PDA

View Full Version : Quick last minute lunch tip

Modelexis
09-01-2010, 12:26 PM
I don't get much time for lunch at work and cannot leave the office so I'm always trying to discover new ways to throw together a quick meal that is relatively:

-Cheap
-Filling
-Clean
-Healthy
-Simple

So here it is, quite simple, grab a frozen Michelina dinner from safeway, my favorite is "fettuccine alfredo" so that's what I chose.

Warm up the dinner, stirring every couple minutes, and while it's cooking, drain a can of boneless/skinless salmon or tuna, and mix the can into the dinner and place back in the microwave for the last 30 seconds or so of cooking time.

You end up with a hearty, healthy, tasty meal that doesn't require you to pack and entire bag of supplies to make.

Flame away, if anyone tries this, let me know what you think.

Degrassi_Wheels
09-01-2010, 12:29 PM
This part made me lol

"You end up with a hearty, healthy, tasty meal"

G
09-01-2010, 12:35 PM
Microwaving canned fish will stink up your office.

GQBalla
09-01-2010, 12:38 PM
tuna salad and crackers (make night before takes 5 minutes)
drain tuna, cut of celery, add with tuna and mayo
crackers in a bag

left overs from dinner before

your lunch will make you fat, all that alfredo sauce every day?

n1zm0
09-01-2010, 12:38 PM
adding a tuna can to michelina's imo does not make it more healthy, alfredo sauce ingredients are pretty much heavy cream, butter... butter, cheese

edit:

INGREDIENTS: COOKED ENRICHED MACARONI PRODUCT (WATER, DURUM SEMOLINA [ENRICHED WITH NIACIN, FERROUS SULFATE, THIAMINE MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN, FOLIC ACID]), HALF AND HALF (MILK AND CREAM), WATER, PARMESAN CHEESE (PASTEURIZED PART SKIM MILK, CULTURES, SALT, ENZYMES), CHEDDAR CHEESE (PASTEURIZED MILK, CHEESE CULTURES, SALT, ENZYMES), LESS THAN 1% OF CHEESE FLAVOR (ENZYME MODIFIED CHEESE AND BUTTER [CHEDDAR CHEESE {MILK, CHEESE CULTURE, SALT, ENZYMES}, BUTTER, CHEESE CULTURE, ENZYMES], WHEY, BUTTERMILK SOLIDS, SALT, SODIUM PHOSPHATE, LACTIC ACID), MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, SALT, MALTODEXTRIN, NATURAL PARMESAN CHEESE FLAVOR (PARMESAN CHEESE [MILK, STARTER CULTURE, SALT, ENZYMES], WATER, SKIM MILK POWDER, SALT), MARGARINE (LIQUID AND HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN OIL, WATER, SALT, VEGETABLE MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, SOY LECITHIN, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, BHA & BHT ADDED TO PROTECT FLAVOR, VITAMIN A PALMITATE AND VITAMIN D3 ADDED), ROMANO CHEESE (PASTEURIZED COW’S MILK, CHEESE CULTURES, SALT, ENZYMES), YEAST EXTRACT, SPICE, XANTHAN GUM, NONFAT DRY MILK, DISODIUM PHOSPHATE. CONTAINS: MILK, SOY, WHEAT

from http://www.michelinas.com/ProductByIngredient_AT_10501_Fettuccine_Alfredo_Pasta.aspx

it does sound liek something good to eat when you don't give a fk tho lol i.e wasted after the bar

arian_ma
09-01-2010, 12:56 PM
If you consider Michelina healthy, you have a LOOOOOT of options out there.

Modelexis
09-01-2010, 01:21 PM
meal that is relatively:

-Cheap
-Filling
-Clean
-Healthy
-Simple

:D

I recognize that it's anything but healthy, but relative to most meals that take ~4-5 minutes to make and contain pasta, and fish, it's actually a decent choice.

I don't think I would/will eat this every day, maybe once a week to fill in a day when I don't have time to prepare something.

schmooot
09-01-2010, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by n1zm0
adding a tuna can to michelina's imo does not make it more healthy, alfredo sauce ingredients are pretty much heavy cream, butter... butter, cheese

edit:

from http://www.michelinas.com/ProductByIngredient_AT_10501_Fettuccine_Alfredo_Pasta.aspx

it does sound liek something good to eat when you don't give a fk tho lol i.e wasted after the bar

not to mention any nutritients that may have been present is now destroyed because you microwaved it.

so cheap and filling? yes
Healthy? nope

Vagabond142
09-01-2010, 04:13 PM
Very fast to make, healthy lunch:

Boil water, place egg into boiling water.

While egg boils away, cut up some brocolli and carrots. Place in container.

Take egg out of boiling water, let cool. Peel off shell, slice into quaters. Remove yolk if desired at this point. Put into container with veggies.

Put in fridge.

Done.

You get natural sugars from the carrot, as well as beta carotene, and brocolli is filled with yummy vitamins and fiber. The egg gives you protein and choline. All in all, a small, but filling and healthy, lunch :D (it's what I have almost every day when working, sometimes accompanied by a light sandwich and a fruit if I am needing a slightly heavier lunch or having two, smaller lunches)

Unknown303
09-01-2010, 04:20 PM
I go with some granola, yogurt, fresh cut melons of various types, berries and other fruit. Any meal or all meals while at work.

mazdavirgin
09-01-2010, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by schmooot
not to mention any nutritients that may have been present is now destroyed because you microwaved it.

:facepalm: Back to science class with you...

copynpaste
09-02-2010, 08:07 PM
chunky soup and a can of heinz beans and wieners with pork fat would be a decent meal

Modelexis
09-06-2010, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Vagabond142
Very fast to make, healthy lunch:

Boil water, place egg into boiling water.

While egg boils away, cut up some brocolli and carrots. Place in container.

Take egg out of boiling water, let cool. Peel off shell, slice into quaters. Remove yolk if desired at this point. Put into container with veggies.

Put in fridge.

Done.

You get natural sugars from the carrot, as well as beta carotene, and brocolli is filled with yummy vitamins and fiber. The egg gives you protein and choline. All in all, a small, but filling and healthy, lunch :D (it's what I have almost every day when working, sometimes accompanied by a light sandwich and a fruit if I am needing a slightly heavier lunch or having two, smaller lunches)

This recipe gave me some ideas on how to put together a similar meal and so I picked a few things that I thought would work well together and tried my hand.

-3 eggs, in cold water, brought to a boil and dropped to a lower temp for about 8mins
-3 celery sticks cut into pieces
-1 green bell pepper (1 full pepper) cut into pieces
-a generous spoon full of crab/seafood salad
-some crab meat

Mixed it altogether into a sort of salad looking concoction.
not very filling, could have had 6 eggs instead of only 3, but it was ok for a first run.

maybe fish mixed into the salad in the future?

StreetRacerX
09-06-2010, 09:32 PM
I used to always eat from fast food restaurants/drive thru's since I'm a service Plumber, but later on I decided it would be a hell of a lot healthier and cost effective if I made my lunch at home.

I usually pack 2 Gatorade for liquids

And a sandwich that consists of at least 3 slices of meat, a slice of cheese, lettuce, and some mayo or mustard. Then I usually throw a snack or two like granola bars or those protein bars(the kind that don't taste as bad).

I used to spend roughly $20-30 a day on fast food crap, now its maybe $6-8 depending on what I toss in with the sandwich, there's also considerably less grease in the packed lunchs in comparison to fast food, it takes me less than 10 minutes to make my lunch for the following day.

EDIT: Also for sandwich fill, you can mix a few cans of tuna in with a bit of mayonnaise toss in some diced onion, add pepper and voila!

Rat Fink
09-06-2010, 11:26 PM

Modelexis
09-07-2010, 11:30 AM
I took a picture of the lunch I made last night to be eaten at work today...

Looks good right?

Mazstyle
09-07-2010, 11:39 AM
^^^ looks pretty good!

I like to make large suppers so I just take leftovers (pasta's always good) Also whenever I cook meat say bbq chicken breasts I always make a couple extra - so many uses. I do a lot of spinach salads with chicken.

Chunky soup is my back up, I just eat it cold right outta the can when I'm pressed for time.

bituerbo
09-07-2010, 12:26 PM
Watch for sodium in baked beans and canned soups. Some great suggestions here, I haven't made spaghetti and meat sauce for myself in a while! I love loading it up with veggies, as you can't even taste em'.

Modelexis that looks good!
Lettuce is the enemy of a good salad!

A790
09-07-2010, 10:51 PM
Best place for a decent and fast lunch? Safeway. Seriously.

FraserB
09-09-2010, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by A790
Best place for a decent and fast lunch? Safeway. Seriously.

x2!

Tried one of those grilled paninis the other day. Soooo good:drool: One of those, a juice and a cookie ran about $10 out the door.