I need to borrow a wide angle canon mount lens for the weekend of 27th-29th
can leave a deposit if required please pm

89coupe
08-20-2010, 11:03 AM
Most camera stores rent them.

EvolizePhoto
08-20-2010, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by 89coupe
Most camera stores rent them. I do not have a credit card and I don't believe in having a credit card. I will not be able to rent from a camera store which is why I posted here.

89coupe
08-20-2010, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by EvolizePhoto
I do not have a credit card and I don't believe in having a credit card. I will not be able to rent from a camera store which is why I posted here.

They won't take cash as a deposit?

EvolizePhoto
08-20-2010, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Go4Long
hard to get a credit card when you switch jobs every couple months...

If you talked to either rentals department I'm sure if you gave a large cash deposit they would let you take the lens out for the weekend...just don't bother talking to the person working the counter and go straight to the managers. I cut my last credit card which was last summer after I paid it off. I could easily call up visa and get another one, I just don't want it. I have no reason to need a credit card. Personal preference.

None of the camera stores will allow me to rent with cash. I approached vistek with $1000 which was $300 more than the price of the lens and they would not let me rent it.

I'm thinking I might find one at a futureshop/bestbuy and buy/return it like I did with a 70-200.

Nice try at a weak insult though.

Joe-G
08-20-2010, 03:00 PM
Find someone with a credit card, and give them money as a deposit??

EvolizePhoto
08-20-2010, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by syeve

Do it! Then i will buy it as an open box

:D :rofl:

You know, I'd go and buy this wide angle because I actually need one....if it wasn't for my new camera purchase happening next month. Canon lenses wont fit on nikon bodies

RC-Cola
08-20-2010, 03:30 PM
I'll get the post back on track, how wide are you looking for?

I have a 17-40mm f4 L lens if you'd like. I'd like to know what you're going to do with it first and possibly take something to ensure that I get the lens back.

EvolizePhoto
08-20-2010, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by RC-Cola
I'll get the post back on track, how wide are you looking for?

I have a 17-40mm f4 L lens if you'd like. I'd like to know what you're going to do with it first and possibly take something to ensure that I get the lens back. Not wide enough. Looking for canon/sigma 10-20 or tokina 11-18.
Lens will be used for rig shots when I'm up in edmonton next weekend.

EvolizePhoto
08-20-2010, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by blitz
Might have more luck if you offer someone some cash instead of just asking to borrow. If they want cash then I can give them some. Doesn't matter.

inline6turbo
08-20-2010, 07:53 PM
Get a prepaid credit card for $500 of something.

BerserkerCatSplat
08-20-2010, 08:03 PM
Thread cleaned up. If you want to argue about credit card BS, feel free to PM each other to your hearts' content.

AccentAE86
08-20-2010, 09:14 PM
I'd let you borrow one of mine (10-22 and 11-16) but I'm shooting a wedding that weekend and need them.

If you have a full frame Nikon by then, you could borrow my Nikon mount 17mm prime.

Why switching? There isn't much to be gained either way...

quazimoto
08-21-2010, 07:33 AM
Not sure why my post got deleted but I'll say it again and don't argue with it because it's how vistek and the camera store work.

You can rent any of their lenses without a credit card so long as you provide them the full amount for the lens or item you are renting. This can be either debit or cash up front but they require 100% of the items value this way. I know this for fact as I just did this with a 200-400mm rental. If you are saying you approached them with $1000 for a $700 lens then sorry either the stores both have you black listed from renting or something else is going on.

They have no reason to not rent you a lens once you give them full payment, just think about it. If you don't return it they just sold it for full price. If you do return it, they make money off you still. I'm really puzzled as to the above statement.

Bukka
08-22-2010, 09:49 AM
Quazi, I've been with dave on one of these attempts to rent a lens with cash.

He had the ammount + some, and the person at the counter just straight up said they don't do that. We hadn't even had a chance to get to our names.

quazimoto
08-22-2010, 03:00 PM
If that's the case then he's been black listed by them. IF you ask them, they will tell you you can give us a 100% deposit with a debit card. In this case maybe he's been buying and returning items at vistek as that will get you a straight up black list from any store. I just rented the 200-400mm F4 Nikon lens by giving them a 100% deposit on the item. Seriously think about it, it makes no sense at all for them to refuse unless they didn't have significant reason.

He's lucky nobody on this forum has turned him into the police. For those not aware it is a form of fraud to purchase an item knowing full well you intend to return it.

Mitsu3000gt
08-22-2010, 04:11 PM
I've used rental departments before and also worked in them. 100% cash deposit works every time because if you don't bring the lens back they make money by essentially selling their beat up rental lens for full price. If they won't let you put down cash there is a reason specific to you I would think.

There is not a single good reason why the cash deposit won't work, if they won't let him I agree with Quazi he's been black listed or something.

Originally posted by quazimoto
He's lucky nobody on this forum has turned him into the police. For those not aware it is a form of fraud to purchase an item knowing full well you intend to return it.

It's funny you mentioned that, when I worked at RONA people did that with power tools all the time that they needed for jobs. We never called the police on anyone but let me tell you their reactions were priceless when I would refuse to take the item back and they were out $500 or $1000 or whatever.

Nekura
08-23-2010, 12:26 AM
This is exactly why your supposed to check your return policy before you purchase items you might not keep.