PDA

View Full Version : Mechanic Didn't Notify Of Extra Charges...

dj_patm
09-03-2010, 04:51 PM
Hey so last night I dropped off my car overnight at the stealership to get some basic work done on it. When I dropped my car off I stated that I wanted an estimate prior to work being done.

So fast forward to this morning and around lunch time, they call quoting me for an hour of labor and that we'll work from there. This is what I was assuming the case would be as it's a 30 minute job and the dealer and every mechanic around here charge an hour minimum. So I say okay and they get to work.

3ish hours later they call me telling me that "bla blah blah, Our mechanic basically destroyed his tap blah blah blah, we charged two hours of labor"

Umm...

Unfortunately I was in front of work related peeps so I didn't want to argue, I said okay and hung up.

Now they never called to let me know that they will charge extra or anything. So this went from being a $120 job to $272 without any warning or notification.

What do I do? How do I approach this?

miguex
09-03-2010, 05:09 PM
not surprised... that is typical from all stealerships. If you car had warranty, that is another story.

dj_patm
09-03-2010, 05:28 PM
Oh of course. if it was under warranty, it'd be 10 minutes

Sugarphreak
09-03-2010, 06:26 PM

dj_patm
09-03-2010, 06:37 PM
They're going to Blow me.

http://www.amvic.org/PDF/unfair.pdf

Charging a price for goods or services that is more than 10 per cent – to a maximum of $100 – higher than the estimate given for those goods or services unless the consumer has specifically agreed to the increase. Example: A repair shop says it will cost $150 to fix an item, but the final bill is $400.

I'll glady pay them 132 bucks or whatever 1hr + 10% is. Fuck it, I'll even pay $150

dj_patm
09-03-2010, 06:49 PM
Also, I'm sure 80% of the work involved modifying his tap for the hole.

Well fuck that. He could've called me, said "Listen, we don't have a tap, we have to order one" and it would've easily fit under the hour when they got the tap.

They didn't have to do anything prior to the tap, the under carriage cover was off and the mount was already half on.

Oh shit, now I'm pumped. I am not paying that extra hour. Sweet.

Jeremiah
09-03-2010, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by dj_patm Hey so last night I dropped off my car overnight at the stealership to get some basic work done on it. When I dropped my car off I stated that I wanted an estimate prior to work being done.

So fast forward to this morning and around lunch time, they call quoting me for an hour of labor and that we'll work from there. This is what I was assuming the case would be as it's a 30 minute job and the dealer and every mechanic around here charge an hour minimum. So I say okay and they get to work.

3ish hours later they call me telling me that "bla blah blah, Our mechanic basically destroyed his tap blah blah blah, we charged two hours of labor"

Umm...

Unfortunately I was in front of work related peeps so I didn't want to argue, I said okay and hung up.

Now they never called to let me know that they will charge extra or anything. So this went from being a $120 job to $272 without any warning or notification.

What do I do? How do I approach this?

lol... you're gonna be paying it

unless the consumer has specifically agreed to the increase.

also if you file something with amvic do you think its gonna wield instantaneous results?

dj_patm
09-03-2010, 08:19 PM
I won :)

Paid for the one hour only. Talked to a different tech who was very understanding. Thanks chad!

M.alex
09-03-2010, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by dj_patm
Also, I'm sure 80% of the work involved modifying his tap for the hole.

How do you modify a tap? You arn't going to re-thread it; at best you're going to get out a grinder and saw it to make it shorter.

Jeremiah
09-03-2010, 09:30 PM
Glad to hear it!

shivam
09-03-2010, 11:01 PM
hello folks,
according to me its nt good......

Scuderia
09-03-2010, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by shivam
hello folks,
according to me its nt good......

:confused: ....Thanks?

swak
09-04-2010, 12:03 AM
Is this Mazda, OP???

; and Sugarphreak,

During an oil change at Shaganappi, they wanted to change my plate light since it was out, and they asked $40 for that too...
I asked him if he was joking, and maybe i heard him wrong ($14?)... Nope.... $40 for a $2 light bulb.
FUUUCCCKKK THAT!!

Vanner
09-04-2010, 11:28 AM
I get a good chuckle whenever i see or read how a mechanic or a technician tell a client that a light bulb need to be replaced at a ridiculous $XX (double digits)!

For me, I'd tell that mechanic to shove the bulbs up his A-hole and see if his farts would light it up!

Come on, replacing light bulbs in your car isn't reserved for rocket scientists... Geez! :rolleyes:

derpderp
09-04-2010, 12:18 PM
Discount Light Replacements in my Garage: $15 per light.

Barlow
09-04-2010, 12:40 PM
did you sign a work order?

if not they are hooched.

you already won though so I guess it doesn't matter

Andrew

Type_S1
09-04-2010, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by derpderp
Discount Light Replacements in my Garage: $15 per light.

I undercut all competitors....

$12...but it's in my backalley :D

derpderp
09-04-2010, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Type_S1

I undercut all competitors....

$12...but it's in my backalley :D

We have been providing quality that you can trust and depend on in our state of the art garage, for 30 minutes now.

Don't forgot that is 30 minutes more then all the other competing discount bulb replacement shops.

Go to the people with the experience. :love:

M.alex
09-04-2010, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Vanner

Come on, replacing light bulbs in your car isn't reserved for rocket scientists... Geez! :rolleyes:

In some cars it is - I believe in a cts-v you have to remove the front bumper to access them.

edit: here you go

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/headlights.html

Heck, on my z06 you almost need a lift to change the turn signal bulbs (because it's difficult to access, unless you've got like girlie forearms)

Scuderia
09-04-2010, 02:58 PM
CTS-V is the biggest bitch to change turn signal lamps on. It literally took me 20 minutes. Even the fuckin foglights are a pain.

Vanner
09-04-2010, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by M.alex

In some cars it is - I believe in a cts-v you have to remove the front bumper to access them.

Heck, on my z06 you almost need a lift to change the turn signal bulbs (because it's difficult to access, unless you've got like girlie forearms)

LOL... true, quite a few cars can be a bitch to replace these bulbs. After 20+ years working on all kinds of cars ... I developed a few tricks to do that in a faster time. I find Honda models to be one of the easiest to work - hell, their plastic bumpers can be stripped off in 10 mins or less (for exmaple). Of course the Honda light bulbs are easily accessible in one minute like that.

Most difficult if you are wondering? Changing broken door handle/Assembly on VW Golfs. No joke, I'm serious ... you literally HAD to strip out the inside of the door to reach the door handle assembly there. Did that three times already - these VW bitches are real bastards to work on. About up to one hour each time.

You're right about Corvettes - The only way to replace bulbs for side markers is to do from under the bumper. I have these arms not like "girly" but as close as flexible.

The most important key to success is creativity with brains ... plus know how to cuss flently under the car! :rofl:

swak
09-05-2010, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by Scuderia
CTS-V is the biggest bitch to change turn signal lamps on. It literally took me 20 minutes. Even the fuckin foglights are a pain.

I believe it haha...

Used to be an apprentice mechanic for GM, and dealt with this crap almost daily....

But, in those cases, i can see them charging $40 for changing a light bulb... fine.

But for my truck, its 2 screws for my tail lights, and a few clips for everything else. NO WAY is it worth even $10 for them to do it.

dj_patm
09-05-2010, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by M.alex

I got pretty girlie forearms, I'll change your bulbs for an hour with the car :clap:

(I'm a dude, just scrony)