PDA

View Full Version : selling work truck - what to do...

AndyL
09-05-2010, 11:04 AM
Well, getting grouchy with the lowballers... Trying to decide how best to get the anti-christ sold. Don't have a bunch of cash to dump into it; and pretty much just want to get it moved...

Any thoughts on what to do - could dump about 200$ in - if it's going to move it quicker...

There's still a bunch of body work todo; all those little door dings & rock chips...

Could use a good buffing/waxing - basically continuation of ^^

It's a typical Cheby WT interior - really could stand a detailing but - it is a WT interior; rubber floors and vinyl...

Any thoughts/suggestions?

sxtasy
09-05-2010, 11:10 AM
I think your truck is overpriced

AndyL
09-05-2010, 11:20 AM
Not really - going by comparables; I'm about 500$ above the blown engine/tranny C/K3500s and 1500$ below the lower mileage diesels... So :dunno: Not a whole lot of crewcab 1tons to compare against, but still in the range...

Abeo
09-05-2010, 12:06 PM
Clean the interior... it only costs your time, and the interior looks stinky from the photos

Is the seat cover there for a reason? It makes me think the seat is trashed

Grab some 1500 grit and plast-x, shine up the headlights

Consider getting the pink stripe removed

Is that rust on the front fenders?

M.alex
09-05-2010, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by AndyL
Not really - going by comparables; I'm about 500$ above the blown engine/tranny C/K3500s and 1500$ below the lower mileage diesels... So :dunno: Not a whole lot of crewcab 1tons to compare against, but still in the range...

Range doesn't matter - are people buying it or not? I sure as heck wouldn't look at that with 400,000k for 4500.

It's just like selling a car - I priced my old g35 a few thousand below the average market prices on kijijij, autotrader, etc....; got mostly low-ballers, didn't sell it until I dropped even more off of it.

It's nice to price it on the low-end of the average market, but for all you know the market isn't moving at all at the prices you're seeing.

Sugarphreak
09-05-2010, 12:28 PM

maggief
09-05-2010, 12:29 PM
part out 7 lug nuts?

ddduke
09-05-2010, 12:54 PM
Selling a work truck brings out the worst of the worst low ballers.
You have idiots that come and tell you they want money off due to scratches and wear, even though you state it's a work horse.

That's why when I sold that crew cab gmc earlier this week I just put it up for cheap enough that it would move over night, it wasn't even on kijiji for 5 hours before it was sold. I also stated that anyone who came with insufficient funds or even attempted to low ball me would be told to fuck off. Just lower your price.

I actually had some moron from Airdrie drive all the way out to Springbank with $200 too little, I told him to hit an atm, apparently he didn't have it in his account. He didn't get the truck.

Scuderia
09-05-2010, 01:30 PM
One thing you always have to know is people will lowball you no matter what the price is. If its free, theyll want to fuck your sister and take your hamster. Your truck is overpriced though, if I were looking for a work truck, why would I pay $4500 with something that has 400k on it, when I can get something with a quarter of the mileage for the same price, even if I have to fix some things on it. Its sad how the market works, but the truth is, theres no such thing as market value, book value, etc. All that counts is how much someone will pay for it. Period.

AndyL
09-05-2010, 01:45 PM
Nah - original box was shot to shit after 15 years of construction work :) It was long ago ditched (almost unsafe - box sides were going to blow off eventually).

Going by the options out there - there's a bunch of C3500s in alberta, 3-4k = blown engine or tranny (except for the flatdeck extended cab in innisfail for 2k - but it's higher mileage, blows blue - and a standard - been listed since I bought this one (went and looked at it back then)) or has major body damage. Then there's the 6-8k ~200k diesels...

It's a 15yr old chevy truck - of course it's got ripped seats. Even 5year old chevies have ripped seats - we're not talking a mercedes here :)

Might just go take it out to regal for next saturdays sale...

master hec0
09-05-2010, 07:19 PM
too many kms for the price and the box also would throw alot of people off.

