PDA

View Full Version : Should I make this trade?

Kloubek
09-06-2010, 08:25 PM
Firstly, this is NOT an attempt to generate interest in my car, so don't even go there. I'm a regular member and don't fuck around; I have a legitmate question.

I have three cars for sale, and I believe all three cars are priced very, very well. In particular, my FD RX7 has been for sale FOREVER, and I now have it down to a price I quite honestly have only seen once before in my life - and that was on the same car before *I* bought it. Other than that, I've never seen a LHD so cheap. (Firm at 12.5k) I've resigned myself to losing money on this car. I don't know why it has not sold. But the fact is that it HASN'T sold. And with the colder weather coming, it may not sell until next spring.

Ok... cut to the chase here. Today I got an offer from Edmonton. A guy wants to trade straight across for a 95 M3 with 85k on the odo. New clutch, mint condition.

I've tried to search for prices on older, low-k M3's, but haven't found much. There was a white one on here recently which had higher k, and seemed to be priced fairly high - though I am unsure what he actually sold it for.

Bottom line: Do you guys think his car is worth the same, if not more than my FD? If nothing else, I believe the market for an M3 might be greater than that for an RX7.... do you agree? Some people really shy away from the rotaries.

Both cars have low k, and both cars are in excellent condition.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rickydasphotography/sets/72157624686297245/

I did a check on Kelly Bluebook for zip code 90210. :) It priced the M3 at about 10k retail price, and the RX7 at a (ridiculous) 17k. I think that evaluation is totally out to lunch, but it does have me thinking maybe this trade would not be in my best interests....

Thoughts?

ercchry
09-06-2010, 08:32 PM
money is on the M3 being an import from japan.... but even then the prices over there seem to be the same price range

Kloubek
09-06-2010, 08:35 PM
I'm willing to bet it is a Japanese import as well - 95 is *just* in range of being brought in right? I've never quite understood why that tends to reduce a car's value, but it does.

So, let's go with the assumption it IS an import. Whereas my car is Canadian.

pf0sh0
09-06-2010, 08:43 PM
are there any other mods on the m3? hows the interior?

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-06-2010, 08:46 PM
Ask him for the VIN from the BMW, then you can check if it originated in Japan.

Kloubek
09-06-2010, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by pf0sh0
are there any other mods on the m3? hows the interior?

"amazing condition, in, out, and mechanically, AND I just put in a new clutch too. I also have a couple of extras:

HID Headlights, aftermarket Halo projectors, HID Foglights, Front & Rear Strut Bars, Interior has heated leather seats, a Pioneer deck, and the tires are in great condition"

IF this car originated in Japan, would it have some with the US-spec 240hp motor, or the Euro 282hp?

pf0sh0
09-06-2010, 08:49 PM
I think if it came from japan it should have the euro engine. correct me if i'm wrong though.

BMDUBS
09-06-2010, 08:50 PM
If it is a Japanese import it is even more reason to trade. They came with the Euro spec S50B30 motor that produced 286hp opposed to the North American M3 that made "only" 240. In 1994 BMW Canada had a limited run of Euro spec M3s for sale in Canada 42 in total I think so they are rare in this configuration. I have seen Japanese imports for sale in BC for $13-14k. Big question is why did it need a Clutch at 85k?

Kloubek
09-06-2010, 08:53 PM
Well, if a car is being OFFERED 13-14k, then you know they probably aren't going to get more than 12.5k for it, as I *know* I can (eventually) get for the FD.

Is 85k not a reasonable timeframe for a clutch? Hell, I was burning them out on my old Camaro at a rate of one every couple of years... :)

dj_rice
09-06-2010, 08:56 PM
I thought ur wife wanted you to sell the cars not trade and get another?

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-06-2010, 08:57 PM
Seems pretty early for a clutch. Im at 215000km on the clutch in my Jeep and I got 160000km on the clutch in my Nissan.

pf0sh0
maybe he was bagging it? the first picture on the flickr album of the m3 has a lot of donut marks lol.. not saying it was him.. but maybe right?

Kloubek
Yeah - but if I am stuck with a car anyway, might as well be one that will sell for more, and sell quicker.

maybe he was bagging it? the first picture on the flickr album of the m3 has a lot of donut marks lol.. not saying it was him.. but maybe right?

Nice catch - I'll have to inquire about that! Not too sure how I missed seeing that in the pic!

pf0sh0
09-06-2010, 09:00 PM
touche touche, youre best bet is to actually see it in person and hope for the best. as long as you see the risk in it.

BMDUBS
09-06-2010, 09:02 PM
85K for a clutch is horrible in these cars and indicates that it has been "driven". I concur that these cars are only worth $12k after all dealings are done locally here in Canada. There is one on Kijiji (1994 CDN limited edition) for upwards of $20k with 190k on the clock! These cars are the holy grail for E36 M3's and you could fetch a lot more for them if they were marketed to the USA.... It all depends if your looking for a quick flip or not....

And if it is a US/Canadian spec car forget it altogether as they are not near as special as your RX

t-im
09-06-2010, 09:09 PM
How about this - are you interested in driving the E36 M3? Or is your sole motivation to get something that will be easier to sell?

BMDUBS
09-06-2010, 09:09 PM
Hahahha the picture is even titled "doughnuts":rofl: :facepalm:

Kloubek
09-06-2010, 09:11 PM
I have my Corvette to drive. The intention of this car is not to drive it, but to sell it off. As Rice said, my wife is NOT happy with my "fleet".

