
Lol, I clicked on this thread thinking it would be an entirely different topic.

thecitizen
08-21-2010, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Pollywog
Lol, I clicked on this thread thinking it would be an entirely different topic.

Me too, actually! :rofl:

mago0
08-22-2010, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by thecitizen

Me too, actually! :rofl:

this.

Graham_A_M
08-22-2010, 04:54 PM
Princess Auto has a variety of smokers when I was there yesterday. From $100 on up to one that was around $300 IIRC.
Best to go down there and check them out as they have a few specials on.

Nufy
08-22-2010, 05:29 PM
I already have the one listed in my OP.

Just wondering whether or not to keep it or return it and look for something better.

r3ccOs
08-23-2010, 10:30 PM
WSM is the only way to go...

Its not only just good, its literially the best

People say 2nd to ceramic cookers, but... not for its purpose
You want to cook alot of smoked meat with accuracy without maintenance?

Weber Smokey Mountain is the only way to go

(well there are electric smokers like Traegar that arne't bad, but I'm not giving up the coal)

Side boxes are the worst to manage heat with and are directional
Every other verticle cooker other than the pro-q is made cheaply... the WSM rocks