PDA

View Full Version : Shiping a car from the usa to calgary.

88CRX
12-23-2003, 06:06 PM
Now before anyone says search, read! I know all about getting it into Canada and making it legal, but i want to know if i can ship it here. Cause i dont have time to go get it and all that shit.

So can it simply be shiped directly to Calgary from the states or what?

Has anyone done this before? cost?

thanks

Mikaldor
12-24-2003, 03:34 PM
I've shipped a car from Houston to Calgary. I used Hansen's forwarding for the shipping and they were great.

Things that you have to do:
1. Check with the government for what mods you have to do to make the car legal, assuming that it is less than 15 years old you have to go through a Registrar of Imported vehicles (RIV)inspection. The website for them is www.riv.ca They may require some changes to the car depending upon year and type. They have a table that lists out what mods are needed by car model.

2. Check with customs for what duties/tax that you will need to pay. www.ccra.gc.ca You will need to pay any taxes etc at the rail yard in Calgary when you pick it up.

3. Make sure that you have the bill of sale and the title. The originals have to be shipped with the car otherwise they will hold it at the border crossing.

4. Arrange with Searail or Hansens for pick up and delivery. I had quotes from both and the Hansens guys came in about $300 cheaper.

5. Wait. It took me 3 weeks to get my car up to Calgary. The most likely border crossing that the transport company will use to clear it into Canada is Port Huron, Ont. From there they will put it on a train and send it out to Calgary.

Pick up is at the rail yard in Ogden. Pay your GST, air conditioner tax (if you have it on the car) and other misc taxes. Then drive it away.

On a car that is older than 15 years, you can skip the RIV. They don't care about cars that old.

Mikaldor
12-24-2003, 03:35 PM
Oh and BTW, you have to deal with the RIV and Canada customs. In the old days the shipping company would do that for you, but after 911 the rules changed and the customer has to deal with the government machinery.

88CRX
12-24-2003, 03:42 PM
ok so how much was it all together?

and you were buying the car right? it wasnt yours to start with?

sandman
12-24-2003, 04:24 PM
searail is wat i used to ship my car to me
from cali its about 1200
dpeends where u ship from but they hav a thing on their site where u can get a free quote
when i was lookin they were the cheapest movers
if the car is on the western side of the states they can ship non starting ccars too
not form th east tho coz all cars go to their ontario office, and they dont load the cars onto the train themselves, or it was something like that :dunno:, ran into the issue when a friend imported a salvaged rsx

westcoastguy
03-17-2004, 12:07 AM
don't use searail. we use searail because they where cheaper, but our car came weeks later being really late and half the time they said their computer is broken down. also when we received our car, the front car had to be painted and badly chips and damaged spoiler. also someone went thru our car and mess everything up and stole many of our hidden stuffs including change in the ashtrays. Their customer service people on site were aweful and told us if we continued to be fustrated with our concern that we would be kick off their property, also if we submitt a claim to searail, we would have to pay a $500 deductable to Searail insurance for them to fix our car. Its much better to use someone else than searail. we are considering taking Searail to court. this incident happen this March 2004. why do you think you have to pay Searail first? because they have so many problems with peoples vehicles with misuse. Also, when you ship your car with Searail they leave your car unlock with the keys in the your car while its being transported. Trust me, your car isn't safe with unlock doors and keys inside your vehicle when your somewhere else.

you decide if you want to use Searail?? i know i 'll never use them

88CRX
03-17-2004, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by westcoastguy
don't use searail. we use searail because they where cheaper, but our car came weeks later being really late and half the time they said their computer is broken down. also when we received our car, the front car had to be painted and badly chips and damaged spoiler. also someone went thru our car and mess everything up and stole many of our hidden stuffs including change in the ashtrays. Their customer service people on site were aweful and told us if we continued to be fustrated with our concern that we would be kick off their property, also if we submitt a claim to searail, we would have to pay a $500 deductable to Searail insurance for them to fix our car. Its much better to use someone else than searail. we are considering taking Searail to court. this incident happen this March 2004. why do you think you have to pay Searail first? because they have so many problems with peoples vehicles with misuse. Also, when you ship your car with Searail they leave your car unlock with the keys in the your car while its being transported. Trust me, your car isn't safe with unlock doors and keys inside your vehicle when your somewhere else.

you decide if you want to use Searail?? i know i 'll never use them

um............ thanks...... i guess....

but do you realize this thread is from last December?

