PDA

View Full Version : How to get your foot in the door (finance/accounting)?

roguetrader
09-01-2010, 07:05 PM
How the heck did you guys get your foot in the door with a reputable company. I've been offered positions in financial services (investors group, etc) and prop trading (swift trade) but don't want to go down that route in the finance industry.

anyway, how do you do it?

Disoblige
09-01-2010, 07:07 PM
Know someone in the field already.

The_Rural_Juror
09-01-2010, 10:16 PM
Send out 2000+ resumes for anything from filing to data entry.

Grogador
09-01-2010, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by roguetrader
I've been offered positions in financial services (investors group, etc) and prop trading (swift trade) but don't want to go down that route in the finance industry.

You don't want to go down "that route" in the FINANCE industry? Seeing how you appear to have some kind of morals, I'd recommend you have a good hard look at your industry of choice. After recently spending three weeks at various banks and investment firms in NYC, Boston, San Francisco, etc. I can tell you they're all the same breed of shit, trapped in their own delusional little world.

Originally posted by The_Rural_Juror

Basically this. Gotta do your ditch bitch time, in any industry.

D-Xu
09-04-2010, 07:50 PM
This site has some pretty good info on ibank recruiting, no matter your background:

http://www.mergersandinquisitions.com/recruiting/

Canucks3322
09-05-2010, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by The_Rural_Juror

Back in 2005, I got my foot in the door of the Accounting world through Accountemps...back then, all the huge corps hired through temp agencies and then if they liked you, they would offer you a permanent position. It's great for people looking for work, they do all the work for you and all they do is charge the company that hires you a cut of your salary.

civic_ek4
09-05-2010, 06:55 PM
I have a few questions:

Define reputable?

Why not take those roles?

What exactly are you looking for?

Ebon
09-05-2010, 07:23 PM
Sounds like you gotta figure out what your looking for first.

needsawhip
09-21-2010, 01:11 AM
Financial world= scum. I am in finance and I can say that ive met 200+ ppl in the industry and I can say that 197 of those ppl are full of chit just tell you what you want to hear crap, And the other 3 and myself are honest and hate our jobs. Sure you can make 100k+ with some hard work but having the whole world look at you like your trying to rip them off is just not worth it. IMO pick another job, Id rather be on the tools then behind my desk hated my 70% of the population.

druffie
09-22-2010, 02:13 AM
CPSC > FNCE