PDA

View Full Version : Optical illusion to jolt reckless drivers in B.C.

speedog
09-06-2010, 10:13 AM
B.C. is pretty much where I would expect to hear of such a thing being tried out - that is, a 3D optical illusion image is being used on the streets of West Vancouver in an attempt to jolt reckless drivers into reality. Link (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/british-columbia/driving-a-message-home-with-an-optical-illusion/article1693547/) to story here - personally, I have to question it's potential effectiveness and what unintended incidents that may come about as a result of this optical illusion being in place.

Example of expected image to be used...

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/3476382.bin?size=620x400

CUG
09-06-2010, 10:15 AM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

So the driver, who might be 10 seconds more retarded than a normal person, will sit there for that much longer locking up traffic until they sort out in their head what's happening?

Majestic12
09-06-2010, 10:33 AM
Damn that kid has some bigass feet.

tobypaddock
09-06-2010, 10:37 AM
fucking retarded

Tik-Tok
09-06-2010, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by CUG
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

So the driver, who might be 10 seconds more retarded than a normal person, will sit there for that much longer locking up traffic until they sort out in their head what's happening?

Or they'll just be used to seeing a little girl in the middle of traffic, and when there's an ACTUAL child, they'll run over them :rofl:

UndrgroundRider
09-06-2010, 10:50 AM
That has to be one of the worst ideas ever postulated.

On top of all of the valid things said above, what happens when someone puts their brake pedal through the floor and the car behind them rear ends them?

kvg
09-06-2010, 11:20 AM
old people are gonna crash their cars with this new fangled technology!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Canucks3322
09-06-2010, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by UndrgroundRider
That has to be one of the worst ideas ever postulated.

On top of all of the valid things said above, what happens when someone puts their brake pedal through the floor and the car behind them rear ends them?

Why the fuck are you driving so fast and close to someone in a parking lot (or anywhere for that matter)? Idiot. They're not putting them on freeways, they're putting them in places where bad drivers like you would be driving....

OG*crxboi
09-06-2010, 11:34 AM
You can see right threw that what little sprout.

calgary403
09-06-2010, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Canucks3322

Why the fuck are you driving so fast and close to someone in a parking lot (or anywhere for that matter)? Idiot. They're not putting them on freeways, they're putting them in places where bad drivers like you would be driving....

You should learn how to read. He never said he was the one driving fast and close to someone in a parking lot. I hate to burst your bubble but it happens sometimes. Incase you never realized there's some pretty dumb drivers around. I would not want to risk having the whole back of my car smashed up for a fucking electronic light show that doesn't need to be there in the first place. Idiot.

e31
09-06-2010, 12:41 PM
Or what if some old fart plows through a group of kids playing road hockey in the street.

"I thought it was those newfangled speedbump thingies painted on the road; That's why I didn't stop. Screaming? What screaming? I can't hear too good anymore since the one time back in 65 where..."

badatusrnames
09-06-2010, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Or they'll just be used to seeing a little girl in the middle of traffic, and when there's an ACTUAL child, they'll run over them :rofl:

My thoughts exactly, they are just going to make drivers accustomed to running over small children who hang out in the middle of the road way...

kvg
09-06-2010, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by e31
Or what if some old fart plows through a group of kids playing road hockey in the street.

"I thought it was those newfangled speedbump thingies painted on the road; That's why I didn't stop. Screaming? What screaming? I can't hear too good anymore since the one time back in 65 where..." :thumbsup:
new excuse to get out of trouble for running little fuckers over

Vanner
09-06-2010, 01:31 PM
Interesting idea to use for the purpose of slowing down the dumb drivers ... NOT! To use the image of "the little girl with the ball" is so old. Here's a better replacement for an image...

Use the 3D image of a cop holding a radar gun aiming to you!

That should work with greater results. After all, wherever a driver see a cop with the radar gun - the driver always quickly slow down anyway. Even I do and I've seen people did the same thing on road.

calgary403
09-06-2010, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Vanner
Interesting idea to use for the purpose of slowing down the dumb drivers ... NOT! To use the image of "the little girl with the ball" is so old. Here's a better replacement for an image...

Use the 3D image of a cop holding a radar gun aiming to you!

That should work with greater results. After all, wherever a driver see a cop with the radar gun - the driver always quickly slow down anyway. Even I do and I've seen people did the same thing on road.

I think if they did that there would be too many people aiming for the cop and speeding up :rofl:

TomcoPDR
09-06-2010, 07:54 PM
I can see that working as shock therapy for delusional peophiles. Touch the fake little girl, you get a 15,000v shock, repeat, another shock, repeat...

maggief
09-06-2010, 07:57 PM
i'd probably draw a moustache or cum stain on her mouth. ftw

mucat
09-07-2010, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

That's my first thought...cry wolf.

In a more totalitarian country...people who made stupid suggestion like this got beat up...

Awd-Tsi
09-07-2010, 01:03 AM
I have that same tie

revelations
09-07-2010, 11:00 AM
I really wonder where they got this idea from.
Has someone else tried it first?

Seems too dumb to make sense.... but seeing as it will be placed in a school zone (and not a freeway), if it does its job then I say :thumbsup:

Sugarphreak
09-07-2010, 11:59 AM