PDA

View Full Version : "Smart Casual"

flipstah
08-28-2010, 10:45 AM
Hey everybody!

I'm going to be starting a co-op job come September and this is my first corporate job ever! Now, I asked about proper office attire and was informed that suits aren't necessary but it's "smart casual".

I Googled that phrase and got many conflicting results.

So I was wondering if any Beyond CEO's can help a male who's used to wearing stupid graphic tee's and Chucks :rofl:

What I had in mind are:
- Lacoste polo shirt
- Dress pants
- Occasional sweater

Yeah? :dunno:

Let me know!

HungryJack
08-28-2010, 10:49 AM
That sounds reasonable, maybe ask some of the people who work there what they wear to work??

Weapon_R
08-28-2010, 10:50 AM
long-sleeve Shirts, sports coats, loafers & Slacks. No jeans, no t-shirts, probably no sweaters. And wear a belt, always.

Unknown303
08-28-2010, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
long-sleeve Shirts, sports coats, loafers & Slacks. No jeans, no t-shirts, probably no sweaters. And wear a belt, always.

Always wear a belt! even in bed in briefs you should throw a belt on. ULTRA CLASSY!!!

But seriously what this guy said.

xttxt
08-28-2010, 11:14 AM
turtle necks and tweed sport coats. killer combo.

msommers
08-28-2010, 11:21 AM
I asked about this at the beginning of summer, search it up. Congrats on the coop job :)

sabad66
08-28-2010, 11:32 AM
Any long sleeve shirt with any type of dress pants. No tie req'd but if you feel like it, go for it. Polos/golf shirts can work too in the summer, and you can do a cardigan/sweater over the shirt if you want. And yeah always wear a belt, and please, no white socks with dress shoes - invest in some nice dress socks.

Is it at an oil company? You will probably have casual Fridays in that case, and usually jeans and a polo is fine (or a sweater in winter)

I think it really depends on the company.. if you post what company or at least the industry we might be able to be more precise.

flipstah
08-28-2010, 01:25 PM
Thanks everyone! No sweaters? Check.

Originally posted by msommers
I asked about this at the beginning of summer, search it up. Congrats on the coop job :)

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/300020/wardrobe-downtown/

This one? D'oh! Searching>Me. But thanks! I'll read more on that thread for places to buy.

I love BR pants (so comfy) but their shirts are blargh. I don't like Mexx so I guess the shirt dilemma continues on.

Originally posted by sabad66
Any long sleeve shirt with any type of dress pants. No tie req'd but if you feel like it, go for it. Polos/golf shirts can work too in the summer, and you can do a cardigan/sweater over the shirt if you want. And yeah always wear a belt, and please, no white socks with dress shoes - invest in some nice dress socks.

Is it at an oil company? You will probably have casual Fridays in that case, and usually jeans and a polo is fine (or a sweater in winter)

I think it really depends on the company.. if you post what company or at least the industry we might be able to be more precise.

It is an oil company (Suncor) and I was informed that there is casual Fridays. I just want to look good on top of doing a great job. :)

dirtsniffer
08-29-2010, 09:05 AM
might want to think the br pants if you work at an oil company..
just saying

flipstah
08-29-2010, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
might want to think the br pants if you work at an oil company..
just saying

But they're dress pants...? :dunno:

Please expand.

t-im
08-29-2010, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by flipstah

I love BR pants (so comfy) but their shirts are blargh. I don't like Mexx so I guess the shirt dilemma continues on.

Try Brooks Brother - I'm a fan of their Classic Cotton extra slim fit dress shirts. Not expensive either.

If you want lower priced I've had good luck with Zara & Benetton in a pinch (though I've never looked in Calgary). American Apparel has some nice fitting dress shirts also, though they're not particularly worth the price.

If you ever find yourself in a city with a Topman or Uniqlo, I'd suggest picking up a few shirts there (especially Uniqlo). Cheap & very decent.

dirtsniffer
08-29-2010, 12:07 PM

But they're dress pants...? :dunno:

Please expand.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/313878/more-hypocritical-anti-oil-sands-rhetoric/

guess i should have been more clear
my first post was more for lulz anyways

teggs1919
08-29-2010, 12:15 PM
ball it up n make ur co workers jeleous with a suit the 1st week

top_speed
08-29-2010, 12:34 PM
which co-op? Are you working in retail or warehouse??

JfuckinC
08-29-2010, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by top_speed

are you retarded? No wonder you work at co-op haha :rofl:

Cos
08-29-2010, 12:49 PM
I would start with dress pants and a long sleeve dress shirt with nice belt and shoes. No tie or suit.

Anything less may seem a little under dressed. If everyone else is dressed down it wont make you look like a douche.

Canucks3322
08-29-2010, 12:53 PM

:rofl: ....I'm friends with the op...he said he was doing cashier I think at the Westhills location.