Unknown303
09-05-2010, 07:36 PM
It still might be a little over priced. I sold my 2001 3/4 tone duramax for 8k. Those older body style ones have really fallen in price. I wouldn't gauge your pricing on what others are listed at. A lot of those people will have those vehicles listed forever and never sell them.

Graham_A_M
09-05-2010, 08:56 PM
Nah - original box was shot to shit after 15 years of construction work :) It was long ago ditched (almost unsafe - box sides were going to blow off eventually).

Going by the options out there - there's a bunch of C3500s in alberta, 3-4k = blown engine or tranny (except for the flatdeck extended cab in innisfail for 2k - but it's higher mileage, blows blue - and a standard - been listed since I bought this one (went and looked at it back then)) or has major body damage. Then there's the 6-8k ~200k diesels...

It's a 15yr old chevy truck - of course it's got ripped seats. Even 5year old chevies have ripped seats - we're not talking a mercedes here :)

Might just go take it out to regal for next saturdays sale...

LOL, you'll get $1k for it at Regals, $2k at best, dont be ridiculous.

Personally, I wouldn't pay $4500 for THAT truck, it looks pretty beat; and with 400k on the clock Im sure its getting pretty tired. Im sure you'll move it for $3300-3500. Thats a decent deal on it, but $4500 is a bit much all things considered.

Meback
09-05-2010, 09:02 PM
^ I'd agree, a work truck with 400,000km for 4500 is quite steep. Honestly I don't even think I'd pick that up for two. :nut:

Chandler_Racing
09-05-2010, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Meback
^ I'd agree, a work truck with 400,000km for 4500 is quite steep. Honestly I don't even think I'd pick that up for two. :nut:

$2,000 and the truck would sell.

I agree though the price is insane.

AndyL
09-05-2010, 09:10 PM
Dunno about that - last couple times I've been to regal the crewcab 1ton DRWs weren't going cheap - even the 70s vintage ones.

Closest offer was 3700 so far - no trucks nowhere near tired/worn out - compression still strong, transmission still good and strong (even hauling my camper) brakes just redone - Pretty sure the kms are mostly highway (given I brought it back outta buttfuck nowhere).

Scuderia
09-05-2010, 09:57 PM
Dunno about that - last couple times I've been to regal the crewcab 1ton DRWs weren't going cheap - even the 70s vintage ones.

Closest offer was 3700 so far - no trucks nowhere near tired/worn out - compression still strong, transmission still good and strong (even hauling my camper) brakes just redone - Pretty sure the kms are mostly highway (given I brought it back outta buttfuck nowhere).

Lol my man, if someone seriously offered you 3700 dollars, call them and tell them to come take the truck. Even in a regular car sale, you usually negotiate ~$200-$600. Yours is overpriced and he still had the decency to only negotiate $800 off. I can assure you, you will not get more than $1500 for it at Regal. Sell it for $3700, do the damn thing.

Vanner
09-05-2010, 10:18 PM
Uhh, maybe if you try take off the pink body stripes to start somewhere? That cost you nothing but your time, and look in the interior whatever needs cleaning.

Since you had stated that your truck runs by propane - I'm sure there's not many people who knows anything about the data/info with propane-driven trucks. Sure, I know it's great in using that fuel for work related like yours ... maybe if you thrown in a few words about how good it runs in your ad? Tell them it's not that hard to re-fill the tank.

Something like that... this IS a work truck anyway so people should expect for that!

