PDA

View Full Version : Wildrose Alliance

derpderp
08-28-2010, 07:13 AM

hampstor
08-28-2010, 08:38 AM
I actually still find them fairly libertarian. Not that there's anything wrong with it, but there are definately quite a few social conservative views.

Keep in mind that unlike the PC party, the WAP's direction is a direct result of it's members as a whole. Being a grassroots party, the policies that are currently there were created by members and voted by other members before they became policy.

Xtrema
08-28-2010, 08:59 AM
WAP is the life raft of the PC failboat who hit an iceberg and sinking.

I will vote for WAP to teach PC a lesson for sending a 3rd place finisher as our Premier.

masoncgy
08-28-2010, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by hampstor
I actually still find them fairly libertarian. Not that there's anything wrong with it, but there are definately quite a few social conservative views.

Originally posted by Xtrema
I will vote for WAP to teach PC a lesson for sending a 3rd place finisher as our Premier.

This & This.

I'll be a resident of BC long before I get a chance to vote in the next Alberta election... but if I could, I would gladly vote for the WRA.

Danielle Smith seems to have a head on her shoulders too. She shouldn't be taken lightly.

ZenOps
08-28-2010, 12:44 PM
Smart girl, but I don't see enough of a difference between Wildrose and PC to actually be worthy of creating a completely different party.

There is no consensus as is right now in Canada, three way tie for a minority government would probably be even more fractured under a four way tie.

If the NDP and Libs did what Britain did, and formed up together that would probably be more along the lines of what I would be thinking.

Regardless - Canada seems to be running fine with an absent impotent legislature. Many Brits would love it if their government was hung (hung in the good way, not the bad way :)

dirtsniffer
08-28-2010, 12:58 PM
^^ lol, did I miss something, we're supposed to be on the topic of alberta right?

ZenOps
08-28-2010, 01:19 PM
Wildrose would probably start out as mostly Alberta, with some support in Sask.

Although it would definitely break apart the PC party, making it much weaker against the Liberals in general.

Divide and conquer?

BTW: The name "WildRose" is in itself - racist (or at least segregist) .. Imagine if there was a new party in Canada named "Fleur de lis". Noone in Alberta would vote for them.

The lone star state of course also being segragist, seperated as a single star off the 50-state star flag. Kinda like China, lol.

dirtsniffer
08-28-2010, 01:47 PM
did you get no sleep last night or what?

ZenOps
08-28-2010, 02:27 PM
I don't understand?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canadavotes/map/2008/fullscreen.html#

Wildrose seems to be setup in such a way as to never gain majority control, much like the Bloq Quebecois. A "Bloq" is afterall not there to anything other than block, lol.

Conservatives only represent 37% of the vote. Split that in half with a new Wildrose alliance and Canada will probably never have a majority government ever again.

Actually it would be more like a five way tie, with about 50 seats to the Cons, Libs, NDP, Bloq, and Wildrose.

Conspiracy?

Wildrose Alberta - is a federal party, not a provincial one. What a silly name...

Edit: That one NDP seat in Alberta is quite glaring. It used to be Rahim Jaffers, you know, the muslim black cocaine huffer MP, lol.

Smokem
08-28-2010, 03:43 PM
:rofl: at dirtsniffer's comments

ZenOps, Wildrose Alliance is an Alberta provincial political party.

Wildrose Alliance Party of Alberta (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wildrose_Alliance_Party_of_Alberta)

Just because Rob Anders isn't involved doesn't mean there is a conspiracy. Thank you for inadvertently going off-topic. Merry Christmas, please drink repsonsibly.

fBiEcVYV4XQ

CUG
08-28-2010, 03:46 PM
Fuck ZenOps, you're the crazy elderly relative that I never had.

hampstor
08-29-2010, 12:52 AM
I actually created a thread recently about the WAP that I removed pending my discussion with the Constituency Association and the party executive - I'm seeking a nomination in a riding in Calgary. I also sit on the board for Calgary Foothills.
I may not be politically savvy like others in the party, however I like to stick with some of what my ideals for an MLA should be:

- Do what makes sense. If it doesn't make sense, why do it?
- For all actions, what needs to be considered is: WHAT do I want to do? HOW am I going to do it? WHO am I doing it for? Most importantly, WHY am I doing this?