Ashers
08-29-2010, 01:28 PM
My job has the description of "Business Casual". I've never heard of "Smart Casual". I usually wear Black dress pants and a darker coloured dress shirt. And a belt... a nice one is a must. Darker colours are better, as they tend to present you as a more powerful person. I personally love the no iron shirts from Denver-Hayes at Mark's, they look great, and never wrinkle.

flipstah
08-29-2010, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/313878/more-hypocritical-anti-oil-sands-rhetoric/

guess i should have been more clear
my first post was more for lulz anyways

NOOO! Damn you, Gap!

Well, thanks for the help everyone! Looks like a simple dress shirt/pants combo is a safe bet.

And of course, THE BELT.

http://www.clothingfordiscount.com/images_products/Kenneth_Cole_REACTION_08_7217_Kenneth_Cole_REACTION_Men_Waldorf_1_3_8_Reversible_Leather_Belt.jpg

:thumbsup:

Stephen81
08-29-2010, 10:05 PM

NOOO! Damn you, Gap!

Well, thanks for the help everyone! Looks like a simple dress shirt/pants combo is a safe bet.

And of course, THE BELT.

http://www.clothingfordiscount.com/images_products/Kenneth_Cole_REACTION_08_7217_Kenneth_Cole_REACTION_Men_Waldorf_1_3_8_Reversible_Leather_Belt.jpg

:thumbsup:

:rofl: I bought the exact same belt for my Co-op job starting tomorrow...it must be a good choice then!

flipstah
08-29-2010, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by stephen_haxton

:rofl: I bought the exact same belt for my Co-op job starting tomorrow...it must be a good choice then!

Proven fact that Beyonders not only have great taste in cars and women, but also in fashion! ;)

Stephen81
08-29-2010, 11:50 PM
True haha, hopefully you got yours at the same place as me and didn't pay more than $30. Shit, I shouldn't still be on Beyond or I'm going to sleep in my first day:zzz:

flipstah
08-29-2010, 11:55 PM
True haha, hopefully you got yours at the same place as me and didn't pay more than $30. Shit, I shouldn't still be on Beyond or I'm going to sleep in my first day:zzz:

Haha I didn't. Good luck! =D

And to fellow Co-op students, good luck to you too! :thumbsup:

sexualbanana
08-30-2010, 12:24 AM
I dunno. I think sweaters are perfectly acceptable as long as it's not like one of those Club Monaco sweaters from the 90s. A knit sweater, I think, is perfectly fine.

Disoblige
08-30-2010, 12:27 AM
Hah!

sneek
08-30-2010, 01:06 AM
I'd just get some well fitting dress shirts, dress pants/ kakhis, and rock that belt you have. If everyone at work isn't as dressed up, just roll up your sleeves for a more casual look.

flipstah
08-30-2010, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by sexualbanana
I dunno. I think sweaters are perfectly acceptable as long as it's not like one of those Club Monaco sweaters from the 90s. A knit sweater, I think, is perfectly fine.

What's acceptable and what's not? What about this:

http://blog.thisnext.com/storage/argyle%20sweater%20fall%20fashion%20blue%20argyle.jpg

Originally posted by sneek
I'd just get some well fitting dress shirts, dress pants/ kakhis, and rock that belt you have. If everyone at work isn't as dressed up, just roll up your sleeves for a more casual look.

Hmm.... That's going to be tricky. Don't know what their stance is on tattoos just yet so I'll be doing the long sleeves for a while until I get a feel of the atmosphere.

It's not like it's a gangbanger tattoo or anything, but some people just do not like tattoos in general.

sexualbanana
08-30-2010, 10:13 AM

http://blog.thisnext.com/storage/argyle%20sweater%20fall%20fashion%20blue%20argyle.jpg

I think it's fine.

arian_ma
08-30-2010, 11:00 AM
What I would do to play it safe is wear a dress shirt and dress pants to work for the first week, regardless of what they told you to wear. Then watch what everyone else wears and adjust your style up/down to match everyone else.

Every office I've worked at has told me to dress a certain way, but after about the second week I always end up changing what I planned to wear because either no one cares or they are tight asses.

JordanEG6
08-30-2010, 11:18 AM
^^ That's what I do when I start a new job. Fortunately, my office doesn't have a dress code, but I still like to dress "smart casual" or "business casual".

I wear sweaters to work.
Mostly V-necks and argyle sweaters with collared shirts underneath. Sometimes a nice knitted crew neck is fine too.
I see no problem with it.

Cos
08-30-2010, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by arian_ma
What I would do to play it safe is wear a dress shirt and dress pants to work for the first week, regardless of what they told you to wear. Then watch what everyone else wears and adjust your style up/down to match everyone else.

Every office I've worked at has told me to dress a certain way, but after about the second week I always end up changing what I planned to wear because either no one cares or they are tight asses.

I agree. It can be tough at some places though. At my office I flutter all over the place. The owners and some of the designers were suit jacket, dress pants, and a nice shirt. But some of the other designers wear jeans and beer t-shirts all the time.

Some days, especially field days, I come in with jeans and a shirt. Today I am wearing a sport coat, dress pants, and button up shirt. No matter what I do I get comments about what I am wearing (overly dressed I get the "oh job interview?" comment, under dressed I get the "oh field day?" comment). Not sure what to do anymore. I like wearing the nicer clothes but I feel overly dressed sometimes.

t-im
08-30-2010, 11:26 AM

I think sweaters are fine. That one's not bad, but I find those always look a bit 'bulky,' especially with a collared shirt under it. Merino wool sweaters look cleaner/dressier.

dennisaur
08-30-2010, 11:30 AM

LOL I am wearing the same belt right now except mine is the dark brown version. Matching shoe and belt color is a must!

flipstah
08-30-2010, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by dennisaur

LOL I am wearing the same belt right now except mine is the dark brown version. Matching shoe and belt color is a must!

You know it's reversible, right? :rofl:

403Gemini
08-30-2010, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by arian_ma

This.

Always dress a bit "nicer" like dress shirt, shoes, and a collared long sleeve shirt for the first week or so. After that you get a feel of what you can get away with. By the end of me working in the office I'd just wear a golf shirt + khakis and it was more than enough (since some people were wearing lululemon clothes lol)

Cos
08-30-2010, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

some people were wearing lululemon clothes lol)

Pics or I dont believe you

GQBalla
08-30-2010, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Cos

Pics or I dont believe you
lululemon actually makes dress pant look alikes.

lol

Cos
08-30-2010, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla

lol

ewwwwwww nm. I was hoping his AA or receptionist was rocking some

dennisaur
08-30-2010, 04:26 PM

You know it's reversible, right? :rofl:

lol holy fuck i didn't know that hahahaha :rofl:

oh well i always rock dark brown shoes anyway so it's always on that side:rofl:

Superdooper
08-30-2010, 05:42 PM
Easier to ask in a forum then in real life so.... :D

How much are you guys paid in ur Co-op/summer positions...is it fixed monthly or hourly wage?

Cos
08-30-2010, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by Superdooper
Easier to ask in a forum then in real life so.... :D

How much are you guys paid in ur Co-op/summer positions...is it fixed monthly or hourly wage?

Need more info than that.... position? year? schooling? company? industry?

Superdooper
08-31-2010, 01:17 PM
Well i was talking in general here to the co-op students but in that case then:

- Planning Analyst - think forecasting and variance analysis of production, budget planning, Netback and sensitivity analysis on prices ....ad-hoc stuff as you can see.

- Third Year

- Energy Economics

-Mid-size OnG company

Also, i was wondering what a position such as this would pay if i were to go full time, come graduation time...

403Gemini
09-02-2010, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by GQBalla

lol

And guy clothes... some dudes wore it to the office... wasn't about to take pics of that... Cos you freakin homo ;) jk lol

Cos
09-02-2010, 08:58 AM

And guy clothes... some dudes wore it to the office... wasn't about to take pics of that... Cos you freakin homo ;) jk lol

http://rlv.zcache.com/no_homo_rainbow_sticker-p217120576483690026qjcl_400.jpg

Unknown303
09-02-2010, 09:31 AM

LOL he is sooooo gay.

copynpaste
09-02-2010, 12:43 PM
i have a question whens the proper time to ask if tats are acceptable in the office or have to be covered?

Unknown303
09-02-2010, 01:25 PM
Are you taking your shirt off at the office or something? :dunno:

copynpaste
09-02-2010, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Unknown303
Are you taking your shirt off at the office or something? :dunno:

no but i have my entire forearms tat. I usually ask if im allowed to wear short sleeves. My last couple office jobs they were ok with it but had hard time finding when is the right time to bring it up.

flipstah
09-08-2010, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by copynpaste

no but i have my entire forearms tat. I usually ask if im allowed to wear short sleeves. My last couple office jobs they were ok with it but had hard time finding when is the right time to bring it up.

Me too. I have a forearm tattoo also so I've just been doing long-sleeve but... Casual Friday is coming soon and I miss the short-sleeve.

Anybody have experiences with this? Also, it's not gang-banger tats so that's good lol.

Also, what do people do to keep the creases in dress pants?!

boosted_Z
09-08-2010, 09:23 PM

Also, what do people do to keep the creases in dress pants?!
Iron them?

If you're lazy or they're dry-clean only / no iron take them to the cleaners. It's like $6 to get them pressed or $9 to clean and press. Might take 2-3 days though (depends on company).

I'd spend an hour trying to get every wrinkle out and clean creases and never do as good of a job as them. I consider this money well spent.

Oh, and it's like $3 or $4 per shirt. Do a weeks worth of shirts for under $20 and they're mint.