PDA

View Full Version : Flames Goalie Situation

Davetronz
12-24-2003, 12:41 AM
With Kipper having a fucking amazing season, and McLennan giving him support as the backup, what would you like to see when Turek comes off the IR?

Davetronz
12-24-2003, 12:47 AM
I personally think that Turek is a turd. They should trade him and get an experienced centerman or two to add to Calgary's front line.

Kipper has been one of the fundamental reasons that Calgary is where they are right now. He has carried this team on his back from their previous failures and given them a shot at redemption.

McLennan has been strong when he has been needed. Let him keep the backup position. He is still young, and will learn lots being second to a guy like Kipper.

inawiJ
12-24-2003, 12:48 AM
keep kipper turek is done get rid of him

Aleks
12-24-2003, 12:55 AM
Who'll want Turek though? I don't see any team wanting him except maybe maybe Boston Bruins??:dunno:

ryder_23
12-24-2003, 01:04 AM
Kipper played a steller game tonight once again...i say keep him in forsure :thumbsup:

Davetronz
12-24-2003, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by altima
Who'll want Turek though? I don't see any team wanting him except maybe maybe Boston Bruins??:dunno:
Oilers might be in search of anything they can get their hands on!

CRX-R
12-24-2003, 01:16 AM
The Oilers just might be ready to do a little change up on the Goaltending. Tonight was a fantastic game but Calgary almost blew it at the end. Turek isn't a bad goalie, the problem is neither is McLennan. Kipper should definately keep the top spot, he's proven himself time and time again, and Turek definately has the experience.. that's why I say keep Turek, but as a back up to Kipper.

SoSlowDx
12-24-2003, 01:21 AM
Give back Turek the number one spot and have Kipper as the back up.

inawiJ
12-24-2003, 01:21 AM
but mclennan is playin so good right now too i think if we keep turek he has to earn his way back

James
12-24-2003, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by CRX-R
The Oilers just might be ready to do a little change up on the Goaltending. Tonight was a fantastic game but Calgary almost blew it at the end. Turek isn't a bad goalie, the problem is neither is McLennan. Kipper should definately keep the top spot, he's proven himself time and time again, and Turek definately has the experience.. that's why I say keep Turek, but as a back up to Kipper.

:werd: to the first part...but keeping turek as a back-up would be pretty stupid and expensive

Originally posted by inawiJ
but mclennan is playin so good right now too i think if we keep turek he has to earn his way back

:werd:....if they do keep him , he should defenatly have to earn his spot back with the way the other 2 are playing, but i say trade him off.

CRX-R
12-24-2003, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by SoSlowDx
Give back Turek the number one spot and have Kipper as the back up.

NO WAY, why fuck up a good thing?? Turek wasn't playing that well before his 'vacation'. He's a good goalie, but he's been slacking off for awhile now. Kipper's proven himself and that he wants to play. Let Him Play

CRX-R
12-24-2003, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by James

:werd: to the first part...but keeping turek as a back-up would be pretty stupid and expensive

You're right man, I never thought of it from that point of view, he's not worth the money. Like I said McLennan is a good goalie also.. Top Spot = Kipper Back-up = McLennan C-ya = Turek :poosie:

Speed_Dreams
12-24-2003, 07:20 AM
Trade turek and dumb the 4 mill in salery and pick up a 2nd line forward who can score.

ZMan2k2
12-24-2003, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by CRX-R

NO WAY, why fuck up a good thing?? Turek wasn't playing that well before his 'vacation'. He's a good goalie, but he's been slacking off for awhile now. Kipper's proven himself and that he wants to play. Let Him Play

:werd: Turek is one of the main reasons the Flames did so poorly last year. Dump him and save the 4mil. and get another centre, or a solid stay-at-home defenceman.

88CRX
12-24-2003, 09:29 AM
as much as i'd like to see turek traded he never will be traded.... he has no value to anyone else in the league and is making too much $$$ for most teams.

he hasnt played much this year and when he has hes sucked, so who would want him

:dunno:

itsnotaDUB
12-24-2003, 09:48 AM
yep i think everyone sees the same keep kipper, and ditch turek...

91_Integz
12-24-2003, 10:35 AM
Kipper is a way better goalie and he's the reason we are doing so well right now, just like everyone said. But the only problem with Turek is that now one would want him....to get rid of him we would have to eat some of his salary I would expect...who in their right mind would pay Turek 4 million a year after what he did last season!

CRXguy
12-24-2003, 12:02 PM
Yeah, Turek's useless now. He was doing fine and all, until the Flames offered him an extension or whatever. Bastard!

hondarunner
12-24-2003, 12:09 PM
I say send turek Packing. He has proven himself to be a great goalie wite other teams, but just hasnt been performing with the flames. There is no use having a 3rd high priced goalie when we have an amazing rookie, as well as McLennan, if we need him.

88CRX
12-24-2003, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by hondarunner
I say send turek Packing. He has proven himself to be a great goalie wite other teams, but just hasnt been performing with the flames. There is no use having a 3rd high priced goalie when we have an amazing rookie, as well as McLennan, if we need him.

who? who would take turek... its not that easy.... turek wont be going anywhere.... trust me

ZMan2k2
12-24-2003, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX

who? who would take turek... its not that easy.... turek wont be going anywhere.... trust me

You're probably right, but why crush our dreams like that? Huh.......why? :D ;)

nos_spyder
12-24-2003, 01:49 PM
I think calgary should give turek 2 to 3 games to see how he is playing. he may be better or worse. it would suck giving him away with out knowing his potential. keep the 2 best goalies ann trade or sell 1.

jdmsource
12-24-2003, 02:07 PM
DEFINATELY get rid off turek!! just an idiot who decided to slack since he got his contract that he wanted!

Wildcat
12-24-2003, 02:10 PM
turek is too costly for what you get, get rid of him, kipper starts, and mac is the backup. hasent mac got 3 shut outs so far?

Tcarnage
12-24-2003, 02:22 PM
Give Turek to The oilers, they need him..They suck.. :):poosie:

Team_Mclaren
12-24-2003, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Tcarnage
Give Turek to The oilers, they need him..They suck.. :):poosie:

but that way oilders has to pick up his contact... which cost too much. and i dont think turek would want to be back up as salo, as salo will probably still be number one. No one will pay so much for a back up so we're fuck!!! look at cujo, wings is paying him so much no one will pick him up, they just have to wait till his contact is done

:thumbsdow

no_joke
12-24-2003, 08:27 PM
Apparently with the current CBA expiring this year, it's gonna be hard to move anyone with a big contract (i.e. Turek). Not to mention his trade worth right now is pretty low.

5.9 R/T
12-25-2003, 12:23 AM
I reckon turek and iggy will go in a package deal very soon. Iggy's contract is up next year and I don't think the flames can afford him anymore, plus these two combined make up for 1/4 of the flames payroll. Edmonton is/was in the same situation, Salo should have went with comrie cause salo fuckin blows. He won't be with the oilers next season.

max_boost
12-25-2003, 02:35 AM
I don't forsee Iggy leaving anytime soon. Why? He is the heart and soul of the team and is the undisputed franchise player. The owners have made a committment to the city to remain competitive, trading Iggy would result in a huge PR backlash. Look at Edmonton as a prime example, they lose very good players every single year. This year was no different with the lost of Comrie and Marchant.

There is a great deal of uncertainty with the upcoming 2004 labor negotiations and a lockout is imminent. The players don't want salary cap while the owners are adamant. If Iggy is loyal, he will sign a long term deal at around $5million U.S that is loaded with incentives. IMO, that is the problem with the NHL, too high of base salaries and not enough incentives. If you can score 50 goals, you deserve $7million U.S.

Anyway, to get back on topic, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Kippy is playing extremely well and has earned the #1 role. Turek will get his chance to play when he comes back and if he does play well, we have a goaltender controversy. But with Turek's history of allowing soft goals and his rust from being injured, he may be sloppy. You must also remember that Turek has never played in front of such a strong flames defence before, our goals against is the second lowest in the league so things may be different. Remember how good Turek played when the Blues won the league total with the most points a few years back? I don't think dropping Mclennan (sp) is viable either, he's a backup making $500K, a bargain in today's NHL market. At the same time, unloading Turek will be a problem too since the Flames don't want to absorb any of this $4million US salary.

But really:whocares: I just want the Flames to keep on winning!!!:thumbsup:

sexualbanana
12-25-2003, 03:26 AM
Originally posted by CRXguy
Yeah, Turek's useless now. He was doing fine and all, until the Flames offered him an extension or whatever. Bastard!

The ol' contract syndrome.

