PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle accident

Kloubek
08-20-2010, 08:46 AM
A little shaken. Just found out my roommate of 3 years (we moved into different houses 8 months ago) is in ICU with life-threatening injuries.

Happy Friday.

http://www.globaltvcalgary.com/motorcycle+driver+crashes+into+moving+truck+trans+canada+carried/3417866/story.html

SilverGS
08-20-2010, 08:59 AM
That sucks. Hope he pulls through.

Unknown303
08-20-2010, 09:10 AM
That's the craziest sounding story. Hope he pulls through.

Kloubek
08-20-2010, 09:15 AM
Not THAT crazy. The guy seriously can drive aggressively, and I've told him many times that he has to stop or he's going to get in a serious accident. But overall, he is actually a pretty accomplished rider and I'm surprised this happened.

I've spoken to a couple of people, and it appears he will pull through. My understanding is that he broke his pelvis (is in surgery to get plates put in), among multiple other injuries. But at this time, he is considered stable.

JfuckinC
08-20-2010, 09:17 AM
Good to hear, tough lesson to learn though :banghead:

Kloubek
08-20-2010, 09:22 AM
No kidding. Especially since his motorcycle is nearly brand new (cost him around 16-17g I think), and I'd venture to guess it is currently not in great shape. So even if he doesn't value his body much, I KNOW how much he valued his bike.

GQBalla
08-20-2010, 09:22 AM
god damn, how did he rear end a truck?

hopefully he pulls thru though

Teknix
08-20-2010, 09:52 AM
Damn, i lost my best friend to a motorcycle accident this summer. Good to hear he'll pull through. And my friend did not drive anything close to a douche. Be careful out there people!

Kloubek
08-20-2010, 09:57 AM
Honestly GQBalla, he was probably tailgating or doing something stupid.

If it was my guess, this was the scenario:

He was behind two slower moving vehicles. A semi and another vehicle. When he felt he had an opening, he sped up to squeeze in and power through. But then the semi either slowed down, or the other vehicle sped up - either way, the gap closed and by that point he had too much momentum to stop or avoid the collision.

He's a good guy. But I really think he needed something like this to realize how easily he could kill himself. It will be some time before he walks again (let alone rides), and I have a feeling this will leave an impact... no pun intended.

I'm going to visit him in the hospital this afternoon if I can.

kevie88
08-20-2010, 10:06 AM
I'm surprised at 37 years old he hasn't slowed down yet.. I'm (very) near that age and I usually have people yelling at me and giving me the finger for driving the speed limit on my bikes*.. There's so many track days now I don't have any need to speed on the street.

*That's what's funny about riding bikes. Do the speed limit, get sworn at and get the finger. Do 20 over, get sworn at and given the finger.

JordanAndrew
08-20-2010, 10:13 AM
shitty deal for your friend but at least now he'll think twice before he does anything similar.

Cowtown_Raider
08-20-2010, 10:30 AM
wow, that's pretty amazing that he survived that. Flipping onto the truck instead of falling onto the road probably saved his life.

ExtremeSi
08-20-2010, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by kevie88
I'm surprised at 37 years old he hasn't slowed down yet.. I'm (very) near that age and I usually have people yelling at me and giving me the finger for driving the speed limit on my bikes*.. There's so many track days now I don't have any need to speed on the street.

*That's what's funny about riding bikes. Do the speed limit, get sworn at and get the finger. Do 20 over, get sworn at and given the finger.

:werd: Some people just hate bikes and paint us all with the same brush. Doesn't matter how fast or slow we are going.

CapnCrunch
08-20-2010, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by ExtremeSi

:werd: Some people just hate bikes and paint us all with the same brush. Doesn't matter how fast or slow we are going.

Thats because the majority are idiots.

revelations
08-20-2010, 01:07 PM

I usually stick to 10+ the speed limit in the city :zzz:

Hope he heals, and realizes that there are better places to ride like a maniac.

Modern bikes accelerate and decelerate at incredible rates, to go beyond this implies a serious lack of judgment on his part.

Cos
08-20-2010, 01:11 PM
Wow..... hope his body recovers and his brain has learned a good lesson.

Any consolation if you are concerned about him riding again.... his bike insurance is going to skyrocket.

A790
08-20-2010, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch

Bullshit.

CUG
08-20-2010, 01:26 PM
RIP

Kloubek
08-20-2010, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by CUG
RIP

What?

Tomaz
08-20-2010, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by A790

Bullshit.

I can use the statement "The majority of the riders I know are idiots".

300km/h+, Weaving in traffic, oncoming traffic, wheelies through traffic. I know some idiots.

You, my friend, are THE MOST sensible rider I know.

Klobeck, Sorry for what happened to your friend. I hope he has a full recovery.

CUG
08-20-2010, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek

What? Whoa sorry dude. I didn't read the rest of it. Sorry man.

Kloubek
08-20-2010, 01:33 PM
Made my heart lurch there a little!

Unknown303
08-20-2010, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Made my heart lurch there a little!

:rofl: :rofl: How those last few posts unfolded cracks me up.

CUG
08-20-2010, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Tomaz

I can use the statement "The majority of the riders I know are idiots".
300km/h+, Weaving in traffic, oncoming traffic, wheelies through traffic. I know some idiots.
You, my friend, are THE MOST sensible rider I know.
You're ripping on me hard, bro :whipped:

kerry
08-20-2010, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch

I also call shenanigans.

Mamma_Mia
08-20-2010, 02:08 PM
Wow,

I read about that, I'm glad to hear he is okay!!

Kloubek
08-20-2010, 02:17 PM
Thank you.

"OK" might be a bit of an overstatement. He's going to be hurting something fierce for some time. But at least he lived.

Many of the internet articles state he was "clinging to life". I think that was a bit of sensationalism on behalf of the media. While the injuries were indeed potentially life threatening, at no time do I believe they felt they were losing him; I think it is just the inherent risk of internal organ damage when you break the pelvis and suffer an impact like that. (And get knocked out, as he did)

I wish there was a law dictating the media cannot speculate in matters. This is not the first time I've gotten all concerned by words the media has chosen, when it turns out they weren't entirely accurate.

Tomaz
08-20-2010, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by CUG
You're ripping on me hard, bro :whipped:

Well, you have always driven sane when i am around. ;)

I have heard stories of the "Shell's Angels". Witnessed a few things here and there too. Let's just say, I am amazed most of them are still around.

Kobe
08-20-2010, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Tomaz

Well, you have always driven sane when i am around. ;)

I have heard stories of the "Shell's Angels". Witnessed a few things here and there too. Let's just say, I am amazed most of them are still around.

I have never seen anybody ride as slow as CUG in my life :)

maxomilll
08-20-2010, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by ExtremeSi

Good thing about riding bikes though, is you get tons of waves from the little kids on the street.

Tomaz
08-20-2010, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Kobe

I have never seen anybody ride as slow as CUG in my life :)

Have you met A790?

:love: lol

Kloubek
08-20-2010, 05:25 PM
Well, I just visited him in hospital. He had some internal bleeding, a dislocated wrist, two spained wrists, and a broken pelvis. But he is coherant and in good spirits.

What I figured happened is exactly what happened. He was trying to pass two semi trucks. The one on the right was going slower than the one on the left, but he figured he would have enough time to squeeze between the two. When he got really close, he realized the window had closed up and he could not pass, but had a lot of momentum. He locked his brakes before slamming into the rear of the truck on the right.

The bike got totalled, but as this was a tanker truck it had lots of room above the rear fender guards that it actually held him in place until the truck was stopped. He estimated he was going 120 when he hit the truck, and the truck was going 50. (Though I'd venture to guess both figures are slightly low, knowing the way his mind works)

If it were not for the fender supporting him, he would have had the additional impact of the pavement at 120ish, and I'm not sure he would have made it in that case. His body had already crumpled and there would not have been a lot of support for his lower organs on impact.

Anyway, he says this was a total wakeup call. I did not realize it at the time, but he was riding with someone. (He usually rides solo). The other guy just bought his bike and started riding, but after seeing this, he's debating just selling it off. I think watching something like that happen really puts things in perspective.

CUG
08-20-2010, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Kobe

I have never seen anybody ride as slow as CUG in my life :) I ride slow enough that no one else wants to ride with me anymore :cry:

Kloubek, any updates? I can kinda relate to the craziness of it all. I tossed pretty hard a couple of times at the track... once in corner one, and then a year later in corner 4. It took a small bit of enthusiasm out of riding. Gets expensive too.

Cos
08-20-2010, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by CUG
I ride slow enough that no one else wants to ride with me anymore :cry:

Slow beyond meet? I know Codetrap and I will ride like Grandma's

Graham_A_M
08-20-2010, 07:08 PM
I usually have people yelling at me and giving me the finger for driving the speed limit on my bikes*.. There's so many track days now I don't have any need to speed on the street.

Really? thats odd. Nobody I personally know has ever been given the finger or sworn at, or anything along those lines.

Must be a lot more to it then merely riding a bike. :dunno:

Glad to hear hes recovering. Hopefully he slows the fuck down. I ride rather aggressively too, but dont do ANY of the shit that was listed in this thread. Whats been mentioned here is pure stupidity. :facepalm:

CUG
08-21-2010, 04:30 AM
Originally posted by Cos

Slow beyond meet? I know Codetrap and I will ride like Grandma's I'd go for a burn with you guys... set it up!