PDA

View Full Version : jetta vibration

Chef2010
08-25-2010, 12:53 PM
My 2008 VW Jetta SE automatic with 52,000k miles is having a bad vibration while on the interstate. In March I got new tires and that is when the vibration began. I had rotations, balancing, alignments and nothing would get rid of it. I was told there was cupping in the tires caused by the suspension... I finally decided to get new tires thinking that was the real cause of this vibration... It still vibrates on the new tires, after two times getting balanced, and alignment. On the interstate, the steering wheel shakes, seats vibrate and it is uncomfortable and annoying. Someone told me it was the transmission... While driving on the interstate, during vibration mode I shifted into N... They said if I disengage the Transmission it would stop vibrating, but it did not. So I have eliminated the Trans. It must be in the suspension or a bent rim... because all of this started once I got the first new set of tires. Oh, and when I am going around a curve on the interstate, the vibration stops... but starts up again on the straightaway. Any thoughts would be great.

Kloubek
08-25-2010, 12:56 PM
Wheel bearing?

sillysod
08-25-2010, 01:01 PM
does it come on more when you touch the brakes? or is it pretty much always the same.

Does it change with speed?

Chef2010
08-25-2010, 01:06 PM
It seems to stay about the same at any speed from 55-90mph. The brakes do nothing for the vibration.

mo_money2supe
08-25-2010, 01:11 PM
I'd check the balance of each wheel again and watch for signs of bent rim(s). I have personally been able to balance bent rims before with the balancing machine showing 0s across the board, but one can clearly see that the rims are bent when spun. Perhaps ask to watch the tech as he/she checks the balance on your wheels and keep an eye on the outside edge of each rim to see if they are bent?

SOAB
08-25-2010, 03:44 PM
also, are your rims stock? if not, do you have the correct hub size?

Kennyredline
08-26-2010, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by mo_money2supe
I'd check the balance of each wheel again and watch for signs of bent rim(s). I have personally been able to balance bent rims before with the balancing machine showing 0s across the board, but one can clearly see that the rims are bent when spun. Perhaps ask to watch the tech as he/she checks the balance on your wheels and keep an eye on the outside edge of each rim to see if they are bent?
This sounds like a good idea. I had my tires done, and on the highway there was a vibration, but it went away when cornering, it turned out to be a balancing issue. Your situation may be different, but hopefully it's just balancing, which is cheap to correct.

sillysod
08-27-2010, 08:06 PM
If it doesn't change when you touch the brakes it sounds like a bent rim to me.

SOAB also makes a good point if your wheels are not factory.