PDA

View Full Version : Alpine MRD-M1000 Setup - Need Help

CyberSlip
12-23-2003, 09:49 AM
I just bought myself an Alpine MRD-M1000 amp. It's pushing two Kicker 12" L-5 Solo-Baric's (dual 2 Ohm voice coils). I had an MRD-M500 which kicked 'em pretty hard. I traded up because the solobarics can handle so much more.

I'm having trouble getting it tweeked. Thus far, the 500 sounded better and I'm becoming frustrated. I'm quite certain it's because of all of the digital settings that I'm just not familiar with. Right now, it's not hitting near as hard as it should, and the woofers are popping (they never did that with the 500), and I'm very afraid that I'll blow a voice coil before I get this thing set up properly.

Is there anyone familiar with this amp that can help me with the settings ?

Zero102
12-24-2003, 02:52 AM
I am familliar with the MRD-M500, and from what I understand, the controls are exactly the same. If they are popping, try turning down your crossover frequency. The other thing is to lower the center frequency on the parametric eq, try it with bass compensation both on and off.

My best advice is to set the M1000 the same as the M500, then try increasing the level of the parametric EQ, dropping the crossover frequency, and increasing the input sensitivity.

CyberSlip
12-27-2003, 09:06 AM
Well, I've made some adjustments and it is a little better. The subs are still popping, although not near as bad. Still afraid I'm gonna blow 'em. Here are the current settings on the amp. Can someone take a look and make some suggestions, 'cause I'm pretty much clueless when it comes to all of these frequencies and settings.

Input Select: 2ch
Input Level: -2
Input Gain: 0db

Low Pass Filter: On
Low Pass Filter Frequency: 85Hz

Subsonic Filter: On
Subsonic Filter Frequency: 30Hz

Parametric EQ: On
Parametric EQ Frequency: 50Hz
Parametric EQ Width: .5
Parametric EQ Level: 10db

Bass Compensation: On
Bass Compensation Mode: Comp1

I'm not using the Time Correction or the Phase. Thanks Guys.

Zero102
12-28-2003, 11:52 PM
Alrighty, the time correction and the phase will not matter unless you are running multi-amp setups.
The input level should be alright, if they are popping then it's not the problem.
the LPF sounds a little high. I would set it around 65 or 70Hz, the high-end sound combined with the low end usually causes popping.
The subsonic filter, sounds a little high, but it will not cause the popping.
The parametric eq setting may be contributing, try lowering it 5 or 10Hz.

Bass compensation will not hurt it. Mine does not have a bass compensaiton mode, so I cannot help you there.
Unless it shifts the frequencies up, it is not the problem.

There's my 2 cents, hope I helped a little.

Mckenzie
12-29-2003, 11:51 AM
I agree on the comment about the LPF. Try lowering that.

Also, I think your input gain might be a bit high.

I am not sure what the incriments are in the M1000 but maybe try -6db and adjust your sub level on your deck.

As for the other adjustments, I found with my M300 that some of these adjustments actually made the amp output higher.

I would start with everything off and/or down to zero. Then adjust each setting individually in marginal incriments, instead of everything all at once.

Maybe with twice the power, all you need is a gain setting and a crossover setting without all of the other digital stuff they throw in there.

Good Luck!:)

Zero102
12-30-2003, 12:24 AM
It's possible that every time you turn up the volume on the deck, the input sensitivity is high enough that it causes your amp to raise the power in big enough steps that you go from a decent volume to popping in a single step, missing the part when it is loud, but still clean.
Try reducing it by 4 or 5 dB, it's definately worth a shot.

Daddymax
12-31-2003, 04:44 PM
soduns like those subs can't handles as much power as you thought.

Zero102
01-01-2004, 02:08 AM
If they don't pound as hard as before, then it's a setup issue.