PDA

View Full Version : UofC Haskayne Co-op Program

Wkk
09-02-2010, 11:26 PM
So I'm planning to apply for a co-op position next summer (I'm going to be a 2nd year accounting concentrator) and I was wondering how difficult it is to get in/what are the acceptance rates for the co-op program at haskayne. I'm especially curious about the rates for larger accounting firms and oil and gas companies.

I know you have to have a 2.5 GPA to apply, and that there are interviews. I'm unsure about the effect of extra-curriculars and previous job experience though; I'm kind of worried about this as I have relatively less experience than other people.

gyu
09-03-2010, 12:56 AM
A friend told me you need like a 3.2 to get accepted, can someone else clarify?

statick
09-03-2010, 05:06 AM
Based on my admission to the program, two years ago, and from what I'm told now, the required GPA is 2.5.

Getting into the co-op program isn't very difficult at all. I don't know of a single person that has been turned away. Landing a specific position at a specific company after being admitted to the program ,however, is not as easy. Nonetheless, it is very possible to get placements at large energy or accounting firms without much experience.

BrknFngrs
09-03-2010, 06:47 AM
If your GPA is around the 2.5 mark you'll likely find that it wont be an issue getting into the Co-Op program but you'll have a hard time getting on at any of the major firms.

phillywu
09-03-2010, 08:31 AM
as pointed out above, Co-op is not hard to get in. IIRC, I just applied and got in, maybe had to write a letter but that I'm not sure about.

The only preference you get over other students is that they can't apply for coop jobs and you can. Once in, everything is the same, you still have to apply for a job, compete with other students etc.

I would highly encourage all 2nd-3rd years + attend all the networking events that the Career centre holds. All that speed networking, different career nights etc. you never know who is going to be there

Wkk
09-04-2010, 03:20 AM
Thanks for the replies guys, I'm getting a better grasp for this whole co-op thing =)

Say that I wanted to get into one of the big 4 or any major oil and gas for co-op, would they prefer a high GPA student with little work experience or a lower GPA student with more work experience? Right now I'd consider myself as falling within the former category; my GPA will probably be ~3.5 by the time I apply for any co-op positions, but again the thing that worries me is my relative lack of work experience.

I have an opportunity to start looking for a job to enhance my resume right now, but I'm wondering if I should spend more time on other things such as volunteering/extra-curriculars/leadership programs that might be more efficient at boosting my resume. Basically I'm unsure of what my potential co-op employers are looking for, and thus unsure of what I should be doing with my spare time haha

statick
09-04-2010, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Wkk
Thanks for the replies guys, I'm getting a better grasp for this whole co-op thing =)

Say that I wanted to get into one of the big 4 or any major oil and gas for co-op, would they prefer a high GPA student with little work experience or a lower GPA student with more work experience? Right now I'd consider myself as falling within the former category; my GPA will probably be ~3.5 by the time I apply for any co-op positions, but again the thing that worries me is my relative lack of work experience.

I have an opportunity to start looking for a job to enhance my resume right now, but I'm wondering if I should spend more time on other things such as volunteering/extra-curriculars/leadership programs that might be more efficient at boosting my resume. Basically I'm unsure of what my potential co-op employers are looking for, and thus unsure of what I should be doing with my spare time haha

It's all relative... A 3.3 GPA with some relevant experience is probably a better stance to have than a 3.5 GPA without any experience. And having a 3.5 GPA and no experience is probably a better position to be in than having a 2.8 GPA and much experience.

Relevant work experience will generally benefit you more than extra-curriculars, but those are important too. Both done in moderation is not a bad way to go. Large CA firms are interested in seeing that you are able to focus on various things, such as school, a job (even part-time), volunteering and hobbies, and do them well.

Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but it almsot seems like you want to polarize which aspects of your application are most important. If one was to go about this, I suppose a hierarchy could be made, but that is certainly not the best way to think about landing a job, especially with a CA firm.

BrknFngrs
09-04-2010, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by statick

It's all relative... A 3.3 GPA with some relevant experience is probably a better stance to have than a 3.5 GPA without any experience. And having a 3.5 GPA and no experience is probably a better position to be in than having a 2.8 GPA and much experience.

Relevant work experience will generally benefit you more than extra-curriculars, but those are important too. Both done in moderation is not a bad way to go. Large CA firms are interested in seeing that you are able to focus on various things, such as school, a job (even part-time), volunteering and hobbies, and do them well.

Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but it almsot seems like you want to polarize which aspects of your application are most important. If one was to go about this, I suppose a hierarchy could be made, but that is certainly not the best way to think about landing a job, especially with a CA firm.

I agree with this completely; it's very much a balance. Personally, I've found that large CA firms look at your marks as a minimum "hurdle" you need to clear. If you make this standard than it becomes almost solely based on who you are, what you've done and what you do in your spare time.

Ebon
09-05-2010, 01:50 AM
The big 4 have a point system and a candidates aspects have a maximum amount of points. They like to see some balance.

The difference between Co-op and summer internships at the accounting firms is that co-op students get to work during their busy seasons. Where as if your a summer student, they just wine and dine you.

Unless of course you have a 4.0 GPA. Then you can basically just wait for your offer unless you insult them in the interview. <-- comes straight from the mouth of an exec of a service branch at a big 4.

jmintz
09-07-2010, 02:16 PM
I applied last spring and will hopefully be working this winter. I believe you need at least a 2.5 GPA to even qualify for the co-op program. I applied with like a 3.3 and got in so who knows, but you have to send in a resume, cover letter, and do an interview to get accepted first.

gyu
07-20-2011, 05:04 PM
Wtff I just got an e-mail today that I didn't get into the co-op program. My GPA is around a 3.1 and I thought I did decent for the interview, any reasons why they might've rejected me? Makes me feel worse reading comments that pretty much everyone gets accepted

leftwing
07-20-2011, 09:54 PM
I pretty sure at MRU the co-op program works like this: You apply (need min GPA of like 2.5 or something dumb) then you take a like 3 day course (non credit) on interviewing and resume writing then your into the "program". From there they set you up with numerous leads on jobs, good ones too. But it is up to you to apply for the jobs and to actually get the job. Dont know if thats any help

gqmw
07-21-2011, 12:40 AM
Ok for haskayne, it's just write a cover letter+send resume to co-op and you get called in for a group interview (answer like 5 "what if" and "about yourself" questions). Then if you're accepted comes the job searching part.

In terms of getting accepted into co-op, it isn't very difficult. Although the gpa requirement actually varies significantly depending on number of applicants and spots available. They have room for approx 300 people to be in the program at any given time, so the amount of spots available each application session depends on how many people have completed co-op since the last acceptance.

During the december 2010 session, I had friends who had ~3.3 gpa's that got turned away cause they had 70 some spots available and double that in the number of applicants.

Honestly with a ~3.5, you shouldn't have any problem getting in and probably getting interviews, but being hired for a nice job with a good firm/oil company is all up to your interview. Good luck!

Gyu - it's weird that you didn't get in...are you able to apply again for dec? Or are you over 30 classes by then?

gyu
07-21-2011, 01:42 AM
I'll still be under 30 in December so I'll probably try again. I guess I just had the same scenario as a few of your friends where the amount of spots is pretty limited.

dimi
07-21-2011, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by phillywu
The only preference you get over other students is that they can't apply for coop jobs and you can. Once in, everything is the same, you still have to apply for a job, compete with other students etc.

When I was applying for work I got a coop job and I was not a coop student. My employer said that they actually prefered that cause they don't have to fill out a bunch of paperwork.

urbannomad
07-21-2011, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by gyu
Wtff I just got an e-mail today that I didn't get into the co-op program. My GPA is around a 3.1 and I thought I did decent for the interview, any reasons why they might've rejected me? Makes me feel worse reading comments that pretty much everyone gets accepted

That sucks dude.
Talk to Nancy Green. She is by far the most helpful of the bunch. Ask her what happened, what were they looking for? What did you do right, wrong? keep at it, let them know you're interested.

She helped me tremendously during the downturn in 08-09. It seemed like only 20 students got hired that fall (09) for Co-op; and this is when EVERYONE was getting fired downtown, and luckily i was one of the 20 that got hired with an amazing wealth management firm.

The one thing school doesn't teach is to be persistent.

magicalpoop
07-22-2011, 05:53 PM
I think it also depends on your major, I'm sure they allocate X seats per major to make it fair?

Yeah, the job market is shit - hence they've been clamping down on co-op applicants.

Getting in is really just a minor hurdle, I know a few people who haven't gotten any luck with jobs for 3 months as co-op students...one is working for UFA.....

UFA is the provincial co-op farmers assocation or some shit...he spends his day in a shack answering calls to farmers...and he's an accounting major.

Just keep trying, don't give up.