PDA

View Full Version : Booze Involved In Street Race Accident That Leaves Passenger Clinging To Life

Markham
09-04-2010, 12:06 PM
Hi guys

http://www.calgarybeacon.com/2010/09/booze-involved-in-street-race-accident-that-leaves-passenger-clinging-to-life/

Markham

kevie88
09-04-2010, 12:14 PM
Man people were going bananas last night, I must have had 20 different people trying to get me to 'race' them on my way home from the NE to the NW.

Yeah, that's what I want to do with my wife and 8 month old son in the backseat.

rage2
09-04-2010, 12:26 PM
Crowchild and Memorial, some of the trickiest corners in the city.

EK 2.0
09-04-2010, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by kevie88

Man people were going bananas last night, I must have had 20 different people trying to get me to 'race' them on my way home from the NE to the NW.

Yeah, that's what I want to do with my wife and 8 month old son in the backseat.

And I thought I had it bad...There wasn't a stretch of driving last night or a light where someone was trying to get me to do the same...

Originally posted by rage2

Crowchild and Memorial, some of the trickiest corners in the city.

Agreed...but also some of my favourite corners in the city...

XylathaneGTR
09-04-2010, 01:14 PM
Oh man, I drove by this at about 11:30 or so last night...

SB Crowchild was closed down entirely. When we saw what was left of that Integra...well, anyone who came out of that with "Minor Injuries" is very, very lucky.

e31
09-04-2010, 01:45 PM
Street racing with four passengers in your car. Sorry, but I think the doctors should snip the driver while he is still sedated

Muji
09-04-2010, 02:34 PM
This sort of thing happened to my best friend in high school, we were racing down a street at 1 a.m. ( I was in my car), he lost control and hit sideways a street lamp. He walked away with a broken foot and a written off 1970 or 72 Chevelle SS. We both now drive like nuns going to service on a Sunday, live and learn I guess. I can still recall clearly seeing in my rearview mirror the street lamp falling across the street and the exploding glass and sparks. I thought he was dead for sure.

Weapon_R
09-04-2010, 02:45 PM
That Integra was in horrible shape. Looked like the roof was caved in pretty bad. I drove by it at around midnight last night and couldn't see a second car anywhere.

cjay^
09-04-2010, 02:48 PM
Integras aren't race cars

slinkie
09-04-2010, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by cjay^

http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/7594/ragingazns.gif

anyway hope everyone recovers well

SkittleFreak
09-04-2010, 02:54 PM
It wasn't street racing, he is pissed off about the west lrt going in. That sign held up good. Car did not

Kloubek
09-04-2010, 03:03 PM
I did some pretty stupid stuff in my cars back in the day, but drinking and racing with 4 in the car? That's by far more retarded than anything I did.

Is there no way the city could step in and work with race city to allow more track time or something for less money to the users?

The ones still street racing are generally not exactly high performance cars... like the integra. I bet many can't afford to go to the track as it sits.

01RedDX
09-04-2010, 03:12 PM

EK 2.0
09-04-2010, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Muji

This sort of thing happened to my best friend in high school, we were racing down a street at 1 a.m. ( I was in my car), he lost control and hit sideways a street lamp. He walked away with a broken foot and a written off 1970 or 72 Chevelle SS. We both now drive like nuns going to service on a Sunday, live and learn I guess. I can still recall clearly seeing in my rearview mirror the street lamp falling across the street and the exploding glass and sparks. I thought he was dead for sure.

In front of James Fowler??

Muji
09-04-2010, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by EK 2.0

In front of James Fowler??

No not in Calgary.

EK 2.0
09-04-2010, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Muji

No not in Calgary.

Oh ok...cause back in the day when I was in grade 10...there was an identical incident to what you described that happened in front of my high school...Right down to the type of vehicle...

lellowrx7
09-04-2010, 03:33 PM
thats crazy
if your gonna race make sure its only your life in danger dont risk other peoples cause you wanna have an adrenaline rush :thumbsdow

rage2
09-04-2010, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
Looks like someone pulled a madsella. Same corner and number of passengers too IIRC.
That was a few blocks away.