I FIRMLY believe that the WAP has Albertans in their best interests.

ZenOps, here is something I know you will like about the WAP. RECALL. The ability for constituents in a riding to RECALL their MLA and replace him. Now only if this did this federaly eh!

They also offer free votes for all MLAs. No longer do MLAs have to vote along their party lines - or be penalized for questioning the party. The PC party does NOT believe this. Look at Guy Boutilier as an example - when he questioned why delays to health facilities were taking so long, the party kicked him out!

I get angry just thinking about this. They kicked him out for doing his job by sticking up for his constituents. What kind of Government does that?!

I could go on and on about things that make me excited about the party... but I will leave that for another time :)

derpderp
08-29-2010, 02:38 AM

Smokem
08-29-2010, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by hampstor
I actually created a thread recently about the WAP that I removed pending my discussion with the Constituency Association and the party executive - I'm seeking a nomination in a riding in Calgary. I also sit on the board for Calgary Foothills.
I may not be politically savvy like others in the party, however I like to stick with some of what my ideals for an MLA should be:

- Do what makes sense. If it doesn't make sense, why do it?
- For all actions, what needs to be considered is: WHAT do I want to do? HOW am I going to do it? WHO am I doing it for? Most importantly, WHY am I doing this?

I FIRMLY believe that the WAP has Albertans in their best interests.

Good on you. It's amazing what kind of support they are getting as a party. Never have I felt such disappointment with a government in power as I do with the Conservatives. There will be a very very strong message delivered next election and if I were Stelmach I would be shitting bricks.

ZenOps
08-29-2010, 09:34 AM
Hey, if you ask me, they could have easily called Wildrose Alberta "Alberta Block party". I think someone finally caught on that they had better change the name to "Alliance" fast - or they would forever be known as a "bloQ" and never a majority party.

It doesn't really matter anyhow. The Green party can get 6.8% of the popular vote and have no representatives, the Bloq can have less than 10% and still get 49 seats.

If you ask most political professors, they will probably say that canada is in a failed democracy as is right now. If you want to go extreme, you can say that Harpers actions of running to the Monarchy are undemocratic, which in my book it is.

So who cares whos elected if they are all just going to run to the Queen everytime they have a hint of losing a already weak minority govt?

MLAs are a little better, but not much. Federal is completely fucked, pardon my French.

abyss
08-29-2010, 02:37 PM
ZenOps, you're a nutbar.

Add me to the list of people who are incredibly excited to see what the WAP can do for Alberta. (which is part of the reason why I'm so supportive of Hampstor doing this.) I've been saying for too long "It doesn't even matter, there's no point in voting because we only get a choice of bad or bad." No third place finisher should EVER become the leader of a province, that was so infuriating I can't even begin to describe it, it really was the one thing that pushed me over the edge of not caring anymore.

For once in my entire voting life (10 years) I feel like there's finally a potentially viable option for a government that will actively listen to the concerns of the people they govern.

The WAP is our best shot right now at an honest, accountable conservative government in Alberta and I think we'd be fools to ignore the opportunity. I'm excited to help send the PC's a strong message about how disappointed we are in the way they've governed Alberta.

Melinda
08-29-2010, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by abyss
ZenOps, you're a nutbar.

Add me to the list of people who are incredibly excited to see what the WAP can do for Alberta. (which is part of the reason why I'm so supportive of Hampstor doing this.) I've been saying for too long "It doesn't even matter, there's no point in voting because we only get a choice of bad or bad." No third place finisher should EVER become the leader of a province, that was so infuriating I can't even begin to describe it, it really was the one thing that pushed me over the edge of not caring anymore.

For once in my entire voting life (10 years) I feel like there's finally a potentially viable option for a government that will actively listen to the concerns of the people they govern.

