PDA

View Full Version : Rims vs Mags

Steel Angel
12-23-2003, 01:53 PM
Okay yall...

I'm almost done my schooling now, so I'm -hopefully- planning some upgrades for my car:

2002 Subaru WRX
Stock everything but 16" (I think, might be bigger ) woofer in trunk:)

I'm thinking about getting seperate summer and winter tires eventually ...

My question is a very newbie question but: What is the difference(s) between rims and mags? I was told the rims are much heavier and should be used in the winter, so if I hit the curb, there's a lower chance of cracking(!) them.

Am I wrong on this? Is it mags I should get?

If I am right, where do you recommend getting the tires / mags / rims? And what size? The stock tires are 15" on rims (or is it mags?), right? I was thinking of 17", but is that a decent size for summer? I don't race (much ):rolleyes:, more cruisin' than anything else just for the sake of cruisin'.

Any suggestions / answers would be more than helpful ...

kevie88
12-23-2003, 02:27 PM
'Mags' is an old school term used to describe Magnesium rims, which are pretty much race only. Rims is the term most people use, but Rims applys to pretty much any wheel. There are steel and aluminum rims.

As far as sizes and things, I'll let the Subaru crew speak up :thumbsup:

EK 2.0
12-23-2003, 02:28 PM
Aren't WRX stock wheels 16 inch in diameter??...

Weapon_R
12-23-2003, 05:18 PM
I think overtime the words mags and rims have both come to mean wheels. They are used interchangeably and no one is going to fault you for using any of them in a normal conversation.

4wheeldrift
12-23-2003, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Steel Angel

If I am right, where do you recommend getting the tires / mags / rims? And what size? The stock tires are 15" on rims (or is it mags?), right? I was thinking of 17", but is that a decent size for summer? I don't race (much ):rolleyes:, more cruisin' than anything else just for the sake of cruisin'.

Any suggestions / answers would be more than helpful ... Stock tires on a WRX are 205/55R16, same as the RS. You should be able to run most 225/45R17s without any rubbing. If you're just going for looks, go with a nice looking set of 17s. I personally think 18s look terrible on them, but some people disagree.

Steel Angel
12-24-2003, 01:37 AM
I've seen one time on www.tirerack.com (don't quote me, hehe) a set of 19" being available for this car. but I can't imagine the rubber itself - maybe 1/4 inch :rolleyes:. Luckily they aren't there no more, lol....

Anyhoo, what of the rims then? A good friend is saying a set with multi gold spokes coming from the center looks good, cuz they are made for this car - rally looking, I think ....

I was thinking of "directionals" (correct me if this is not the term for them) - the spokes themselves "point" in a direction - looks almost like a swatika but with more spokes. I suppose I like these ones cuz when they are spinning really fast (on the road), they look like they are spinning backwards :D ... Not practical, but looks cool to me imho.

Of course, the same friend says they would suck big time.

Again, any more suggestions is good.

Originally posted by 4wheeldrift
I personally think 18s look terrible on them, but some people disagree.

If (I doubt it at this time) I get 18", the tires would no doubt have to be thinner, but should they be wider for reasons of grip, safety, etc etc?

vtec.stz
12-24-2003, 02:57 AM
looks like New Zealand is behind then, most of us over here call them mags. Rims sounds alot more sensible i guess.

4wheeldrift
12-24-2003, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by Steel Angel

If (I doubt it at this time) I get 18", the tires would no doubt have to be thinner, but should they be wider for reasons of grip, safety, etc etc? You won't be able to get much wider tires under that car unfortunately, there just isn't a whole lot of space to play with under there. I've heard of some people running as wide as a 235 without rubbing, but it really seems to depend on the tire (shoulder profile especially).

That.Guy.S30
12-24-2003, 11:59 AM
^^ yea he knows what hes talkin about..
you want some nice crusing rims.. go for prodrive rims, rays(STI), or OZ(pretty much the same as Prodrive)
18's are hella coool but not for this type of car..
16 are stock rims for wrx tho.. so upgrading to 17 inch looks good..

RyGarg
12-28-2003, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by Thi_Thi Subs
^^ yea he knows what hes talkin about..
you want some nice crusing rims.. go for prodrive rims, rays(STI), or OZ(pretty much the same as Prodrive)
18's are hella coool but not for this type of car..
16 are stock rims for wrx tho.. so upgrading to 17 inch looks good..

I dissagree. My friend has 19"s on his WRX and it looks sporty. It isnt lowered and there is at least 2 inches between the top of the wheels and the wheel well. So there is still plenty of room to drop the car. IMO, if you plan on slamming you're WRX, then go with 17"s. If you're looking to lower it 1-2 inches, then 18"s or 19"s would fit nicely. But ofcourse money may be a factor too.