PDA

View Full Version : Just moved to AB, caught speeding with ON license

Martel
08-30-2010, 05:20 PM
I got fined $330 for (apparently) going 45 over on my way to Etown.

I just moved from ON and was driving a relatives car with my ON license.

The officer (assuming I was going back to ON) told me I had to deal with the ticket before I go back otherwise I wouldn't be able to renew license etc. etc.

However I'm planning to buy a car and transfer my license AB

Can I ignore the ticket? Would anything happen?

One of my worries is after my last ticket 4 years ago, I recieved notice that my license would be suspended with another violation.

Thoughts?

Tik-Tok
08-30-2010, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Martel

Should I just ignore the ticket?

Sure, why not.

Cos
08-30-2010, 05:58 PM
go back to ontario.....

Okay in all seriousness, tickets are registered and if you dont pay it you cant get an ab license. If you dont go to court or plead guilty (by paying) you will have a warrant put out for your arrest.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
08-30-2010, 06:03 PM
Did you happen to be driving a White MK6 Golf GTi?

top_speed
08-30-2010, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Cos
go back to ontario.....

Okay in all seriousness, tickets are registered and if you dont pay it you cant get an ab license. If you dont go to court or plead guilty (by paying) you will have a warrant put out for your arrest.
i thought they stopped giving arrest warrants for unpaid tickets??

Cos
08-30-2010, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by top_speed

i thought they stopped giving arrest warrants for unpaid tickets??

Not that I know, you have until x and x a date to plead guilty or go to court. If you dont go to court, for any reason, you have a warrant out. Only thing I can think of that is exempt is bylaw infractions.

NuclearPizzaMan
08-31-2010, 10:35 AM

The officer (assuming I was going back to ON) told me I had to deal with the ticket before I go back otherwise I wouldn't be able to renew license etc. etc.

One of my worries is after my last ticket 4 years ago, I recieved notice that my license would be suspended with another violation.

Thoughts?

Enjoy the bus.

ercchry
08-31-2010, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Cos

Not that I know, you have until x and x a date to plead guilty or go to court. If you dont go to court, for any reason, you have a warrant out. Only thing I can think of that is exempt is bylaw infractions.

dont think so... i pay no tickets till i have to renew... if this was true then after my first ticket then i would have been in trouble when i got the second one of the year

but going the other way (ticket in ontario, live here) they send it to collections if left unpaid

what to do about the suspended licence? go get your ab licence BEFORE that date on the ticket... you are not guilty of the crime yet ;)

dannie
08-31-2010, 12:15 PM

Thoughts?

If your last ticket was 4 years ago, you won't need to worry about getting suspended in Alberta.

You won't be able to ignore the ticket because once the ticket goes overdue, Alberta Justice sends the ticket back to MTO. When MTO gets a copy of the ticket, they will either flag your file in Ontario (if you still have an ON licence at that point) and restrict your file. If you have an AB licence at that time, they will forward the ticket back to Alberta and restrict your licence. Either way it will come back to you.

JustGo
08-31-2010, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Sure, why not.

ahaha... this.

Martel
08-31-2010, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
Did you happen to be driving a White MK6 Golf GTi?

no that wasn't me...

dexlargo
08-31-2010, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Cos

Not that I know, you have until x and x a date to plead guilty or go to court. If you dont go to court, for any reason, you have a warrant out. Only thing I can think of that is exempt is bylaw infractions. For most tickets warrants are not issued.

Warrants don't go out unless the ticket is issued under part 2 of the Provincial Offences Procedure Act, which requires court attendance. Some tickets are always part 2 tickets and as such always require a person to attend court. These include No insurance, Driving while unauthorized, etc.

All tickets may be issued under part 2, but for most offences, they're issued under part 3 of that Act. These are usually your run of the mill offences - speeding, red light, etc. If you don't show up on a part 3 offence, you are convicted in your absence. You'll get a notice of conviction in the mail, along with information about how much the penalty is. No warrants can issue on part 3 tickets.

I can never remember which tickets are which, but I think the copy of the ticket given to the driver for part 2 tickets are one colour and part 3 tickets are another colour. Does anyone know off the top of their head which colour is which?

ercchry
08-31-2010, 10:17 PM
pink and yellow (yellow being the part 3 one)

Cos
09-01-2010, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by dexlargo
For most tickets warrants are not issued.

Warrants don't go out unless the ticket is issued under part 2 of the Provincial Offences Procedure Act, which requires court attendance. Some tickets are always part 2 tickets and as such always require a person to attend court. These include No insurance, Driving while unauthorized, etc.

All tickets may be issued under part 2, but for most offences, they're issued under part 3 of that Act. These are usually your run of the mill offences - speeding, red light, etc. If you don't show up on a part 3 offence, you are convicted in your absence. You'll get a notice of conviction in the mail, along with information about how much the penalty is. No warrants can issue on part 3 tickets.

I can never remember which tickets are which, but I think the copy of the ticket given to the driver for part 2 tickets are one colour and part 3 tickets are another colour. Does anyone know off the top of their head which colour is which?

Originally posted by ercchry
pink and yellow (yellow being the part 3 one)

Thanks guys, that makes sense. Never really had a lot of tickets so dont know a lot about this stuff.

Type_S1
09-01-2010, 07:48 AM
Go back to Ontario...seriously.

Alberta has enough stupid drivers we don't need another that goes 45 over THEN makes a stupid thread asking if he can ignore the ticket.

My question to you is are you stupid? Your in Canada obviously you have to pay the ticket.

spike98
09-01-2010, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Cos

Incorrect. For traffic violations where a voluntary payment option is givin a warrent cannot be issued in the event that you do not pay.

If you pay, by paying you plead guilty.

If you dont pay, you automatically plead guilty in your absence and the fee is due. If it is not paid, you get charged a penalty and will have to pay it in full before receiving any alberta registries service.

NOW, if you show up in court, plead guilty and ask for time to pay you will be giving an extension to the due date for the fine. If you dont pay by the extension date, then and only then, a warrent can be issued for your arrest.

Once being arrested you are not charged with anything but you are detained untill the fine is paid.

Tram Common
09-01-2010, 05:05 PM
If you were going back to Ontario you wouldn't have anything to worry about.

Because you're planning to change to an Albertan license, then it will stick around.

You have a set amount of time before you need to act by either paying it or pleading not guilty... until then it won't interfere with you changing over to an Alberta license...

... if you wait too long though, then it will.