PDA

View Full Version : speedtech closing?

Pages : [1] 2 3

CMW403
08-22-2010, 10:30 AM
Iv been on holidays in BC for two weeks, a couple weeks before I left I had ordered a CF trunk lid from them. When I got home last night I had atleast three messages from speedtech informing me that the trunk was in, the last message saying that they are closing indefinetly and they really want me to get my trunk lid.

I'm surprised there isn't a thread on this already. Does anybody know anything?

dj_rice
08-22-2010, 10:37 AM
Wouldnt you get answers when you do get your lid?

CMW403
08-22-2010, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by dj_rice
Wouldnt you get answers when you do get your lid?

Yeah, but that message was on the 10th of august. I'm worried that I won't be seeing the lid.

sr20s14zenki
08-22-2010, 11:07 AM
I was talking to Paul while i was at Dynomotive lastnite, thats the first i heard of the news they were shutting down. Man, dropping like flys, first Option Import, now Speedtech. Tsk tsk tsk....quitters :D :angel:

Dj_Stylz
08-22-2010, 11:09 AM
Home invasion had nothing to do with Will.

Yes SpeedTech closed their door's yesterday.

dj_rice
08-22-2010, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Dj_Stylz

Did they do a liquidation sale?

sevewone
08-22-2010, 11:30 AM
Hey at least JDM source is still open.

123focus
08-22-2010, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by dj_rice
Wouldnt you get answers when you do get your lid?But since you couldn't wait til then heres something to think about

Maybe it has to due with that incident with the home invasion and ear chopped off

ear chopped off? :dunno:

Modelexis
08-22-2010, 11:37 AM
How could they just close like that?

No explanation?

Crazy how so many people in the city fly their flag at no charge and are dumped on the proverbial side of the road with no warning.

CMW403
08-22-2010, 11:39 AM
So what do you suggest I do about the CF trunk lid that I paid for?

Modelexis
08-22-2010, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by CMW403
So what do you suggest I do about the CF trunk lid that I paid for?

I would suggest you PM speedtech and make arrangements before you're SOL.

Redlyne_mr2
08-22-2010, 11:50 AM
I would also check your cc statement as most pre-order items were refunded directly back to the credit card with which they were purchased.

Yesterday was in fact there final day, thanks for supporting the scene all these years STRD. :thumbsup:

Type_S1
08-22-2010, 12:03 PM
....So why wouldn't they say something on beyond about this? :dunno:

Soo many people supported this company(from who I have dealt with there I have no clue why) and they don't have the decency to tell their supporters they are closing doors. Time to peel the stickers off your cars everyone haha.

Atleast they supported the import scene in Calgary for a few years...I'm sure another store will pop up soon.

Talk about closing up shop and running....but did this have anything to do with the whole home invasion ear chopped off thing?

revelations
08-22-2010, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Dj_Stylz

Originally posted by Type_S1
Talk about closing up shop and running....but did this have anything to do with the whole home invasion ear chopped off thing?

Sugarphreak
08-22-2010, 12:22 PM

eglove
08-22-2010, 12:23 PM
Not very nice to close with no warning... But oh well. You gotta do what you gotta do. Thanks for all the help the past couple years Jackie and Paul.

5hift
08-22-2010, 12:28 PM
The way the whole home invasion ear chopped off thing keeps not only getting brought up, but disappearing from the threads makes it pretty obvious its related to someone on here or at least the people who keep doing the outright denial know a lot more than letting on.

But in regards to Speedtech closing ... good riddance, never have I experienced such a stuck up group of ricers. The way they closed up shop without notice, screwing over customers is a great portrayal how they did business the entire time they did manage to operate.

banned3x
08-22-2010, 12:32 PM
I cannot believe this. Wow. I love'd that store.

g-m
08-22-2010, 12:33 PM
Its an unsustainable business anyway. Why should I buy parts from them? I know how to use the internet, I can get the exact same parts except without the markup. Plus, they get delivered to my front door!

CMW403
08-22-2010, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by 5hift
The way the whole home invasion ear chopped off thing keeps not only getting brought up, but disappearing from the threads makes it pretty obvious its related to someone on here or at least the people who keep doing the outright denial know a lot more than letting on.

But in regards to Speedtech closing ... good riddance, never have I experienced such a stuck up group of ricers. The way they closed up shop without notice, screwing over customers is a great portrayal how they did business the entire time they did manage to operate.