3G
03-23-2004, 08:58 PM
I know this thread is old so please dont tell me it's an old thread :) Better than making a new thread

Does anyone know how much it will cost to ship a car from Windsor Ontario to Calgary?

Thanks

91rss
03-23-2004, 09:33 PM
hansons or searail.they all ship on the train,they buy a hole and try to fill it.GET a written Quote,DO NOT use Fleet shuttle service in TO.the searail yard is in Concorde..My gas was stolen also..

jumaga
02-21-2005, 03:17 PM
This is a PSA to everybody who thinks about using SeaRail:
Contrary to SeaRail's advertising claims, they are not "the careful car movers." I hired SeaRail to ship my car and after I received it, it had sustained approx $4000 in damage. Instead of owning up and repairing it (under insurance no less) SeaRail refused.
I have since taken them to small claims court, and WON.
I do not recommending using them as they are unscrupulous liars, you ship with them at your own peril.

paulm
07-26-2006, 04:47 PM
Do not use Searail under any circumstances !! They have done $5000 to my BMW .These people are the worst transporters in the world !! They are being spoken to by my lawyer at the moment !! You have been warned !! These people are bad believe me .

paulm
12-07-2006, 11:01 AM
If These people damage your car Sue them and write to CN Rail .
They payed up over $6000 dollars to me after I gave them as much grief as I could . These are not good people to trust with your car !!

arian_ma
12-07-2006, 06:22 PM
Hey man I didn't read all the posts above because I am in a hurry, but you should realize that you need to somehow pay for the car. Since you can't fly down there, you will either be paying the guy through direct deposit, or paying when you pick up the car.
If you pay by direct deposit...you might not get your car.
If you wanna pay when you pick up, you will have to find a shipper who is willing to deal with the money side of things.
Just letting ya know.

Good luck!
You should add about $1500 to the price of the car for shipping, but that oculd go up and down depending on where. Just an average is 1500.

Cofixer
06-09-2008, 01:47 AM
Hi, I have personally used Searail and I was really disappointed. The car arrived not only later (almost 16 days), but damaged. One of the drivers somehow hooked the headers on the ramps and not only crushed them but bent them into the steering box and pulled them away from the engine. When I tried, repeadately to get them to come good for the repairs, I first got the run around and then completed ignored altogether. My brother-in-law drove the car to searail in BC from Victoria, about an hours drive and never had any problems with it. So they did the damage but never wanted to take responsibility. My advice find someone or a company who is not out to just get the money and give absolutely no service after they have your money !! I have the proof that they caused this damage and I ahve contacted a lawyer, it would have been cheaper for them to just fix this up but they decided that a the customer is never right !!

Cofixer
06-09-2008, 02:07 AM
Hi, I know that this original posting was started quite a while ago and I just added the post above, BUT I think everyone should be warned about SeaRail. I wish I would have found out this kind of information when I shipped my car. It's been three years and I still haven't got any money back to cover all the costs invovled (repairs, lawyers, telephone calls, etc...). I personally can't afford to get the lawyer to do much more than he has already done, because I am disabled and am on a fixed income. It sure would be nice if there was a group action done against these unethical people. Or even if we had some kind of government agency to go after companies like SeaRail for lying and cheating people out of our money. My repairs alone cost me close to $1200.00, add to that a bill from the mechanic in Moncton who did the best he could just to make the car drivable, and lawyers don't come cheap either, even if they just make a phone call or write a couple of letters. Then there is the personal phone calls and all the time trying to get through to the (laugh) claims department, the managers, the owners and of course all the STRESS. My advice: search the internet, BBB and wherever else you can to get the facts about any of these companies. From what I have found, I guess I should have gone with Hansens. Thank you for letting me vent.