PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever taken Art Histoy at the UofC?

Mckenzie
12-23-2003, 08:07 PM
lol.... :D

I just found out that I dont need a senoir level option and that I can take any non-management course that is offered.

Art History 203

Art History 203 H(3-0)

Survey of Western Art in its Cultural Context: Proto-Renaissance to Neo-Classicism

A chronological examination of art and architecture (with some reference to the other arts) in relation to significant historical and cultural events from about 1300 to about 1800.

There is also a sociology 201 course that I can get into.

Any thoughts on this class or any others that might be easy GPA boosters? :)

Weapon_R
12-23-2003, 08:15 PM
Soci 201 - test bank kind of tests, you could get a nice mark just by getting some of the old copy center tests :D

Gainsbarre
12-23-2003, 09:12 PM
Several people have told me NOT to take any art history courses. I didn't probe for specific reason why though. SOCI 201 would be a good choice..try to get into Linda Henderson's class.

importgirl
12-23-2003, 09:26 PM
art history is interesting if you are into artsy stuff, but it can get boring. i took 201, but i havent heard much about art history 203 exactly

i took it my first year and i found the exams to be brutal. my prof only had 2 exams. 1 midterm and 1 final both worth 50% each ... so it doesnt give you the opportunity to screw up. and the textbooks are sooooo expensive.

girlRACER
12-23-2003, 11:29 PM
I took ARHI 203. It is really interesting but a lot of stuff to memorize. For the midterms and exams they will put up a slide of a painting and sculpture for 30 minutes and you have to write about all the symbolism in one page or so. It's not hard. The book for that course is quite expensive and big though.

I would suggest taking the ARHI for African Art. That course doesn't require pre-req's and it is an easy 'A'.

thich
12-23-2003, 11:50 PM
unless u are into that kinda stuff, i doubt you should take it.
I'm an "artsy" type person but I wanna stray from that kinda stuff -- information is too dry.

take stuff you find interesting (at the very least) and also stuff that you may find useful.
I took a bunch of East Asian courses and some East Asian History courses so far b/c i enjoy it and i want to take it for enrichment.

Davetronz
12-24-2003, 12:34 AM
My girlfriend just finished ARHI203. She said it was a lot of memorizing and an expensive text book. She didnt go to any classes but still feels that she did "alright"....

I looked through the text book and there wasnt enough nudity to keep me interested for more than 10 mins.

However the ACAD first year Art History book kept me busy at WORK for about 25 mins ;)

girlRACER
12-24-2003, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by FastDak318
My girlfriend just finished ARHI203. She said it was a lot of memorizing and an expensive text book. She didnt go to any classes but still feels that she did "alright"....

That's exactly what I said 2 posts above :confused: In that course it is not necessary to have the textbook. I never read mine because we only had to study our lecture notes.

Mckenzie
12-24-2003, 01:44 AM
Thanx for all of the input guys. I have also heard the text is expensive for the ARHI courses.

I think I am going to try to get into SOCI 201.

:)

AquamosH
12-24-2003, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by Gainsbarre
try to get into Linda Henderson's class.

She was an awesome prof, too bad she was fired though. :thumbsdow

Try to get Manzo for Soci. I hear he's also an excellent prof.

Gainsbarre
12-24-2003, 09:49 AM
Check out the InfoNet

SOCI 201, Lecture 3
Winter session, MWF 12pm-1pm
Is being taught by Linda Henderson. (Unless of course, there's somebody else with the exact same initials teaching sociology, which is kind of unlikely)

Of course, it's the only lecture section that's full...but I wouldn't take the course from any other prof.

Mckenzie
12-24-2003, 10:24 AM
Yeah lecture 3 with Henderson is full. There are other lectures open, but no room in the tutorial....so that kinda sucks...

What do you guys think about ARKY?

I just registered in 205. :dunno:

AquamosH
12-24-2003, 02:44 PM
Hmmm, I guess she wasn't fired after all. I know a lot of people signed a petition for her to stay, didn't think it would actually work though. :)

Weapon_R
12-24-2003, 04:28 PM
Why was she originally going to be fired anyways?

AquamosH
12-24-2003, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Why was she originally going to be fired anyways?

The usual reason: cutbacks.

importgirl
12-24-2003, 07:11 PM
arky isnt a bad choice either
the junior classes are fairly boring and has a lot of material to keep up with. (just think of all the dates and time periods)

i took arky 201 and it was alright. there was a lab though ... but arky can be a good course to continue with. i took arky 343 (ancient maya civilization) just this last semester. it was a fairly easy course and it was really interesting too.

Lagerstatten
12-24-2003, 11:45 PM
I took both Art History 201 and 203, and out of the two, I would recommend taking 203. That is if it's still with Dr. Bershad. He's just an amazing prof who goes out of his time to make the class enjoyable.

When I took it last year (Winter 2003), I don't believe I ever saw an empty seat in that class. Everyone was there, and everyone was wide awake for the class. The material presented and learned in the class is very interesting. More so than the content of ARHI 201 with Dr. Stocking.

I'm a geology major, so I might be a bit biased, but ARHI 203 was one of the most satisfying courses that I've ever taken at the U of C. If all courses were taught with that much enthusiasm and pride, then maybe there wouldn't be as many drop outs or AP's at the U of C. If I had the time and the money, I'd totally go on a field course with Dr. Bershad to Europe, or just Italy alone.

Basically, my vote goes to ARHI 203. The class is interesting, the prof (if Bershad) is a great prof (even his rounded appearance is easy on the eyes), and you'll learn a lot more than in 201. The textbook may be a bit expensive (I think it was $140), but there are a lot of used copies. But if you attend the class, take good notes, and just pay attention like I did...you won't even need the textbook. Most of the pictures can be found online, like the works of Jan Van Eyck, Leonardo, Raphael, all the flemish painters and etc. Just go to www.google.ca, click on images and search for them.

Hope you choose ARHI 203, rather than a course that teaches you nothing besides how to find old exams and just remember the answers to them. Cheers.

Davetronz
12-25-2003, 02:32 AM
Linda Henderson was the BEST U of C prof that I had.... AWESOME!