PDA

View Full Version : Parking Ticket

dgmartinez
08-25-2010, 03:08 PM
So this may be a duplicate question, but I just got a ticket from Vinci for 42.00 (no big deal, I am going to pay it)

question I have is this.

The ticket is 42.00 dollars, but if after 7 days you do not pay it it doubles to 84.00.

Are they by law allowed to do this, to me that would seem like extortion.

Any answers.

Thanks

2002civic
08-25-2010, 03:21 PM
Yes, even the City does this if IIRC.

dgmartinez
08-25-2010, 03:22 PM
k thanks

dandia89
08-25-2010, 03:41 PM
it's more like the ticket is 84$ but if you pay early you get a discount!

Tomaz
08-25-2010, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by dandia89
it's more like the ticket is 84$ but if you pay early you get a discount!
:rofl:

bubbley
08-25-2010, 03:52 PM
I don't think the city tickets double after 7 days, seems kind of extreme. Personally, I wouldn't pay it at all.

canadiandaytona
08-25-2010, 03:57 PM
Its NOT a ticket its a Notice
they can 'charge' you what ever they like because they are scammers hoping to scare you into paying the ticket right away.

In the history of Imapark/Vinci/standard etc the courts have never upheld there Notice charges...the cases they have taken to court have only ever had to pay for the for the parking rate owed (Max parking fee per day for example)

They cannot effect your credit with this notice.

Feruk
08-25-2010, 04:22 PM
I don't understand why you'd pay. It's not a city issued ticket, so it's not enforceable. It's the equivalent of you parking on my driveway and me writing on a napkin that you owe $42 for unpaid parking on my property. Can I ever claim it? No. Does it go on your record? No. If I were you, I'd just throw it out like most people do.

Zhariak
08-25-2010, 05:09 PM
Excuse me, but being a gentleman if you parked without paying (accidentally or not) wouldn't you pay the ticket since it was your fault...

Even if they couldn't find you/charge you, out of principle wouldn't you just pay?

whiskas
08-25-2010, 07:57 PM
If we're getting into ethics, then ethically I would pay them the amount that it would have cost for me to park there in the first place. But since they ask for a ridiculous sum, all ethics go out the window and they can go fuck themselves.

dgmartinez
08-25-2010, 08:39 PM
Just to clarify the situation.

The place in question is actually a parking lot beside the building I work at and NOT a pay lot, it is down at canyon meadows theatre and as well the lot in question is actually non patrolled at most time.

It is a vinci lot, but there are no pay stations, no signs that say you have to pay, and the one sign they do have states 4 hours max, but it is the norm for everyone to move the cars after 4 hours and not be ticketed. I have talked to the person that goes around and he said so long as I move it every 4 hours it is fine.

So for those of you who think ethically I should pay it I agree, but morally it is shit.

So now I have a dilema, do I pay it or not.

I am leaning towards paying it, but that is only for Karma.

D

FraserB
08-25-2010, 10:58 PM
Is it the big lot by Goodlife Fitness? If so, don't pay. The only reason they ticket there is because so many people use that lot to keep from paying at the LRT station. If they had any legal ground to stand on they would use the CPA to enforce it.

canadiandaytona
08-25-2010, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by whiskas
If we're getting into ethics, then ethically I would pay them the amount that it would have cost for me to park there in the first place. But since they ask for a ridiculous sum, all ethics go out the window and they can go fuck themselves.

Well said.

and thanks to that I now get free parking everywere in the city.

dirtsniffer
08-26-2010, 12:07 AM
haha why would you pay it?
and why dont you know how to search?

Kennyredline
08-26-2010, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by Zhariak
Excuse me, but being a gentleman if you parked without paying (accidentally or not) wouldn't you pay the ticket since it was your fault...

Even if they couldn't find you/charge you, out of principle wouldn't you just pay?
HAHAHA!! You must be new to Beyond!

Feruk
08-26-2010, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by Zhariak

What? Why? These private lots get to ticket you WHATEVER sum they feel like. Why is the ticket $42? It's not because of regulation of any kind, but likely because a math whiz figured out that would be an ideal amount where enough people would pay. What if the ticket said "in punishment: pick up the soap and take it", would you still pay then?

Modelexis
08-26-2010, 09:52 AM
I wouldn't pay it.

flipstah
08-26-2010, 05:28 PM
Quick Q:

Do City of Calgary parking tickets (Over time parked ticket) increase insurance premiums?

Tik-Tok
08-26-2010, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by dgmartinez

So now I have a dilema, do I pay it or not.

If you don't pay it, they can have your vehicle towed off any lot they own. Since you work right there, and probably plan on parking there again in the future, I would pay it.

Originally posted by flipstah
Quick Q:

Do City of Calgary parking tickets (Over time parked ticket) increase insurance premiums?

No

flipstah
08-26-2010, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

No

Thanks! Carry on, good sir :)

Also, parking is always too expensive so that it provides an incentive to use public transportation.

Usually I would if Transit doesn't suck bawlz.

thinmyster
08-26-2010, 05:50 PM
I think your answer is simple: Have Tram Common represent you in court = pay nothing