PDA

View Full Version : Processor differences

fluid
08-29-2010, 07:03 PM
Is there a big difference between the dual-core amd processors compared with i3's and i5's;
im in the market for a laptop, and when i search the specs for each processor it seems they all have similar processing power, is there a big difference between them?

Vagabond142
08-29-2010, 08:13 PM
These days, unless you are buying a real turnip of a processor, there really isn't much in it. If you're doing super-hardcore equation processing (3D rendering, difficult mathematical computations, geophysical crunching, etc), then an Intel chip is superior because of the simultaneous instructions per cycle it can do. However, for average, everyday usage (watching movies, writing papers, using excel, browsing the net), there really isn't much in it. If you're looking at gaming, Intel gains a slight (like 2%) advantage there again, due to the way it handles instructions. But still, the average gamer can't even tell a 2% difference in instruction processing.

The other difference is that, until the recent generation of AMD chips, Intels run a little cooler, extending their life some.

Disoblige
08-29-2010, 08:34 PM
This website may provide some insight.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Processors-Benchmarklist.2436.0.html

Stick with an i3 or at least Core 2 Duo system.

Super_Geo
08-29-2010, 11:36 PM
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

K3RMiTdot
08-29-2010, 11:40 PM
noob question: if i were to buy a computer for everyday use, would you get i3? im also confused what this stuff is, and dual core, quad core and all that shit

Super_Geo
08-29-2010, 11:45 PM
Any i3 is more than enough for everyday use... If you want to play games then maybe look at an i5, but with games the video card makes a bigger difference.

Disoblige
08-29-2010, 11:49 PM
Originally, processors came with one core, meaning processing instructions one at a time.

Most of the processors these days are at least dual-core (2 cores), or quad-core (4 cores). This is advantageous because it means you can multitask better on your system.

I would minimum go with an Intel i3 Desktop if you want a PC to last longer than 3-4 years. The i3 will be a dual-core processor.

I would likely stay away from the Desktops with AMD processors. Most of them will be quad-cores if they are in the same price-range as the Intel i3, but performance is actually lower on the AMDs even though they are quad-core.

Vagabond142
08-30-2010, 10:13 AM
I should clarify that my earlier post was about the midrange and entry level range, namely in the midrange things are pretty even (i3 vs Athlon II X4), as that was the initial range asked about :D

If you're going to be doing anything seriously above watching movies, browsing the net and playing farmville, Intel, as shown, is the way to go. I personally use Intel chips without question, but I am also known as one of the slightly more hardcore gamers around here ;)