PDA

View Full Version : Tire replacment - what would you do?

Axe
08-26-2010, 01:38 PM
Scenario - and thanks in advance for any input.

Have to replace OEM tires on my Highlander and considering two options and have to take into account the factory TPMS system. I am not considering getting an additional set of rims, just the tires:

1. Nokian WR GC SUV tires - Cost per tire including install = $412 - Total cost: $1648 (kal tire prices)
Pro:
Install once and leave on with expected lfetime of 4 years.
Have snowflake sysmbol on them and better performance in snow than an all season tire.
Con:
Compromise vs a direct winter or all season tire
Cost to replace 2 if I get a non-repairable flat

2. Buy a seperate set of all seasons and dedicated winter tires. Cost is about $200 per tire (Costco prices). Total cost for 8 tires = $1,600.
Pro:
- Tires better suited to seasonal driving and temperatures
- longer lifetime expectancy becuase i'm switching out tires (expect winters to last 4 seasons and all seasons to last 5-6 seasons).
- Same cost for tires initially without the compromise in performance.

Cons:
- Will cost about $400 per year ($200 each time), I have to switch out the tires (Spring and Winter) and taking into account cost of parts for TPMS system each time (was told this could be $25 per wheel).
- Factory wheels will get scratched with tire replacement happening 2x per year

What would you do? And i'm open to options I may not have thought of...

Aaron@Tuner
08-26-2010, 01:46 PM
Hey,

Give us a shout for a set of dedicated winter wheels/tires with TPMS. We price fairly aggressively and have quite a few options depending on what year of Highlander you have!

Tarrantula
08-26-2010, 01:59 PM
Why dont you NOT buy right from a dealer? Do you buy everything new? You are paying for it.

Kijiji man. I got 4 tires for 120$. 255/55R18's with 95% tread on them.... seriously dont waste your money going to a shop thats going to fuck you regardless.

syeve
08-26-2010, 02:09 PM
Call tirebob...he will set you up.

Euro838
08-26-2010, 02:18 PM
You may want to confirm this with Toyota but from my understanding of the Toyota TPMS system, they do not have 2 sets of settings for your TPMS system. This means that everytime you swap over rims and tires, you have to take it to them to calibrate it with the car. I'm not sure the cost of this but it may not be free.

This is assuming you have already purchased a separate set of TPMS for each set of rims. You could not calibrate the system and live with the warning light on all winter or summer.

I personally believe you will get better performance and value with having 2 sets of rims and tires in Calgary. Yes, buying used is also an option. Either way, option 2.

Axe
08-26-2010, 03:14 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions and contact info so far. I will get in touch with those people that posted their contact info.

MGCM
08-27-2010, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by Euro838
You may want to confirm this with Toyota but from my understanding of the Toyota TPMS system, they do not have 2 sets of settings for your TPMS system. This means that everytime you swap over rims and tires, you have to take it to them to calibrate it with the car. I'm not sure the cost of this but it may not be free.

This is assuming you have already purchased a separate set of TPMS for each set of rims. You could not calibrate the system and live with the warning light on all winter or summer.

I personally believe you will get better performance and value with having 2 sets of rims and tires in Calgary. Yes, buying used is also an option. Either way, option 2.

Most TPMS systems have a way for them to be recalibrate without the special tool. In a Cobalt the TPMS system can be reset but pressing the right buttons to initiate the reset procedure and then letting air out of each tire until the system registers it. All in all the process would take about 5-10 mins if you DIY or literally 2 minutes at the dealership with their special tool. Honestly, to reset the TPMS they shouldn't even need to take it into the shop, the service adviser should be capable of performing this action for free tho I'm sure they will want to charge for a 1/2 of labor.

forced_eg
08-27-2010, 09:02 AM
try goodyear fortera tripletreds, they have the snowflake sign too, and probably alot cheaper that kal tire

Sugarphreak
08-27-2010, 09:11 AM

Axe
08-27-2010, 10:21 AM
Thansk for the suggestions. I have put in a call to Tunerworks and Tirebob as well.

Axel

HRD2PLZ
08-27-2010, 10:27 AM
Toyota's TPMS has a reset button, usually at the bottom of the dashboard.

For my RX, I have a set of all seasons and a set of dedicated winters mounted on their own rims. Next time around, I'll probably just swap all season and winter rubber on the factory rims.

On my ML, I have the Goodyear Forterra Tripletread, its an awesome handling tire, even in winter. This may not be available for your Highlander though, depending on its year.

Axe
08-28-2010, 07:17 PM
The Highlander does have a reset button at the base of the dash on the drivers side. I looked at the Goodyears (thank you for the suggestions), but unfortunately they do not even make them in 19" sizes.

01RedDX
08-28-2010, 09:17 PM

BokCh0y
08-29-2010, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by Euro838

THIS.

Originally posted by HRD2PLZ
Toyota's TPMS has a reset button, usually at the bottom of the dashboard.

For my RX, I have a set of all seasons and a set of dedicated winters mounted on their own rims. Next time around, I'll probably just swap all season and winter rubber on the factory rims.

On my ML, I have the Goodyear Forterra Tripletread, its an awesome handling tire, even in winter. This may not be available for your Highlander though, depending on its year.

THIS TOO.

I have 2 sets of rims for my RX, this is the easiest path to go imho. Changing out tires every season change is a lot of work, money and time over the course of x years.

I've always run two sets of rims for each of my cars/suv's.

What year is your Highlander? I know the Lexus RX < 2006, the tpms is different. There aren't sensors in the tires. I think it's done by height calculation or something like that. That's what I was told my Lexus service. My RX is 06 and when I picked up my 2nd set of rims, I didn't have to purchase a 2nd set of tpms sensors. I just mounted new rubber on them, mounted and balanced then pressed the button under my dash to reset/recalibrate.

The 07+ vehicles have the tpms sensors mounted int he rims, so you may need to have Toyota do their thing with it. But you can also pick up a set via ebay for cheap. That was one of my options before i found out my RX doesn't ahve the TPMS sensors.

Anyways I honestly think a second set of rims is the way to go. If you're considering two sets of tires per option 2, why not go with a 2nd set of rims to make it easier? Look on kijiji in cal and edm for highlander rims. I saw a set of 18" rx 400h hybrid rims on there for 600 a few months ago.

Just me 2 cents.