PDA

View Full Version : boiling water

Grogador
09-05-2010, 08:56 PM
I like tea. Unfortunately my electric kettle gets gunked to shit with this white rock/chalk deposit. It has a filter in the spout, but the chunks still pour out sometimes which can totally ruin my tea experience. I rinse the filter and kettle every few days. I'm assuming this is calcium or other minerals from our hard water. Can you recommend an easier/cleaner way to make water hot? :D

potatopineapple
09-05-2010, 09:01 PM
Buy some CLR and soak in then rinse it out well?

realazy
09-05-2010, 09:08 PM
Vinegar would be safer option, just fill it with vinegar and let it soak. Rinse it out real well to get rid of the taste.

I see that's not what you're asking. So why not microwave the water to heat it up?

topmade
09-05-2010, 09:11 PM
We only pour filtered water in our kettle. I don't think it really matters which one you use, but we use a brita. This slows down the build ups, but it still happens so once every few months or so we'll soak it in vinegar overnight to clean it out. Our current kettle is about 3 years old and it's as clean as the day we got it. The spout filters only stop chunks to get out, but that doesn't solve the main problem of it building up in the first place.

dj_rice
09-05-2010, 11:04 PM
Cleaner/easier way to boil water...put water in pot, turn on stove and boil.

Disoblige
09-05-2010, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
Cleaner/easier way to boil water...put water in pot, turn on stove and boil.
Yeah.

Or, just go out and get a hot-water boiler. Panasonic makes them, as well as other brands like Honeywell, etc.

Instant hot-water every time you wake up. I love it.

Grogador
09-06-2010, 01:47 AM
I have a faucet-mounted Brita but I don't find it makes much difference in the build-up. By "rinse" I meant with vinegar and no I ain't putting CLR in my kettle.

Stove pot was definitely an option, I'm just wondering how it would be different. I'd just be drinking the crap in a more diluted form since it probably wouldn't stick to the electric heater element. Hot water boiler sounds interesting and I'll look into it...

maxomilll
09-06-2010, 01:50 AM
boil the water on the stove?

TomcoPDR
09-06-2010, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by maxomilll
boil the water on the stove?

You mean you don't have a wood burn stove?

Yea OP, I use the Panasonic water boiler, yes it builds up, yes I use vinegar to rinse it out overnight, twice if I have too...

Not much you can do... I wouldn't use CLR neither.

Tik-Tok
09-06-2010, 10:47 AM
Vinegar/water 1:2, boil, repeat until clean. NO CLR. Oh, and put it in the sink, because it'll foam up and pour out.

Or you could just buy another kettle for $15.

potatopineapple
09-06-2010, 11:10 AM
Haha So many CLR haters, they even use it on a coffee maker in the commercial. If you google "CLR in kettle" it's a pretty common practice. But I guess if vinegar works just as well it's all good.

DRKM
09-07-2010, 02:09 AM
An expensive option: Water softener? I never have any build up in electruc kettle. You can also buy these little buddles of steel wool that sit in the kettle and collect the calcium build up.

CUG
09-07-2010, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by Grogador
I like tea. Unfortunately my electric kettle gets gunked to shit with this white rock/chalk deposit. It has a filter in the spout, but the chunks still pour out sometimes which can totally ruin my tea experience. Lol, bro, that made me laugh.

I use vinegar, but I think someone already said that.

ExtraSlow
09-07-2010, 06:08 AM
I use CLR. Calgary has very hard water, lots of dissolved minerals. They won't hurt you, but they do need to be cleaned out of your kettle once in a while, or they'll reduce it's efficiency.
CLR works better than vinegar, I use it a couple times a year.

whiskas
09-07-2010, 08:59 AM
Are you emptying out the kettle after each use or do you keep water sitting in it?

Emptying it out right after it's done helps cut down on the buildup.

Alterac
09-07-2010, 10:56 AM
+1 Vinigar, I just put a bunch in my kettle, turn it on a couple times, clean as a vistle :D .. Same with the coffee maker.

Princess Auto has undersink water filters on sale in the surplus section right now. Rainfresh brand, with brackets / etc.