The WAP is our best shot right now at an honest, accountable conservative government in Alberta and I think we'd be fools to ignore the opportunity. I'm excited to help send the PC's a strong message about how disappointed we are in the way they've governed Alberta.
This.

PS: Hampstor next time I see you I'll purchase my WAP membership from you. I cant help you in your riding, but I will support the party as a member for sure

Nusc
08-30-2010, 05:13 PM
You guys don't appreciate public health care?

derpderp
08-30-2010, 05:20 PM

revelations
08-30-2010, 07:02 PM
T5P5OxlP6KY

kertejud2
08-30-2010, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by abyss
No third place finisher should EVER become the leader of a province, that was so infuriating I can't even begin to describe it, it really was the one thing that pushed me over the edge of not caring anymore.

So did you vote for Dinning or Morton? But most importantly, who did you put as your SECOND choice?

hampstor
08-30-2010, 11:42 PM
heh i was out doorknocking tonight. Which beyonder did I run into!! I asked if he heard of the WAP and he said he found out about the WAP from THIS thread. :)

D. Dub
08-31-2010, 08:53 AM
As a moderate, the WRA makes me happy -- anything that splits the conservative vote is a good thing.

NuclearPizzaMan
08-31-2010, 10:07 AM
After her stellar performance with the Calgary Board of Education, Danielle Smith deserves to be the leader of the province.

revelations
08-31-2010, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by NuclearPizzaMan
After her stellar performance with the Calgary Board of Education, Danielle Smith deserves to be the leader of the province.

Care to elaborate?

abyss
09-02-2010, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by kertejud2

So did you vote for Dinning or Morton? But most importantly, who did you put as your SECOND choice?

Dinning, obviously.

Morton was my second choice. I knew going into the election what would happen (as did most people) I figured I'd be one less vote for Eddy on principle.

dirtsniffer
12-13-2010, 02:21 AM
hey hampstor how did things work out?
what does beyond think the chances are of wap getting 20 seats in the next election?

haha edit.. according to
http://www.electionalmanac.com/canada/alberta/
the pc party will be the ones lucky enough to get 20 seats:thumbsup:

hampstor
12-13-2010, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
hey hampstor how did things work out?
what does beyond think the chances are of wap getting 20 seats in the next election?

haha edit.. according to
http://www.electionalmanac.com/canada/alberta/
the pc party will be the ones lucky enough to get 20 seats:thumbsup:

Thanks for asking - I didn't win the nomination, but I felt the experience and the people I connected with in the riding was amazing. I met so many amazing people who volunteered many hours with door knocking and organizing a nomination campaign in support of me. Many of these people have offered to help me again in the future should I choose to pursue a political future.

I also met a few people who were all smiles that I know would stab me in the back given the opportunity.

IMHO the WAP will not be positioning themselves as a niche opposition party going into the next election. Rather, the WAP will position themsleves as a party ready to govern the province.

To me the indicators that differentiate the WAP from the other opposition parties are:

- Number of active constituency associations
- Active nomination processes
- Number of members
- "Big tent" policies and core values
- Providing potential solutions rather than just criticism to PC Alberta

Some challenges I think the party is going to have are moving into the next election are being the 'party from Calgary' and extremist perception that people have.

Feruk
12-13-2010, 12:42 PM
I don't think Stelmach has done anything good since coming to power, so I won't be voting for him.

Questions about the Wild Rose though: What do they plan to do to clean up health care in the province? Are they socially conservative or more liberal leaning? I was pretty disgusted when I found out the PCs passed a bill allowing parents to take their kids out of classes when evolution was being discussed.

hampstor
12-13-2010, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Feruk
I don't think Stelmach has done anything good since coming to power, so I won't be voting for him.

Questions about the Wild Rose though: What do they plan to do to clean up health care in the province? Are they socially conservative or more liberal leaning? I was pretty disgusted when I found out the PCs passed a bill allowing parents to take their kids out of classes when evolution was being discussed.

