PDA

View Full Version : Wondering where to donate? This list may be of interest...

tirebob
09-02-2010, 07:59 AM
Found this list on another forum and thought it somewhat interesting to consider...

Which Charities spend the most money in administration, fundraising and management? Nothing hugely controversial here... More just something to consider. Personally I prefer to see the least amount of money invested in admin costs, but obviously there are going to be some costs associated to setting up and running a charity...

http://www.moneysense.ca/2009/12/21/canadas-40-biggest-charities/

ExtraSlow
09-02-2010, 08:14 AM
Good to see the heart and stroke foundation is low on that list. My dad died of a stroke.

Another thing to consider is not giving to any door-to-door campaigns. Those are often run by third parties on behalf of the charity, for a percentage. So even if your charity has low admin expenses, this private company will be taking a cut on top of that, effectively reducing yoru contirbution.

If you work for a large company, check with your employer to see if they do "matching" donations. This isnt' availible for everyone, but if it is, it's a great way to maximize the effect of your dollars.

One of my favourite causes, although not availible for tax recipts in Canada, is KIVA.ORG. I really like the microcredit concept, and I've been involved in that one for a few years. I get to feel more connected to the people getting the money.

GQBalla
09-02-2010, 08:20 AM
isn't the heart and stroke foundation on the top of the list at 50 percent?

or am i reading it wrong?

i had no idea charities have to spend on administration as i thought it was all donated time from people

Everlast
09-02-2010, 08:21 AM
Hearth and stroke foundation of Canada uses 5% of revenue for admin but heart and stroke of Ontario uses 50%? :nut:

Muji
09-02-2010, 09:39 AM
I only wish Safeway would get off the asking me for a donation to their "cause of the month" every time I shop there. I think Canadian Tire and a major drugstore chain are doing the same begging at the cash area.

I donate yearly between 10-15% of my after tax income, this begging is an insult and allows a corporation to ride on the donations made by customers. Do these corporations match dollar for dollar? As well, you can lose the receipt easily and not get a tax claim on the donation. Make your donations count and make the process accountable.

Thumbs up for KIVA as well. Very accountable and well managed and has a huge impact in every donation.

Weapon_R
09-02-2010, 10:11 AM
Canadian Cancer Society :thumbsup: