PDA

View Full Version : Bow River Flow: Did You Go?

masoncgy
08-23-2010, 11:37 AM
Did anyone show?
See anyone you know?
Anything come of it, other than 'traffic was slow?'

In all seriousness, this event seems to have snuck up on us this year, I never even heard much about it until yesterday when it was already underway.

Surprised it wasn't a current topic on Beyond either.

So... any takers?

Xtrema
08-23-2010, 12:08 PM
http://imgur.com/BnQXv.jpg
http://imgur.com/ncU6x.jpg

Not my pics but not as nice as I have imagined or hyped to be.

iCreep
08-23-2010, 12:16 PM
saw a ton of people carrying these after, while i was driving around looking for parking.

Lex350
08-23-2010, 01:00 PM
-

PremiumRSX
08-23-2010, 01:02 PM
I didn't know about it until I was driving on Memorial in the morning seeing them setting up.

Masked Bandit
08-23-2010, 01:07 PM
What the hell is it?

know1edge
08-23-2010, 02:34 PM
:rofl:

the balls on the river is NOT the bow river flow. that's the "river of lights."

the flow is the pedestrian event where memorial dr is closed off, i guess it was yesterday.

speedog
08-23-2010, 03:03 PM
According to the news, hundreds were at the Bow River Flow. Of course, no official head counts yet, but it did sound like most people attending stayed off of the closed roadway and that the attendance was down from last year.

SilverGS
08-23-2010, 03:28 PM
I too didn't realize it was going on until I hit the road closure. At 10:45am I saw 1 guy on a bike on the road and a father and son walking down the road. The rest of the people were either on the pathway or seemed to be volunteers manning the tents. Almost everyone I saw was just standing around but maybe things hadn't quite started yet.

There seemed to be a couple tents where you could either use or rent bikes to ride.

It could be things hadn't quite started yet and also it wasn't that a great of a day for an event like this but it looked very dead to me. At that time of the morning thought there wasn't too much of a traffic slowdown. I would guess I was only slowed down by a minute or so.

Anyone go by there in the afternoon?

broken_legs
08-23-2010, 03:46 PM
I was running the path from Edworthy and when I came back there was 500 exercise balls on the grass. Later I discovered this was not for a giant boot camp class.

topmade
08-23-2010, 03:53 PM
I read somewhere that Ric McIver was invited to participate in somesort of bike event, but he declined saying something like he didn't want to take part in something that interrupted the flow of traffic haha :clap:

Idratherbsidewayz
08-23-2010, 03:58 PM
I'm pretty stoked this failed. Such an idiotic idea...

psycoticclown
08-23-2010, 04:10 PM
Haha it failed miserably last year. And it was even worse this year... whowouldathunkit? :nut:

SilverGS
08-23-2010, 04:29 PM
We may think it failed but the organizers and of course Druh are calling it a success again. They said they had more people come out this year than last year's 4000. Even Joe Stevensen who opposed the event last year did not object to it this year saying it's only one day a year on a lazy summer sunday so It wasn't that big a deal. At this rate I think this thing is going to stick around for a while.

Nenshi participated in fun bike race against other mayoral candidates at the event so it seems he is for the bow river flow.

Xtrema
08-23-2010, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by know1edge
:rofl:

the balls on the river is NOT the bow river flow. that's the "river of lights."

the flow is the pedestrian event where memorial dr is closed off, i guess it was yesterday.

Shit. Got them mixed up. Yeah, steer clear of the area and the weather sucks anyway.

Idratherbsidewayz
08-23-2010, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by SilverGS
We may think it failed but the organizers and of course Druh are calling it a success again. They said they had more people come out this year than last year's 4000. Even Joe Stevensen who opposed the event last year did not object to it this year saying it's only one day a year on a lazy summer sunday so It wasn't that big a deal. At this rate I think this thing is going to stick around for a while.

Nenshi participated in fun bike race against other mayoral candidates at the event so it seems he is for the bow river flow.

Lol, getting 0.4% of the Calgary population out to the event is a success?

It feels like one of those child parties you're forced to go to because your mom knows the other kid's mom. You go reluctantly, are forced to play a bunch of games you don't want to play, and end up hating it. Druh is a grownup grade school loser who never got her great party and is now ramming it down innocent people's throats.

DayGlow
08-23-2010, 05:24 PM
It would make sense if they started on the path system and the festival grew to the point where the extra space is needed.

Instead they decide for a political statement to close a road and it looks like a failure instead.

Sugarphreak
08-23-2010, 05:28 PM

BrknFngrs
08-23-2010, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by SilverGS
Almost everyone I saw was just standing around but maybe things hadn't quite started yet.

No no, that pretty much sums up the day I think and this is somehow still considered a success by the retards like Druh :facepalm:

ExtremeSi
08-23-2010, 05:45 PM
I went to the river of lights. Thought it would be cooler :dunno:

Half the leds were burnt out or very dim by the time the balls hit the Island.

speedog
08-23-2010, 05:47 PM
Too bad the Herald photographer didn't move a bit to show the two blue "Dump Druh" signs...

http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/3431517.bin?size=620x400

Xtrema
08-23-2010, 05:52 PM
I'm pretty sure editor got a few pics to choose from before deciding on this one.

Agent_Oorange
08-23-2010, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Fixed....

0.4% ;)

Unknown303
08-23-2010, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by ExtremeSi
I went to the river of lights. Thought it would be cooler :dunno:

Half the leds were burnt out or very dim by the time the balls hit the Island.

It was actually pretty cool being past crowchild on memorial there. They were super bright still and pretty interesting to watch. Plus some friends live a block off memorial there so it made it worth hanging out having some drinks and walking over to watch for a bit.