PDA

View Full Version : Car Theft Prevention

thich
12-22-2003, 07:55 PM
Today I was lounging at home and caught a news special they had on CBC Newsworld about Grand Theft Auto (the crime, not the game :)) definitely an interesting program.

So anyways, they had like this professional thief actually try to break into 5 cars that they picked out and it took about 1 minute to break into most of the cars.

I guess like many people have said that if a thief wants your car bad enough, nothing will stop him. (this is what that professional car thief said too)

However, CBC did say that car immobilizers pretty much stop the thieves from taking the car period (unfortunately they could probably break up your car pretty bad if they got ticked off :( )
Is a car immobilizer that good of a deterrent? there must be ways around it.
They also mentioned after-market immobilizers too - which run like $400.. something about that didn't ring too well with me..

so basically the question is.... are car immobilizers (anti-theft deterrent devices) the be all and end all of conventional car theft-deterrent devices?

civic_stylez
12-22-2003, 08:32 PM
this is my immobilizer, i am well aware that the car can still be stolen and the can get my stereo but i hope they might see the wheel is gone and keep looking elsewhere... its also fun to play with.

kaput
12-22-2003, 08:33 PM

SinisterProbeGt
12-22-2003, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by civic_stylez
this is my immobilizer, i am well aware that the car can still be stolen and the can get my stereo but i hope they might see the wheel is gone and keep looking elsewhere... its also fun to play with.

Nice I was going to do the same thing on my car. Kinda weird looking in and not seeing a wheel.
:thumbsup:

sxtasy
12-22-2003, 10:30 PM
Do you take the wheel off everytime you park??:eek:

civic_stylez
12-22-2003, 10:36 PM
most of the time... usually if i go to the mall or something ill take it off. the real reason i bought it was so i could be like mikey schumacher and take the wheel of like F1 style. it was a good investment IMO its good for theft, car shows and if you ever work on your dash it makes life ALOT easier.

ninspeed
12-22-2003, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by civic_stylez
most of the time... usually if i go to the mall or something ill take it off. the real reason i bought it was so i could be like mikey schumacher and take the wheel of like F1 style. it was a good investment IMO its good for theft, car shows and if you ever work on your dash it makes life ALOT easier.
And most people i have seen with this keep the wheel under the seat :D.....

FiveFreshFish
12-22-2003, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by ninspeed

And most people i have seen with this keep the wheel under the seat :D.....

...along with the removable stereo face plate! :D

maximus
12-22-2003, 11:35 PM
I was going to get one too but I didn't want to walk around with a steering wheel in my hand. Kinda pointless to put it under the seat.

My car does have an imobolizer though. Good investment in my opinion. Sometimes its tempermental but usually very good. An extra second before starting the car I can live with for peace of mind.

I know they can probably get around it if they really wanted too but it would really slow them down. Everything you can get to protect yourself pretty much is only good to slow the thieves down.

Anyone know whatever happened to that tracking device that they were trying out in the states a couple years ago?

tegdream
12-22-2003, 11:38 PM
yeha saw that show too! haha my dad told me to start using the club :eek:

maximus
12-22-2003, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by tegdream
yeha saw that show too! haha my dad told me to start using the club :eek:

Don't waste your money on a club.

tegdream
12-23-2003, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by maximus

Don't waste your money on a club.

i know, have a couple lying around lol

but everything, if itll slow em down its better then nothing right :thumbsup:

maximus
12-23-2003, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by tegdream

i know, have a couple lying around lol

but everything, if itll slow em down its better then nothing right :thumbsup:

But the club dosn't even slow them down!!! They just cut the damn steering wheel. Damn thieves :guns:

thich
12-23-2003, 12:13 AM
yeah. i heard the club is that useless.

anyone use an aftermarket immobilizer? how good is it?

maximus
12-23-2003, 06:19 PM
Ya I have one on my 16v. With the OEM steering wheel it was sort of a bitch to get at but you couldn't see it at all. With the momo its a little more visible and easier to get at. Mines kinda tempermental at times but usually its pretty good.

JustinL
12-24-2003, 09:41 AM
I have a theory on the club. I think it's built to be a weapon and has a secondary feature of attaching to the steering wheel. It's illeagal to carry a wepon with you, but the club is usually arms reach away from the driver and those things feel like they could do some damage.

If you have some sort of fuel management you can upload new maps that won't allow the car to run. And there's always the relay for the computer.

Justin

Redlyne_mr2
12-24-2003, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by JustinL
I have a theory on the club. I think it's built to be a weapon and has a secondary feature of attaching to the steering wheel. It's illeagal to carry a wepon with you, but the club is usually arms reach away from the driver and those things feel like they could do some damage.

If you have some sort of fuel management you can upload new maps that won't allow the car to run. And there's always the relay for the computer.

Justin
Do you have the oldschool POrsche antitheft system on your 944 JustinL? The weird set up with the extra key cylinder in the rear quarter? What a weird setup, does it work well?

JustinL
12-24-2003, 11:53 AM
Both 944s came with that extra lock cylinder... and neither came with a key for it. "Old red" has the original alarm, and the 951 has had it's replaced with a much newer alarm. They both work well, but I have much more confidence in the 951's alarm just because of it's age. Any time the car will be parked for a longer period of time, the MAP controller box gets unplugged and I take it with me. This makes it virtually impossible to steal because the DME gets no airflow signal.

The best way to deter a theif is to have nothing worth stealing. I have no amp, average stereo, two speakers, and I never keep anything extra in the car with me except oil and a can of hope. My building is horrible for car break-ins, but they seem to leave me alone because there's nothing to take.

Justin