Graham_A_M
09-05-2010, 10:25 PM

Well perhaps you're having a hard time proving that its in that decent shape mechanically. You should have it mechanically inspected at a reputable GM dealership and include a pic of the mechanical inspection sheet on the kijiji ad, and include it in person.
(I personally have a bit of a hard time believing a WORK truck with 400k is in THAT good of shape, but)....
$3700 is fair, I would have grabbed that in heartbeat.
you can try your luck at Regals, just make sure you set a reserve if they allow that. I've seen some really shoddy vehicles pass through there; and others that should have had a MUCH better final bid. Only they didn't get it because it was (at the end of the day) an auction service without any inspections or way checking the vehicle out other then a quick "tire-kicker" look over. :dunno:
Hey if you're dead set on it, by all means. Its just your appreciation for Regals is vastly different then anything I've personally experienced there.

EDIT: Its not a bad truck considering its age (just looking at its pics from you ad) but I think the fact that its a crew cab 1 ton AND a gasser is what kills it. You're right it is in fact a Kyoto Anti-christ, 32L/100km's? Holy fuck-cakes that nuts. I cant even imagine a 454 BBC with current gas prices. Thats probably the real deal-killer right there.
I used to have a '95 Silverado with a 5.7L auto, and THAT was horrendous on gas. A 454 BBC? fuck that... honestly. Diesel for me please....

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-05-2010, 10:28 PM
I go to Regal to look at beaters and make fun of things. I would have taken $3700.

corsvette
09-05-2010, 10:49 PM
Do you remember the Auto Trader? Try it in the $5000 and under trader, it hits all those out of the way rual places where you may find lots of guys who need a truck like that, to me all it needs is a flip up gooseneck hitch and it would make a awesome farm truck...you could even get a big round bale on it!

Seriously though, i found the trader still works for oddball work/farm type stuff, lots of the rual guys don't even have high speed net yet, and still buy the paper to find their next rig.

Good luck with the sale!

CUG
09-05-2010, 11:05 PM
410,000km's on it? 4500 for an asking price? Seems monstrous dude.

AndyL
09-06-2010, 12:09 AM
Maybe the trader... Kinda forgot about that.

Yep fits a round bale quite nicely (fits 2 actually with a strap to keep the rear pulled forward).

Shh between you and me last fill was 33.7L/100 :) Of course that included about 370km hauling the 2100lb TC and a 5500lb bobcat trailer behind :rofl:

Propane is the trucks lifesaver - oil always looks clean as a whistle; lots of stories of cabs getting 500k out of those old 350/302s without anything but basic maintenance (ok so the transmission, suspension, brakes, steering didn't last that long - but the engines did).

Abeo
09-06-2010, 12:31 AM
Before you list on autotrader, spend a couple hours cleaning, take some myspace angle pictures... from your beyond ad, it seems like you aren't trying hard to sell it. People judge a book by its cover, so when they see a dusty interior, dirty tires, and a neglected body, they may wonder what else has been neglected.

A little armourall and elbow grease may be the lipstick this pig needs

Tip: the rubber floors can be cleaned up to look great, I've done it dozens of times on those trucks. Windex does a good final job of getting the black back... and if you use a non-oily vinyl renewer on the floor, give it a wash with mild soap and water to remove the slickness while keeping a nice rich black. Hit the floor mats with simple green and a scrub brush multiple times, if it greys on you, chuck them and put in a set of $10 princess auto mats

Weapon_R
09-06-2010, 01:07 AM
I've been to regal enough to know that it won't get more than $500-1000.

Axe
09-06-2010, 07:37 AM
$4,500 for any vehicle with 400k plus km on it seems high, IMO.

Clean it up as previous posters have suggested - when i look at cars if it's not somewhat clean, especially inside, that tells me the individual doesn't respect the vehicle and if the interior looks really dirty (which it does in this case), it makes me wonder how they treat the rest of the vehicle, especially the engine. My two cents. Good luck nonetheless with the sale.

AndyL
09-06-2010, 01:31 PM
Seriously starting to wonder if this is more a generational thing...

When growing up - I was taught to ignore the lipstick (in fact - when you saw a lotta lipstick on a pig - you dug a lot deeper). But you guys seem to be all-over it? 410k is actually a little low for a work truck and raises alarms - it's only 27k / year - I was taught to look for 30-36, then you know it's been used daily and hasn't been a problem and been parked for years...