Graham_A_M
09-04-2010, 04:38 PM
interesting on that first page (towards the bottom of it) of just how many accidents are related to drinking & driving/riding. :nut:

How fucking stupid are people? :banghead:

EM1FTW
09-04-2010, 08:40 PM
Says the Driver is clinging to life, the passengers got away fine. so dumb

He's the aftermath of it
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs152.ash2/40946_10150239922355290_583770289_14636558_31538_n.jpg

StreetRacerX
09-04-2010, 09:57 PM
Any reason why that night was so full of idiots?

xerofx
09-04-2010, 10:29 PM
for all of you who cant get this story right the crash was NOT a street race and the driver was not drunk it seems like every story has to be twisted! the driver has minor injuries and the others, one of them is in stable condition and sent home another is in critical condition but stable and the other is criticial life threating conditions so for all the people out there who THINK they know what they are talking about get the story right before you want to say you know everything and start hating.

BrknFngrs
09-04-2010, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by xerofx
for all of you who cant get this story right the crash was NOT a street race and the driver was not drunk it seems like every story has to be twisted! the driver has minor injuries and the others, one of them is in stable condition and sent home another is in critical condition but stable and the other is criticial life threating conditions so for all the people out there who THINK they know what they are talking about get the story right before you want to say you know everything and start hating.

Since you clearly know more than everyone else here why don't you enlighten us? Please explain how this isn't a case of driving too fast/too stupid. Maybe then everyone would stop "hating":rolleyes:

duaner
09-04-2010, 11:10 PM
http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20100904/CGY_Street_race_100904/20100904/?hub=CalgaryHome

According to the news, witnesses said it was a race and police think alcohol may have been a factor. Just where did you get your information? Was this one of your friends?

If someone is speeding so bad that they lose control, they deserve some hate.

LEGiiT
09-05-2010, 01:34 AM
This may sound ridiculous, but I am glad the passengers are the ones not seriously injured, because someone stupid enough to race with other people out of family in the car is just plain ludicrous. None the less, I hope the driver recovers well.

1-Bar
09-05-2010, 01:47 AM
^^but the passengers in the car could have/tried to stop the driver from street racing. Also, if alcohol is indeed a factor, it was their choice to step into the vehicle in the first place....

infected
09-05-2010, 01:54 AM
Anyone know the name of the driver?

Stalker Hacker
09-05-2010, 02:19 AM
I'm not sure if I should release the name of who I think the driver was without being 100% sure first.

If it is who I'm thinking of, he's a Beyond member too.

gyu
09-05-2010, 02:39 AM
Damn that Integra got f'd up :eek: .

I may have seen that car on Friday during the day on Shaganappi trail, guy was gunning it up the hill and weaving through traffic, funny cause I was doing speed limit and caught up to him on country hills :D .
I'm only thinking it's the same car because you don't see Type R's that often, and this dude was driving pretty wreckless.

infected
09-05-2010, 03:17 AM
I think the wheels set it off...

Tik-Tok
09-05-2010, 09:34 AM

All we have to go by is the multitude of newspaper articles quoting witness's that say they were street racing. If you know the facts than please tell us.

Oh, and a street race doesn't have to involve a bunch of retards lines up on the street. 2 cars trying to get ahead of each other, faster than the speed limit on any road, in any situation can be considered racing.

revelations
09-05-2010, 09:49 AM

I've seen first-hand events twisted by the media enough times to believe your story.

For eg. if booze was found in the back seat of the car - but the driver wasnt drinking - my understanding is that alcohol is still suspected to be a factor until proven otherwise.
"...and alcohol may have been involved" (CPS statement)

The general publics' definition of a "street race" brings up mental images of GTA-style driving that has been going on for more than a few minutes and a few blocks.

