PDA

View Full Version : Mad cow in Washington state!

ninjak84
12-23-2003, 08:10 PM
I'm down here on vacation for Christmas, and there's been a case of mad cow disease discovered on a farm in the south.
Already Japan (the largest importer of American beef) has put a nationwide ban on all American beef.

Karma is a killer!

Weapon_R
12-23-2003, 08:17 PM
Let's see if the Canadians ban american beef now :rolleyes:

hjr
12-23-2003, 09:02 PM
does canada import american beef?

but totally, karma is a bitch

fast_cars
12-23-2003, 09:06 PM
hahahahh!!
is that true???
that is crazY!!
I believe in karma now!

Weapon_R
12-23-2003, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by hjr

but totally, karma is a bitch

:D ...no clue. But IF they do...haha

4G63Power
12-23-2003, 11:18 PM
here is the story...but yeah karma's a bitch :)

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/12/23/mad.cow/index.html

KoukiS14
12-23-2003, 11:35 PM
:drama:

Karma is a bitch

rx7girlie
12-23-2003, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Let's see if the Canadians ban american beef now :rolleyes:

Read that Canadian Food Inspection Agency said it has no immediate plans to close Canada's border to beef from U.S.

thich
12-23-2003, 11:53 PM
i wonder if the USA will screw Japan now or not

kaput
12-24-2003, 12:27 AM

Weapon_R
12-24-2003, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by thich
i wonder if the USA will screw Japan now or not

I don't think so. Most governments try and avoid retaliatory trade wars as it ends up causing severe damage to both countries - and given the magnitude of these two nations, I doubt that the U.S. would even try.

4wheeldrift
12-24-2003, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by kaput
Canada better fuck them just as hard if not harder, what kind of a message would it send if we don't?? Well, the big question is how much good can it do if we don't import much US beef? Canada by far has more beef leaving the nation than coming back in from elsewhere. Banning US beef would be a good move anyways, we already got burnt once no point tempting fate.

sputnik
12-24-2003, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by hjr

Canada imports quite a bit of US beef. It is not uncommon for cattle to be raised in the US and be slaughtered in Canada (and vice versa).

hjr
12-24-2003, 06:38 PM
i think the N/A beef industry is quite interdependent, which is why is was a hard rough fucking in the ass to canada when the US shut the border. It is (was) not an industry that the 49th parallel really mattered to, until a few months ago...

finboy
12-27-2003, 12:08 PM
well, acording to cnn the cow was born in alberta and shipped to the states in 2001, great, now they're blaming canada again.:thumbsdow

JennyLee
12-27-2003, 02:37 PM
there trying to say that the cow was imported from canada...big fucking surprise, blame canada once again

rogue
12-27-2003, 02:48 PM
once again STUPID ASSES cant take responsibility for their own problems. It is getting so damn :banghead: if you know what i mean.

rage2
12-27-2003, 05:51 PM
Canada claims their records do not show that the cow came from Canada... it'll be interesting to see what happens as the facts unfold.

Remember the east coast power blackout a few months ago? US was quick to point the finger at Canada. In the end, it was US problems that caused the huge blackout.

Seanith
12-27-2003, 06:19 PM
It will be interesting to see how this pans out.

davidI
12-27-2003, 07:05 PM
Where was that original case of mad cow from a while ago? I thought that cow was from teh U.S. but maybe it was Saskatoon?

rage2
12-27-2003, 07:13 PM
The original case was in Alberta, where the cow came from Saskatchewan. A few ppl claimed that the cow was imported from Montana (therefore blaming the US), but it was the other way around. A bunch of Montana cows came from Saskatchewan where the BSE infected cow came from.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?pagename=article&node=&contentId=A15259-2003Jun4&notFound=true

FiveFreshFish
12-27-2003, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by JennyLee
there trying to say that the cow was imported from canada...big fucking surprise, blame canada once again

Yes, and this is all based on preliminary information according to the US official. Why do they even mention something if they're not sure yet?

Ben
12-27-2003, 07:58 PM
How typical!

Fuck, this is all I have to say:

:rolleyes:

Sheila: Times have changed, our kids are getting worse..
They won't obey their parents, they just want to fart and curse!
Should we blame the Government? Or Blame Society?
Or should we blame the images on TV?

All: No, Blame Canada! Blame Canada!
With all their beaty little eyes, their flapping heads so full of lies!
Blame Canada! Blame Canada!
We need to form a full assault, It's Canada's Fault!

Sharon: Don't blame me, for my son Stan..
He saw the darn cartoon, and now he's off to join the clan!
And my boy Eric once had my picture on his shelf..
But now when he sees me, he tells me to fuck myself!

All: Well? Blame Canada! Blame Canada!
It seems that everything's gone wrong since Canada came along..
They're not even a real country anyway.

Mrs. McCormick: My son could've been a doctor or a lawyer, rich and true..
Instead he burned up like a piggy on a Barbecue.
Should we blame the matches? Should we blame the fire?
Or the Doctors who allowed him to expire?

All: Heck no, Blame Canada! Blame Canada!
With their hockey hullabaloo, and that bitch Anne Murray, too!
Blame Canada! Shame on Canada..
For, the smut we must stop.. the trash we must smash..
The laugher and fun.. must all be undone..
We must blame them.. and cause a fuss..
before somebody thinks of blaming us!

Zephyr
12-27-2003, 09:39 PM
i wonder if i should be worried of this..........

FiveFreshFish
12-27-2003, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by Zephyr
i wonder if i should be worried of this..........

Only if you work in a field related to the beef industry.

Zephyr
12-27-2003, 09:53 PM
i heard that supply may have gotten out into the market so its like a gamble... ill just eat lamb and chicken for now

rage2
12-27-2003, 11:22 PM
Unless laws were broken, the beef would not go out into the market.

AFAIK, downed animals from unknown causes cannot be sold as food. Also, the brain and spinal cord (and other BSE infected materials) cannot be made into food either. That's what I heard from the news reports anyways.

tc3
12-27-2003, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by Ben
How typical!

Fuck, this is all I have to say:

:rolleyes:

Ben....LOL:tongue:
Thats exactly what I thought when I heard the U.S. stating "The Cow was Canadian!"
WTF did the cow have a canadian passport or birth certificate on him?!?

Zephyr
12-27-2003, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by rage2

AFAIK, downed animals from unknown causes cannot be sold as food. Also, the brain and spinal cord (and other BSE infected materials) cannot be made into food either. That's what I heard from the news reports anyways.

oh cool now i feel a bit better

rage2
12-27-2003, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by tc3
Ben....LOL:tongue:
Thats exactly what I thought when I heard the U.S. stating "The Cow was Canadian!"
WTF did the cow have a canadian passport or birth certificate on him?!?
haha they track imports and exports religiously, so technically, that cow DID have it's birth certificate on him :).

tc3
12-28-2003, 12:01 AM

haha they track imports and exports religiously, so technically, that cow DID have it's birth certificate on him :).

And you know, If it comes right down to it!! The U.S. will come up with a stamped passport, birth certificate and anything else they want to make their case!! That is, of course, right after they find those Weapons of Mass Destruction!!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

It must be nice to live in a country that seems to never be in the wrong?!?!

4wheeldrift
12-28-2003, 12:42 AM

AFAIK, downed animals from unknown causes cannot be sold as food. Also, the brain and spinal cord (and other BSE infected materials) cannot be made into food either. That's what I heard from the news reports anyways. They can in the states, the US is currently the only developed nation that allows it. A downed animal in the states can be slaughtered before the results from the tests come back :eek: The US is also one of few nations to allow old dairy cattle to be slaughtered for meat for human consumption. If I were you, Zephyr I'd be calling my congressman ;)

inawiJ
12-28-2003, 12:59 AM
man all the US does is blame canada its so stupid they should start takin responsibility for their own actions

ninjak84
12-28-2003, 01:11 AM
I was so choked to hear that the US is blaming Canada for this.
Initially, the farmer did interviews for the local news saying that it was his cow, and that the calfs have been spread to other local farms. He also said that the food he used to feed the cows (made in America) was to blame.
Since the bullshit about Canada started, he hasn't left his farm and won't speak to reporters anymore :rolleyes:
It's such a shit-show down there now.
Mexico, Japan, and Korea all refuse to take beef from America.
The FDA has so many stories about the farm, it can't even keep track of them all.

In Alberta, we sucked it up, swallowed our losses, and got through it.
In Washington, the fuckers are just trying to cover it up and place blame.

But no matter how hard the government tries to make it go away, it won't. I think the citizens and media are going to do more damage than the government can repair. Already there's been an instant drop in beef purchasing, and even returns. Instead of the locals supporting eachother to work through it, they're importing beef from overseas! (from places like New Zealand, being the most popular)

It's good to be back in Canada.

Zephyr
12-28-2003, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by inawiJ
man all the US does is blame canada its so stupid they should start takin responsibility for their own actions

United States of America: Either we bomb you, or we blame you. http://69.56.235.42/forums/images/smilies/usa.gif

FiveFreshFish
12-28-2003, 02:00 AM
This is bad news for both Canada and the US. It'll hurt both countries economically, no matter who gets blamed.

Other beef producing and exporting countries are not going to be so open about any diseased cows after they've seen the swift knee-jerk reactions of countries banning importation of American and Canadian beef. I'd be more worried about the beef in other countries.

Zephyr
12-28-2003, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
This is bad news for both Canada and the US. It'll hurt both countries economically, no matter who gets blamed.

Other beef producing and exporting countries are not going to be so open about any diseased cows after they've seen the swift knee-jerk reactions of countries banning importation of American and Canadian beef. I'd be more worried about the beef in other countries.

wow i never thought of that...wow that is kinda scary too, not every country has strict laws about their meat quality

A_3
12-29-2003, 02:46 PM
What's really stupid is, sure the cow might have come from Canada, but it could have contracted mad cow in the states, the States are just looking for the easy way out like always, i got back from there two days ago and Canada is the fall out for everything down there, it's ridiculous

sputnik
12-29-2003, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Zephyr
i heard that supply may have gotten out into the market so its like a gamble... ill just eat lamb and chicken for now

Unless you are eating raw meat of the cows brain or nervous system... there is no need to worry.

There has never been a connection to the human form of BSE because the person ate beef

Toma
12-31-2003, 09:28 PM
woohooo!! Cheap Steaks again!!! :poosie:

T5_X
12-31-2003, 10:09 PM

What does AFAIK stand for? Anyway, that law was JUST implemented in response to the case in Washington, so no laws were broken.

And FYI, the BSE infected cow in Canada never made it into the human food chain, unlike the US.

lam-boy
12-31-2003, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by T5_X

What does AFAIK stand for? Anyway, that law was JUST implemented in response to the case in Washington, so no laws were broken.

And FYI, the BSE infected cow in Canada never made it into the human food chain, unlike the US.

afaik

as far as i know.

rice_eater
01-03-2004, 05:02 AM
Originally posted by tc3

That is, of course, right after they find those Weapons of Mass Destruction!!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

It must be nice to live in a country that seems to never be in the wrong?!?!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbsup:

i'm not at all surprised that the americans are blaming us for the cow...fuck them...we where actually nice enough to treat them like we would have liked to be treated when we had our mad cow problem...what does that get us? Well it's getting us fucked that's for sure. I'm suprised they even brought it up. I am willing to bet that any mad cow cases in the states are being quickly covered up...greedy cocksmokers:guns:

SwitchBlade
01-03-2004, 02:59 PM
They have the first case in a human too, watch them pawn that one off on us :thumbsdow

itsalebaron
01-06-2004, 11:14 PM
LOL funny this thread dies when the actual DNA evidence is confirmed by US AND Canada that the cow WAS Canadian.

T5_X
01-06-2004, 11:20 PM
The fact the the cow was born in Canada does not prove anything, since BSE is contracted by the diet of the cow.

itsalebaron
01-06-2004, 11:22 PM
The US was just saying the cow CAME from Canada .. and that is what they prvoed correct :thumbsup:

szw
01-07-2004, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by rice_eater

I am willing to bet that any mad cow cases in the states are being quickly covered up...greedy cocksmokers:guns:

Just as I'm sure there will be covered up cases in Canada as well.

rx7girlie
01-07-2004, 02:15 PM
isn't there something now about a second cow?

Yesterday went to go buy dog food for my dog, and there was cloes to nothing left. Supposedly dog food (and probably other stff) aren't allowed to come through on account of Mad Cow??

rage2
01-07-2004, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by T5_X
The fact the the cow was born in Canada does not prove anything, since BSE is contracted by the diet of the cow.
And takes approx. 4-5 years to show up, meaning the cow was most likely fed bad feed in Canada.

They believe the feed for the Canadian case and the US case may be tied to a single source in Leduc or something. That's what I heard on the radio today.

hjr
01-07-2004, 03:00 PM
i have said this many many times, there was NO canadian and american beef industry until a few months ago (when the border shut down). the was however a NORTHAMERICAN beef industry. everything was sooo intertwined that basically there were no borders to beef. No the US is acting like its our problem. FAWK, its both our problem. Damn, we were stupid to keep feeding cows other cows brain and spinal shit. The UK stopped for a reason, but noooo, we dont need to stop that, it wont harm us... serves us right. (and by us i mean North america)

rice_eater
01-08-2004, 02:44 AM
caught a glimpse today on the cover of the sun i think, that Ralph Klein wants all the cows tested for BSE. Why didn't we always do that? Why did we for so many years only scan every i forget how many cows instead of checking all of them. Yeah we saved tons of money by doing that but if we won't have a beef industry anymore what have we really accomplished? Ok so it had been safe for years and we had no reason to expect but after the first case was confirmed they have no excuse for not doing a better job at checkin all the cows. I mean fuck we were hanging by a thread as it was, you'd think that they would at least do a better job for a while untill all this shit settled and the industry got back on its feet. I hope they do start checking all the cows all the time since that may be the only way to get other countries to buy beef from us again, coz it's still not too late for that. Hell pay them to send people over and take part of the screening too; i think the cost of paying a bunch of foreign food inspectors to work here is way less than just sitting on our asses waiting for all the farmers to go broke. fuck i dont know...i may just be ranting on but i hope you get my point

rogue
01-08-2004, 08:21 PM
allright the cow is from northern alberta and was born before the ban on fees that contain ground up cows. The americans are reporting in their papers that we banned this feed practice 2 years after them so they should close the borders for 2 years to be safe (realty show that we banned them in 97 EXACTLY when they did). There is a HUGE chance that the feed that gave the cow bse was from the US since we inspect EVERY mill in canada at least once a year. There were 19 mills in Washingtons state alone last year that violated that law that bans the feed that creates bse, and the US doesnt inspect every mill evey year. Canada inspects 5000 - 8000 cows a year out of around 37 000 that go across the boarder with the US and every downed cow (confirmed to be ill and is extracted from the herd so as not to get into the food chain) is inspected in Canada as for the US 2% of every 100 downed cows are inspected and the rest are ground up for feed for chickens or pork. Now this BSE BS is all about politics and americans wanting to keep their money in the US, so make sure you buy alberta beef, dont throw them your money as they aint doin us any favors. :guns: