View Full Version : Buying a car. Tips appreciated

Hitman47
08-23-2010, 01:24 PM
So i need tips on the following:

- Used or New? (and why)
- Dealer or Kijiji?
- Type?
- Monthly payment or upfront?

- If you have a specific suggestion (say Civic Sedan 1998 ~3000$ from a dealer), then please say what should I expect from this car on average (how many problems will it give me, how long will it last, etc)

Im looking for something with the best quality/price ratio, and also something that looks cool on the average population who doesnt know much about cars.

Thanks

D911
08-23-2010, 01:27 PM
so you want us to do your research for you?

You havent given enough info for anyone to give you any reccomendations anyways..

Twin_Cam_Turbo
Whats your budget? Do you car about practicality? Do you care about fuel consumption? Do you care about warranty?

88CRX
Originally posted by Hitman47
also something that looks cool on the average population who doesnt know much about cars.

BMW

/thread.

maxomilll
08-23-2010, 01:35 PM
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Lamborghini-Murcielago-/120609934669?pt=US_Cars_Trucks

Here ya go.
Used for the better deal obviously
I'd say pay for that all upfront makes it easyer.
Um for the price you shouldn't get to many problems, I heard one guy got over 150,000km on his.
All wheel drive killer in the winter ;)

Edit*
Oh forgot. It looks really :bigpimp:

Hitman47
08-23-2010, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by D911
so you want us to do your research for you?

You havent given enough info for anyone to give you any reccomendations anyways..

Lol maybe. The thing is I dont know what to look for. I just want a theoretical advice kind of. If you need other info ask : )

Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
Whats your budget? Do you car about practicality? Do you care about fuel consumption? Do you care about warranty?

Thanks for the serious questions. My budget could really go anywhere btw 3-15 grands, or even more if the price/quality is right. However from my experience too expensive things are never price/quality good. (See the lamborghini example). I care very much about economy, so Yes to fuel consumption. Idk about how practicality and warranty would affect my decision (I know that when I buy a computer I dont need a warranty : P). But again Im here to get as much info as I can take

Originally posted by 88CRX

BMW

/thread.

I kind of agree on this one. However I heard they're not Very reliable, a bit expensive and have outrageous fuel consumption. A BMW 3 or 5 Series is one of my fav cars

Originally posted by maxomilll
[B]http://cgi.ebay.ca/Lamborghini-Murcielago-/120609934669?pt=US_Cars_Trucks

You reall think think this is the best price/quality? With my small knowledge of cars I really dont think so. Even if the quality was 100/100. You would need a car which costs $40.000 to be a 10/100 quality to make the same price/quality.

Aleks
08-23-2010, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Hitman47

I kind of agree on this one. However I heard they're not Very reliable, a bit expensive and have outrageous fuel consumption. A BMW 3 or 5 Series is one of my fav cars

You heard right. All german cars are unreliable and use tons of gas even more than some SUVs. They also are boring to drive.

Best bet is to get a Honda Civic/Toyota Corolla especially if you dont know much about cars.

Hitman47
08-27-2010, 10:20 AM
So no more suggestions :/

spike98
08-27-2010, 11:33 AM
Get a prius, they are fuel effiecient and so advanced they drive themselves!

tfong
08-27-2010, 11:52 AM
Since I'm in this category and I've been asking questions last few weeks I will give you the advice I've found!

Used:
Get Inspections done!
Get Carproof!
Never give deposits
Any deal that seems too good to be true...is too good to be true!
I haven't seen any decent car 2003+ below the 5K mark.
Pay attention to KM!

New:
CarCostCanada will save you some money depending what type of car you buy.
3-15k gets you nothing.

Sugarphreak
08-27-2010, 12:39 PM

Nissan_Fanboy
08-27-2010, 05:03 PM
Sounds like someone wants a civic with a body kit.
haha.

If your looking for a new car, i would say take a look at the Gensis Coupe.
Good looking car that looks more expensive than it is to the average person.