PDA

View Full Version : Gunman holding hostages at Discovery Channel HQ

dino_martini
09-01-2010, 02:14 PM
Apparently this guy has had gripes against Discovery before. He has a manifesto, about saving the planet. Unconfirmed number of hostages, apparently he has a gun and may have a bomb.

jjmac
09-01-2010, 02:22 PM
His Manifesto

Discovery Channel MUST broadcast to the world their commitment to save the planet and to do the following IMMEDIATELY:

1. have daily television programs at prime time slots based on Daniel Quinn's "My Ishmael" pages 207-212

2. All programs on Discovery Health-TLC must stop encouraging the birth of any more parasitic human infants and the false heroics behind those actions.

3. All programs promoting War and the technology behind those must cease.

4. Civilization must be exposed for the filth it is.

5. Immigration: Programs must be developed to find solutions to stopping ALL immigration pollution and the anchor baby filth that follows that.

6. Find solutions for Global Warming, Automotive pollution, International Trade, factory pollution, and the whole blasted human economy.

7. Develop shows that mention the Malthusian sciences about how food production leads to the overpopulation of the Human race.

8. Saving the Planet means saving what's left of the non-human Wildlife by decreasing the Human population.

9. Develop shows that will correct and dismantle the dangerous US world economy.

10. Stop all shows glorifying human birthing on all your channels and on TLC.

11. You're also going to find solutions for unemployment and housing.

---

I want Discovery Communications to broadcast on their channels to the world their new program lineup and I want proof they are doing so. I want the new shows started by asking the public for inventive solution ideas to save the planet and the remaining wildlife on it.

These are the demands and sayings of Lee.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/americas/gunman-takes-hostage-at-us-network/article1692753/

kevie88
09-01-2010, 02:22 PM
Crazy people are fucking crazy.

dino_martini
09-01-2010, 02:29 PM
I would be happy if discovery/tlc stopped brodcasting shit like "19 kids and counting". Otherwise, that manifesto is quite strange. Hopefully no one is seriously injured or killed during this incident.

know1edge
09-01-2010, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by jjmac
His Manifesto

11. You're also going to find solutions for unemployment and housing.

wut

e31
09-01-2010, 02:37 PM
This asshole should look in the mirror before he sprouts off on items: 2, 4 & 5

http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/threatlevel/2010/09/Screen-shot-2010-09-01-at-12.22.16-PM.png

bubbley
09-01-2010, 02:38 PM
what a dick

Cos
09-01-2010, 02:40 PM
http://goodbadandugly2.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/crazy-peeps.jpg

BerserkerCatSplat

4. Civilization must be exposed for the filth it is.

See: The Internet. Job done!

Degrassi_Wheels
I agree with his stance on Jon and Kate plus 8.

Party on

arian_ma
09-01-2010, 02:43 PM
What does he think it is that the Discovery Channel does to be able to find a solution to Global Warming, stop Immigrants, and find solutions for unemployment???

sillysod
09-01-2010, 02:44 PM
"Ka-Boom" deeyada....

Zephyr
09-01-2010, 03:00 PM

2. All programs on Discovery Health-TLC must stop encouraging the birth of any more parasitic human infants and the false heroics behind those actions.

6. Find solutions for Global Warming, Automotive pollution, International Trade, factory pollution, and the whole blasted human economy.

10. Stop all shows glorifying human birthing on all your channels and on TLC.

I agree with those, I guess anyone who watches TLC would go crazy too. I swear didn't TLC stand for "The Learn Channel"? wtf happened to that?!

Enhance
09-01-2010, 03:00 PM
Rick Sanchez on CNN right now is by far the worst news anchor I have ever seen. He misinterprets the entire situation and goes off on random tangents. I'm kind of interested to see how this turns out, but it's not worth listening to this douche.

syeve
09-01-2010, 03:01 PM
I agree with 8-9-10

Party on.

BerserkerCatSplat
09-01-2010, 03:18 PM
Full manifesto:

http://tmz.vo.llnwd.net/o28/newsdesk/tmz_documents/0901_demands.pdf

Kloubek
09-01-2010, 03:22 PM
He has been shot, and hostages are safe.

bubbley
09-01-2010, 03:27 PM
they shot him?? Seems like an over reaction.

JRSC00LUDE
09-01-2010, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
He has been shot, and hostages are safe.

Guy was likely a PETA card bearing, David Suzuki worshipping vegan. Good riddance.

Feruk
09-01-2010, 03:28 PM
At least it wasn't during Shark Week, that would've sucked!

Kloubek
09-01-2010, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by bubbley

Is my sarcasm meter broken? He has a gun an explosives. Should they have opted to talk in a really stern tone instead?

GenerationX
09-01-2010, 03:29 PM
:guns:

GenerationX
09-01-2010, 03:30 PM
At least the SWAT team from the Philippines wasn't involved...

JfuckinC
09-01-2010, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by GenerationX
At least the SWAT team from the Philippines wasn't involved...

:eek:

CUG
09-01-2010, 03:37 PM
Protip: Don't stand near a window if you're running this game.

Degrassi_Wheels
09-01-2010, 03:38 PM

totally eh

spike98
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
Full manifesto:

http://tmz.vo.llnwd.net/o28/newsdesk/tmz_documents/0901_demands.pdf

After reading this i can't say that i have to dissagree with anything. They way he tries to send his messege is crazy talk but the actual messege i got from it is something i can say i am for.

*flame-suit on*

JRSC00LUDE

Agreed, they should have let him shoot a couple folks first to make sure he was serious.

Sugarphreak
09-01-2010, 03:41 PM

Zephyr
09-01-2010, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Or they could have tried throwing a glow stick in at him while smashing in the windows one at a time with a sledge hammer.

And make sure that sledgehammer hits one of the hostages first.

Unknown303
09-01-2010, 03:50 PM
I would have shot him. But tried to headshot a hostage too.

DOUBLEKILL!!!!

in*10*se
09-01-2010, 03:51 PM
you know matrix said it right...

Agent Smith: I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species and I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment but you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed and the only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. You're a plague and we are the cure.

iCreep
09-01-2010, 03:53 PM
dudes, thats totally uncalled for!!! They should of tried to talk him down! The swat team responsible should of instead scaled down the building, use suction cups to climb UP the building, have 3-4 media helicopters flying over to give a live feed to the captor inside the building so that he could stay informed as to what was happening outside. GOD, stupid americans. :facepalm:

edit: AHHH fucking too slow. all the flip swat jokes are out there already. my bad.

kevie88
09-01-2010, 04:02 PM
Hooray!!

nobb
09-01-2010, 04:04 PM
I actually agree with his demands and if you think about it, they makes perfect sense. Unfortunately they are completely unrealistic and so are his methods of delivering the message. Likely nothing will be accomplished. Society is not going to change overnight into utopia.

Sugarphreak
09-01-2010, 05:56 PM

derpderp
09-01-2010, 06:16 PM
Discovery channel: elite think tank

Also the Discovery Channel decided to take his advice, first order of events was to try and reduce population, so they killed this guy first, 1 down 6'000'000'000 to go.

mobius
09-01-2010, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by derpderp
Discovery channel: elite think tank

Also the Discovery Channel decided to take his advice, first order of events was to try and reduce population, so they killed this guy first, 1 down 6'000'000'000 to go.

Damn, you beat me to it. He requested a reduction in human population, they started with him. Which is fine by me, I hate pushy hypocrites.

derpderp
09-01-2010, 06:50 PM
Counter-Terrorist win!

beyond_ban
09-01-2010, 06:56 PM
Any details on how they got him? And has he been confirmed shot and killed?

badatusrnames
09-01-2010, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by spike98

After reading this i can't say that i have to dissagree with anything. They way he tries to send his messege is crazy talk but the actual messege i got from it is something i can say i am for.

*flame-suit on*

He's a crazy, but he's also touching on a solution that would easily make a lot of the environmental issues we're facing go away - population control.

Too bad it's an issue loaded with emotion that can't be touched with a ten foot pole, and we'd rather try to chase down dead-end and far fetched solutions to problems that would easily be solved by not filling this planet to the brim with people.

HiTempguy1
09-01-2010, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by beyond_ban
And has he been confirmed shot and killed?

This ain't Israel ya know... ZING!

Modelexis
09-01-2010, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by badatusrnames
population control.

The term "population control" is a euphemism for state sanctioned genocide.
You won't catch me on board with this notion.

Sugarphreak
09-01-2010, 10:17 PM

4lti
09-01-2010, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Modelexis

:rofl: :rofl:

Rhystar
09-01-2010, 10:27 PM
he shoulda just divided by zero

Jay911
09-01-2010, 10:29 PM
The next episode of Dirty Jobs is going to rock. "In this episode, Mike cleans blood off the receptionist's desk."

Modelexis
09-01-2010, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
There are non-lethal methods of population control; a good example of that is China with their 1-child policy. I believe that Germany also targets a zero growth population.

So what is the punishment for breaking this rule?
The non-lethal 'population control' might not be genocide, but it's state sanctioned force against child birth.
Some twisted people might like the government to hold a gun to their head to make sure they obey the child birth rules, but not me.

We don't need population control, we need to stop giving aid and government subsidies to new mothers.

Sugarphreak
09-01-2010, 11:18 PM

Modelexis
09-01-2010, 11:29 PM
I just can't seem to find a moral rule in any of this 'population control' theory.

The only parallel I can sort of put together to make sense of this is, the person that supports population control must also support the state limiting food intake to it's population.

If the population started to get generally fatter in size per person, and everyone started eating twice their typical portion, pretty soon you would have the same problem, some people starving because of the food shortage and no more room on trains/subways etc.
So if you apply the population control moral theory to something like food intake, you have to also use the state to prevent people from eating too much food, and you must carry out this law under the threat of force.

I don't know many people that would support a government dictating how much you're allowed to eat per day.

I'm not trying to be difficult, I appreciate your patience with my very limited knowledge of this subject as a whole.
It's a very interesting topic, I'm kinda trying to find out where I stand and where the moral rule lies in this case.

ZenOps
09-02-2010, 08:47 AM
The government does dictate what we eat. So does the free market.

Based on laws and pricing of course. I'd love to be eating hemp brownies with caviar instead of wheat based brownies and bad chicken eggs... But thats not the direction that was decided.

Honestly - they could technically be the same price, especially grown or raised food. What I wouldn't give for a roasted duck to be at the price of a roast chicken.

It was decided a long time ago to limit food production. Not every acre on the planet should be used solely to support human population.

BTW: China has a large population, but India is catching up fast.

1.34 Billion to 1.19 Billion

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_population

White peeps are actually quite the rarity on this planet. Russia with 141 million might be considered mostly white as a nation. Lots of wars and infighting didn't help Europe. Take is easier than make, but its not really long term.

Food production and limiting to one child is not really a problem in Europe. Keeping them from killing each other randomly in the streets with baseball bats seems to be the main issue there. Not to generalize too much. Heck, they bring out the baseball bats when one brother only gets 40 acres and the other 80 acres in this country, lol. *Cough* Pickton *cough* Wiebo *cough*

Modelexis
09-02-2010, 09:15 AM
^ I would love a roast duck as well.

But I wasn't speaking about government dictating what we eat, but rather how much we eat.
If the govt were to set a maximum amount of food per day would be more accurate to what I was saying.
ie. you are only allowed 5 grocery items per day.

badatusrnames
09-02-2010, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by Modelexis

:facepalm: It's people like you I'm talking about.

Natural population control: HAVE FEWER BABIES.

Explosive third world growth is a big elephant in the closet. An educated populace and accessible birth control have seen flat or declining populations in western nations.

We need campaigns to do the same in third world countries. No genocide, no forced sterlization, no taxes or cash incentives - instead, education and accessibility to proper resources.

Modelexis
09-02-2010, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by badatusrnames

:facepalm: It's people like you I'm talking about.

Natural population control: HAVE FEWER BABIES.

Explosive third world growth is a big elephant in the closet. An educated populace and accessible birth control have seen flat or declining populations in western nations.

We need campaigns to do the same in third world countries. No genocide, no forced sterlization, no taxes or cash incentives - instead, education and accessibility to proper resources.

What right do you, or anyone else in the world have to tell people how many kids they should have?
Your gentle 'natural' population control is just an opinion, and no one has any obligations to obey your opinion.
The problem is that people that hold the opinion that they should be able to tell others how to live leads to force, and sanctions and if they have enough power, genocide.
If you tax or charge people for extra kids, what if they choose not to pay your arbitrary fee? are you going to arrest them and throw them in jail?
If you come to their house to arrest them and they defend, are you going to shoot them?
All because they don't agree with your opinion. If you can somehow make a case based on morality for the sanctions on child birth you might be able to put together a case, but I find it had to believe that it's possible to put together a rational moral argument to restrict child birth.

If you personally were born as as a second or third child, you would be arguing for your own non-existence.
I was a second child born, so for me to debate the position of population control, I would essentially be debating my own non-existence.

Sugarphreak
09-02-2010, 01:01 PM