I'm going to have to disagree with you here...

since i bought my car in 2007 iv purchased tires, rims, coilovers and exhaust from these guys. every time i was in there it was short, sweet and efficient. my mom even went in there to pick up a set of tires for me and when she came home she couldnt stop talking about how kind they were to her. will was always very helpful over beyond and would reply to PM's regarding products and stock immediately. i always had a lot of questions and never once did he get overwhelmed or annoyed.

depending on how they handle my situation with the CF trunk lid, i'm sure they will be missed.

2EFNFAST
08-22-2010, 12:36 PM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

Hash_man
08-22-2010, 12:37 PM
Interesting... I didn't see that one coming, but I am curious about this home invasion story that people are talking about. Wierd.

I thought speedtech was doing fairly well as a business, interesting to see them go.

speedog
08-22-2010, 12:43 PM
Interesting that their web site hasn't been updated since late 2009, almost 10 months ago.

Anyhow, when a company decides to close their doors, there are often many 'behind the scenes' mitigating factors that will control how they close their business down. To bash Speedtech because they didn't let their customers know of their closure or because they didn't have a liquidation sale is completely unfair if you are not intimately aware of everything going on that caused this closure.

Really the only ones who should be upset about this are the customers and possibly some of Speedtech's suppliers who get hooped out of their monies for ordered or delivered equipment. And don't be so sure that pre-ordered items on a credit card will be refunded as if this is a court ordered closure (bankruptcy/whatever), then the little guy (consumer) and most suppliers will get the shaft first - if the doors are closed, then I suspect people can kiss good bye to any prepaid ordered equipment (consumers) or delivered but unpaid for equipment (suppliers).

Redlyne_mr2
08-22-2010, 12:45 PM

How have they screwed over any customers? Have you ever even bought anything from them? Those who dealt with strd on a regular basis sid so because of the service. They helped the scene progress and some of the nicest builds in the world are out of Calgary because of them. I'm
sure they won't miss people like you either :)

banned3x
08-22-2010, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Hash_man
Interesting... I didn't see that one coming, but I am curious about this home invasion story that people are talking about. Wierd.

I thought speedtech was doing fairly well as a business, interesting to see them go.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/2010/08/13/calgary-ear-home-invasion-sherwood-common.html

banned3x
08-22-2010, 12:50 PM
Isn't all employees from strd on beyond? I wish I would of known so I could of gone down there to buy things on sale :(

Impreza
08-22-2010, 12:52 PM
Sorry to see them go. Nice to have a shop take care of all the shipping, etc.

xerofx
08-22-2010, 12:57 PM
Heh Impreza..why the quick edit on your question what vendor?

Sugarphreak
08-22-2010, 12:58 PM

Impreza
08-22-2010, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by xerofx
Heh Impreza..why the quick edit on your question what vendor?

Cause it really doesn't matter. None of my business...

BrknFngrs
08-22-2010, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Nobody had their ear cut off; now please look at this for just a second....

http://www.soundstage.com/yfiles/pics/200007_mib1.jpg

:rofl:

banned3x
08-22-2010, 01:25 PM
Do you think the vendors are have I gang type r war?

I just hope they re open I love that store.

revelations
08-22-2010, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by g-m
Its an unsustainable business anyway. Why should I buy parts from them? I know how to use the internet, I can get the exact same parts except without the markup. Plus, they get delivered to my front door!

True, but these guys were able to do a lot of the leg work for those who either didnt have a ton of time, or the ability, or the willingness to do the research themselves.

Zewind
08-22-2010, 01:39 PM
damn, i loved them :(:cry:

sad to see them close

btimbit
08-22-2010, 08:18 PM

Beat me to it. Good riddance. I wonder how many broken Preludes are going to leave their speedtech stickers on

uptown.
08-22-2010, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by btimbit

Beat me to it. Good riddance. I wonder how many broken Preludes are going to leave their speedtech stickers on

yea every honda will have 1 less sticker now

Alak
08-22-2010, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by uptown.

And one less horsepower.....

turbotrip
08-22-2010, 09:11 PM

good riddance indeed

Disoblige
08-22-2010, 09:13 PM
Depends who you deal with at Speedtech.

Speedtech service was incredible to me. Paul and Will are great people. Sad to see Speedtech close down.

Anything products I purchased that didn't do the job I needed it to do, they took the time to diagnose and replace for me usually free of charge. No ride after I dropped the car off? Got someone to drive me to where I needed to be.

Can't say the same for all the staff there but I always loved dealing with Will and Paul (and Tein in the older days).

I wish you guys good luck in the future. And keep up the good service.

Mr_ET
08-22-2010, 09:22 PM
Tien, Paul and especially Will were great people to deal with. I have mixed feelings about others but Will always took great care of me and my friends.

I wish them all the best and hope the place is closing for the right reasons.

I wish them all the best in their future endeavors.

Disoblige
08-22-2010, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by Mr_ET
Tien, Paul and especially Will were great people to deal with. I have mixed feelings about others but Will always took great care of me and my friends.

I'm glad someone shares the same opinion as I do.

On a side note, anyone want to tell or PM me where Paul and Will are headed off to next?

troi.oi
08-22-2010, 09:37 PM
whos 28 that works at speedtech??

cjay^
08-22-2010, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by uptown.

fuck yeah

Zewind
08-22-2010, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige

On a side note, anyone want to tell or PM me where Paul and Will are headed off to next?

Nothing but good things to say about Will and Michael. Very nice to deal with.

I wish them the best of luck in the future.
:thumbsup:

KuruptEX
08-22-2010, 11:03 PM
Best of luck to will and Paul indeed amazing and extremly nice guys! Hope the shop was closed for positive reasons.

CelicaST-162
08-22-2010, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Mr_ET

My sentiments exactly, Will has always done his best to help me with questions and purchases and such same with Paul and Tien. As for the rest of them, anytime I would ask for parts and such I never got the answers nor the help. Therefore, I went elsewhere.

Point4Dave
08-22-2010, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by troi.oi
whos 28 that works at speedtech??

Different stories going around for sure.

Found this article that gives more info than the others.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Crime/2010/08/14/15023716.html

LilDrunkenSmurf
08-22-2010, 11:15 PM
Why would everyone peel off their STRD stickers? There's still an STRD shop in EDM and in Sask..

Also, Irony?

http://members.shaw.ca/jory.irving/strd.jpg

EvolizePhoto
08-22-2010, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by Point4Dave

Different stories going around for sure.

Found this article that gives more info than the others.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Crime/2010/08/14/15023716.html Definately sounds like somebody from speedtech. Why is everybody making such a push to deny it is will ?

LilDrunkenSmurf
08-22-2010, 11:17 PM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

Disoblige
08-22-2010, 11:20 PM
Potted flowers decorated the stairs of the two-storey home in the upscale neighbourhood where the attack happened, while a shiny Hummer was parked out front and a motorbike was seen in the garage.

Someone from Speedtech drives a Hummer? Unless that's true, I don't know how you can relate that to someone from Speedtech that easily.

2EFNFAST
08-22-2010, 11:29 PM

Redlyne_mr2
08-22-2010, 11:29 PM
No one from Speedtech drives a Hummer. The home invasion had nothing to do with anyone from STRD.

boarderfatty
08-23-2010, 12:10 AM
I disagree, having a speedtech badge will be like a collectors item now, we will belong to an elite crew, good for atleast 3 additional hp

On a side note I have had nothing but extremely good service from speedtech in Edmonton and Calgary. before Edmonton opened, I would make special trips to cowtown just to goto speedtech since that shop was far superior to anything in E town at the time, and still received better service there than I did at autodream or JDM source.

YamahaV8
08-23-2010, 12:10 AM

I talked to Paul and he said he is opening a shop possibly somewhere around the Edmonton trail area. Probably be another month or so before he gets it set up though.

2EFNFAST
08-23-2010, 12:12 AM

SportEL
08-23-2010, 12:22 AM
I've always had good service through Will.

I do have at least a $15 credit through them. I guess I will never see that back???

Skyline_Addict
08-23-2010, 12:32 AM
Thanks for everything over the years, STRD.

Will, Jackie, Paul, Terry (for the last few months), Michael, Pat and everyone.

psycoticclown
08-23-2010, 12:46 AM
Home Invasion definitely didn't happen to Will, one of my friends said she went into SpeedTech a few days after it and he had 2 ears haha.

EvolizePhoto
08-23-2010, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by psycoticclown
Home Invasion definitely didn't happen to Will, one of my friends said she went into SpeedTech a few days after it and he had 2 ears haha. :rofl:

MGCM
08-23-2010, 01:17 AM
Vex Performance is moving to Calgary this fall, hopefully they can fill some of the void that speedtech left.

xxviet
08-23-2010, 01:24 AM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

psycoticclown
08-23-2010, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by MGCM
Vex Performance is moving to Calgary this fall, hopefully they can fill some of the void that speedtech left.