I'm at work so I can't really spend too much time on my view on what the party policy is on healthcare. If you have a few minutes watch check out thesevideos on what the party believes can be done to improve healthcare:

http://www.wildrosealliance.ca/policy/health-care/

Will try and get back later to provide a coles notes on the videos.

Supa Dexta
12-13-2010, 01:32 PM
I never hear anything of stelmach.. As far as I can tell there isn't actually anything going on gov't related in this province?

ZenOps
12-13-2010, 05:48 PM
When you head into a political situation, you don't necessarily need to always watch for backstabbers. It becomes tiring and energy consuming. Just bring someone who is more likely to be a stabbing magnet or a stabber, like Rob Anders.

Its like bringing a glazed ham to a Weight Watchers meeting. There are always people who just can't resist plunging in. Politicians love ham, even when they know they aren't supposed to have it.

Then its just a matter of noting whos eating.

CUG
12-14-2010, 02:42 AM
I back WRA, they're middle of the road, as am I. I'm pushing for a bit more autonomy from the Feds too, and I think they're at least looking for some control of region-specific issues.

Stelmach, I can't believe what's happened to this province since he's been in office. I highly doubt that Klein just knew what time to get out. I believe the demise of alberta is largely causal; see Royalty Review.

kertejud2
12-14-2010, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by CUG
I back WRA, they're middle of the road, as am I. I'm pushing for a bit more autonomy from the Feds too, and I think they're at least looking for some control of region-specific issues.

Middle of the road is an odd term, if only because the same loons who pushed the PCs to have opt-out evolution are the same ones who are switching to the WRA because Stelmach isn't tough enough on social issues. These would be the same people who would have voted en-masse with Stelmach as their second choice behind Morton to ensure that 'middle of the road' Jim Dinning wouldn't become PC leader.

The MLAs themselves might not care about a lot of the social issues, but as the CPC and Klein's PCs knew, the only people who make a fuss are the same ones who can determine the outcomes of the votes that matter (i.e. PC leadership). Why do you think Klein was so adamant about convincing right-wing Christian warrior Stockwell Day to go into federal politics?

Stelmach, I can't believe what's happened to this province since he's been in office. I highly doubt that Klein just knew what time to get out. I believe the demise of alberta is largely causal; see Royalty Review.

Klein didn't know when to get out. He got out 4 years too late, after he realized he didn't know what to do with the boom. If Klein knew when to get out he would have left at the peak of his popularity like Danny Williams just did, not when people were becoming apathetic.

hampstor
12-14-2010, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by CUG

IMHO PC Alberta under Klein was successful beacuse they had a goal and vision: eliminate the debt, build up the heritage fund. Unfortunately when they achieved their goal, they didn't have a plan to follow up. Alberta had lots of money and instead of planning ahead with a new vision, they settled on status quo and throwing money around.

As a voter, I stopped supporting PC Alberta because quite frankly, I had no idea what Stelmach's (and PC Alberta's) vision for Alberta was.

As a former card carrying member, I stopped supporting PC Alberta because of their top-down view of Government with both the public and within the party. The party executive and ministers dictated the direction of the party and not it's members as a whole. This was how it was a few years ago - it may have changed since then; I wouldn't know since I didn't attend this years AGM. A lot of members quit because of that.

CUG
12-14-2010, 11:07 AM

Why do you think Klein was so adamant about convincing right-wing Christian warrior Stockwell Day to go into federal politics?
[/B] Because the Lord our God willed it, son. Why else?

kertejud2
12-14-2010, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by CUG
Because the Lord our God willed it, son. Why else?

Because you can't ride a ski-do wearing a wetsuit in the fountains in front of the Alberta Legislature.

CUG
12-14-2010, 01:14 PM

Because you can't ride a ski-do wearing a wetsuit in the fountains in front of the Alberta Legislature. THE HELL I CANT.

kertejud2
12-14-2010, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by CUG
THE HELL I CANT.

Well, you probably could. Stockwell certainly couldn't (hard to navigate the narrow turns while holding a bible and a copy of the Liberal Red Book).