PDA

View Full Version : needs a MWD Trainee position...

AMD
08-28-2010, 09:32 AM
Hi every one,

So I was searching for MWD trainee positions and came across this forum ...I noticed that many memebers are working in the MWD field so I was wonderin if some has an idea on who is hiring currently and where can I land a MWD trainee job.

Thanks for your help..

broken_legs
08-28-2010, 02:06 PM
COSSD

COSSD

COSSD

COSSD

COSSD

COSSD

COSSD

EVERYONE is hiring.

Graham_A_M
08-28-2010, 08:12 PM
^ Yeah man... drive out to Nisku, Whitecourt, Medicine Hat, Red Deer, Grand Prarie (or fly there like I did)
and go knock on some doors. Im sure you'll have something by the end of the week the latest.

Cos
08-28-2010, 08:16 PM
Yup guys seem busy, if you apply to a few places that are known as training places you should get picked up no problem.

Have you applied anywhere yet? What is your background?

SKR
08-28-2010, 08:38 PM
I'm a five year mud man, considering making a change. I don't need tips on who to talk to or who's hiring, I think I should be able to handle that myself, but what I'd like to know is, what does an MWD job actually consist of?

I know you show up, blame the mud, huff and puff when I ask for a copy of the surveys, and then you leave. But there's got to be more to it than that.

Like, what preparation goes into a job for a field hand? Do you play any part in planning, or do you just get directions to the rig and off you go? Do you have to coordinate getting your tools out to location? What do you do when your tools don't work? When the job's over, what do you do? Do you have to travel with your equipment, and do you have to live in the same town or city as your shop?

I'd like to know how it compares to being a mud man before I get carried away with applying for jobs I might not want.

Cos
08-28-2010, 08:48 PM
MWD leaves? When I did MWD/DD for schlumberger we lived on site between the geo's and the company man. Guy I was with was 6 weeks on 4 days off, plus the odd casing break.

Do you have any school? I know most of them want electrical or electronic techs as you have to diagnose and fix the problems on site.

Edit: guess I didnt explain what we did. We had to test the tools, check battery packs, make sure the program and calibration was proper. Then when it was in the hole you had to interpolate the data, stop or fix whatever was broken (avoiding having them trip at all costs). I was a co-op student so my knowledge is VERY limited but that is what I had to do.

AMD
08-28-2010, 09:22 PM
thank you Guys for the tips and advices...

I have a bachelor degree in mechanical engineering and I am about to finish SAIT bachelor degree of applied technology petroleum engineering

I applied to Phoneix, Boundry, Mostar, Weatherford, Kambi, enesco, akita, extreme, pacesetter, newsco,

@ Broken-leg I checked COSSD as per your advice and I am applying now for the rest of companies..

@ Graham so you say that they will take walk-in applicants...I should plan to go there sooon then..

@ Cos, will appreciate if you can name those who are known as training places.

So what is the starting salary for a MWD Trainee?

Cos
08-28-2010, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by AMD

@ Cos, will appreciate if you can name those who are known as training places.

'training places' were more in reference to a place that hires you green and the most experience op is 3 or 4 years. Schlumberger is one that comes to mind for me.

AMD
08-28-2010, 09:27 PM
So how do you land a job with SLB....I applied like a week ago thru there online application but then I heard and read many horror stories about SLB....

SKR
08-28-2010, 09:30 PM
Edit: This is in repsonse to Cos' reply to me. I typed to slow.

I mean they leave at the end of the job. Staying on location would definitely be a plus, no more 600km days on icy roads starting at 5 am. Or pounding down the Ojay road for 70km at 60km/hr calling on the radio every kilometer. Every day. Because that sucks a fat dick.

No, I don't have any schooling. At least none that relates to the job. And no rig experience. But I'm not too worried about being qualified. If I talk to the right person at the right time, I think I'd have a chance at getting hired. If I'm wrong, there's not much I can do about it. I'm not going to go back to school so I have to work with what I've got.

SKR
08-28-2010, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by AMD
So how do you land a job with SLB....I applied like a week ago thru there online application but then I heard and read many horror stories about SLB....