Also taught to watch for those vehicles that had full fluid changes before the sale - usually a sign they're hiding something... Funny how things seem so different from what I was taught to look for vs what you younger folks seem to expect?

Ah well :) Lipsticking her up today... See what happens...

M.alex
09-06-2010, 01:39 PM
True, but here's what it comes down to - we're the potential buyer, you'r ethe seller.

We're not buying, so you have to cave in to us. :)

Abeo
09-06-2010, 01:49 PM
Seriously starting to wonder if this is more a generational thing...

When growing up - I was taught to ignore the lipstick (in fact - when you saw a lotta lipstick on a pig - you dug a lot deeper). But you guys seem to be all-over it? 410k is actually a little low for a work truck and raises alarms - it's only 27k / year - I was taught to look for 30-36, then you know it's been used daily and hasn't been a problem and been parked for years...

Also taught to watch for those vehicles that had full fluid changes before the sale - usually a sign they're hiding something... Funny how things seem so different from what I was taught to look for vs what you younger folks seem to expect?

Ah well :) Lipsticking her up today... See what happens...

I'm pretty sure I'm around your age, regardless I learned from guys 10+ years my age. Its not like you are throwing a coat of bondo/tremclad over rust, or painting weathered tires black, you are just making the truck look nicer... who doesn't like a nicer looking truck?

AndyL
09-07-2010, 09:39 AM
I learned mostly from the guys who were 30+ years my senior... And mostly farmers - so perhaps thats the real rub...

I was taught you show the vehicle for sale in it's normal condition... When you've got things clean as a whistle, it does (and should) raise alarm bells.

Started body work yesterday, dealing with all those little dents/rubs/surface rust, took off the side stripes (though regretting that now - they hid a lot) from the drivers side. Got the dash etc cleaned/armor-all'd. Finish up the body work tonight with some touchup paint and clear coat... See what I can do about those floors (cleaners brooms and hose didn't do much - think it's mostly UV damage more than dirt/dust).

911fever
09-07-2010, 09:59 AM
worth $1000 max the truck looks beat. Someone offered you $3750? TAKE IT IMMEDIATELY

ExtraSlow
09-07-2010, 10:41 AM
There's a pretty limited market for lower end work trucks in the city.
If someone wants it for thier business, they'll spend $10k plus to get something a little more presentable. I was seling a 1 ton 70's ford last year, and had to really work to get $500 for it. Truck ran parfectly too.

I think four things are hurting you. 1) Propane, buyers prefer stock. 2) ugly, nobody wants to represent thier business with an ugly truck, so that's half your market gone. 3) dirty, buyers assume you are too lazy to keep it clean, so you must be too lazy to maintain it. 4) Price.

Doesn't matter what people 30 years older than you say, they aren't the ones looking for work trucks.

Don't bother taking it to regal. You'll get less than $2k there.

Good luck with your sale.

CapnCrunch
09-07-2010, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
There's a pretty limited market for lower end work trucks in the city.
If someone wants it for thier business, they'll spend $10k plus to get something a little more presentable. I was seling a 1 ton 70's ford last year, and had to really work to get $500 for it. Truck ran parfectly too.

I think four things are hurting you. 1) Propane, buyers prefer stock. 2) ugly, nobody wants to represent thier business with an ugly truck, so that's half your market gone. 3) dirty, buyers assume you are too lazy to keep it clean, so you must be too lazy to maintain it. 4) Price.

Doesn't matter what people 30 years older than you say, they aren't the ones looking for work trucks.

Don't bother taking it to regal. You'll get less than $2k there.

Good luck with your sale.

+1, first thing I look for in any vehicle. Oh really, you had your car 8 years, never took the time to wash it once, and expect me to believe that you were on the ball with mechanical maintenance.