PDA

View Full Version : Need expert advice!!!! My truck won't run!!!!

Finite
12-23-2003, 12:49 PM
I own a 92 ford ranger

I was getting off the freeway the other night and my truck shut off, along with my power steering and my power brakes. I maneuvered in to a parking lot to only find out that my truck would not re-start.

My battery is fine
My starter is fine
I think my cilinoid is fine

Does anyone know what might be preventing my truck from starting? And why did it make my power brakes and steering go out too? And how can I fix it?

Thank you VERY much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeff Corbin

rage2
12-23-2003, 12:50 PM
Power steering and power brakes are hydraulic assisted, which is run off the motor. When the motor stops, you lose power steering and power brakes.

Are any electrical accessories working?

Finite
12-23-2003, 12:53 PM
my radio, lights and windshield wipers all still work. Plus my clock never re-set.

rage2
12-23-2003, 12:56 PM
Does your starter crank?

Finite
12-23-2003, 01:00 PM
yes. It doesn't turn over.

Finite
12-23-2003, 01:09 PM
Somebody mentioned to me that it might be the carburetor, but that was without looking at my truck.

sputnik
12-23-2003, 01:16 PM
perhaps a visit to the fuse box is in order

Finite
12-23-2003, 01:18 PM
Which fuses should I check?

sputnik
12-23-2003, 01:22 PM
the fuses are generally all together on one panel so checking all of them shouldnt be hard... and its probably best to check them all just to make sure more than one arent fried

Finite
12-23-2003, 01:23 PM
Thank you!!

ramminghard
12-23-2003, 01:33 PM
Did your truck overheat?

Check fuses.

turn the key to on but with the truck off to try and hear the fuel pump. Pretty sure that your truck is injected which means no carb.

My guess if the fuses are fine is that the fuel pump has quit.

Finite
12-23-2003, 04:38 PM
When I turn the key to the on position I hear a very faint sound for about 3 seconds. Is that the fuel pump?

I checked my fuses and they are all fine.

And my truck wasn't hot when it broke down.

Thank you!!

ramminghard
12-23-2003, 06:21 PM
possibly. an engine only needs two things to run, fuel and spark. If you have those then your engine should run. Did it make any sounds before. Like a ticking or pinging sound. check your distributor and plugs and wires. if that all checks out then move to the fuel system. check the pump and lines. Make sure there is gas in the tank.

While doing this replace things like plugs and fuel filter and such if they haven't been done in a while.

Did the truck do anything before is shut off? Did it just stall out or make noises before it shut off?

rage2
12-23-2003, 10:41 PM
hehe ok so it cranks, but it doesn't turn over. Which means there's no fuel, or no air :).

Fuses for fuel pump gas been covered. Now check timing belt. If your timing belt broke (and it's a non interference engine), you'll get this symptom.

Weapon_R
12-23-2003, 11:17 PM
Sounds like a timing belt problem - stopping in the middle of a drive, without prior warning, and failure to start again all point to the timing belt.

Finite
12-24-2003, 10:33 AM
My timing belt is ok, and one of the first things I did was put more gas in my truck. After that I tryed to bump start my truck. Nothing worked.

I have been hearing a strange sound the past few weeks.

While driving, There has been a light ccccccccccc type sound once I get past 2.5 RPMs on every gear. Once I shift it goes away and then starts back up once I'm back to 2.5. It wasn't every loud. I was only really able to hear it with my window down.

THREE40SEVEN
12-24-2003, 01:04 PM
Clean your battery terminals. I've fixed a dozen or so of no start cars at the shop because of bad contacts.
Humor me and just do it.

ramminghard
12-24-2003, 01:51 PM
check your oil. Make sure there is some in there and check the inside of the filler cap for any metal shavings.

cubed
12-29-2003, 11:11 AM
Have you checked the spark. Not timing belt, not fuel, hmmm pretty good mystery. Distributor maybe, coil???

EK 2.0
12-29-2003, 11:18 AM
The Ford Ignition modules are notorious for just up and quitting...remove that from your Dist, and tak it into a Auto Parts Store they should be able to test that out for you...

T5_X
12-29-2003, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Finite
Somebody mentioned to me that it might be the carburetor, but that was without looking at my truck.

If you have a 92 ranger it does not have a carb, they were all efi long before that.

And if you have a V6 (3 or 4L) then you do not have a timing belt, cam is run off a timing chain, which almost never breaks.

banmenow!!!
12-29-2003, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by Finite
yes. It doesn't turn over.

I don't get it, The starter cranks but it doesn't turn over? sounds like we have a misunderstanding.

illeagle
12-29-2003, 11:24 PM
Fuel pump?:dunno:

Weapon_R
12-30-2003, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by banmenow!!!

I don't get it, The starter cranks but it doesn't turn over? sounds like we have a misunderstanding.

I think he means that the engine turns over but does not start.

EstoMax
12-30-2003, 03:17 AM
hey it could also be that air isnt getting into the engine.. its wierd but it happened to my friends 94 sentra..
he was driving down the freeway and saw a styrofoam box fall of a truck in front of him and blow up on the freeway.. he got home and the next morning he went to start the car and it wouldnt start... so he called me up and i went there and for some reason checked the intake and saw the big piece of styrofoam in there.. took that out and blam it started.. just something to keep in mind :)

max