PDA

View Full Version : Cab drivers downtown...

mazdavirgin
09-03-2010, 11:52 PM
Just curious but what is everyones reaction to cab drivers downtown who park in the middle of a lane waiting for fares... Specifically all the cab drivers who park on streets like 11th right in the middle of a lane waiting for some people to stumble out of a club.

swak
09-04-2010, 12:33 AM
If someone flags them over, i'll give them a minute to get the fare/get the fare out of their cab...

But if they're just dicking around, i dont have any patience for that.
Or pulling snakey maneuvers to get somewhere, is BS.

... Because of my job, i know quite a few cabbies, and have a lot of respect for a lot of them, but when they cross the line of being respectful and trying to make a buck, and being an aggressive prik, i dont put up with that.

Awd-Tsi
09-04-2010, 01:02 AM
I usually just go around them... If they cut me off, then maybe honk.

eb0i
09-04-2010, 01:31 AM
I think cabs here should be regulated like they are in Vegas. I hate the bullshit they pull here to pick up a fare that pose potential risks of accidents.

Jay911
09-04-2010, 11:14 AM
I hate to paint an entire industry with a wide brush, but taxi drivers in Calgary seem to be irresponsible at best no matter what part of town you're in.

It's changed somewhat since the airport contract was exclusively given to Associated, but for the longest time, the part of the NE where I work was inundated with cabs all day long, parking in residential and no-parking zones, driving across multiple lanes to do illegal u-turns, clogging up parking lots with 15 or more cabs "hanging out" (once at the parking lot at the end of the airport runway off McKnight, by where the Mohawk used to be, I counted 35 cabs idling)..

It's still not unusual - for me - to see a taxicab break about 7 rules of the road simultaneously, not because he's trying to maneuver to get a fare, but for some other inexplicable reason. Crossing five lanes of traffic in 2 car lengths, to go from the left turn only lane to the right turn only lane; barging out into traffic from a Tim's parking lot without waiting for their turn; and doing so many other things that imply they think they are above the law.

Tik-Tok
09-04-2010, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Jay911
and doing so many other things that imply they think they are above the law.

It's what they're used to "back home". So they continue the tradition here.

maggief
09-04-2010, 05:44 PM
Let them be. They mayyy be putting on deoderant.

dirtsniffer
09-04-2010, 06:07 PM
i hate when they double park on a residential street in front of an open spot.
I live in an older community and the roads are tight, maybe i would understand if there was no where to park while they waited for the fair but they are blocking an open spot:nut:

Maxt
09-04-2010, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
i hate when they double park on a residential street in front of an open spot.
I live in an older community and the roads are tight, maybe i would understand if there was no where to park while they waited for the fair but they are blocking an open spot:nut:
Exactly....
I hate it when they do that downtown as well, like on 11th ave, they stop in the traffic lane even with an open spot... I stopped being patient with these assholes.. They think everyone else should stop and wait for them, the rest of the world has places to be as well besides them... I just lay on the horn till they move, usually it embarrasses their fare enough that they tell the cabby to park it right..
They get some kinda of warped sense of duty and importance that goes to their head it seems.
Their other trick is to drive up the turn only lanes in rush hour and then push their way back into the straight through lanes once across the intersection. One tried it with me the other day, trying to cut in front of me which would have left me in the cross walk and lanes. We had a nice window to window conversation at the next light, which dropped the jaws of his passengers.

kevie88
09-04-2010, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by maggief
Let them be. They mayyy be putting on deoderant.

Awesome. :love:

Shlade
09-08-2010, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by eb0i
I think cabs here should be regulated like they are in Vegas. I hate the bullshit they pull here to pick up a fare that pose potential risks of accidents.

Dude.. Who is the girl in your sig?

whiskas
09-08-2010, 08:20 AM
Pretty sure its Maria Shay

rage2
09-08-2010, 08:33 AM
Fuck I hate cabbies. They park and sit in no parking zones waiting for a fare. On 8th street across the street from the Sandman, it's no parking there for a reason. Completely removes a lane for access to the alley, and a crazy blind spot when coming out of the alley. It's hard enough to find a gap between pedestrians there that doesn't look at all since I can't see anything coming out from the alley.

Then there's the parking zone in front of Rush. It's hogged by cabbies so it's impossible to pay for parking there during the day. Lunch around that area is next to impossible.

I usually stop, roll down my window, and tell them to get the fuck out. Surprisingly, it works most of the time.

Tik-Tok
09-08-2010, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by Shlade

Dude.. Who is the girl in your sig?

There's no girl in his sig, the guy with the long hair is from Red Dead Redemption.

There is however a girl in his avatar.

Tilly
09-08-2010, 09:51 AM
Cabbies should obey the rules just like everyone else. If they don't they should be punished through fines, or whatever. If they aren't, then just yell at the fuckers to move their ass if you have to, just like you would to any other driver on the road.

Unfortunately, cabbies drive all day long, so their conception of driving is much different than ours. When it becomes a way of life, one does certain things that seem out of the ordinary to others, but I honestly believe that they often have no idea. In which case, like I said before, just yell at the fuckers and make them aware once again.

iCreep
09-08-2010, 10:51 AM
i hate when you're at a set of green lights turning right and there's a cab infront of you, they make the right handed turn and decide to park right when they make the turn, making you having to take a wider birth around the turn.

Or again like people have said here double parking on a single lane road (one lane going each way), 10th ave on a weekend, 8th ave in front of flames central, west, met, v bar, 17th ave (17th ave is already really tight).

Shlade
09-08-2010, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

There's no girl in his sig, the guy with the long hair is from Red Dead Redemption.

There is however a girl in his avatar.

right... i means avatar!

Kennyredline
09-09-2010, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by rage2
Fuck I hate cabbies. They park and sit in no parking zones waiting for a fare. On 8th street across the street from the Sandman, it's no parking there for a reason. Completely removes a lane for access to the alley, and a crazy blind spot when coming out of the alley. It's hard enough to find a gap between pedestrians there that doesn't look at all since I can't see anything coming out from the alley.

Then there's the parking zone in front of Rush. It's hogged by cabbies so it's impossible to pay for parking there during the day. Lunch around that area is next to impossible.

I usually stop, roll down my window, and tell them to get the fuck out. Surprisingly, it works most of the time.
I see them park more cars in a taxi zone than they are allowed; the zone at 8 Ave. and 6 St, I saw one paxy with the back end of his cab in a crosswalk so he could be the third car in a 2-car taxi zone.:guns: