PDA

View Full Version : What's going on at the airport YYC?

sillysod
09-01-2010, 04:17 PM
Ground control has the airport shut down right now. We have our company aircraft coming back and just talked to one of the guys and there is no landing or takeoff. Everybody is running a holding pattern.

Anybody up there know whats going on?

bspot
09-01-2010, 04:27 PM
It's as bad as 9-11 minus 10!

e31
09-01-2010, 04:34 PM
I noticed that they were working on the south runway lighting earlier today. Related maybe?

CUG
09-01-2010, 04:53 PM
I heard a plane ejaculated a large frozen chunk of shit onto the runway. Unconfirmed.

Jay911
09-01-2010, 10:35 PM
I heard on my radio scanner that there was an aircraft coming in with some kind of problems, but I didn't hear what the story was. I live SW of the city and had two inbound flights circling out this way for about 15 minutes until the situation was (apparently) resolved.

Stuff like this happens at the airport all the time. At least once per week there's some kind of aircraft emergency, but well over 99.999% of them are resolved without problem.

syritis
09-02-2010, 02:35 AM
I work near the airport and for the last two days i've seen countless fire trucks head up onto the runsways.
I figured with the paranoia these days the slightest distress of an air craft calls for all hands on deck.
it's nice to know that every firetruck in NE calgary gets tied up for hours for what is usually nothing short of a false alarm.

I thought the airport has their own firetrucks?!?!?!

Tik-Tok
09-02-2010, 03:21 AM
Originally posted by syritis

They do.

Jay911
09-02-2010, 05:12 AM
The airport has six dedicated airport fire fighting vehicles plus one city fire engine. If an aircraft in emergency were to truly need emergency assistance, you need much more than that at hand, which is why a small amount of rigs (not "every firetruck in NE Calgary") is sent to staging points at the airport when a heavy aircraft comes in with a potential emergency situation. They also aren't tied up for "hours" - usually no more than 10 or 15 minutes' worth of standby time, unless something actually does happen with the aircraft in question (which I've already said is extremely rare).

Even then, if a prolonged operation of any kind - not just a call to the airport - left a part of the city "uncovered" in terms of fire apparatus, there are procedures in place to re-shuffle the remaining units to provide optimal coverage with what's left available, and again, this is done all the time, every day.

Tik-Tok
09-02-2010, 07:53 AM
I heard on the radio this morning, that is was a woman who spilled hot coffee on her lap in the airplane, so they made an emergency landing :facepalm:

Feruk
09-02-2010, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by bspot
It's as bad as 9-11 minus 10!

:rofl:

CapnCrunch
09-02-2010, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by syritis
I work near the airport and for the last two days i've seen countless fire trucks head up onto the runsways.
I figured with the paranoia these days the slightest distress of an air craft calls for all hands on deck.
it's nice to know that every firetruck in NE calgary gets tied up for hours for what is usually nothing short of a false alarm.

Answered your own question right there.

derpderp
09-02-2010, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by Jay911
I heard on my radio scanner that there was an aircraft coming in with some kind of problems, but I didn't hear what the story was. I live SW of the city and had two inbound flights circling out this way for about 15 minutes until the situation was (apparently) resolved.

Stuff like this happens at the airport all the time. At least once per week there's some kind of aircraft emergency, but well over 99.999% of them are resolved without problem.

Reminds me of ATC's description of the work environment of an ATC: Hours of total mind numbing boredom mixed in with a few moments of shear terror.

JAYMEZ
09-03-2010, 02:17 AM
I thought they were closing the Airport Firefighter Station soon?

Anyone figure out what the problem was ?

Tik-Tok
09-03-2010, 03:29 AM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ

Anyone figure out what the problem was ?

I wasn't joking.

Originally posted by Tik-Tok
I heard on the radio this morning, that is was a woman who spilled hot coffee on her lap in the airplane, so they made an emergency landing :facepalm: