PDA

View Full Version : More of my marketplace rants

Unknown303
08-28-2010, 04:20 PM
I've noticed through a lot of marketplace threads over the years that we get people posting things for sale for a friend, family etc etc etc, with please contact "PersonX" at BLANK.

Now I really understand listing things for your family perhaps as you can be in direct contact with them and what not, but this friends thing that people do seems a little shady either to get around the 30 day rule or who knows what else.

I'd prefer if the marketplace was kept as a members only service. This way we can to some degree feel confident that the person selling something is going to conduct the sale in a legitimate fashion since for most of us our long term account is on the line for slander if we bail on a buyer or screw them over with the for sale item.

What can I say I'm a dreamer.

Kloubek
08-28-2010, 04:25 PM
I get what you're saying, but if you don't want to contact the ones which are being posted on behalf of a friend, then don't.

:dunno:

Unknown303
08-28-2010, 04:30 PM
understandable. I still like the idea that any item that you look at in the marketplace should be for sale from a member who's been here for at least 30 days and is in good standing (>90% user rating). By posting for friends a person is really circumventing the rules established for the marketplace.

dj_rice
08-28-2010, 05:55 PM
I see what unknown is saying, this could also be used say I sell my friends TV with his contact details below and he ends up scamming a Beyonder, I can say has nothing to do with me, take it up with him and deflect all blame/fault for the sale.

Jlude
08-28-2010, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
I see what unknown is saying, this could also be used say I sell my friends TV with his contact details below and he ends up scamming a Beyonder, I can say has nothing to do with me, take it up with him and deflect all blame/fault for the sale.

You're friends with scammers? If not, then it shouldn't be an issue.

TomcoPDR
08-28-2010, 06:26 PM

BUT, if a member posts for someone else (friend, family, under 30 day member) then said member would/should be held accountable from a reputation stand-point say on the "feedback" system...

What I like to see if prevent changes on car sale ads, people deleting the entire post of said vehicle to ***SOLD*** I'd like to see a collection of price ranges (of a certain model), and the dates in time when listed, etc...

Cos
08-28-2010, 06:28 PM
Hahah, I am currently helping my little bro sell his Wii and Nintendo DS. However I have been coordinating the sale because he is 14. As was already stated it is my username and reputation and I will stand behind what we are selling.

Now if someone off the corner wants me to list something for them.... too bad.

I have sold maybe a dozen things on beyond and 1 so far has been for him.

dj_rice
08-28-2010, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Jlude

You're friends with scammers? If not, then it shouldn't be an issue.

:facepalm: I was doing the hypothetical quetion. And most of my friends are asians so no, I'm not friends with scammers.

Cos
08-28-2010, 06:39 PM

And most of my friends are asians so no, I'm not friends with scammers.

http://captionsearch.com/pix/thumb/vpxe3o7tjl-t.jpg

Asians cant be scammers?

Unknown303
08-28-2010, 07:02 PM
I'm saying we have a set of rules that we might as well follow. Anyone over the age of 16 is probably capable of having their own user account and posting once they've met the appropriate criteria. I see in Cos's case why it works for him to post for his little brother, but there are people posting shit all the time that's "for a friend" and that other person if they are trying to sell something privately should be just as capable as you or I to make an account and do what the rest of us are doing.

Cos
08-28-2010, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Unknown303
I'm saying we have a set of rules that we might as well follow. Anyone over the age of 16 is probably capable of having their own user account and posting once they've met the appropriate criteria. I see in Cos's case why it works for him to post for his little brother, but there are people posting shit all the time that's "for a friend" and that other person if they are trying to sell something privately should be just as capable as you or I to make an account and do what the rest of us are doing.

I 100% agree with you actually. I always kind of wondered why those banned didnt just get a buddy to list shit for them.

I think there should be a bit more of an incentive to keep your user rating high and not get your ass banned. Not sure how to do that but some of the private tracker forums do a really good job of it.

ryder_23
08-29-2010, 11:04 AM

:confused:

[Yu]
08-29-2010, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR

BUT, if a member posts for someone else (friend, family, under 30 day member) then said member would/should be held accountable from a reputation stand-point say on the "feedback" system...

What I like to see if prevent changes on car sale ads, people deleting the entire post of said vehicle to ***SOLD*** I'd like to see a collection of price ranges (of a certain model), and the dates in time when listed, etc...

I agree on the second point with Tomco. I would much prefer it to be everything though, and I understand why some people don't want to post it.

For example, in the cellular forums, I often look at prices of phones to see what is the general range I should be paying for. Also if I am selling, it helps that I get some prices that the phones have sold for, so I don't have lowballers, or nor do I need to post it at such a ridiculous high amount.

Aleks
08-29-2010, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Cos

Asians cant be scammers?

Of course not they are just cheap, big difference :zzz:

Cos
08-29-2010, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Aleks

Of course not they are just cheap, big difference :zzz:

ah that makes more sense.

One thing I was thinking, make marketplace threads locked after 30 minutes (that way if you bugger it up you can edit it) and make only the contact info a different field that you can edit it once sold. Also if you had it so the OP could mark their own threads as sold it would be a lot easier.

- You could see the old thread (helpful for user reviews too)
- Mods wouldnt have to close and lock for sale threads
- lots of other positives, just not sure how vBullitn works.

Disoblige
08-30-2010, 12:16 AM

Funniest thing I read all night haha! :D

D'z Nutz
08-30-2010, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR

I agree and also disagree.

Personally, I hate when members completely delete the original posting after an item is sold. I'd like to see the original posting because, like [Yu] said, it makes for a good reference when you are buying/selling a similar item. That way you know what the going rate of something is so you know if you're asking too much or too little when you're selling, or if you're buying how much you can expect to pay. When I see a post has been edited and the content completely removed, I assume the seller has something to hide.

On the other hand, giving members the ability to edit their postings isn't a bad thing. It gives them the ability to add information they had earlier left out that they may have forgotten to.

I've seen a really great solution for both these problems on a number of other forums: members are allowed to edit their postings, but the original post (and any subsequent changes) is still retained and can be viewed with a click of a button. For example, a Beyond member has been sniffing felt markers and thinks he can sell his 1994 civic for $20,000. A few weeks goes by and he decides to lower his price to $10,000 and updates the original post. Another month and he goes down to $2000. Finally, more time goes by and he's fiending for another hit so he's willing to trade for a box of Mr. Sketch. You always see the latest version, but if the post has been edited, you see at the bottom of the post how many times it's been edited and you click on it to see each revision. Something like that would be useful to see if someone really has "bumped for a price drop". Also it'd be good to have when a member catches onto someone scamming and the scammer edits all his posts to remove incriminating information.

Mint was always my favorite scent.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4012/4194231742_884eb58076_m.jpg