Originally posted by BMDUBS

That's friggen retarded.

I know this guy has only had the car for a couple of weeks max; he traded it for a 2005 Maxima he was originally trying to trade me for the RX. So hopefully he's the only one who has ratbagged it. Still, that's ridiculous....

my baaaaad, I wasn't reading :nut:

That's ok... apparently, I wasn't even LOOKING! :)

So, so far, 1 vote for "no trade". Keeping in mind this is a flipping car, do others agree or no?

pf0sh0
09-06-2010, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by BMDUBS

BMDUBS
09-06-2010, 09:19 PM

Hahahah no worries, I wasnt trying to poke fun at anyone but the trader.... I just think its retarded that he is advertising his car with a new clutch like its a bonus and then has the first photo with burn out marks all over the place... Way to sell a car hahahah:

Type_S1
09-06-2010, 09:24 PM
He wants the rx to do more doughnuts DUUUHH.

I don't know they are the same value but his car may have been bagged. People don't buy your RX probably because the ones who are buying a car in that range would rather pay half for a RHD. It takes a real enthusiast to buy your car.

The BMW would be easier to sell IMO then the RX even though I would much rather own the RX

Kloubek
09-06-2010, 09:29 PM
^^ Agree with you on all accounts. Plus I will add that not everyone is keen on the body kit on the RX. (Especially the spoiler. It's a little over the top!)

He tried to "show" me how his was worth more, by showing me an ad for a RHD RX7 priced at 10k. I mean, come on man - compare apples to apples here.

The more I think about it, the more I realize that I *KNOW* my car is in great condition. I also know his car has likely been shitkicked... even if only for a couple of weeks. I'm not one to try to pass of pieces of crap to potential buyers, and I'm unsure whether I'd be forced to make repairs on his car to ensure I didn't have to try. That alone is making me veer towards nixxing the trade at this point.

Unless someone can come up with some profound revelation of why this trade would be a good idea....

RecoilS14
09-06-2010, 09:56 PM
This trade is not in your favor at all!! Your rx-7 holds it's value way better than that ratbagged M3. You would do well to put your rx up on eBay I think as opposed to selling it only locally.

projekz
09-06-2010, 10:06 PM
As much as I like BMWs, I say keep what you have since you already know the car. Like you said; what's the point of trading for something you might have to put money into just to sell it. Just be patient and the FD will sell.

davesparky6
09-07-2010, 07:29 AM
DON'T DO IT!!!
If you go to the sellers flickr profile, he has an album that says "my new M3"... it's dated aug 26th 2010, on aug 21st there are pics of him with his last car.
Either he's had to do all that work in 2 weeks because it's a lemon or he's lying to you.
Stick with what you know...

kvg
09-07-2010, 07:51 AM
Just my opinion, but you know what's up with the rx and don't with the e36.
As for selling one that's tough. There are lots of cheap jdm rx7's but you car is a Canadian car that requires "the right buyer" that isn't buying it to fuck it up. The m3 is a e36(the least desireable m3) but it might be easier to sell. You have a tough call to make. :dunno:

ercchry
09-07-2010, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek
^^ Agree with you on all accounts. Plus I will add that not everyone is keen on the body kit on the RX. (Especially the spoiler. It's a little over the top!)

this body kit IS the reason you still own the car... replace with stock pieces and it will sell, if this was still 2001 it would have sold within the week with that styling... but it is not anymore :rofl:

pf0sh0
09-07-2010, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by ercchry

this body kit IS the reason you still own the car... replace with stock pieces and it will sell, if this was still 2001 it would have sold within the week with that styling... but it is not anymore :rofl:

my thoughts exactly, I just didn't wanna say it hahah

kvg
09-07-2010, 09:38 AM

+1 agreed

Kloubek
09-07-2010, 09:58 AM
I'm with ya guys on the body kit. Many have asked me if I still have the original pieces. One could actually get used parts to make this stock for quite cheap - but I don't think everyone realizes that. And honestly, at 12.5k I don't think it would be worth my while to go find them, paint them, and put them on. Yeah, the car will sell quicker - but I'll also lose even more money then... :(

The joy of buying cars....

Anyway, I appreciate everyone's input. I have emailed him back and told him I wasn't interested.

911fever
09-07-2010, 10:03 AM
forget it, keep trying to sell your car vs an unreliable lemon of an M3

ercchry
09-07-2010, 10:04 AM
well with all the RHD RX-7s around one would think you might be able to pick up already color matched stock bumpers locally and toss them on in a weekend and then make a new ad with a higher price and sell the car... then hell you could even recover some of the cost of that by selling the ugly fiberglass pieces separate!

kvg
09-07-2010, 10:05 AM
Good call:thumbsup:

Kloubek
09-07-2010, 11:43 AM
well with all the RHD RX-7s around one would think you might be able to pick up already color matched stock bumpers locally and toss them on in a weekend and then make a new ad with a higher price and sell the car... then hell you could even recover some of the cost of that by selling the ugly fiberglass pieces separate!

Not quite that easy. Yellow is exceptionally rare.

I know there is a local FD OEM wing I can pick up for cheap, and noses come up from time to time. Just gotta bring em down to Screamin.

The nose was attached in a very odd manner though, and might not be that easy to detatch. Truth be known, I don't even mind the nose THAT much, and actually LIKE the side skirts; it is the rear wing which I puke in my mouth a little every time I walk through my garage.... :)