Happens with everyone good and bad. Jim Carrey, Federov, Kolzig, Giguere, you name em. Once the last year of the contract shows up, it's primetime playin' then back to mediocrity

max_boost
12-25-2003, 03:36 AM
Whatever happened to Jim Carrey? He won the Vezina and disappeared!! haha

SoSlowDx
12-25-2003, 05:00 AM
Let Turek back and see what he does then I guess...

As for Jim Carey:

http://members.tripod.com/~mscapsfan/carey0700.html

Wildcat
12-25-2003, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
*SNIP IMO, that is the problem with the NHL, too high of base salaries and not enough incentives. If you can score 50 goals, you deserve $7million U.S. *SNIP

last year i believe it was, bertuzzi was given a 1mill incentive for scoring 50 goals, he scored 48. :thumbsup:

88CRX
12-25-2003, 10:34 PM
Whatever happened to Jim Carrey? He won the Vezina and disappeared!! haha

:banghead: :banghead:
haha.... i remember when i was like 12 and saved up $20 to buy his rookie card.... was soooo much money at that age, and then he fell off the planet, imo worst investment ever :D :banghead:

R-Audi
12-25-2003, 10:38 PM
Unfortunately, if I remember correctly, Turek has a no trade clause in his contract. Unless he waives it, he's not going anywhere. Both Turek and Kiprusoff will end up fighting for the top spot, and the best one will win it. I can't sday I really mind this, cause we will end up with the better of the two goalies palying, and a pretty decent back-up!:thumbsup:

max_boost
12-26-2003, 03:01 AM
On the topic of 'What ever happened to.....

What about Jimmy Carson? Got traded to the Edmonton part of the Gretzky deal and disappeared shortly after:dunno: He scored 55 goals in his second year, 49 goals in his third and poof......

Wildcat
12-26-2003, 06:07 PM
On the topic of 'What ever happened to.....

What about Jimmy Carson? Got traded to the Edmonton part of the Gretzky deal and disappeared shortly after:dunno: He scored 55 goals in his second year, 49 goals in his third and poof......

retired.. he was old dood

max_boost
12-26-2003, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by Wildcat

retired.. he was old dood LOL
Old? Born in 1968 and was completely out of the league by 1995. There are so many players that are still playing that were born prior to 1968. Anyway, it's weird how these players have such great years at a young age and then just suck......

Maybe it's heart? injuries? who knows but I would love to be a professional athlete, work hard for a few years and then set for life:bigpimp:

lam-boy
12-30-2003, 05:45 PM
LOL
Old? Born in 1968 and was completely out of the league by 1995. There are so many players that are still playing that were born prior to 1968. Anyway, it's weird how these players have such great years at a young age and then just suck......

Maybe it's heart? injuries? who knows but I would love to be a professional athlete, work hard for a few years and then set for life:bigpimp:

speaking of old..
mark messier comes to mind haha.

no one wants turek, we can't just get rid of him, someone has to actually want this guy.

i really thought he was gonna make a turnaround this year. i heard taht he worked very hard in the off season to get in shape, the flames hired a goaltending coach.
2 games bam breaks his leg/injures himself or whatever he did. thats not a way to prove yourself and your 4 million dollar payroll.

glad sutter is the main man, at the beginning i was having doubts about his style, but damn sutter really heating things up. hes a smart guy. a few players from last season gone, a couple new faces in, but what sutter did was awesome. he managed to weld the team together and create a thing called teamwork!!

A_3
12-31-2003, 06:34 PM
The Flames must have some of the worst luck ever, we get a good goalie in Kipper and now he's injured, gone 4-6 weeks with a knee injury. Anyone know when Turek gets back because i don't know how long McLennan can last

Wildcat
12-31-2003, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by A_3
The Flames must have some of the worst luck ever, we get a good goalie in Kipper and now he's injured, gone 4-6 weeks with a knee injury. Anyone know when Turek gets back because i don't know how long McLennan can last

lets just wait and see how he does against colorado tonite. :crossfingers: :)

tegdream
12-31-2003, 07:05 PM
yeah the reason is that all it is that: Luck, a rookie or wahtever goalie like kiper's play wont last that long, falmes still suck, and if it wasnt luck, then they wont be emabarrassed by the av's tonite!

lam-boy
12-31-2003, 07:23 PM
1-0 colorado..
damnit
im still with the flames!! go flames go

max_boost
01-01-2004, 12:34 AM
The Flames played well enough to win. Let's hope Mclennan can keep the ship going with Kiprusoff going down:(

A_3
01-02-2004, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by tegdream
yeah the reason is that all it is that: Luck, a rookie or wahtever goalie like kiper's play wont last that long, falmes still suck, and if it wasnt luck, then they wont be emabarrassed by the av's tonite!

I think Sutters built up a pretty solid core for this team, everyone seems to be doing there roles well, enforcers enforcing, scorers scoring (mostly, cmon Iggy) Kipper isn't doing anything extraordinary, he shows up every night plays solid, plays the angles well, team seems to like him, i think he's the real deal. Flames did play a weak first period against the av's tough loss but they'll be back.

max_boost
01-02-2004, 12:26 AM
If you look at the Flames record with Sutter at the helm over the past 82 games ( I think the game vs. Colorado was 83) their record is an impressive 39-28-15 or something along those lines. Unfortunately, that is only good enough for the 8th seed in the Western Conference over the last few years which means bye bye in the first round! IMO, we must finish 6th overall no matter what. Why?

1. Detroit
2. Vancouver
3. San Jose
4. St.Louis
5. Colorado
6. Calgary
7. Los Angeles
8. Nashville

With division leaders ranked 1,2, and 3, there might be some shifting between Colorado/Vancouver and Detroit/St.Louis. We know we are not going to win our division but we must play the third seed which will come from the Pacific division. I honestly think we can destroy San Jose, Dallas or the LA Kings. :thumbsup:

One more thing, I hate the comparisons between the Flames and Minnesota, why? Because Minny plays a pure trapping system, extremely boring to watch. Calgary plays pressurized defence which causes turnovers, it is exciting to watch. We have skill or else we won't be outshooting teams like Colorado and Vancouver!! We just can't score, what else is new!!

That is all for now :D

Wildcat
01-02-2004, 02:50 AM
^ i smell a sport select addict.. :D

A_3
01-02-2004, 02:08 PM
One more thing, I hate the comparisons between the Flames and Minnesota

Minnesota is the most boring team to watch in the league, even in last years play offs i had to change the channel on some of there close games, there team is made mostly of basement dwellers, (not Gaborik or Dupuis). All they do is stop the puck in the neutral zone, shoot is back, stop puck in neutral zone, shoot it back, etc... What Minnesota does is waits for the other team to make a mistake and then they try and use that to score, which doesn't equal very many in the NHL. Calgary creates turnovers, that's why we have so many shots on net every night and it's fun to watch. High pressured defense vs. the Trap hmmmm... Anyways the only place i can really see a comparison between the two is that our roster is not stocked with high priced guys and every players tries as hard as they can every night. I will end this off with a simple... GO FLAMES!

Hipermax_d
01-02-2004, 08:15 PM
i dont really like turek. he lets in too much easy to save goals, which usually costs us the game
i think maclennen (sp?) would be sent back to the minors when turek comes back
i dont know about who is the number one goalie between kip and turek though

i think we should be more worried about our centre men
we really need our original center men

Davetronz
01-03-2004, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Wildcat
^ i smell a sport select addict.. :D
Did someone call me???

BRB, gotta go place my bets ;)

inawiJ
01-03-2004, 07:02 PM
kippers gone and now its upto mclennan hopefully he dun hurt so we dun have to go through the whole fiasco again like a couple years ago wehn the flames went through 8 goalies until they found brathwaite and turek is useless no one wants him too big of a salary they might just have to release him if they want to get rid of him

JGerke
01-06-2004, 02:08 PM
Ya, Kipper is a good goalie, but he is still young..........I think they should keep him, but bring turek back, because his experience will be nice once playoff time rolls around!!:thumbsup:

accordboi_02
01-06-2004, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by JGerke
Ya, Kipper is a good goalie, but he is still young..........I think they should keep him, but bring turek back, because his experience will be nice once playoff time rolls around!!:thumbsup:

What experience? You mean choking in the playoffs every year?? Do we really want him to teach that to our younger goalies??

SI-vic
01-06-2004, 04:28 PM
When does Kip come back anyways?

I think they should keep Turek around for a little bit, maybe he'll improve as he knows his starting position is at risk.
If he doesnt improve then send him packing.
I think Kipper and McLennan will be a solid goalie duo. Kipper is young, yes, but look at M.A Fluery. He's only 19, ahaha.

Wildcat
01-06-2004, 09:23 PM
^ 4-6 weeks with a knee injury

RSRT-4
01-06-2004, 09:28 PM
Sorry Dumb Turek and use the 4 mill to get another forward who can score