PDA

View Full Version : Getting into different genre's..?

EvolizePhoto
09-02-2010, 12:14 PM
I'm a car guy, all I shoot is cars, all I ever want to shoot is cars. Period.

However, I really need to expand my horizons and shoot other things such as people, but I really don't *like* to do shoots with people.

Does anybody else here not LIKE to shoot a specific genre and do it anyways? How do you get yourself to like doing it, and enjoy it like you do other things. I'm trying to make myself want to shoot models and enjoy it.

I am good at it and know what I'm doing and what I want to see, but I can't bring myself to actually enjoying doing it.

If you have any advice please feel free. This may benefit other people stuck shooting the same thing day in day out.

Go4Long
09-02-2010, 12:30 PM
I guess it all depends on how you view photography in terms of what your work does for you.

I shoot track because I like going to the track. Even without making a penny on shooting a track day, I've still had a good day because I spent it hanging out at the track...it's also why I could care less what people think of my pricing, because in the end, I honestly don't need to sell a fuckin thing to make my day worthwhile. If someone wants a picture or two, they cost what they cost, I don't haggle, because in the end I don't need the money. I'm charging for what my time is worth to me, not what the picture is worth.

the flip side of that coin is guys like kevin, or any of the other people kicking around that make their primary income off photography...does Kevin LOVE attending everyone's wedding? maybe. Does he LOVE making money, well in reality that probably has more to do with it than loving watching people get married.

I shoot the occasional portrait shoot when it's someone I know that has a specific goal in mind, and their goal is something that intrigues me. But I, like most of the people on here that do it as more of a hobby, have the joy of having a job that pays the bills, so I don't need to photograph things I don't want to.

If you are trying to build the business to make money you're absolutely going to have to shoot things you don't like from time to time. Whether it be a wedding in a dungeon like venue, or the girl that wants nice pictures of herself for her boyfriend that doesn't have the foggiest idea what she actually wants as an end result, but still complains constantly about how they're not what she wanted when you give her the product.

In terms of motivation, think of it as doing it for...whatever you're saving up for.

Melinda
09-02-2010, 12:37 PM
Trust me, if you dont like shooting something, you will soon HATE shooting everything. Forcing yourself to be creative in a realm you don't love is a sure fire way to hate picking up your camera. Trust me on that one, I tried to 'force' myself to love shooting something and for a long time my passion completely died until I realized what was wrong and made a change.

Out of curiosity, why do you feel like you HAVE TO shoot people?

Go4Long
09-02-2010, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Melinda
Trust me, if you dont like shooting something, you will soon HATE shooting everything. Forcing yourself to be creative in a realm you don't love is a sure fire way to hate picking up your camera. Trust me on that one, I tried to 'force' myself to love shooting something and for a long time my passion completely died until I realized what was wrong and made a change.

also a really good point. We've already seen the results of what happens when people that are passionate about shooting one genre try to get in to another one that they aren't passionate about...it turns into an 8 page thread of doom.

89coupe
09-02-2010, 01:20 PM
I like photographing anything really, but I love editing even more. What drives me is trying to make each photo better then my last.

bcylau
09-02-2010, 01:52 PM
IMO you should just try expanding into product shoots .... little to no people. restaurants are awesome, since you usually get to eat the food after

quazimoto
09-02-2010, 04:00 PM
Honestly and people may think I'm wacko when I say this, but I truly do love shooting weddings. They are just about always a total blast and a lot of fun. You get to share in a fun filled day and enjoy a party at night time. I love the photography aspect however the editing process can be very time consuming and highly annoying.

I do think there is a big degree of difference when it boils down to photographers that love what they do and those that just do it for the money. It's a completely different mind set I find.

For most portrait work you need to have a good personality and be able to relate to people as this will typical make the photo session a lot easier especially if you can naturally make people smile and laugh. I cant picture a really dry type of person that really has no personality doing portraiture type work successfully.

It really can't hurt to try different types of photography but I wouldn't recommend doing something you absolutely won't enjoy because often that will come across to the client and I don't think anybody wants to feel like they are a burden and what not.

Just my 2 cents.

I just expanded to doing sports and equestrian photography myself. I honestly do love them as well simply because it gives me a break from the norm and affords me the opportunity to challenge myself in new types of photography.

That being said I couldn't see myself photographing cars or doing commercial type work because it can be very nit picky work and I prefer just to go out and do my thing :)

There is also a big difference in dong this for a full time occupation and doing it on the side because you want to. If you do it on the side because you like to then that's great. But to do it on the side and do something you won't like would be absolutely mind boggling.

I started doing equestrian stuff part time simply because it was fun and now the fact I'm making money off of it just seems like a bonus. Granted that bonus money is going to buy me a 500mm F4 lens so it puts another smile on my face.

Gibson
09-02-2010, 04:52 PM
I would tend to agree with the idea about if you don't want to shoot something, don't force yourself to try and enjoy it.

Yeah, I want to get into weddings eventually, but that's because I have an interest in storytelling with my images - a byproduct of my schooling.

Yeah, I want to get into automotive photography one day because I love cars.

You can make a lot of money being one of those people who hangs around tourist destinations, snaps a blast-a-flash-in-your-face photo and tries to sell it to them but would I try and make myself enjoy that because there's money in it? Hellz no.

