PDA

View Full Version : Would you import an Evo X from the states?

yellowsnow
08-27-2010, 07:23 AM
Doing some research on cars to buy, and discovered Mitsubishi Canada won't honour cars imported from the states.

However, just checking cars.com and autotrader, the price difference for a used EVO X GSR is over $10k (even after duty/taxes/etc).

Has anyone looked into this any further?

03ozwhip
08-27-2010, 07:43 AM
i looked into it and so far the only downfall is that there isnt any warranty. everything else would lead me to do it, but you can also buy an aftermarket warranty from mitsu for i think about 2k, so youre still saving a shit load of cash..

toastgremlin
08-27-2010, 09:21 AM
Has anyone tried to buy an aftermarket warranty on a US car? I'd phone ahead and make sure that they'd be willing to sell you one before you buy the car.

1barA4
08-27-2010, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip
i looked into it and so far the only downfall is that there isnt any warranty. everything else would lead me to do it, but you can also buy an aftermarket warranty from mitsu for i think about 2k, so youre still saving a shit load of cash..

Plus, if you're going to mod it, your warranty's out the window anyways, and they (dealerships) cannot deny recall work. Pocket the cash for parts or potential repairs and call it a day.

X_EVO_X
08-27-2010, 10:03 AM
Okay here is just a reference to compare the two purchases.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/313020/fs-2008-evo-gsr-octance-blue/

This evo I have on my used lot and was purchased at Platinum , got all of the protection packages available, including the Venture shield on the fog lights, front bumper and hood ( carries a life time gurantee ) this car has a Exedy twin plate clutch , magna flow car back exhaust, 2010 Ralli art tail lights, ralliart shift knob , evo chrome door sills,tint, and of course is canadian there fore carries a warranty for the remaining 73000 kms for powertrain. No accidents, car proof car fax provided as well as free oil changes. Were are asking 36,900 which as all things are , is negotiable ( ask 03ozwhip , I am definatly not a hard guy to negotiate, tell me what you want and ill try and make it happen. )

Now , for a U.S evo , it will need a Out of province / out of country inspection for around 200-300 dollars. Day time running lights will have need to have been installed before this. Because the evo was not produced in US there will be a 6.1% duty import tax on top of the cash price that you pay down there, as well as covering our GST up front. Then you need to worry about securing the vehicle shipping as well as taking time off / away from work to go pick up the car and inspect it your self to make sure it is what you were told it was! The above mentioned price of 2k for an after market warranty would cover 2 year BASIC powertrain. A 4 year comprehensive that covers AWD systems, factory turbos , all electrical, is more like 3500$.

So there is some food for thought when comparing the two options.

-Tristan

BrknFngrs
08-27-2010, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by X_EVO_X
The above mentioned price of 2k for an after market warranty would cover 2 year BASIC powertrain. A 4 year comprehensive that covers AWD systems, factory turbos , all electrical, is more like 3500$.

Is this correct? I'm really surprised that the powertrain warranty doesn't cover potential issues with the AWD system or the turbo; other electrical problems seems fairly reasonable to be excluded

X_EVO_X
08-27-2010, 10:24 AM
Some potential AWD issues would be covered Im sure, I am just generalizing so he can make an educated choice. Just wanted to make it clear that at 2k , the after market warranty is nothing like the factory warranty.

heavyD
08-27-2010, 10:48 AM
I'm pretty sure that US EVO X's come standard with daytime running lights.

There are savings but you have to do the math carefully and weigh the pros and cons. IMO it's not worth the hassle unless the US car turns out significantly cheaper after all the nickel & dime charges for importing and keep in mind resale value will be lower if you decide to sell it as it won't have a warranty.

3drian
08-27-2010, 11:08 AM
nice thread I was actually thinking about doing this, I currently own an 2008 lancer gts and im always jelous of evos, I thought about doing this last year but decided to go back to school, maybe I will do it as soon as Im done... but I do think its worthy if you have the spare time to do it

X_EVO_X
08-27-2010, 11:32 AM
Service manager was saying he has to do DRL's on evo X's out of the staes, and you are right about the lower resale value. It usualy scares private buyers when they hear the car is form the u.s. But still , like you said you have to carefully weigh the options against each other instead of just assuming it will be cheaper. Depending on the car it may or may not be.

yellowsnow
08-28-2010, 04:04 AM
Yeah, i'm carefully weighing the options and appreciate the feedback. I've imported a 350z before from the states, paid the 6.1% duty, had it inspected, oop, etc... and it really isn't that much of a hassle. I bought it in kansas city, ended up driving up to see Mount Rushmore on the way home. It was a really nice drive, and I'd do it again for sure just for the experience.

The only thing stopping me is the warranty issue. $3.5k for an aftermarket warranty that covers everything isn't too bad. Will have to factor that into the cost as well.

Right now, I see very low mileage EVO X GSRs going for a bit under $25k USD.

So 25k USD = ~ $26,500 CAD
+6.1% duty
+5% GST
+$100 A/C tax
+$210 RIV fee
+~$500 airfare
+~$200 gas
+ $500 other stuff (oop, drl, registration)

So it'll cost roughly $31k CAD after everything....

then add the warranty of $3.5k

$34,500...

might not be worth it i suppose unless you ditch the warranty which I'm not willing to do.

4doorj
08-28-2010, 10:35 PM
Here's a thread I found in the evo forums. I know its for brand new but thought it might help a little.
http://forums.evolutionm.net/canadian-forum/507228-cost-comparison-buying-us-canada.html

To me it seems worth it to shop for one locally. Try and find a good deal.
That one at platinum looks pretty good. I'm sure you can get a really good deal on that. I would try to make an offer on that.
Octane Blue :drool:
Plus the service that I get a platinum is awesome!
And normally I would never say that about a dealership.

clem24
08-30-2010, 09:48 AM
It's true - car prices are coming down in Canada and used car prices are going UP in the States, with maybe a few exceptions (i.e. a 2008 5 series still has a $10k price gap). The big difference though is that there is a much wider selection of (low mileage) cars in the US vs. Canada. And when buying new, I did find that with the recent "employee pricing sale" at Ford, it's actually cheaper in Canada than the US, believe it or not. And especially with cars built outside North America, I think the 6.1% really kills the deal. However, I do really like the driving up part. It's fun buying a car from gawd knows where and driving it back.

And to Tristan, I know you're trying to make a sale and you have many valid points, but you will never win the GST "up front" argument because whomever is buying from the US is already paying in cash anyway, and GST on a car that costs less = less GST no matter how you look at it. To save some GST, I'll happily charge it to my credit card and also get some points in the process.

X_EVO_X
08-30-2010, 03:59 PM
Thanks for the comments 4door j, our evo 9 just sold on saturday but that blue one is still here. Clem, I dont think once Ive said "come buy this evo" just trying to add a different perspective to this conversaition. I wasnt trying to have an "up front" gst argument, thank you though. Good luck with the purchase.

heavyD
08-31-2010, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by 4doorj
I would try to make an offer on that.
Octane Blue :drool:

If I could go back again I would go with Octane Blue. It looks beautiful with black wheels. Ryan Gates has probably made that color a lot more popular than it would be. His new scheme;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v332/blacktrack/OB%20X%20GSR/LVMS_2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v332/blacktrack/OB%20X%20GSR/LVMS_4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v332/blacktrack/OB%20X%20GSR/LVMS_11.jpg