PDA

View Full Version : Bomb Scare @ CrossIron Mills

Disoblige
08-22-2010, 11:03 PM
A bomb scare stranded dozens of shoppers at Cross-Iron Mills mall, Sunday night.

Somebody spotted a suspicious object beside a car in the parking lot and alerted police.

RCMP Sgt. Patrick Webb tells 660news, the bomb squad has travelled from Edmonton to investigate.

Webb says in most cases, the objects don't turn out to be anything serious, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

The threat is a big inconvenience for shoppers, many have been stuck in the mall for hours.

Dozens could not get to their cars, while the parking lot was off limits.

http://www.660news.com/news/local/article/92222--bomb-scare-at-cross-iron-mills-mall

Global news @ 11 said it won't be at least Midnight until they find out what may be in the bags. Wow, sucks to be the shoppers in that lot..

TYMSMNY
08-22-2010, 11:12 PM
quicker to have a bomb squad come from Edmonton then Calgary?

Probably a bag of garbage or clothes.

huck
08-22-2010, 11:31 PM
it was so dumb... some guy called rcmp to ask what was going on with the bomb threat and they said it was nothing but they wanted to double check the package just to make sure. left so many of us stranded at the mall. The mall did offer free cab rides home and back the next day to get our cars. My car was in that parking lot so i couldn't leave. I guess it is better safe than sorry.

broken_legs
08-22-2010, 11:43 PM
So every time someone leaves a bag or a package anywhere we're going to shut it down for "safety" ?

What a shitty way to live.

I guess it's, better to live in fear and restriction than take a 1/1,000,000,000,000,000,000 chance that something bad might happen.

:facepalm:

BlackArcher101
08-23-2010, 12:53 AM
I was so so close to parking there to run into starbucks at the last minute. Ended up parking just outside the taped off area.

Really crappy for the people stranded for a long time. Seemed to me it must have been more than dozens of people? There were a lot of cars stuck there.

I made the joke that they must have been waiting for the Edmonton bomb squad, I had no idea that was true. What a farce. Can't believe there was not one other squad available. Maybe City of Calgary wouldn't use theirs since it was RCMP jurisdiction?

Modelexis
08-23-2010, 02:12 AM
I was in the area and managed to snap a picture of the bomb squad on their way down to investigate.

http://www.boston.com/sports/columnists/pierce/clown%20car1.jpg

lellowrx7
08-23-2010, 02:20 AM
^^ lol

kinda cool the mall offered cabs though
that musta cost them a fortune

derpderp
08-23-2010, 05:49 AM
Reminds me of a time I was on the C-Train and someone left a back pack on the train, some guy saw it and wanted to see what was in it, but this other guy in his 20s was like "man don't touch that, stuff like that makes me paranoid, I was in NYC when 9/11 happened it could be a bomb", yet for some reason he just remained on a train that he thought might have a bomb on it. :nut:

Should have sent the police from NYC in to check it out.

speedog
08-23-2010, 07:19 AM
Turned out to be nothing in the end as per the Calgary Herald (http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Bomb+report+CrossIron+Mills+turns+false/3431439/story.html)