You might want to try Halliburton and Baker Hughes too. I don't know if they're what you'd call training companies, but if it's anything like mud the bigger companies are more willing to train someone with no experience, whereas the smaller companies want experienced hands that they don't have to invest in.

Then after a few years with the big companies, you look at the rest of the field hands and you realize that almost the whole operation is a bunch of fucking mutts like you used to be, and then you leave for a smaller company.

AMD
08-28-2010, 09:43 PM
Thanks SKR...So I applied to Halliburton and Baker Hughes online as well....but i was wonderin if showing up in thier office will give me a better chance of gettin hired with one of the big companies as well.......I mean like Graham said flying to Whitecourt or GP and apply in person...

Cos
08-28-2010, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by SKR
Edit: This is in repsonse to Cos' reply to me. I typed to slow.

I mean they leave at the end of the job. Staying on location would definitely be a plus, no more 600km days on icy roads starting at 5 am. Or pounding down the Ojay road for 70km at 60km/hr calling on the radio every kilometer. Every day. Because that sucks a fat dick.

No, I don't have any schooling. At least none that relates to the job. And no rig experience. But I'm not too worried about being qualified. If I talk to the right person at the right time, I think I'd have a chance at getting hired. If I'm wrong, there's not much I can do about it. I'm not going to go back to school so I have to work with what I've got.

Ah I got ya. You never know I know not all guys had schooling. Good luck!

broken_legs
08-28-2010, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by AMD

Expect at least 200/day + 2000-3000/mth salary from any reputable MWD company for a salaried employee.

If anyone is paying you less you are getting supremely screwed.

Consultants can make 700-900/day + mileage running off the shelf MWD with single laptop, single cable acquisition systems (ie Very easy and fool proof to run)

If you decide against all the great advice you received to be a hero and you still want to believe the propaganda and work for Schlumberger, expect the following:

- Expect to be paid lower than a McDonalds worker (75/day to start)
- Expect to drag 3-4 computers to location along with 3-4 other peices of electronics to set up the most complicated surface acquisition system there is, but do all this just so you can run the slowest most basic mud pulse tool in the oilfield.
- Expect to drown in HSE and SQ culture to the extent that your job triples in complexity and effort
- Expect to have to jump through an always changing never ending system of tests and "training" on retarded shit you will never use in your job (ie the voltage on the flux capacitor deep within the electronics chassis of the MWD tool that not even the techs in the shop will take apart)
- Expect that the promotions based on all the "learning" you did will be delayed indefinitely due to "business" reasons. (ie Too busy to send you to that school you need, then too slow to afford to send you to that school you need)
- Expect after 5 years of service to finally get to the compensation numbers that all of your peers started at 5 years earlier, and are now making twice that much
- Expect to accumulate a lot of vacation days and then have management take them away without notifying you
-Expect constant errors on your pay stub and having to fight for your job bonuses
- Expect not to know anyone at work in 2 years because the management changes every 18months and all your peers have the highest attrition rate in the oilfield
- Expect to work for a manager from another country that has limited command of the english language, no clue about canadian culture or how business is done here, thinks you are overpaid, underworked, and that they deserve your respect because schlumberger is a 'meritocracy'. Afterall they spent 8 years completing all those courses so they have earned it... :rolleyes:

Just what I heard from a friend, and all in my own opinion of course. ;)

AMD
08-28-2010, 10:29 PM
Thanks broken-Leg....And no i am no longer interested in SLB....so how about the other big companies....i.e. HulliB and Weatherford??
I really hope that I can get a job with smaller company....I worked in a big company before and i hate it when they treat you like a number ...
So yeah..I will keep applying ..and hopefully i will get hired sooon...

:thumbsup:

broken_legs
08-28-2010, 10:38 PM
FWIW - All in my opinion of course

Baker Hughes
Haliburton
Weatherford

- All have more market share (keeps you busier)
- All have bigger clients (ie Suncors, Talismans, Huskies etc.. Work is more steady and planned out further in advance, as opposed to random one off call out jobs for small companies that trade on the venture...)
- Are more likely to have a rotation - pad work in Monteny, northern BC and oil sands SagD (HAL)
- All have technology and tools comparable to SLB
- All have training and development
- All have a better grasp of how business works in Canada and generally strike a better balance between corporate policies and actual working conditions for employees

I know of a lot of very happy people with WFD, and also that they are hiring right now. FYI: Shop is in Nisku.

AMD
08-28-2010, 10:50 PM
Broken_leg..wealth of Info...Thanks allot Man..
I need to go to NISKU then and apply in person....

Graham_A_M
08-29-2010, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by AMD
@ Graham so you say that they will take walk-in applicants...I should plan to go there sooon then..

Thats exactly what I did. I got my H2S ALIVE myself, (to show I was very interested) then I just pounded on door after door. If you go there in person your chances of being hired are exponentially greater then if you email/fax your resume. When they have a smiling face to remember you by; rather then a cold plain email they'll consider you that much more. Also; in the cover letter state you'll call them back at a specified date (lets day 3-6 business days later). Call them exactly when you say you will to follow up, and they'll put you on the A-list to be sure; provided your resume and cover letter are commendable.

Originally posted by AMD
You have to go on leads, and even call individual people within the company. I found out the names of the shop foremen (from talking to the employees) and talked to them, just really get involved and stand out from the crowd, but yeah they can be very hard to get on with.
I know some people waited 6 months to a year to finally get on, its stupid really. :nut:

Geo-Man-Dan
09-01-2010, 01:13 PM
Experienced MWD looking for new job!!

I have a little over 6 months experience with Ryan Energy ... I have been working for the past 2 years for a mining company ... I want back into the patch!! BAD!!!

I know EVERYBODY is hiring right now ... I want to see if anybody out there has any actual contacts for somebody with some hiring authority. I dont want to be wasting my time sending resumes to general mailboxes ... or calling receptionists to ask for phone numbers for managers and/or supervisors. PLUS ... if your company has a referal incentive program, one of you could make some cash by refering me to your employer.

PM me any contacts you may have PLEASE!!!

AMD
09-01-2010, 01:18 PM
@Graham_A_M.......Thank you so much for the advice, I actually called a number of companies and got good results, better than I have expected.... I will try other ways as well....

AMD
09-01-2010, 01:26 PM
Thank you to everyone who took time to share and contribute by sharing their experience and ideas throughout my post....I am still looking and trying many approaches anxiously to start my career as an MWD trainee.

So please feel free to PM for any contacts and recommendations at ANY TIME.:thumbsup:

Much appreciated...

broken_legs
09-01-2010, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Geo-Man-Dan
Experienced MWD looking for new job!!

I have a little over 6 months experience with Ryan Energy ... I have been working for the past 2 years for a mining company ... I want back into the patch!! BAD!!!

I know EVERYBODY is hiring right now ... I want to see if anybody out there has any actual contacts for somebody with some hiring authority. I dont want to be wasting my time sending resumes to general mailboxes ... or calling receptionists to ask for phone numbers for managers and/or supervisors. PLUS ... if your company has a referal incentive program, one of you could make some cash by refering me to your employer.

PM me any contacts you may have PLEASE!!!

Dude.

No one is going to give you a name and risk their own reputation until they know you.

Seriously, every directional company is hiring. If you have experience it should be a cake walk, you should be overloaded with job offers and have the pick of the litter. Why waste your time trying to get in with one referral??

AMD
09-01-2010, 06:33 PM
@broken_legs...you are absoulotely right man.....

I have sent my resume and called a dozen of companies and they told me they are hiring and they will get back to me.....

My only problem was because I don't have experience in the MWD field, but most of them were willing to consider hiring me sometime in the near future......

I will not :banghead: ,,,and I won't give hope until someone will gives me a chance to be part of his team...we will just have to keep the faith...

AMD
09-26-2010, 10:02 AM
Hi every one..,

Its been a while now and I applied every where...called and talked to the HR poeple...but no response...I wonder what else i can do...,Every one seems to hire but only those with rig experience...any advice will be appreciated...
Thanks

kaput
09-26-2010, 10:13 AM