I get paid to go make storytelling pictures that nobody else sees, often times out of nothing. I love the aspect of my job that is going into a situation having no idea what sort of images I'm going to end up with at the end, but I can see a lot of people not enjoying it. And I definitely wouldn't recommend to somebody who doesn't like hanging around parks to get front page pictures that they try their hand at photojournalism because it clearly isn't for them.

EvolizePhoto
09-03-2010, 12:41 AM
My reason for this,

I've been presented with an opportunity that will become a reality next spring that I am preparing for. Basically I will be employed by a well known car enthusiast magazine that also features models, both with and without cars. I asked them about shooting the cars only, but the requirement for doing model work will make or break the final offering.

I've been trying to work on my editing too, I have a TON, literally TON to learn by the time april/may comes along...

quazimoto
09-03-2010, 12:49 AM
Really scratching my head as to why a car magazine would want to hire somebody for a specific position knowing the person doesn't have the required experience. I would personally find that baffling.

You also must realize that not every opportunity is perfect for every person. In my situation I have turned down clients I don't feel comfortable working for. You need to ask yourself if it makes sense to jump in head first into something that you aren't ready for...

EvolizePhoto
09-03-2010, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by quazimoto
Really scratching my head as to why a car magazine would want to hire somebody for a specific position knowing the person doesn't have the required experience. I would personally find that baffling.

You also must realize that not every opportunity is perfect for every person. In my situation I have turned down clients I don't feel comfortable working for. You need to ask yourself if it makes sense to jump in head first into something that you aren't ready for... I've shot portraits, and models before. I know HOW to. The issue is that I don't LIKE to do it, and haven't felt the urge to advance on it.
Now there is an opportunity in front of me and I am trying to figure out how to progress and get overtop the small hurdle

quazimoto
09-03-2010, 12:54 AM
Very confused as you basically just told us you had next to no experience doing portraits? Hence the confusion.

Gibson
09-03-2010, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by quazimoto
Very confused as you basically just told us you had next to no experience doing portraits? Hence the confusion.

He said he doesn't like shooting portraits, not that he has no experience.

Also, I was just wondering what you say to clients who you don't feel comfortable working with? "O hai, you're weird so you gotta find another photog. Sorry!"

Actually Dave, I can sort of see where you're coming from about accepting a job with aspects you'd love and some you wouldn't so much. Congrats on getting the position.

quazimoto
09-03-2010, 10:09 AM
I tell every client especially with weddings that not every photographer will work well with every couple and vice versa. To me people need to be like minded and have personalities which jive well together. Weddings are a truly unique situation where I personally don't believe a person should taken an event on just for the money even though some do.

I've only said no a handful of times and each time the couple understood where I was coming from. It's nothing somebody should take personally as I only want the couple to be happy on their day.

Melinda
09-03-2010, 10:17 AM
It really depends on how often you'll have to work with a model. If it's every shoot, or even every second shoot, I would consider looking elsewhere for a position that offers you more of what you want to be doing. I'm really not trying to sound like a bitch here, cause really, I have nothing to lose or gain, but if you are forced to shoot something you hate or aren't passionate about on a regular basis, you will eventually (sooner rather than later actually) really hate your job. Just because it's money to do with cars (which I know is your eventual goal in life), it might not be your best choice for getting your feet wet in the industry. There really is no way to 'force' yourself to like doing something you don't. Trust me on that one, I've tried it twice in my career and while the results both times were pretty good, I really started to resent picking up my camera at all.

Out of curiosity, why would they make you shoot models sans car for a car mag?

quazimoto
09-03-2010, 10:19 AM
I'm wondering the same thing. 99% of photos I've seen taken do not involve models, it's just odd.

blitz
09-03-2010, 11:37 AM
Have you worked with real models before? It might be a much different experience than dealing with non-models.

89coupe
09-03-2010, 11:44 AM
What guy wouldn't enjoy photographing hot models for a car magazine?

LOL:confused:

quazimoto
09-03-2010, 06:46 PM
LOL you haven't worked with professional models obviously. Some of them are not exactly friendly to work with. That's why I stopped that kinda of stuff years ago.

JAYMEZ
09-03-2010, 08:20 PM
I only shoot with models , and it can be very demanding.. Im not a fan of shooting cars , its just not my thing anymore... cars used to be everything I loved , then they just got boring..

I have also worked with magazine companies such as playboy/hustler , so I guess I know how demanding and bitchy the industry is LOL.

What magazine wants you to shoot models? Do you have any of your model shoots on a website , lets see some samples dude :thumbsup:

Bukka
09-04-2010, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by 89coupe

LOL:confused:

Someone who wants to shoot fashion, or editorial stuff.

I'm personally not a fan of shooting cars, it just isn't my thing, and hot chicks in next to nothing has lost its appeal from a working stand point, due to working in the bar industry. So for me, fashion and editorial is a direction I'd rather go over hot chicks on cars.

EvolizePhoto
09-04-2010, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by 89coupe

LOL:confused: Because I am in photography for the love of doing it and the future career path(s) it brings.

I do not do it just to creep women through the lens while they are half naked. I'm not some gear whore perv with no fundamental knowledge of photography doing it to get into pants.

quazimoto
09-04-2010, 11:28 PM
Just make sure you are aware most photographers this is completely a labor of love. It can take years to get a proper half decent career in it going and even then you are constantly working on it.