This is not always the case.

If the teg and the red car simply accelerated away from a red light for eg. and dude crashed 4 seconds later, its still considered a "street race" - albeit a pathetic attempt at one.

I think many of us have done the same - accelerate from a red light fairly quickly in order to merge ahead of traffic. Is that street racing?

But you are correct in stating that the driver suffered minor injuries only - pulled from the CPS report.

xerofx
09-05-2010, 09:59 AM
Yes I know them, the passengers unfortunately were too drunk to offer an opinion of the drivers driving. The driver DID NOT blow over.

I'm sure the media and police use shit like this to their advantage to get their point accross about speeding etc.

None of the passengers that are coherant can recall any race and the driver stated the same (does admit to speeding tho)as all were questioned separately and due to their condition were unable to communicate prior to make up a story.

Everyone is praying for the Left rear passenger who is in life threating condition :(

Spock out!

miguex
09-05-2010, 10:22 AM

miguex
09-05-2010, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by StreetRacerX
Any reason why that night was so full of idiots?

"Anyone with information about the red vehicle involved is asked to contact the Calgary Police Service Traffic Section at 403-567-4000. "

StreetRacerX, is not your car red? :bigpimp: lol j/k

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/8924/stealthsig.jpg

Lex350
09-05-2010, 11:01 AM
Yes I know them, the passengers unfortunately were too drunk to offer an opinion of the drivers driving. The driver DID NOT blow over.

I'm sure the media and police use shit like this to their advantage to get their point accross about speeding etc.

None of the passengers that are coherant can recall any race and the driver stated the same (does admit to speeding tho)as all were questioned separately and due to their condition were unable to communicate prior to make up a story.

Everyone is praying for the Left rear passenger who is in life threating condition :(

Spock out!

Whereas some details may be sensationalized I'm also sure they are based in some truth. Bottom line is dude was driving like a douche and but his friend’s lives on the line....but I'm sure he's a "chill" guy.

maggief
09-05-2010, 11:10 AM
prayers with the driver and all the legal bs hes going thru. brutal:(

xerofx
09-05-2010, 12:32 PM
all of u should shut up i was in the car and we wernt drinking and racing my friend took a turn to fast and lost controll of his car..and it ended in a bad decison...

5fivespeed
09-05-2010, 12:42 PM
Edited.

Aleks
09-05-2010, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by cjay^

Actually the R is as close as you could get to a street legal race car. ;)

maggief
09-05-2010, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Aleks

Actually the R is as close as you could get to a street legal race car in terms of integras. ;)

fixed for ya

adidas
09-05-2010, 01:03 PM

Spock out! [/B]

all of u should shut up i was in the car and we wernt drinking and racing my friend took a turn to fast and lost controll of his car..and it ended in a bad decison...

SilverGS
09-05-2010, 01:16 PM
Regardless if they were "racing" or not the article stated they where clocked at 140km/hour in a 50 zone.

Not sure if they mean a cop actually got them on radar or someone estimated but either way they were going way to fast.

Hope your friend pulls through.

sputnik
09-05-2010, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
Looks like someone pulled a madsella. Same corner and number of passengers too IIRC.

Uh. Wasn't that on the bridge over Memorial that goes to the zoo?

BrknFngrs
09-05-2010, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by maggief
prayers with the driver and all the legal bs hes going thru. brutal:(

Your compassion is for the driver??

In regards to the "legal bs"; are you suggesting that charges shouldn't be laid?

Tik-Tok
09-05-2010, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by SilverGS
Regardless if they were "racing" or not the article stated they where clocked at 140km/hour in a 50 zone.

Not sure if they mean a cop actually got them on radar or someone estimated but either way they were going way to fast.

:facepalm: :banghead: :facepalm: :banghead:

Please read the article again.

SilverGS
09-05-2010, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

:facepalm: :banghead: :facepalm: :banghead:

Please read the article again.

You are right. I completely missed the sentence previous to that statement referring to a different situation.

Reading > Me

Regardless, I would imagine he was going quite fast to lose control and cause that kind of damage

Aleks
09-05-2010, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by maggief

fixed for ya

In terms of any car of that vintage for that money. Even by today's standards not many cars are as fun to drive.

Too bad this one ended up getting destroyed.

ericchoweg
09-05-2010, 06:45 PM
no sympathy for anyone in the car if the driver was drunk

RIP to the type r

Disoblige
09-05-2010, 09:09 PM
Well, if xerofx was in the car and is defending the driver, then it's likely that they were all fine with the driver driving the way he was, speeding or not.

Sucks that you guys were in an accident for sure and hope the driver is all right. But really consider you guys lucky you survived this stunt. Lesson learned hopefully.

Maxx Mazda
09-05-2010, 10:03 PM
A guy I work(ed?) with was apparently the one driving. His uncle works with me also and relayed the news that he was in hospital. From what I was told, the driver was NOT intoxicated but the other three were, and there was no racing involved but he did take that corner way to fast and lost it. This is just off what the uncle of the driver told me, not sure how much merit it has.

One of the passengers who was injured the worst was not wearing a seatbelt.

cjay^
09-05-2010, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Aleks

Actually the R is as close as you could get to a street legal race car. ;)

Lol

In all seriousness though I really hope the passenger who is in life threatening condition survives. It's awful to think that someone who obviously was trusted by his buddies to be their designated driver had such poor judgement and risked the lives of his 3 buddies, as well as himself, probably just to show off his vtechs.

CHER
09-06-2010, 12:15 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by e31
Street racing with four passengers in your car. Sorry, but I think the doctors should snip the driver while he is still sedated [/QUOTE

Before u say a nasty comment like that. You may want to get your facts straight! BUDDY! Maybe we should snip your lips for saying something so rude. :p

CHER
09-06-2010, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by infected
Anyone know the name of the driver?

The driver's name is mynyobiznes!

infected
09-06-2010, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by CHER

The driver's name is mynyobiznes!

Already know who it is.

maggief
09-06-2010, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Maxx Mazda
A guy I work(ed?) with was apparently the one driving. His uncle works with me also and relayed the news that he was in hospital. From what I was told, the driver was NOT intoxicated but the other three were, and there was no racing involved but he did take that corner way to fast and lost it. This is just off what the uncle of the driver told me, not sure how much merit it has.

One of the passengers who was injured the worst was not wearing a seatbelt.

1/2 the people in the thread have their foots in their mouths. Idiots :rolleyes:

KrisYYC
09-06-2010, 02:04 PM
I work with MaxxMazda and can confirm what he's saying. The driver is OK it's one of the passengers that's clinging to life. Now as far as racing is concerned, well none of us know for sure.

I'm surprised actually because the driver (while young) seemed to have a very good head on his shoulders. Another example of smart people making stupid decisions I guess.

Hope all recovers.

Redlyne_mr2
09-07-2010, 03:37 PM
Reliable source has confirmed the driver is currently being held by police. He was on drugs and was drunk at the time of the accident. :dunno:

Kennyredline
09-07-2010, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige
Well, if xerofx was in the car and is defending the driver, then it's likely that they were all fine with the driver driving the way he was, speeding or not.

Sucks that you guys were in an accident for sure and hope the driver is all right. But really consider you guys lucky you survived this stunt. Lesson learned doubtfully.
Fixed.

Call me a cynic.

Xtrema
09-07-2010, 05:37 PM
I'm disappointed at lack of VTEC jokes in this thread.

revelations
09-07-2010, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
I'm disappointed at lack of VTEC jokes in this thread.

http://cdn0.knowyourmeme.com/i/2203/original/vtec1.jpg