:werd:

MGCM
08-23-2010, 04:32 AM

:werd:

You will be happy with Vex Performance, they have done a wide variety of really sweet builds and will provide excellent service for anything you need.

Type_S1
08-23-2010, 06:44 AM
Some people seem to have had opposite experiences then I did. I never personally dealt with Paul or Will, though close friends have on many projects and said they had amazing service. I had the horrible oppurtunity to deal with others there who I will not name and they were complete pricks. After the lack of service and completely "I'm so cool cause I work at speedtech bro I know more about anything then you" attitude I refused to ever go back and the friends who were loyal customers stopped going there as well because of this.

If this closure had anything to do with lack of business or whatnot I can 100% see why.

dsr7723
08-23-2010, 07:09 AM

Plus, when 80% of your clientele are criminals, well, the rest of the story writes itself.

LilDrunkenSmurf
08-23-2010, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by MGCM

+1 I love dealing with Vex. They did my clutch for me.

But it won't be the same.. because service will be consistent.

heavyD
08-23-2010, 07:23 AM
They never did anything wrong by me and it's never good to see enthusiast shops closing their doors. I didn't buy much from them (SRT-4 downpipe & exhaust comes to mind) but Will was always quick to respond to my PM's and their pricing was competitive on some stuff.

ericchoweg
08-23-2010, 08:43 AM
they were hit or miss with me too but really had the city by the balls where else were you gonna go with an eg civic?

sad to see them go time to peel the stickers off the whip how do you rep for a shop that isnt around anymore?

Point4Dave
08-23-2010, 08:55 AM

Someone from Speedtech drives a Hummer? Unless that's true, I don't know how you can relate that to someone from Speedtech that easily.

Exactly!

Point4Dave
08-23-2010, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf
Why would everyone peel off their STRD stickers? There's still an STRD shop in EDM and in Sask..

Also, Irony?

http://members.shaw.ca/jory.irving/strd.jpg

Where's the irony ?

EDIT: Neeeeevermind, just saw the Speedtech ad now.

1slw4dr
08-23-2010, 09:01 AM

sh0ko
08-23-2010, 09:01 AM
gluck to all those who were at speedtech.

I have never had a shop constantly give me the proper advice and professional service that Will, Paul, Rocky provided

im sad to see them go....

ringmaster
08-23-2010, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by Type_S1
Some people seem to have had opposite experiences then I did. I never personally dealt with Paul or Will, though close friends have on many projects and said they had amazing service. I had the horrible oppurtunity to deal with others there who I will not name and they were complete pricks. After the lack of service and completely "I'm so cool cause I work at speedtech bro I know more about anything then you" attitude I refused to ever go back and the friends who were loyal customers stopped going there as well because of this.

If this closure had anything to do with lack of business or whatnot I can 100% see why.

I had the same experience...
So they closed the doors, about time I say.
I still remember what one of the guys at the counter said when I went in asking about CF hoods:
"We don't carry those"
There was one hanging on the wall beside him. I've never been back.

bituerbo
08-23-2010, 11:01 AM
VEX is a race shop, not a sticker factory with a keystone account.

v2kai
08-23-2010, 11:34 AM
sad to see STRD go. Will was the man. as many others have voiced, I can't honestly speak highly of a few of the other members of the STRD team.

good luck in your future endeavours.

Aaron@Tuner
08-23-2010, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by v2kai
sad to see STRD go. Will was the man. as many others have voiced, I can't honestly speak highly of a few of the other members of the STRD team.

good luck in your future endeavours.

now can anyone tell me where I'm supposed to buy a replacement ViS CF hood... as far as I know STRD was the main distributor supplying to other performance shops as well. Mine got pwned after my car was reversed into and all the pricing from the states is outrageous with shipping.

We're a VIS distributor as well, give us a call and I'll try to give you a hand.

Always sad to see a good shop in the industry close down :(

LilDrunkenSmurf
08-23-2010, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by bituerbo
VEX is a race shop, not a sticker factory with a keystone account.

I dunno. Last time I was there, I asked for a sticker to rep them, and they have me like 12.

But they're still awesome. I always recommend them for work, and as a good option import replacement.

inline6turbo
08-23-2010, 12:21 PM
Omg the mods monitoring this thread are making me go crazy! The ninja nukes are sooo fast!!

:rofl: :nut:

Tik-Tok
08-23-2010, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by inline6turbo
Omg the mods monitoring this thread are making me go crazy! The ninja nukes are sooo fast!!

Sorry to hear about your ear Renee, did they sow it back on yet?

LilDrunkenSmurf
08-23-2010, 12:50 PM

Some are getting "removed" and some outright deleted it seems like..?

LilDrunkenSmurf
08-23-2010, 12:51 PM

Whoa, didn't even notice this was gone. I wonder what rule I broke?

maxout
08-23-2010, 01:00 PM
Did Renee ear get cut off too?

BigDL
08-23-2010, 01:02 PM
Home Invasion definitely didn't happen to Will, one of my friends said she went into SpeedTech a few days after it and he had 2 ears haha.

I know the name of the person in the home invasion, and it is not will.

inline6turbo
08-23-2010, 01:08 PM
^OMG no wai!

I think the whole world knows now.

But shhhh!!

And I'm very thankful to have both mine attached still.

JRSC00LUDE
08-23-2010, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Sorry to hear about your ear Renee, did they sow it back on yet?

That reads like a thinly veiled pig comment! :rofl::rofl:

You bastard! Leave Renee alone! ;)

LilDrunkenSmurf
08-23-2010, 01:15 PM

Whoa, didn't even notice this was gone. I wonder what rule I broke?

Oh. I get it. ;)

inline6turbo
08-23-2010, 01:23 PM
Did you just quote... yourself??

oink oink :drool:

*Thread derailment in progress to divert attention from the obvious*

AllGoNoShow
08-23-2010, 01:55 PM
VEX Racing has a lot of stepping up to their previous commitments before I would ever think about stepping anywhere near them again, good luck but they will drop as well.

vengie
08-23-2010, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by AllGoNoShow
VEX Racing has a lot of stepping up to their previous commitments before I would ever think about stepping anywhere near them again, good luck but they will drop as well.

It was previously Vex TUNING, and I won't lie, they were a joke... I had a lot of work done on my G35 there and would run into problem after problem and they did not warranty any work.

I was extremely reluctant to go back with my STI. However, Myron has completely re-vamped the shop and has taken a little more control in the day to day business and he now has a GREAT staff.

I would now highly recommend VEX performance to anyone.

rc2002
08-23-2010, 03:06 PM
It's sad to hear that STRD is closing down. Will was awesome to deal with and so were Pat and Nick and Paul (I didn't deal that much with others). Prices were competitive and service was top notch.

psycoticclown
08-23-2010, 03:29 PM
Vex is amazing now. Reasonably priced, good work and very friendly guys. Should be a great addition to Calgary.

gyu
08-23-2010, 03:49 PM
Wow must've been some pretty controversial stuff being said that I missed out on for so much posts getting deleted, removed, and the whole thread on the home invasion getting deleted.
what's going on:dunno:

JZS_147
08-23-2010, 04:13 PM
There are tons of competent shops around town who do a lot of good work, and sell premium automotive products.....there's really not going to be any problems filling the market they leave behind...

tomt64
08-23-2010, 04:14 PM
Will was nothing but a standup guy, when stuff was on backorder I was kept informed.
I used to buy most of my stuff online, then I gave Will a chance and it was a lot less troublesome than ordering online most times. With shipping and fake border fee crap it was almost always around the same price or a little more.
If the package didnt show up, you didnt pay for it. Anything broken; again you didnt pay for it. Will always took care of his customers.
I would bet the main reason for closing is not enough business from the Calgary cheap-asses. Some people expect to get car parts at a price just above wholesale, all while the company has wages/rent/utilities to pay. I dont see Ed/Sask places closing down anytime soon.

JZS_147
08-23-2010, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by tomt64

I would bet the main reason for closing is not enough business from the Calgary cheap-asses. Some people expect to get car parts at a price just above wholesale, all while the company has wages/rent/utilities to pay. I dont see Ed/Sask places closing down anytime soon.

Because everyone wants to order shit online and not support local businesses.

Point4Dave
08-23-2010, 04:21 PM
^OMG no wai!

I think the whole world knows now.

But shhhh!!

And I'm very thankful to have both mine attached still.

:facepalm:

403ep3
08-23-2010, 04:29 PM
Shit, I just saw this now and that SUCKS! Will was definately a standup guy and very helpful.

+1 for Vex, only sticker I have on my slowmobile

7thgenvic
08-23-2010, 04:49 PM
Speedtech was a great shop with great individuals who worked there. I supported the shop since they first opened.

Small customer of big customer. They treated people well. :)

JZS_147
08-23-2010, 04:57 PM
looks like i'll never get any of my compustar shit warrantied or the missing parts they were supposed to get me over 6 months ago....