PDA

View Full Version : Contemplating double major...(Bcomm+???)

iahbrip
08-31-2010, 04:03 PM
Hey everybody, I'm a current Haskyane student considering a double major. I will probably specialize in Acct or Finance, and I'm considering adding a BA in Economics or a BA in Psychology to complement it. The other alternative is doing a minor instead...So basically the argument is double major VS major+minor...

I know that Psyc probably wouldn't complement a Bcomm well, but I find it quite interesting as a side subject. However I'm not looking for a position in HR so maybe it would be useless ultimately?

Econ seems like a perfectly fitting degree, but it has been 2 years since I took Econ 203, and it is something I would need to work at ALOT, as it isn't my strong point. However I am willing to do what I need to do.

The alternative is to perhaps minor in Finance if I major in Accounting, or vice versa.

I believe that a double major would be a solid choice, possibly opening future opportunities for me, so right now I'm pretty torn between all these choices. Since I am planning to do an MBA afterwards, maybe I would be fine just sticking to one degree? I want to have the upper edge. I understand that the time it will take to gain all these different qualifications could perhaps be used more valuable gaining real world experience and networking, but I am willing to take a little extra time...

Any input beyonders? This is stressing me out alot lately for some reason haha. I have done some research online aswell as talking to academic counselors, but to be honest I usually learn alot more lurking beyond so I figured I would ask!

gyu
09-01-2010, 03:10 AM
Are you into math? If you are, actuarial science might be something to consider.

t-im
09-01-2010, 07:53 AM
Haskayne doesn't allow double concentrations right?

Major in Accounting and do a lot of courses in Finance (or vice versa?)

xttxt
09-01-2010, 08:20 AM
do you have an idea of your potential future career? what kind of position do you want to hold? what industry do you want to work in? where do you want to work geographically?

finishing with a B. Comm in Accounting, did you consider getting an accounting designation? CGA, CMA, CA?

if you really are considering your MBA, what grad schools would you potentially apply to? (every grad school has different requirements, a lot of grad schools require x amount of years of experience)

i think you need to have longer-term outlook on where you want to be or what you want to be doing (in 5, 10, 20 years) to determine what kind of education/experience will best help get you there.

Gainsbarre
09-01-2010, 08:24 AM
Few things.

1. You can't do a minor in economics or statistics if you're completing a BComm. A joint degree program with a BComm and a BA in economics is possible (I completed such a program back in 2007)

2. Only one concentration is allowed in the BComm program

3. I didn't bother with minor programs because with only 5 FCE more you can get a second degree. Minors are only mentioned on your transcript (i.e. no certificate for them) so they are pretty useless imo.

DUBBED
09-01-2010, 08:25 AM
Here's the important question, what do you see yourself doing in 10 years?

If doing a double major or major/minor will help you get to that point then it may be worth it. If it won't, ie. since you'll be doing a MBA anyway, then why not just enjoy your time in university??

That being said if you want to do it purely out of the enjoyment of learning thats okay too, but I think there's valuable ways of doing that without taking on extra courses.

Have you looked into investment clubs or case competitions? Real world shit like that will open more doors for you than being able to say you crushed finance/accounting.

bcylau
09-01-2010, 09:33 AM
A buddy of mine when Bcomm and BSc Engg with Oil and Gas. That is a very solid choice. Then start studying for CFA on your 4th year. If you are looking into finance, comp sci is also a solid choice.

statick
09-01-2010, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by t-im
Haskayne doesn't allow double concentrations right?

Major in Accounting and do a lot of courses in Finance (or vice versa?)

I would say do either of these. Once you've taken a few courses from each of these two concentrations, you may have a better idea of which one you'd like to finish.

Since you are quite intent on getting an MBA, I don't think you should worry too much about getting in some extra undergraduate schooling. Most Accounting majors find themselves wanting to work towards a CMA or CA and, in my experience, having another undergraduate degree will almost certainly not make or break your chances of getting an entry-level CMA/CA position.

The case may not be the same for many Finance positions. In fact, a few of the successful investment/commercial bankers I know have an Economics, Actuarial Science or Mathematics undergraduate degree to complement their B. Comm in Finance and CFA. That being said, I know of many who are in the industry with only a B. Comm in Finance and a CFA.

Gainsbarre, perhaps you can elaborate on the effect your undergraduate in Economics has had on your career prospects.

Of course, knowing exactly into which career you want to go will clarify which major(s) are best suited towards you. Might I ask why you are drawn to either Finance or Accounting?

Going ahead with something like Psychology as your second undergraduate degree is nice to do, but I am certainly one to say that some real world experience, either in your chosen career field or in something sheerly out of interest, is time better spent. As was mentioned before, a minor doesn't add too much value, so don't spend too much of your time on it. But if you can squeeze it in with your major, go for it.

Ebon
09-05-2010, 02:11 AM
I would not bother with a minor. Doesn't seem to add a lot of value since the UofC doesn't let you minor in anything complementary for a finance/acct major.

I'm majoring in finance and doing a ton of accounting courses. I'm considering doing all the accounting requirements for a CA in case i have the opportunity to get that designation.

My reasoning is that many bankers seem to seem to care that your degree actually says finance when handing out interviews (or at least finance + something else). I didn't run into anyone that didn't all into that category when I did my interviews.

Accounting firms just need the classes for the CA/CMA designations. I know a few finance majors that are finishing up summer internships at the big 4.